(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Saturn Moriya

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I see...I'm not willing to go through that to play a game. And there indeed are two english translations for RS3, but neither are 100% complete and playable (while the Spanish version IS :/), hell I think they're abandoned. When I get into a game, I want to experience it completely, without having to look things up (unless I get stuck for like half an hour due to good ol' game design, that'll make me break that rule). It's a shame these rules stop me from playing the game, but I'd rather maybe get the full experience years from now and maybe never, than having to look at a faq every three steps for at least a large portion of the game.

I'M SORRY I don't know my Touhou hats and I never touched a Digimon once ;-;

My favorite is Suwako. She has the classiest hat of all.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

...maybe it's because I don't really feel so many emotions.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

agie777 wrote:shtuff
It's ok, I understand.

Personally, I have a hard time playing RPGs without a FAQ the first time through because I'm always afraid that I'll fuck something up or miss something (I'm a bit of a completionist).

Low self-esteem sure is a thing, is it not?
agie777 wrote:I'M SORRY I don't know my Touhou hats ;-;
You got the hat right, you just got the character wrong.

That's a Digimon, not a 2hu.

His name is Leomon.
He's p. cool and he

turned me into a furry, the bastard

He can digivolve into a banchou and that's cool. Yare yare daze and what not (also I haven't read JoJo in a while now)

(I'm reading the JoJo manga btw)
agie777 wrote:My favorite is Suwako. She has the classiest hat of all.
She sure does. Pyonta is an awesome hat type thing.

I like Koishi because she's weird and she likes penises. I can relate.

(don't worry that's a link to her embers of love spellcard btw)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I'm pretty much an anti-completionist. Not that I hate the concept, I'd just rather get through a game with the resources I found on my own. Take Mega Man X for example. I could look around for hours to find everything, or use a guide to go on a visit-everything quest, and have max life for the sigma stages. But I feel more accomplished when I get through everything with the life extensions I earned for myself. Of course it's impossible not to find out about some secrets in games, because this is the internet after all. I like to keep it to the limits of what just happens though.

I never made it that far into Subterranian Animism. Didn't even put the time in to learn her first few spellcards yet. I've kinda out-touhou'd myself and I'm getting more into the manic shooters.

Crimzon f-ing Clover for instance, is a beast very different from touhou. Less focus meditation-y feel, more pure adrenaline.

I've also been playing Ikaruga alot, but I still can't 1cc it, even on easy.

And then there's the Cave shooters. I own some of the games, but I still have to import a 360. I'm weird.

Digimon is a thing. I have no idea of what kind. All I know is that it may or may not be a Pokemon clone. And I don't even care that much about Pokemon.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

agie777 wrote:Digimon is a thing. I have no idea of what kind. All I know is that it may or may not be a Pokemon clone.
Only in the 'monsters that evolve and hang out with kids' part.

Other than that, it's an entirely different beast altogether, both the anime and the games.

Pokémon is still p. cool tho~
I haven't played any pokeymans in a loooooooong time though, maybe I should get into it again.

EDIT: Shmups are awesome though, but I'm still pretty bad at them. But who knows, maybe I'll be able to 1cc lots of them in the future?

The best I can do (outside of Touhou, which is pretty easy in terms of danmaku) is Loop 1 Stage 4 in DoDonPachi, Loop 1 Stage 3 in DDP DaiOuJou and Loop 1 Stage 3 in Battle Garegga

I'm also okay at Fantasy Zone (a hori shmup series by SEGA, also where I got my username)

Battle Garegga is awesome btw
Battle Bakraid is meh
Image Image
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I'm way into the Sega Saturn. It's my favorite system. It has all of the games for all of the genres! I want all of the shooters, and I refuse to emulate them. So yeah I'm basically gonna ignore useless things like cars or whatever and I'm saving up for those.

Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Don/Dodonpachi, Guardian Force, Radiant Silvergun, Shienryu, Shippu Mahou Daisakusen, Soukyugurentai and Thunder Force 5 are all priority number one. And that's just the Saturn Shooters, not even naming one non-shooter on the BEST SYSTEM EVER.

...but there's also a bunch of shooters on PS2 and 360 that I need to import for. And then there's all the other games for SNES, Genesis, PS1- and 2 that I need. I've basically spent all my money for the next 5 years.
(Disclaimer: don't spend all your money on video games. Other things exist in life. Sometimes perhaps maybe.)

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Yeah, the Saturn is awesome~

Too bad most of its good games were stuck in Japan. It also has a surprising amount of JRPGs!

I should play some games on it, though. Maybe Astal, Super Tempo, Mr. Bones (InsaneIntentions has to play this game), Keio Flying Squadron 2, the Panzer Dragoon series...

Of the few games I've played, my faves are NiGHTS and Virtual-On. A fun as all heck score attack game and an awesome fighting game with mecha (the Dreamcast/XBOX 360 sequel, Oratorio Tangram, is god-tier, though)!

I don't really have a favorite system, I think all of them are good in some way. (except for stuff like the Lynx, the Jaguar, the Virtual Boy, the Xbox One...)

P.S. Speaking of Virtual-On, I should try out the Armored Core and Zone of the Enders series too. Those aren't Saturn or Sega related, but still... Giant robots are so awesome~
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

speaking of pokemon since im kind of disatsified with pokemon lately i wanted to make a game that was like pokemon except cooler and stuff so i was messing around with rpg maker but motivation to make it comes and goes
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Leet wrote:speaking of pokemon since im kind of disatsified with pokemon lately i wanted to make a game that was like pokemon except cooler and stuff so i was messing around with rpg maker but motivation to make it comes and goes
If you need any sort of help, gimme a call yo.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I killed the boss I mentioned in my last post. Turns out the trick is to cast reflect on him. I didn't know reflect applies to healing spells until now.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Once again, the world is safe from Sigma... for a while, anyhow. I just finished Megaman X3... what is it with the Megaman X games and being generally fair, but having ridiculous final battles out of nowhere? Seriously, a tiny, hard to hit target that can only be damaged with charged shots, and those crazy unpredictable mines... I'd honestly hate to try that battle without the two armor upgrades, as the stuff in that battle deals enough damage *with* both of them... yikes.

I actually did a dual-playthrough of X3. The X Collection version, and the SNES original, mostly to see what differed between the two. As it turns out... not a whole lot. Animated opening and ending, and animated sequences showing off the boss when you start a stage. Also remixed music. Other than that, seems to be the same game.

Onwards to X4!
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Leet wrote:speaking of pokemon since im kind of disatsified with pokemon lately i wanted to make a game that was like pokemon except cooler and stuff so i was messing around with rpg maker but motivation to make it comes and goes
Rpgmaker? Allow me to give you a small bit of coding advice, yes?

Try not to use the party member slots for the "pokemon", as it will restrict you to 1 of any type, (or how ever many times you're willing to break your back copying them and making an offset.)

Use a look-up for the stats instead, like this:
In this set-up, my monster_01 slot is the fetch buffer, which I can copy over slots 2-9 with one enemy.
For a monster-catching game, it would not take too much effort to create a blank template to be used for friendly monsters with player-party unique stats. Just be careful you don't overwrite them with something else!

Uuh... keeping on topic. I have been playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl with my neighbour lately, and I recently restarted my game of Pokemon Black, because, why not?
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Leet

Post by Leet »

Oh, I didn't think about having multiple of the same monster in the party, primarily since I've never really done that myself in games like that. Thanks, I'll look into that method as well as any others I find.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Which version of RPG Maker? There's a full dev kit for making Pokemon games in RMXP, you could use that for reference.

If you don't have XP, the Humble Weekly Bundle is still going for another 11 hours. 6 bucks or more gets you XP, a number of resource packs and several sweet games.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Leet

Post by Leet »

im using 2003 and i also have vx ace but i dont like it much

unfortunately, i wont be able to buy the bundle to get XP in the next 11 hours as ill probably be asleep for most of them and i dont have a method to pay it ready, and couldnt ready one until tomorrow.

the problem with rpg maker is that instead of making each version have more features, they tend to remove features as much as they add them. its pretty bad, as neither 2003 nor vx ace support my needs well enough. XP i think might be somewhat more useful.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Eh... VX is kinda crap for most things. XP is certainly friendlier! If you're going with something newer, try that one.

...I still use 2000/2003, myself. I'm not a fan of the forced hi-res graphics, and the lack of a default full-screen mode.
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Icelink256 wrote:...I still use 2000/2003, myself. I'm not a fan of the forced hi-res graphics, and the lack of a default full-screen mode.
*the highest of the high fives*

Moists:

metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

I'm making progress!

I'm already halfway to where I was before!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote:I killed the boss I mentioned in my last post. Turns out the trick is to cast reflect on him. I didn't know reflect applies to healing spells until now.
I can't actually remember anything about the boss you're talking about except for that one fact. Then again I'm not even certain when I last played FFX. I think it might have been 2008. I can only remember being stuck on one of the bosses for like 7 months before finally beating her. I don't remember if the name's a spoiler but it was

Yunica

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote:I actually did a dual-playthrough of X3. The X Collection version, and the SNES original, mostly to see what differed between the two. As it turns out... not a whole lot. Animated opening and ending, and animated sequences showing off the boss when you start a stage. Also remixed music. Other than that, seems to be the same game.

Onwards to X4!
Yeah, the X Collection uses the 32-bit PSX/Saturn/PC port instead of the SNES version.

X4 is really fun, I think you're gonna like it a lot!

Fun fact: The PSX and Saturn versions of X3 (EDIT: didn't make that clear last time, srry!!!) were only released in Japan and Europe. Also the European PSX version seems to be way rarer than the Saturn version for some reason.
Last edited by KobaBeach 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Hopefully I'll get a nice reward "you passed your exams" budget from my grandparents soon. X4 for the Saturn is one of the games I'm looking to pick up. Also the Saturn versions of Castlevania SoTN and Metal Slug, and of course the many 2D shooters all over the place. Still need Saturn Bomberman too, and I'm also looking out for Marvel vs Street Fighter and Waku Waku 7. Can't really call any of the rpg's a priority, since there's still about 40 on SNES in my backlog.

Pretty far into Secret of Mana at this point. Just went to the mooncave and got the good ol' 'Lunar Magic' spell. Heh, I didn't know that was the thing that became a name for a thing!

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

agie777 wrote:Also the Saturn versions of Castlevania SoTN (...)
I heard that version was kinda lacking compared to the PSX version.

Mostly stuff like lag and Maria not being worth the effort to unlock (I heard that they changed her up for the PSP port, however I haven't played much of The Dracula X Chronicles).
agie777 wrote:Pretty far into Secret of Mana at this point. Just went to the mooncave and got the good ol' 'Lunar Magic' spell. Heh, I didn't know that was the thing that became a name for a thing!
Well, FuSoYa did take his username from FFIV, so who's to say he didn't play the other Square games on the SNES? (at least the one's that came out in the US)
Image Image
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

From what I've seen the differences are irrelevant nitpicks (arguments about load times/lag exist for both consoles(I honestly feel like it's ps1 owners trying to save themselves from the possibility that they may have missed out on something)), and the extra content is just pretty neat on a historical level (extra area is pretty major). I don't have a ps1 anyways, and I just love the Saturn to death so I need all the leading 32bit titles available for it anyway.

Of course it's likely FuSoYa had played SoM. I just always thought it was Lunar Magic because FuSoYa is a Lunarian or something, and it really surprised me to suddenly see the words in my magic menu.

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:X4 is really fun, I think you're gonna like it a lot!
I sampled it last night for about an hour; tried a few stages, got the leg upgrade and a few heart tanks. Seems pretty fun, looks amazing graphically; getting some distinct Megaman 8 vibes from it, which is a good thing.
KobaBeach wrote:I heard that version was kinda lacking compared to the PSX version.

Mostly stuff like lag and Maria not being worth the effort to unlock (I heard that they changed her up for the PSP port, however I haven't played much of The Dracula X Chronicles).
Unless I'm remembering wrong, I think I read that the Saturn version of SotN had Richter and Maria enabled by default, no unlocking required.

The Saturn SotN features two new areas, one of which makes use of an otherwise unfinished part of the PSX version, and features some new items, enemies, etc. Sounds neat, and it's kind of a shame the PSP port was based on the PSX version, and so didn't include these additions... but I've also read that extra features aside, the Saturn port wasn't that great. Plagued with slowdown and other issues. Also, it was never released outside of Japan, I... think. Kind of a shame, as I'd liked to have tried it someday, to compare and contrast.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing Mario Kart 8 has made me give Mario Kart DS one last chance. I want to beat it, but I don't want to be combo attacked by the AI, either. I beat the 100cc Mushroom Cup, and it's playing nice for now.
Last edited by Bean 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.