(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Saturn Moriya

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Saturn Moriya »

...yeah, sounds like SD3 has it's share of dumb things. It's really just me trying to justify taking priority for some games over others. We'll see how I feel about it when I actually get around to playing. I can see the issues making it pretty irritating to play for some people, but I think I'll be okay.

SD2 is done. What a weird final boss, though. I mean, I get what it's trying to do, but it doesn't really evolve a whole lot because the script is so bare bone...oh well. Still, lovely lovely game. Glad I gave it a second chance. It's hard to say why I enjoyed it so much this time. Some games I feel, other I don't. Like Illusion of Gaia for example; I played about 10 hours into it, but I just didn't care enough to keep going. It just felt empty and straightforward. While it's probably objectively superior over SoM in many ways.

Next up...trying to get back on Okami! It's been a few weeks. My TV has been on its side for a while now because I've been playing Ikaruga again, and I've been too lazy to tilt it back.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

~*oh murr*~

(grinding for techs to beat a really tough enemy in a quest)
(the tech system in this and RS2 feels kinda weird, but I'll become used to it)
agie777 wrote:What a weird final boss, though. I mean, I get what it's trying to do, but it doesn't really evolve a whole lot because the script is so bare bone...oh well.
Apparently, there was barely any space for dialogue with the English font so a lot of story detail in the script had to get abridged or completely scrapped.

In the words of Ted Woolsey, "this project nearly killed [him]".
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

agie777 wrote:...yeah, sounds like SD3 has it's share of dumb things. It's really just me trying to justify taking priority for some games over others. We'll see how I feel about it when I actually get around to playing. I can see the issues making it pretty irritating to play for some people, but I think I'll be okay.
Yeah, you'd really have to see it in action in order to form your own opinion. In spite of the flaws, I still had fun with the game for the most part. It's definitely worth at least one playthrough.
agie777 wrote:SD2 is done. What a weird final boss, though. I mean, I get what it's trying to do, but it doesn't really evolve a whole lot because the script is so bare bone...oh well. Still, lovely lovely game. Glad I gave it a second chance. It's hard to say why I enjoyed it so much this time. Some games I feel, other I don't. Like Illusion of Gaia for example; I played about 10 hours into it, but I just didn't care enough to keep going. It just felt empty and straightforward. While it's probably objectively superior over SoM in many ways.
One thing about Secret of Mana is that it was actually originally being developed for the SNES CD add-on. When that tanked, the game had to be stripped down to fit on a cart. While it's hard to pinpoint just what was cut, I'd wager a lot of the script got the axe, and probably a fair bit of the late game palace-hopping sequence as well. It's all fully playable, and it's not game-breaking or anything, but some areas, especially the Light Palace and Moon Palace, really felt incomplete to me.

Sure would be nice to someday see an expanded version of this game, with some of the original content/ideas implemented, but I imagine the staff that worked on the game has long since scattered to the winds, and many of the original ideas lost to history.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote:
And before that I killed Yunalesca on my first try. I used the aeon overdrives for the first 2 phases and then just did the last phase normally. I figured out pretty much immediately that the Zombie effect makes you immune to megadeath or whatever it's called, so my strategy was basically to just let the boss turn me into a zombie and once I died I'd get someone to revive that character. In the mean time Auron just kept attacking cause he's amazing.
That was the only time I ever actually got stuck in the game. Even after figuring out the strategy you described I just couldn't pull it off because she'd manage to either kill the zombied character then use the

megadeath

attack or she'd do that first then still manage to kill the zombied character. I ended up having to get some armor or weapon (I forget which) for Yuna which had deathproof on it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, she never really did any of that. I was using Hastega the whole battle which didn't give her a lot of opportunities to screw me over, so that probably made things a lot easier.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I don't think I had hastega at that point in time. Though when I did finally beat her I had ultima unlocked. I ended up spending a ton of time grinding and looking up treasure I'd missed. Overall it was a good 7 months total between first encountering her and finally beating her. Though that was maybe 5 hours per month as well.

Also totally unrelated and off-topic but that last post was apparently my thousandth, neat.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I just completed my no offensive psynergy no djinn summons run of golden sun...
I used a lot of resist and protect buffs because the final boss loves to take those away, beyond that it was a lot of healing and patience as I whittled him down to defeat.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

wow. Needle Man revisited is kind of... badly designed. If you die after the Rush Jet part before reaching the next checkpoint, the whole run's shot because there probably wont be enough ammo on the course to get you through.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I heard about the many quorks of the Secret of Mana production. I do imagine what things would've been like if they had gone through with the CD add on. Where would Sony be at this point- hell, where would everything be at this point.

