(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Saturn Moriya

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Uh oh, the forum's going pre-21st century style o:

Ikaruga is killing me (yes it's still easy mode) ;-;
I swear, I can do every stage. Just fine. But when I enter a full playthrough. I just die. For no reason. I lose composure and die a bunch more. And then I just barely lose it in the final stage. I should've been done by now! I want to see other video games again!!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Bee Kirby
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Bee Kirby »

I've been playing Mario Kart 8 a lot recently.
words?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I took down Mario Kart DS. Being able to play the game with the Circle Pad helped with cornering for me to the point where the game was somewhat enjoyable after over eight years of trying to give it a fair shake.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Finally started playing tales of the abyss. I like the gameplay, but the plot is a little too anime for me
That crazy voice dude
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

Still better than Xillia's plot, if you ask me. I could not get into that story at all.

How far into the game are you?
Pyon!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Tales... *shudder*

Those games seem to be famous for their terrible plots. Tales of Symphonia is the *only* game I've ever played where a *plot event* actually made me ragequit the game entirely in disgust...

Warning: Rant!
So, I spend the better part of three or so game hours protecting a loud-mouthed, impulsive girl with the stupid name of "Chocolat", her mother, and the town she lives in from the evil Desians; basically half-elf Nazis. But mostly from one particularly assholish Desian leader, whose name eludes me at the moment. After saving the life of her and her mother at least twice each because of how brazenly outspoken she is against the Desians, she eventually gets kidnapped and taken to a "human ranch"; basically a concentration camp. These things are supposed to be impregnable and inescapable. But the hero, Lloyd, is kind of a ditz, and decided to risk everything to break in and save her. Against all odds, he succeeds... only for the asshole Desian leader to "casually inform" Chocolat that Lloyd killed her grandmother earlier in the game. This is technically true. However, said asshole leader neglects to mention that she was a Desian prisoner, and that the Desians had already irreversibly transformed her into an almost mindlessly violent monster, and the only thing they *could* do was mercy kill her before she went on a murderous rampage. You'd think Chocolat would death glare the Desian leader and accuse him of lying, since about all he's tried to do is kill her, her mother, her townspeople, and Lloyd himself over the last several hours. Or you'd think she'd at least have the decency to ask Lloyd if this is true, giving him his chance to explain, considering all he's done for her. But no. Instead, she completely loses her shit, declares that she hates Lloyd, and that she "doesn't want to be rescued by a murderer", leaving willingly with the same asshole who tried repeatedly to kill her.

At that point, my brain just completely melted. I already had issues with the game's story before that. Mostly, Genis causing all manner of problems, getting no blame for it (with Lloyd taking the fall for every single thing that little shit did), and everyone constantly insulting Lloyd for every little question he asked. Meanwhile, bending over backwards if Colette, who was every bit as naive and clueless as we were constantly told Lloyd was, asked the same question, because she's "the chosen one who will save the world", which made everyone come across as mean-spirited in general, but wanting to suck up to the savior. Argh.

Between all that and the fact that the game seems to *reward* blind button mashing over finesse (you gain "grade" for finishing battles as fast as possible and nothing else, meaning if you fight smart, you'll *lose* "grade", while you'll gain the most if you rapid-fire hammer A), *and* a skill growth system that was poorly explained and I didn't understand one bit... it was just the perfect storm of failure. Maybe I'll give the game another shot, but... yeah. Ugh.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Well this is stupid.

Can't beat boss but need ultimate weapons to do so (particularly Yuna's)-->have weapon but it's not upgraded. Need moon sigil to do so-->need all Aeons in order to do it but need Anima-->need to have solved all destruction sphere puzzles to enter temple-->need to go back to Besaid village to complete destruction sphere puzzle-->need to beat dark Valefor to enter Besaid but he's impossible.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Roy Angrym'n wrote:Still better than Xillia's plot, if you ask me. I could not get into that story at all.

