(shouting)

Wii U: The threadening

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Eila

Wii U: The threadening

Post by Eila »

Unless I am absolutely blind, I can't find a general WIiU Thread. so I will ask something here if that's fine.

Mario Kart has sold me on getting a WiiU. it has some other games I'd like but it just looks fun as hell. But I can get this Premium WiiU or a Basic WiiU.

So my local shop sells both, and both come with MK8. I am wondering if the Premium is worthwhile getting over the Basic? 280 dollar pricetag on the Basic + 2 games, 430 on the Premium + 2 games.

Any ideas? I'd like to get one and play this but I don't really know if the Premium is worth it.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mario Kart: The Game That Kills Friendships

Post by Bwarch »

Okay so the main thing is that the deluxe Wii U comes with a lot more hard drive space. So it depends upon what you plan to do with it.

If you plan on downloading a ton of games from the shop, probably go for the deluxe. If you plan on just buying mostly physical games, go for the basic.

Also the basic is white so prints and whatnot show up less, if that matters to you.

Also the deluxe where I'm at comes with Nintendo Land which is a friggin' AWESOME game but apparently you have a different deal??

But yeah Nintendo Land is really quite fun, especially with friends so if that's part of the deal you might want to consider that too.
Eila

Post by Eila »

I probably would buy more games from the shop, so I'd need a fair bit of harddrive space.

And this is what the Premium gets me:
Black Wii U console with 32GB of storage
Black Wii U GamePad controller
Mario Kart 8
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U via Digital Download from Nintendo eShop* (8 other digital titles to choose from.
it does sound like the premium is the better choice really, just that is a load of money when I am saving up for some other stuff.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It depends what the price difference is between the Basic and the Premium and whether you'd intend to get the stuff that comes with the Premium separately if you did get the Basic. Generally though if you think the Wii U is worth it then the Premium is worth it.

Even though it's kind of off-topic to the thread, Nintendo Land is pretty good. The games in it vary wildly in quality, with some bad ones and one downright shit one (Caption Falcon's Twister Race) but there's two really good multiplayer games (Mario Chase & Luigi's Ghost Mansion) and one excellent single-player game (Donkey Kong Crash Course). The rest of the games are average to good.

NSMBU has probably the best level design of the NSMB series but it's still the NSMB series so you will get that soulless feeling. It's still a fun romp though, it just doesn't really do anything new.
Eila

Post by Eila »

I ended up buying the Premium one. So I get MK8, this Skylanders thing, Nintendoland, and a downloadable game I choose out of 8 available ones. Games like NSMBU, Game and Wario, Monster Hunter 3 and some other ones. Dunno what I will get, I only really wanted MK8.

Oh well, excitement ensues regardless!
devil†zukin

Re: Wii U: The threadening

Post by devil†zukin »

bwarch forced me to split this off
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Rénà wrote:bwarch forced me to split this off
With a stick!
Eila wrote:I ended up buying the Premium one. So I get MK8, this Skylanders thing, Nintendoland, and a downloadable game I choose out of 8 available ones. Games like NSMBU, Game and Wario, Monster Hunter 3 and some other ones. Dunno what I will get, I only really wanted MK8.

Oh well, excitement ensues regardless!
I would probably recommend NSMBU IF you haven't played any other games in the NSMB line of games. Because honestly they're all really samey so if you've played one you've basically gotten all the experience you need out of the series.

If you have played NSMB at all Wario games always seem to be pretty decent so Game and Wario might be worth going for.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

How tyrannical.
Bwarch wrote:I would probably recommend NSMBU IF you haven't played any other games in the NSMB line of games. Because honestly they're all really samey so if you've played one you've basically gotten all the experience you need out of the series.
Basically this. I'm probably getting Monster Hunter when I get round to it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Falky wrote:
How tyrannical.
No that was last week.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I like this system for the most part outside of the anemic third-party support. I'd have to say that Super Mario 3D World is the best game on the system to date, but there are some other top candidates.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Pikmin 3 or bust BEAN...

I dunno like, 3D World is pretty swell but for some reason I haven't really felt the need to complete it, and playing it began to feel like a chore? Even though it's really all well and good???

Maybe it was too easy or something, dang. I can't even parse my own opinion haha.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

This is a Wii U thread and no one's mentioned Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? Well, fixed. It's an extremely good game and I would recommend it to any Wii U owner. Plus, soundtrack composed by David Wise. David Wise. But it's not perfect: the loading times... and you can't retry bonus rooms right away.

Please don't spoil anything about the game for me. I'm not even nearly finished.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I'm not getting Wii U yet, mainly because of my huge wishlist on older consoles that I keep complaining about.

THERE'S TOO MANY GAMES I LIKE

It feels like a waste to buy one now if it'll be available for under 100 euro's in about half a decade.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem sounds damn attractive though.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

Wow rude
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If you want the full list of games to get that are exclusive to the system then:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Nintendo Land
NES Remix 2 (1's okay, 2's better)
The Wonderful 101
Lego City Undercover

I might be forgetting stuff, but it's a solid list of exclusives so far. Plus there's always multi-plat stuff like Rayman Legends which was okay.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

I would recommend MH3U to every owner of the Wii U.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Fluffi-dono wrote:I would recommend MH3U to every owner of the Wii U.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hates grinding. Most things in the Monster Hunter series are pretty fun. But they're not fun to repeat 50 times just to get the materials you need for an upgrade so you can progress.
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

Fluffi-dono wrote:I would recommend MH3U to every owner of the Wii U.
I second this person's opinion.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I've seen the MH game on Wii U and all I can say is: man you guys are nuts that game sucks haha.

A game with mediocre combat, sluggish enemies that telegraph five seconds in advance and whatnot??? AND MINING. WHY MINING. *clunk* *get item* *Clunk* *Get item*

I watched my brother play this and I was just flabbergasted.

It's basically "Hey we heard you liked MMOs here's one you can play on your own if you so wish."
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Monster hunter is super fun you're dumn bwarch

Like, it's not really something that is fun watching, I think. You got to experience and get used to the subtleties of the combat by yourself, bit by bit (that is if you don't pick a crappy weapon type like sword and shield UGH)

The fact that the enemies do telegraph their attack is essential. You cannot dodge that easily yourself, and on the later ranks getting hit by anything MURDERS you, so you really have to identify every monster's attack and react accordingly

I'm playing it with my brother and my sister (2 3DS and 1 WiiU) from time to time and it's super fun, really. God bless the promotion that gave a second copy of the game on the 3DS for free

I do agree with Alice that the grinding is pretty terrible though. stupid 2% drop gems.

e : actually that reminded me of something, when I was in high school the old PSP Monster Hunter (was it the first one? idk) was a pretty big fad and a lot of people were playing it. I didn't have a PSP so I never played it more than a few minutes on someone else's game to try it out and because of that I couldn't see the appeal in the game, I had pretty much the same feeling as Bwarch ("OMG SO SLOW" and stuff). I really wondered what so many people were seeing in it.
And now a few years later, after I actually tried to get into the game (granted it's a sequel but it doesn't seem to have changed much honestly) I really like it. it's really a game you have to, like, "experience" for yourself, I feel. If that post even makes sense. whatever !

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Fair enough. I really did just watch (And only for a bit of grinding and one monster fight) so maybe there's something I'm missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I've only heard bad things about Game & Wario. It's not WarioWare: it's a gamepad tech demo that's had Wario shoved in. I don't mean that as an insult but quite literally: it literally is a tech demo that would have come with every Wii U that instead got released as a game.

NSMBU is pretty much NSMBWii but with one or two different powerups and better levels.
SM3DW is pretty much SMB3DL but with one or two different powerups and better levels.
If you really like their previous incarnations then you'll probably enjoy them but there's nothing radically new in them. However, if you've never played their previous incarnations then they'll feel new. Although if you haven't played NSMBWii, why the hell not? Get on that shit! It and NSMBU are both leagues better than NSMB & NSMB 2.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I'd seen an LP of NSMB Wii and I was really disappointed in the final boss of NSMB U. It seemed so boring in comparison.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Jesuiscontent wrote:e : actually that reminded me of something, when I was in high school the old PSP Monster Hunter (was it the first one? idk) was a pretty big fad and a lot of people were playing it.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the only one I'm aware of on the PSP.

Not the thread for that but I have a funny story involving getting really stupidly drunk to the point where I had trouble standing and was instead lying on the floor and playing that with one of my friends and not taking a single hit from one of the elder dragon enemies (the small really fast one that's similar to a unicorn) while my friend nearly failed the mission for us when he was the sober one. (This was with me wielding a huge hammer by the way so I couldn't block attacks like his lance build.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I haven't touched my Wii U since WWHD. Probably won't again until the new Zelda.