(shouting)

Assembling a dream "Mega-Arsenal"

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Assembling a dream "Mega-Arsenal"

Post by YelseyKing »

Hey, my first new thread. Wheeeee. And I have a bit of a ... game? Or something.

The unlockable Wily Tower segment of Megaman: Wily Wars has an interesting mechanic: you're allowed to pick eight weapons and three utility items from MM1-3 to take with you into the various stages there. It was definitely a fun concept, but I had an even more grand thought: what if you had the *entire* classic series' weaponry to choose from?

So here's the deal. Taking the weapons from Megaman 1-10, Megaman and Bass, Powered Up, and the five Game Boy games (that is, all the classic games; no X series, fangames (even that ascended Street Fighter fangame), spinoffs, etc), assemble yourself an arsenal of ten robot master weapons, four utility items, and two special items.

For convenience's sake, I'll list all the utility and special items. The robot master weapons should be fairly self-explanatory. Also note, I haven't played 9 or 10, so I don't know if those have any special items. Note that the Mega Buster is always included in your arsenal, and permanent items such as the Energy Balancer are not included in this whole theoretical "game".

Utility Items: (Basically, items that (usually) deal no damage, but can help you get around a stage easier)
-Magnet Beam (1)
-Item-1 (2)
-Item-2 (2)
-Item-3 (2)
-Rush Coil [Springboard] (3, 4, 7)
-Rush Coil [Riding Pogo] (5)
-Rush Jet [Full Control] (3)
-Rush Jet [Single Direction] (4, 5, 7)
-Rush Marine (3, 4)
-Balloon (4)
-Wire (4)
-Power Adapter (6)
-Jet Adapter (6)
-Rush Adapter (7)
-Rush Search (7, MM&B)
-Rush Cycle (8)
-Carry Platform (GB1)
[Edit: Added the Balloon and Wire from 4. Forgot about those last night.]

Special Items: (Miscellaneous selectable items that deal damage, protect you, or heal you, either won from something other than a robot master, or found in a stage or somesuch.)
-Super Arrow (5)
-Proto Shield (7)
-Mega Ball (8)
-Rush Question (8)
-Rush Charge (8)
-Rush Bomber (8)
-Beat [Attack] (5, 6, GB4)
-Beat [Shield] (MM&B)
-Tango (GB5)
-Treble Boost (MM&B) (Technically Megaman shouldn't have this, but if it so pleases ye.)
-Mirror Buster (GB1)
-Sakugarne (GB2)
-Screw Crusher (GB3)
-Ballade Cracker (GB4)
-Spark Chaser (GB5)
...and, anything I missed. (Also, if you think some items I have labelled as special items should be classified as utilities or vice versa, let me know.)

You don't necessarily have to give your reasons for choosing whatever items you do (though you can if you want). I'll be posting my choices in a day or so, depending on how this goes over.
Last edited by YelseyKing 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Assembling a dream "Mega-Arsenal"

Post by Euparkeria »

Oh man oh man I was just thinking about making something like this here! Yesh! Great minds think alike, eh? :D
I guess we will see Metal and Shadow blades as well as MM3 Rush Jet quite frequently. :P Not from me, though. :ugeek:
Well, can't decide right away, but I'll update as I decide. Also I haven't played all so I will not put weapons from those ones yet.

Sub-weapons
Fire Storm (1) Strong, pretty fast + a shield. An easy to use weapon.
Quick Boomerang (2) Fast, rapid, makes you go closer to enemies, which I like. Also I love boomerangs.
Search Snake (3) Super helpful against hedgehogs that block your path, and saves you from grenade trouble. I also like to drop weapons from close range.
Pharaoh Shot (4) Horizontal+diagonal=more challenge when hitting upward/downward enemies. Also you can get your own mini-sun which is freaking amazing. Above-attackers bevare!