How far into the game are you?
Up to the oasis
That crazy voice dude
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

why do people make such generically settinged rpgs over and over and over

there need to be more Space Funerals and OFFs and MOTHERs in the world
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

No no there needs to be a desert area, a volcano, a beach area, an icy area, a forest, a plains!
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote:Well this is stupid.

Can't beat boss but need ultimate weapons to do so (particularly Yuna's)-->have weapon but it's not upgraded. Need moon sigil to do so-->need all Aeons in order to do it but need Anima-->need to have solved all destruction sphere puzzles to enter temple-->need to go back to Besaid village to complete destruction sphere puzzle-->need to beat dark Valefor to enter Besaid but he's impossible.
Yup. I mentioned that earlier... the Dark Aeons were a... questionable inclusion. The game already had a good three dozen optional superbosses... did it *really* need a bunch more that made the original batch look like infants, in sometimes unavoidable locations that prevent you from returning to previous areas? Fortunately, I've only played the original PS2 American release, which didn't have those.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote:why do people make such generically settinged rpgs over and over and over

there need to be more Space Funerals and OFFs and MOTHERs in the world
Play Maka Maka

Warning it's in Japanese and it's a kusoge
It's also an obvious beta (think Sonic 2006)

I think there's a complete, yet rather basic walkthrough on GameFAQs tho
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

4 seconds.

I was 4 second away.

4 seconds and I would've 1cc'd Ikaruga on easy mode.

THIS ISN'T FUN ANYMORE

Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Beat Mega Man Zero and Mega Man Zero 2.

The first game is super flawed. I don't know what to think of it. The flaws are significant and detract enough from the experience that I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable calling it a good game. But the underlying game is good enough that I don't feel like calling it a bad game either. And it doesn't even really fall in the middle-- instead, it's a fundamentally good game with lots of dumb ideas that hinder enjoyment. I dunno.

Zero 2 was much better. It cut out a bunch of the annoying things from the first game and made it far more enjoyable. Not to mention, I appreciate that this game was structured way more like a Mega Man game. The ending was incredibly bizarre though. It's clear that they knew they were getting a sequel, and decided to use the ending to bridge to that rather than as a real resolution. I... have problems with that, but since I got it as part of a compilation title, it doesn't affect me personally.

Maybe I'll head onto 3 once I'm done with finals (which I need to get back to...)
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

The only Zero game I played was Z4, and that was after both ZX games. I was thinking of starting X1 soon-ish, but all this talk about RPGs with quirky settings reminded me I still have a ways to go with my Earthbound playthrough so I should probably finish that first.

Also, there's a Smash Bros event at our local Best Buy tomorrow and Saturday. I'll be hanging out with my younger cousin tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to convince his parents to let me take him... but that certainly won't stop me from trying! 8-)
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Attempting to play through Final Doom for the first time. TNT is ridiculous. I'm getting the feeling that every second enemy is a chaingunner. Every where I walk there's a hail of hitscan bullets chipping away at my health with nothing I can do. Plutonia is even more ridiculous in a different way: 2 arch-viles in the first fucking level of the game on Hard. Getting ambushed by 5 revenants that teleport in behind you at the same time in the first level of the game on Hard. Holy shit. Even on Easy it's no cakewalk. The jump from Doom 2 to Plutonia is probably about 1.5 to 2 times the jump from SMB to Lost Levels.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Why is Dr. Wily's Revenge Wily Stage 1 so unfair? It makes me reluctant to continue.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

First one's very unrefined, so that leads to some unfair moments. I personally think the stage after that is worse, but good luck. It is a tough one to get through if you don't know what's coming.

I'm trying to find the strength here to start Chrono Trigger. I want to, but I'm also feeling kind of out of it tonight. Oy.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

pholtos wrote:Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
I've been playing a bit of Phalanx to save myself from Ikaruga madness. It really doesn't seem like a very good game to me, but something about it is drawing me in. It feels like a poor man's version of Thunder Force. Long, drawn out, sometimes slow stages (I've only made it to stage 4), throwing the same things at you over and over, and alot of really stupid deaths that feel very unjustified. And the bosses are WAY unbalanced. They either die like they're nothing because you have your weapon powered up, or they take an eternity because you just died a bunch. The "if you die you're pretty much fucked" convention of classic shooters is something I can live with, but this game is kinda dumb.

And as with almost every SNES shooter, the slowdown pretty much breaks it. Really unsatisfying.

E: alright I have to admit stage 5 is pretty cool. Big ol' infiltrate the cores of the giant base. All the stages have something interesting about them. Too bad it's not very well made. At times, especially the stage 2 boss, the game reminds me of Hydorah, the most amazing non-bullet hell horizontal shooter I've ever played.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Yesterday, while watching talkhaus movie night with ~devotee of patchouli~ and her BFFs I forgot to save in RS3 and I accidentally game overed, so I lost two techs that I sparked: Dragon Hit (Mizuchi) and Double Dragon (Double Dragon Wave).

I managed to spark Dragon Hit again (and also Charge). Trying to get Double Dragon now.
agie777 wrote:
pholtos wrote:Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
Long, drawn out, sometimes slow stages (...) [bosses can] take an eternity because you just died a bunch.
This is why I never played past stage 2 on Phalanx

snoresville

EDIT: Got Double Dragon!!! And I beat the Devil Armor by spamming it while on the Hunter Lance formation (the character with the waza, in this case Sharl, was on the back so as to not get hit by the enemy's attacks).
Image Image
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Phalanx is so quorky though! It's like one of those middle school projects that really isn't put together very well, but it has heart.

That said, I don't like how at some point they figured out how to make enemies and projectiles move in chase patterns, and proceeded to put it in as much as they could.

Stage 6 takes a hint from Parodius with some weird billboards in otherwise standard asteroid space. The game keeps throwing things at you that can't be avoided unless you know about them at an exponentially growing rate. Then there's a boss with a swinging four-way shooting arm and I lost my remaining lives. I never want to continue because it's too long and boring to redo stuff in the same sitting, but I'm still gonna try to beat the game.

Tomorrow I will start trying Ikaruga in segments. Kinda feels like it's not legit, but just can't do it anymore. I can't keep focus all the way through, five stages in a row. My TV is tired from standing up straight.

Insert Double Dragon joke I'm too tired to make something up.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Sparked a few more techs, finished a few more quests (mostly Vanguard-related) and beat Forneus in RomaSaGa 3!

Woop~
agie777 wrote:Tomorrow I will start trying Ikaruga in segments. Kinda feels like it's not legit, but just can't do it anymore. I can't keep focus all the way through, five stages in a row. My TV is tired from standing up straight.
Good luck!
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I made it through Find Mii II in StreetPass Mii Plaza thanks to getting a couple of Nintendo employee Spotpasses this week. Glad you can rehire old Miis for this mode since it makes things go faster. Still not sure whether to eventually count this as a game beaten once I've gone through all the split paths or not, but who cares? It's a fun little time waster.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Just did the quest involving the Professor's runaway dragon car.
The battle against the Nitro Zweiger (the aforementioned dragon car) was pretty badass, if a bit easy. To the game's defense, I did power-level a bit.

Magical Tank Battle is one of my fave Squaresoft battle themes~

I also did the quest where you save the Fairy from the travelling circus and the Holy King's trials.

EDIT: Oh and the quest with Maximus, almost forgot about that. Yeah, I got all of the five weapons you get from beating him. Limited inventories are annoying, though (if you don't know that you can lose some if you don't have space, well...). And yes, Herman got rejuvenated into Black after beating Forneus (I kept him mostly in the 6th slot though, dohohoho~).

EDIT 2: And I also went out of my way to get the workshop workers (including Nora).
Image Image