(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by YelseyKing »

And Sigma has been defeated once again. Peace has been returned to the world... briefly. Yeah, I finished Megaman X2. By no means as difficult as the first game, that's for sure, but I like some of the crazy stunts you have to pull off to get some of the powerups. Nothing even as remotely irritating as trying to get the X-Buster upgrade from Flame Mammoth's stage in the first game, though. Blargh.

Note: I didn't get the Shoryuken powerup. I'd probably never have used it, and there's only a handful of places, given how late you *can* get it, in which it'd even be remotely helpful anyhow.

So, onwards to X3.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

X3 has so much additional content that I never used even once (outside of the Golden Armor)
like srsly it's ridiculous
also the name of the game looks like an excited little kitty cat and that's adorable

Last time I was playing RS2 I picked a woman from the Holy Order, Monica, to be the empress.
I only picked her because she had 25 jutsu points (equivalent of MP).
To get the Magic Research Center, you need an emperor or empress with at least 25 JP.

I would have posted this back in the 29th but my internet went down for a few hours and I didn't feel like posting it until just now. :T
Last edited by KobaBeach 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

My favourite MMX is X4. Don't ask me why.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

X4's my all-time favorite Mega Man game. It's arcade action at its finest, and one of the only games that makes X and Zero feel like the super-powered robots they're supposed to be.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote:X4's my all-time favorite Mega Man game. It's arcade action at its finest, and one of the only games that makes X and Zero feel like the super-powered robots they're supposed to be.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say it's their favorite... but it also apparently has the series' toughest final boss, so... Hm.

You planning to do an LP of MMX4 at any point? If it's your favorite in the series, I'm honestly kinda surprised you haven't yet.

Moists:

Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Bean wrote:X4's my all-time favorite Mega Man game. It's arcade action at its finest, and one of the only games that makes X and Zero feel like the super-powered robots they're supposed to be.
Only problem were the voice actors. I only liked Sigma's.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Crimzon Clover, the most intense shooter I've played in a while. I swear this thing gives me a headache and eye-watering within 10 minutes. It's so good though, I can't leave it alone. Put about two hours into it, having a hard time figuring out stage 4.

Also Mario RPG (for the first time). Near the end of the game, just got past the six doors and apparently I suck at counting barrels.

Also also Okami (for the first time also). At the mooncave. Feels like some sort of a halfway point.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

agie777 wrote:Crimzon Clover, the most intense shooter I've played in a while. I swear this thing gives me a headache and eye-watering within 10 minutes. It's so good though, I can't leave it alone. Put about two hours into it, having a hard time figuring out stage 4.

Also Mario RPG (for the first time). Near the end of the game, just got past the six doors and apparently I suck at counting barrels.

Also also Okami (for the first time also). At the mooncave. Feels like some sort of a halfway point.
Just gunna warn you about Smithy, that guy's pretty tough wirhout proper healing things and Level 30. I recommend Mario, Geno and Peach for that fight. (Note though, you can't Geno-Whirl him.... but there is a boss who isn't imune against the 9999 Damage...)
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Mario, Geno and Peach has been my party for as long as they were available. I'm level 24, and my inventory has been overflowing for most of the game. Group hug has been enough for everything up to this point.

Sorel
In the shadows

What games are you playing?

Post by Sorel »

agie777 wrote:Mario, Geno and Peach has been my party for as long as they were available. I'm level 24, and my inventory has been overflowing for most of the game. Group hug has been enough for everything up to this point.
You shall see soon that it won't be easy. Even with lots of stuff.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Same here~

I also kinda liked X5 even though it's pretty subpar compared to the previous ones.

X6 is just a trainwreck in terms of level design, so I had a hard time enjoying that one.
oh god the nightmare ouroboros (the donut bosses)

Note to YK: Only play Blaze Heatnix's stage when you get Zero. You'll thank me for this.

I haven't played X7, X8 or the Xtreme games yet. I also haven't played Command Mission, but that one's an RPG.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Fluffi-dono wrote:You shall see soon that it won't be easy. Even with lots of stuff.
I did it, first try. It was really intense and I just barely made it because Geno died after I used my last pickmeup, but Smithy exploded shortly after.

Wow what a charming game. Similar to M&L and PM but still unlike any other rpg.

Next up is...Secret of Mana! I burned out on it previously, but I'm going to give it another shot.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's another one I have but haven't played yet, Secret of Mana. Maybe I will once I take down Mirror of Fate here. Up to 75% now, so I made a huge jump in progress this morning, but I feel it's because I just want it done now more than anything else. It's really one of the most boring games I've played in awhile.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've only ever beaten X1 but I've seen playthroughs of most (all? Can't remember) of the series. I liked the part where they killed off Zero but then they were like "oh we want another game though" so they made some stupid excuse like "he fixed himself" even though he was literally a torso when he died.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

Ashan wrote:I've only ever beaten X1 but I've seen playthroughs of most (all? Can't remember) of the series. I liked the part where they killed off Zero but then they were like "oh we want another game though" so they made some stupid excuse like "he fixed himself" even though he was literally a torso when he died.
What game are those parts in? I only know Zero has died in 1 and was revived in 2.

Anyway, I completed (I guess? I have the secret playable "character".) MM: Day in the Limelight 2. What a wonderful game! It would be near perfect if the hitboxes were finetuned a bit and Gemini Man would be more active. Otherwise, great job Fusion Team!
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The reason they brought Zero back in X2 was because he was Inafune's creation and wanted to see him back. It's also why I always felt the X series got the shaft because it was more about Zero later on than it was the title character. X4 was fine for a one-off, but Zero stole more and more of the spotlight as the series went on. In fact, it was supposed to end after X5 just so Inafune and Inti Creates could do a series for Zero. X was even supposed to be a bad guy in that one.