Utilities
Rush Jet (all directions)(3) As much as I dislike the game-breaking aspect of this and like the more reasonable Rush Jet from 4 and 5 (I think they're better than the MM7 one in that you can "brake" by pressing the opposite direction: MM7 RJ is different btw.), the other Jets have a major disadvantage which always scares me: that is the fact you fall when you hit a wall. I would try to use this like the other Jets as much as possible.
Jet Adapter (6) One of the most fun and useful utilities in the series. Automatically and quickly refilling energy meter makes this ideal for Fortress stages as no grinding is required. You can also play just fine without taking this off and have it as a "life insurance".
Wire (4) Fun. I like this very much.
Carry Platform (GB1) I finally got to try this out and have to say it's great. Same as others said.
Last edited by Euparkeria 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

WEAPONS
Ice Slasher (MM1) - This often-forgotten gem of a weapon is invaluable in dealing with extremely durable enemies like Big Eyes, or enemies that use shields, like Sniper Joe. Freeze them while they're vulnerable, then fire with the Mega Buster.
Metal Blade (MM2) - Obviously this is going to be on almost every list... but there's a reason for that. Multi-directional aiming, good damage, better range than the Shadow Blade, and not a whole lot of energy consumption.
Search Snake (MM3) - A bit of a conundrum with this one-- I wouldn't take it unless I needed to check for traps. But as I have no way of knowing whether or not this hypothetical game would have false floors, it's probably best to grab it anyway. It wins out over Bubble Lead slightly because of its ability to climb walls.
Flash Stopper (MM4) - This is basically the Time Stopper, except you can shoot while using it and it doesn't use all of its weapon energy every time it's used.
Tornado Hold (MM8) - Kind of made redundant by Rush Jet, but I like it anyway. And at this point (this is the last one I chose) I can't think of anything that isn't already covered by the other weapons I've chosen.
Black Hole Bomb (MM9) - This is one of my favorite weapons in the series. It's... it's a freaking black hole bomb. How can you say no to that? Plus, it's super good at clearing out weak enemies that would otherwise slow your progress. And you can aim it before detonating!
Hornet Chaser (MM9) - Items in hard to reach places? No problem-- this will bring them to you.
Jewel Satellite (MM9) - The best shield in the series. It has durability that things like Skull Barrier and Star Crash can't match, and trumps the previous reigning champion (Leaf Shield) by being usable while moving.
Laser Trident (MM9) - Remember how Crash Bomber and Hard Knuckle were super strong and could knock down walls, but were kind of slow, took a lot of weapon energy, and would vanish after detonating? Yeah. This doesn't have those problems. It's fast, smashes through walls, and pierces enemies. Plus, you can fire two shots per unit of energy. I wish I had had this back in MM2-- I'd really like some revenge on that freaking Boobeam Trap.
Grab Buster (MM5 GB) - Useful for regaining some lost health. Of course, this would probably mean having to fight Mercury again, who is a jerk who can steal your E-Tanks, so that's a bit of a problem...

UTILITY ITEMS
Rush Jet (MM3) - This basically makes everything else redundant. You can fly. You have full range of movement. And it doesn't use weapon energy unless you're actually standing on it, so if you just keep hopping, you'll be good.
Super Adaptor (MM7) - Gives more aerial mobility and power without consuming weapon energy. A good backup if Rush Jet is out of power, or if something doesn't quite necessitate his use. ...plus, I just think the Super Adaptor transformation is cool.
Rush Cycle (MM8) - One of the few ways in this series to go fast. Admittedly, this isn't particularly useful since the games aren't generally designed with speed in mind, but it's nice to have when the opportunity presents itself.
Carry (MM1 GB) - The advantage Carry has over things like Item-1 is that it appears below you when you deploy it. Equip it when making a blind jump and you have a nice way to save yourself from sudden spikes or pit traps.

SPECIAL ITEMS
Beat (MM5) - Useful for tearing the inevitable Wily saucer to shreds. Your "vanish and reappear" trick doesn't work too well when I've got an angry robo-bird waiting for you everywhere you go.
Screw Crusher (MM3 GB) - Hey there, powerful weapon that I can shoot over 100 times without recharging. How you doing?
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Ishntknew wrote: Jewel Satellite (MM9) - The best shield in the series. It has durability that things like Skull Barrier and Star Crash can't match, and trumps the previous reigning champion (Leaf Shield) by being usable while moving.
Did you forget about Junk Shield or do you think Leaf Shield's better?
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

I prefer Leaf Shield because of its instant deployment and unlimited durability. Sure, you can't move while using it, but I think those advantages made up for it, especially during platform rides and when grinding for energy. Junk Shield was second on my list before Mega Man 9 came around, though.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

[Weapons]
1) Thunder Beam (MM1) - This is one of the most overpowered weapons in the series as it just tears through things and fast.

2) Jewel Satellite (MM9) - And this is the best shield in the series bar none as it doesn't really go away.

3) Ring Boomerang (MMIV) - In the Game Boy game, this tool can grab items for you. That's why I love it.

4) Tornado Hold (MM8) - It stops shots and gives you a lift about as high or maybe higher than a Rush Coil boost would. I'll take it!

5) Laser Trident (MM9) - While it doesn't have Metal Blade's multi-directional range, it does pierce shields. That's good enough for me.

6) Top Spin (MM3) - Takes out a lot of enemies, including one boss, in one hit. This thing is one of those power-ups that so many people refuse to use because they hold the button down, draining the weapon entirely, instead of tapping to keep its energy up. Great weapon.

7) Oil Slider (MMPU) - I like flying through stages, and this weapon lets me surf on water and speed through rooms with ease. It's like Charge Kick in that you get hurt if you can't take out an enemy, but it's more for traveling than fighting.

8) Ice Wave (MM8) - Great for ground-based enemies. It's like a souped up version of Bubble Lead or Search Snake in that regard.

9) Astro Crush (MM8) - Screen-clearing tool. Simple as that.

10) Wheel Cutter (MM10) - Allows you to climb walls at lightning speed, so like Oil Slider, it's more valuable for flying by levels than fighting.

Utilities
1) Rush Jet (MM3) - Unbelievable amount of control and high energy if you keep hopping. Definitely the most overpowered tool in the series.

2) Jet Adapter (MM6) - Can save you in spike drop sections if you hold the button while entering a room, but it's more to fly up high and skip trouble altogether than anything.

3) Magnet Beam (MM1) - Has a decent amount of ammo, and you can cover more ground with it than Item 1. Carry's best for spike drop sections, but I think Magnet Beam would be more effective.

4) Rush Cycle (MM8) - You don't get damaged while riding on it and keeps up with my liking of tools to get you through levels fast... plus it's a dog cycle. Come on. That's just cool.

Special
1) Rush Bomber (MM8) - If a screen's packed with enemies, let Rush drop the bombs on them while you just keep on moving ahead.

2) Ballade Cracker (MMIV) - I remember this being like Metal Blade, except that it's explosive and has less ammo. It's still worth it.

I wish I could've put Grab Buster (MMV), Bubble Bomb (MMV), Noise Crush (MM7), Flash Bomb (MM8), Concrete Shot (MM9), and Water Shield (MM10) on the list, but oh well.
TheKirBro

Post by TheKirBro »

MY LIST:
Weapons:
Quick Boomerang: MMII (NES)
Sure, this may be short ranged, but this thing has a TON of uses. Plus, it's rapid fire. I find this to be almost- if not just as- good as the Metal Blade. Only downside is that it is short-ranged, but it's managable.
Search Snake: MMIII (NES)
This can crawl just about anywhere, attack and even collect items. This could be useful if there were items in very hard to reach places.
Dive Missile: MMIV (NES)
Oh jeez, a homing missile. It is useful for when you need to dodge and there are enemies in your way. If this theoretical game had any cheap enemy placement, this would be useful.
Flash Stopper: MMIV (NES)
The Time Stopper was a good idea, but it drained all the way. Flash Stopper fixes this GREATLY by freezing the enemies, and you are still able to shoot. Also useful for the theoretical game if it had cheap enemy placement.
Star Crash: MMV (NES)
Not much to say about this one. (kinda like MMV in general) Although this is, honestly, the most useful weapon in Mega Man 5. It is a shield that you can move with, and can be thrown. Could be useful.
Wind Storm: MMVI (NES)
This weapon flings some enemies off the screen. Not really too useful, but can provide some laughs.
Black Hole Bomb: MMIX (Wii/XBox 360/PS3)
Probably one of the best weapons in the series, honestly. It sucks in enemies and can damage mini-bosses and bosses. This can be good for when you are in need of health, or are low on weapon energy for another weapon you like.
Tornado Hold: MMVIII(PSX/Sat)
The only real use is for vertical platforming. Sure, it can take out enemies from above, but this feels more like a utility.
Ice Wall: MM&B(Super Famicom/GBA)
This is essentially a MMIII Rush Jet with less time, no vertical control and the ability to damage enemies. If the Rush Jet fuel is out, this has some use.
Hornet Chaser: MMIX (Wii/XBox 360/PS3)
All I can say with this one is: BEES! I AM THE GOD OF BEES! (okay so they aren't exactly bees, but they behave a bit like them)

Utilities:
Rush Jet (Full Control): MMIII (NES)
This is probably the best way of going from place to place. I think everyone knows that.
Jet Adapter: MMVI (NES)
Good for double jumping/jumping higher. It can also recharge on it's own when you are standing somewhere, which is great.
Rush Cycle: MMVIII (PSX/Sat)
A fast way of going horizontally, and you don't even take damage if you run into enemies. The problem with this utility, however, is that you can only use it once a stage.
Item #3: MMII (NES)
It could come in handy if I run out of energy for Rush Jet and the Jet Adapter can't reach my destination.

Special:
Proto Shield: MMVII (SNES)
A super useful shield item for projectiles. The Mega Buster can be used with the shield, as well. Although it can't protect you from robots slamming into you, it's still very useful.
Mega Ball: MMVIII (Sat/PSX)
Okay, why does this exist? I only chose this just to joke around. Although to be fair, it does bounce around for a short time or until it hits an enemy, and it is a good alternative for the Rush Jet (spring), but other than that, this feels more like a joke item.

okay this is just going on for too long i'm so sorry m8s
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

All right, here's mine, as promised.

Weapons:
1) Thunder Beam (1)
Extremely powerful weapon, can break the same blocks the Super Arm is able to lift, and has a nice extra effect of firing extra shots straight up and down.

2) Ice Slasher (1)
Useful for freezing enemies. Better than the Spark Shock by simple virtue of the fact that you can switch back to the Mega Buster and actually *kill* stuff you've frozen.

3) Metal Blade (2)
No surprise here. Eight-directional firing capabilities? Stronger than the Mega Buster? Comparatively little energy usage? Yes, please.

4) Flash Stopper (4)
Being able to freeze time entirely can be a godsend in some situations. That it doesn't drain the whole bar makes it infinitely superior to the Time Stopper.

5) Rain Flush (4GB)
Even with its slight delay, this is my favorite screen clearing weapon. Astro Crush is a bit stronger, and Gravity Hold is more fun to watch in action, but Rain Flush also hits armored enemies such as Mets and Shield Attackers. I picked the GB version because it uses only a single bar of energy per shot, making it *very* spammable.

6) Grab Buster (5GB)
Even though it's a little awkward to use, being able to restore your own energy without farming for energy capsules is indeed a nice thing.

7) Junk Shield (7)
I've not played 9, so I've yet to experience the Jewel Satellite. Junk Shield is pretty good in its own right, though. It can take and deal a fair bit of damage before it's destroyed, and it stays up until it is. Excellent for dealing with large numbers of weak enemies, or whittling down stronger ones.

8) Tornado Hold (8)
It can shred large enemies. It can block projectiles. *And* it can boost you to new heights. Yessir.

9) Ice Wave (8)
Shreds any enemies foolish enough to hug the floors or walls. By its nature, it also *should* work to sniff out those hidden pits of the kind seen in Burnerman's stage and one of the Wily Fortress stages in MM2.

10) Remote Mine (MM&B)
Flash Bomb could be a decent substitute, but I like the fact that Remote Mine can be controlled, and can also be detonated. Absolutely shreds larger, stronger enemies.

Utilities:
1) Rush Jet (3)
Another no-brainer. I actually only even put the 4/5/7 version up on the list as a joke; I really didn't expect anyone to take it over this version. :P

2) Item-1 (2)
Little platforms can be a big help sometimes.

3) Magnet Beam (1)
Fun fact: Until recently, I thought that holding down the button to create larger platforms took more energy. Turns out, it doesn't, so I wasted so much time all these years making one-tile-wide platforms. Yay?

4) Rush/Super Adapter (7)
Not *quite* as good as the Jet Adapter in 6, but combining the Power Adapter features into it is definitely a plus.

Special Items:
1) Beat (5/6)
Tango is a cat, and for that I love him. But the fact of the matter is, Beat is just *better*. Poor kitty.

2) Spark Chaser (5GB)
I had fun with this silly weapon. Seeking out and then hovering over enemies to damage them repeatedly... fun times.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Weapons:
Ice Slasher (1)
Super Arm (1)
Charge Kick (5)
Slash Claw (7)
Flame Sword (8)
Filler (whatever) x5

Utilities:
Magnet Beam (1)
Rush Marine (3)
Jet Adapter (6)
More filler (whatever)

Special Items:
Super Arrow (5)
Proto Shield (7)/More Super Arrow

I prioritized fun over actual utility and logic here, if you couldn't tell. I like my Mega Man abilities to be short-range, situational, and/or usable for mobility purposes, I also like the Ice Slasher, and one bar of Super Arrow isn't enough Super Arrow. Pretty sure that covers everything.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Weapons:
  1. Wheel Cutter (10): I like the utility it has of being able to climb walls. It lets me get out of tight situations quickly.
  2. Electric Shock (GB5): It's like a version of Thunder Beam that I can use as a taser! Enemies are going to be SOL against this one.
  3. Jewel Satellite (9): Definitely will need a shield weapon, and this one is quite durable to boot. All I really need to do now is to down Jewel Man first...
  4. Concrete Shot (9): A building-block tool that can also block lasers (and maybe enemies)? Sign me up!
  5. Grab Buster (GB5): A weapon that can steal health from enemies is a pretty ideal weapon for those long, unforgiving stages...
  6. Ring Boomerang (4, GB4): ...as is one that can grab stuff from behind barriers.
  7. Break Dash (GB5): As long as I'm going for utility, I might as well stock up on a dash that attacks enemies and grants invulnerability. It's no Comet Dash, but it comes close.
  8. Search Snake (3, GB3): Search Snakes allow me to detect where it's safe to land in those tricky "ambiguous" or dark areas, and they carry a bit more bite than Bubble Lead.
  9. Gravity Hold (5): While there are quite a few entire-area attacks out there, I choose this one simply because I find it amusing when enemies go flying into the stratosphere and beyond.
  10. Dive Missile (4, GB3): If an enemy is being really tricky, I can use this weapon to do him in with less fuss than usual. While it's not as broken as Metal Blade, at least there's less of a chance for the enemy to reliably dodge.
Utilities:
  1. Rush Coil [Springboard] (3, 4, 7): A must-have item. It may not be as powerful as the adaptors from 6/7, but it's a good, convenient use for a robo-dog.
  2. Rush Jet [Full Control] (3): This one's the more useful of the two Rush Jets, for obvious reasons.
  3. Rush Search (7, MM&B): Rush: My personal Eddie substitute.
  4. Rush Cycle (8): While not as versatile as the Rush Jet, it's still quite neat for quickly traversing ground.

Special:
  1. Beat [Attack] (5, 6, GB4): Nothing says "I will personally ruin you and your friends" like an obnoxious bird to the enemy's face...
  2. Spark Chaser (GB5): ...unless said bird is actually a miniature and even more obnoxious laser.
So basically, I tend to favor weapons/items that are versatile, capable of attacking/defending from enemies as competently as possible, and/or are simply amusing (as with Gravity Hold). None of them are Metal-Blade-grade in terms of OP-ness, but they work just as well for me.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Weapons!
1. Ice Wall (MM&B) - Despite not sounding or looking like an offensive item, it can kill one of the most durable Mega Man enemies in the entire series in one hit. If that somehow isn't 'nuff said, it has an unexpected and impressive range, can kill multiple enemies in one use, and you can stand on it to use as either a stepping stone or a sled. If that's also not 'nuff said, I've beaten Burner Man's stage using only the Ice Wall, and it's so good that I got to Burner Man without taking damage and with enough ammo left to defeat him. As Mega Man.
2. Bright Stopper (MM4) - With Ice Wall, I'm kind of at a loss for what other weapons I could have without Ice Wall being able to do the job better. Well... Ice Wall doesn't stop time, I guess. And stopping time is useful. Very useful.
3. Flash Stopper (MM2) - Very useful.
4. Air Shooter (MM2) - Okay I guess I actually should get something for air control, honestly. Air Shooter is pretty good at that.
5. Wave Burner (MM&B) - Actually, everything here takes up tons of ammo, thinking about it. They're all destructive enough that I shouldn't NEED more ammo than I have, but... If I mess up, well, this is destructive and basically never runs out. It's just not as fun to use, being such a close-range weapon.
6. Jewel Satellite (MM9) - Best shield in the series, perfect for any precarious platforming areas that I want to be able to concentrate on. Junk Shield doesn't get to be the best because it lets projectiles inside like they were old friends coming to visit.
7. Wheel Cutter (MM10) - Oh yeah, this lets me climb walls. It's cool.
8. Laser Trident (MM9) - It's light on ammo and does decent damage, and it pierces through stuff. I'm kind of running out of things that I could still potentially want or need!
9. Fire Storm (MM1) - Oh! Right! Did you know there's a glitch where if you fire this and then fire again before the first shot goes offscreen, instead of shooting again you'll have that swirling fireball thing circling you for 10-15 seconds or so? It kind of turns it into a more versatile Junk Shield.
10. Search Snake (MM3) - No special reason for this one, really. I just like the unique range and rapid shooting it has.

(Top Spin would be here but the only situation I could see actually using weapons from every game is against enemies from every game, and that is simply TOO MUCH trial and error for it to be worthwhile.)

Utilities!
1. Carry (Game Boy MM1) - How could you possibly not want a utility platform that appears beneath you? None of those others can save you from a bottomless pit!
2. Rush Cycle (MM8) - It doesn't really help you get places most of the time, but dang it, it's fun zipping through stages on this thing! It's even useful beyond that, too- you're invincible while riding it. Getting hit just lowers the amount of time you have left on the bike.
3. Magnet Beam (MM1) - I actually like Magnet Beam a lot. Even better than MM3 Rush Jet, in some ways, because you don't have to bother with hopping a bunch.
4. Rush Search (MM7/MM&B) - 'Cause I sure do like using my weapons! That, and I can't think of anything I'd really want beyond the first three. Well, there is one thing, but...

Special Items!
1. Mega Ball (MM8) - ...that one thing is a special item instead. So, this thing is an alright weapon I guess, but that's not important. You know what is important? Unlimited double jumps. Unlimited double jumps are important. I don't even need MM3's Rush Jet if I have this baby (and Magnet Beam for horizontal travel.)
2. Rush Charge (MM8) - 'Cause I REALLY like using my weapons. Especially my double jumps oh yes oh yes oh yes~

I think this is the first time I bothered thinking about a list like this. Pretty fun~ Kinda interesting to get a glimpse of everybody's playstyles!
I don't really get it but okay