...chances are things would've been better for the gaming industry.
Leet wrote:wow. Needle Man revisited is kind of... badly designed. If you die after the Rush Jet part before reaching the next checkpoint, the whole run's shot because there probably wont be enough ammo on the course to get you through.
http://youtu.be/m_ZDgOIt5hM?t=8m10s Yep.

Okay so I'm not gonna play Okami yet because Ikaruga is fucking taunting me. I am now at the point where I can get through each individual stage without dying (on easy). I NEED to 1cc this before my tv goes back out of tate mode.

E: aaaaaAAAAAAAAH I GOT SO CLOSE!! 29 seconds on the clock remaining for the post-final boss survival thing, losing the last life on my first credit...also, if the mode says "extend for 2 million, then for every 3 million", shouldn't 11 million give me another life? HUH?! Because that would've saved me and I totally broke 11m.
Last edited by Saturn Moriya 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I give the Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow another try.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay, I think I know why I sucked so hard at Romancing SaGa 2.

I wasn't understanding the Waza system. I didn't master many waza, I only learned a few.

I also avoided battles and pretty much just bruteforced my way through the game.

I also didn't use much magic, so I didn't grow much in terms of jutsu, so I only got the Magic Research Center in the late-game (the Research Center requires an emperor with at least 25 jutsu points IIRC).

I am getting more used to it in Romancing SaGa 3, though.

However, there are a few waza (less than 15) for each type of weapon, but there are only eight slots available in the mastered waza screen. I know there is a limit to how many waza one character can have equipped, but is there a limit to how many waza you can master in one playthrough? If anyone here has played RS3, can anyone give me an answer?

Maybe YK?
agie777 wrote:I heard about the many quorks of the Secret of Mana production. I do imagine what things would've been like if they had gone through with the CD add on. Where would Sony be at this point- hell, where would everything be at this point.

...chances are things would've been better for the gaming industry.
Nintendo wanted most of the profits, something Sony didn't agree with, that's why Nintendo cancelled it.

The PlayStation was made as a rebuttal.
Since Nintendo backed out of the deal without warning Sony (Sony announced the SNES CD at CES 1991, cue Nintendo announcing their partnership with Phillips the day after), Norio Ohga (president of Sony at the time, died in 2011) was outraged and supported Ken Kutaragi's development of the PSX just to get back at Ninty.

Needless to say, it worked.
Image Image
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:I am getting more used to it in Romancing SaGa 3, though.

However, there are a few waza (less than 15) for each type of weapon, but there are only eight slots available in the mastered waza screen. I know there is a limit to how many waza one character can have equipped, but is there a limit to how many waza you can master in one playthrough? If anyone here has played RS3, can anyone give me an answer?

Maybe YK?
Unfortunately, it's been a good ten years or so since I played through RS3, so I can't say I remember everything... but I don't remember there being a hard limit on techs you can learn/master. It could just be that the screen scrolls once you have more than eight techs mastered, but... like I said, it's been so long that I just... don't remember. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Moists:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote:Unfortunately, it's been a good ten years or so since I played through RS3, so I can't say I remember everything... but I don't remember there being a hard limit on techs you can learn/master. It could just be that the screen scrolls once you have more than eight techs mastered, but... like I said, it's been so long that I just... don't remember. Sorry I can't be of more help.
It's okay!

Also, Katrina just learned Bull Crush (or "Brook Rush" as the translation patch calls it)!
1000 damage... Gotta master it quickly, this is going to be really useful!
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So this game I started but stopped a little while ago called Phalanx is a side scrolling danmaku game for the snes. It's... pretty difficult. Going to take a while to beat this one I think.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

You mean Old Man Playing Banjo Simulator?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I flew through a lot of Mario Kart DS yesterday. 150cc and Mission mode are done, so that just leaves winning the Mirror cups before I call this one beaten.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

pholtos wrote:So this game I started but stopped a little while ago called Phalanx is a side scrolling danmaku game for the snes.
Actually, the term is "shoot 'em up", or "shmup" for short.

It's only danmaku if there is a bunch of bullets covering 90% of the screen (see: 2hu, DDP, Ikaruga).

But yeah, horizontal shmups are way harder than vertical shmups.

EDIT: SPARKING BOW TECHS AT THE SPEED OF SOUND
srsly i just sparked like three of them in the same battle like dude

EDIT 2: (A while later...) Bow techs are ridiculously easy to spark and master, yeesh
I'm using the weakest, cheapest bow I could buy (the Hunter Bow), by the way
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Okay so
Jecht Aeon thing is basically just impossible.
I got him down to about half health on his second form before dying but it wasn't really a close battle. Also having to run around touching balls and avoiding icicles in the section before him and then watch a 7 hour long cutscene every time you want to fight him is just stupid as well. I actually decided to look up what to do on this fight and apparently a strategy is to cast Holy on him a lot? I did unlock Holy for Yuna but it takes 85MP to cast and right now I only have Yuna leveled enough so she could cast that a few times. Although that probably means I'm pretty underleveled right now. So I guess at this point in the game I'm just supposed to be grinding?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote:Okay so
Jecht Aeon thing is basically just impossible.
I got him down to about half health on his second form before dying but it wasn't really a close battle. Also having to run around touching balls and avoiding icicles in the section before him and then watch a 7 hour long cutscene every time you want to fight him is just stupid as well. I actually decided to look up what to do on this fight and apparently a strategy is to cast Holy on him a lot? I did unlock Holy for Yuna but it takes 85MP to cast and right now I only have Yuna leveled enough so she could cast that a few times. Although that probably means I'm pretty underleveled right now. So I guess at this point in the game I'm just supposed to be grinding?
First off, I've not tried it, but... apparently Zombie works on Jecht, which stops his crazy healing.

Second, you been to Omega Ruins yet, or done any subquests like obtaining Anima? The former is ideal for grinding (you shouldn't need to overdo it if you're just aiming for the final bosses, but if you want to take on the arena bosses, Dark Aeons, or god help you, Penance... yeah, have fun spending weeks grinding. Whee.), while the latter is just damn powerful.

Third, Yuna's ultimate weapon is pretty easy to unlock (I think you just need to get all the Aeons, which itself isn't a horribly difficult task), and I *think* it has One MP Cost on it. Been a while, so I may be mistaken there, though.

And yeah, the whole sequence just before the final battle is unbelievably stupid and one of the most blatant acts of filler I've ever seen in any game, period.
Edit:
KobaBeach wrote:Also, Katrina just learned Bull Crush (or "Brook Rush" as the translation patch calls it)!
1000 damage... Gotta master it quickly, this is going to be really useful!
Ahahaha. That's one thing I *do* remember about that translation. It was... really bad. Ugly, clunky fixed-width font that resulted in squished text, mistranslations everywhere, nonsensical monster names... it's a shame it's part of the SaGa series, which the internet collectively doesn't give two shits about, because I'd like to see a retranslation of that with the same polish as the upgrades to the Live-A-Live and Rudra no Hihou fan translations. I guess the quality is excusable since it was one of the earliest fan translations, but... yeah, it hasn't aged well at all.
Last edited by YelseyKing 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Moists:

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

...hah. You bwoke it.
Ashan wrote:I really can't believe they "remastered" this game and didn't add an ability to skip cutscenes.
It's really frustrating, cause the first time you watch a custscene it can be really good, but the fact that they made them unskippable, forcing you to watch it every time you want to fight a boss it just ruins everything good about the cutscene cause you're too annoyed about how many times you've seen it.
Yeah, and a lot of the pre-boss cutscenes, specifically the one before the fight with

Yunalesca

, are freaking *long*, too. And that's not an easy fight, either, so I wager quite a few players end up having to re-watch that marathon of scenes multiple times... I know I certainly did. Ugh.

Edit: ...yeah, fight with {TEXT}. Sure thing, board!
Last edited by YelseyKing 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ya missed a closing spoiler tag inbetween a quote me thinks... let's see... the one where he says "Third, Yuna". That mighta screwed it up.

Edit: Yep. That's what screwed it up.
Edit 2: Rena why did it happen, and can you somehow prevent it in the future?
Edit 3: and now the spoiler tags are messed up. Whelp!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i beat M M 3
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Leet wrote:i beat M M 3
Did you have a half empty feeling like me because of the rushed Wily stages?
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Ah, it happened again.
First it was in a PM CM30 sent me, now it's in this thread.

Help us, Rena!!!
YelseyKing wrote:Ahahaha. That's one thing I *do* remember about that translation. It was... really bad. Ugly, clunky fixed-width font that resulted in squished text, mistranslations everywhere, nonsensical monster names...
Fun Fact: Katrina is a mistranslation, her actual name is "Katharina".
Yeah.

There was a Spanish translation patch released some time ago that's kinda based on this one, but I don't know if it fixes some of the translations or not.

Also, I've just been ignoring Tatyana in my party like srsly (she's been in the 6th slot for a while now)
Her weapon stats are gonna suck for a while, but at least her HP will be pretty good?

Most of my party is at like ~450 HP at this point, it's silly

My current party: Katrina, Ellen, Robin, Sharl, Muse, Tatyana

(I also gotta train magic later on)
Leet wrote:i beat M M 3
omedetou
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

Did someone lose their mobile layout somewhere along the lower half of the page?