Then again, Capcom's B-teams released X6 and X7 on the world, so maybe it would have been better to end it after X5... not that I like that one much at all either. Ha-ha. Okay, I'm done being a Mega Man nerd now.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Yeah, MMX6 sounds like a thing, for sure. I've done some reading up on it, and it... sounds about as good as you'd expect from a game the original developer had nothing to do with and didn't want to make. That "rescue the reploids" system sounds like 100% artificial difficulty. Honestly, if I'm reading it correctly, it reminds me of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, where if you approach a victim too quickly or from the wrong direction (which you have no way of knowing ahead of time), they'll get killed and there's nothing much you can do about it... except the stakes seem higher in MMX6, since these victims also reward you with powerups, which can be missed... oy.

As an aside, I am thoroughly stumped at trying to understand Megaman X5. I've not quite reached it yet (still on X3), but what I've read... makes no sense to be. In particular, "boss levels", the upgrade/parts system, and the whole concept of the falling space colony and its effect on the game as a whole. I've read several FAQs about them, and just can't quite figure out what these things are all about... I imagine I'll figure it out once I actually start the game, but it sounds pretty daunting at the moment.

Edit: I'll only be playing up through X6, since I don't have X7 or X8, and I hear they're both thoroughly mediocre, anyhow, so I won't be rushing to buy them anytime soon, either.
Last edited by YelseyKing 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Moists:

Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

MM ZX will always be my favourite MM game.
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

X5 is basically a game in which your choices don't actually matter.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. I mean, they have an effect. Fighting the bosses first will increase your probability of getting the good ending. But they won't make it assured. You can do everything absolutely right and still get the bad ending. Or you can just ignore the bosses and shoot the colony right away and still get the good ending. It just depends on how the random number generator is feeling.

The X series is... interesting. The classic series had really consistently good quality. Even the "bad" games in classic were actually only "okay". But in the X series? Bad means bad. Here's how it goes for me (warning; long):
X1: Amazing game, an absolute classic. This stands up to the classic series at its best. Great

X2: I liked this one a lot. I think it's not as well-regarded as the first by most people, but I see it as a worthy successor. Good

X3: I... didn't like this one, and it's hard for me to put my finger on why. Something about the bosses rubbed me the wrong way, and the scavenger hunting bogged it down. Poor

X4: One of my favorites in the series, and again I feel it's a game that stands up with the classic series. Great

X5: This could have been a good game... if not for all the stupid decisions piled on top of it. Alia stopping you every time you try to make a simple jump? Bosses whose health meters get bigger the farther you go in the game (which just makes them more tedious, not harder)? An ending that's dependent on chance no matter what you do? I liked it a bunch as a kid, but going back and replaying it made me realize it's severely flawed, in a way that hinders enjoyment. Bad

X6: Ugh, this game... It's bad, but it's still playable. It's not worth playing on hard mode, but I think maybe you could get some enjoyment out of it on lower difficulties. Horrible level design though. Also, a hilariously bad translation, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. (One of my favorite lines: "It is the world where the humans race and the Reploids co-exist." See, humans are too busy racing all the time to co-exist.) Bad

X7: This game is irredeemable trash. I seriously think it deserves to be regarded on the same level as Sonic 2K6. Everything about it is bad and I hate it. Awful

X8: A really good game. It has some notable design flaws, including a few too many "gimmick" stages and some rather cheap deaths, but it's still fun to play, and after three games in a row that were bad, it was a breath of fresh air. Good

Both of the Xtreme games were bad, but Xtreme 2 was a notable improvement. The first one, I could write an entire article on everything that's wrong with that game...
I prefer the classic series because of its tone, but the inconsistent quality of the X series also knocks it down a few points. Though when it's good, it's really good.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I've only played X1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 are both amazing to me in different ways, couldn't pick one over the other. 3 is really dull to me, just can't get into it. I plan on checking out 4 as soon as I buy it, and just call it the end of the X series for me.

Still didn't even beat X2 though...I got close but it's been laying around.

Gosh darn that stage 4 boss in Crimzon Clover is insane. Everything happens too fast!

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Anyone have any thoughts on the Zero series? I got Zero Collection a while back, but the first game feels... odd. I only played it briefly, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it has this deep powerup system that you're... actively punished for *using*? What? Why? Also, I got as far as one boss, but died, and... got a "Mission Failed" screen, which seemed to progress the game, locking me out of that mission again? Admittedly, it's been a while since I played, so my memory may be hazy, but...

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, that is how it works in the early games. You can't use the Elves or you're punished. By the end, the lesson had been learned and you can use them with minimal or no punishment if done right. I think 4's system was the best for it. 3's the best game, though, for reasons outside of that.

Along with Mirror of Fate, I'm now going through Find Mii II on StreetPass Mii Plaza. This version unlocks when you beat the original Find Mii twice and has branching paths, new items to get, and you can hire old Miis back with the Play Coins that you rarely use elsewhere. Kind of neat.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

MMZ games are legends to me. All those hours spent... all those memories... *sniff* nostalgic.
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

I'm trying Copy Kitty. On an old computer which runs it at 15-25 FPS maximum during normal gameplay. And it still manages to be relatively fun.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Random MMX3 question, because I can't recall right now... do Bit, Byte, and Vile ever disappear from the stages once you've cleared enough Maverick stages like the X-Hunters do in X2? I've cleared two stages so far (Tunnel Rhino and Volt Catfish), and I want to *destroy*, not just *defeat*, the three of them, so I need to know if I'll have to go right after Blizzard Buffalo and Neon Tiger to get the weapons needed, or if I can wait a little while on those.

Moists: