(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
devil†zukin

Re: ./twitter-thread

Post by devil†zukin »

i dont even dark souls and this is awesome
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Rénà wrote:

i dont even dark souls and this is awesome
I totally took a selfie with a solair cosplayer
That crazy voice dude
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Grrrr. Pretty sure I didn't have my adsense account all the way set up even though it SEEMED like I did, so I missed out on getting a bit of cash. Not that MUCH granted, but still.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Tyrant Bwarch wrote:Grrrr. Pretty sure I didn't have my adsense account all the way set up even though it SEEMED like I did, so I missed out on getting a bit of cash. Not that MUCH granted, but still.
Aw man, now I feel a tiny bit bad for using Adblock.
...And, the feeling's passed.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Youtube stuff quit showing up on adsense a while ago, if that's what you are talking about.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Ivy wrote: Aw man, now I feel a tiny bit bad for using Adblock.
...And, the feeling's passed.
If they'd just stuck with popup text ads I don't think adblock would be as... "required" as most of us consider it. But noooo, they just had to ruin it with video ads before, during and after.

For the record, here's what the monetization screen looks like for peeps who don't know

In-video ads are the text ads that pop up that you can easily x.

Trueview in-stream ads are the video ads everybody and their mother hates. Myself too, for that matter. And for trueview you have the option of doing preroll, midroll and postroll.

So if you watch a Youtuber that's doing all three, they have to set that up MANUALLY for all videos they upload so they damn well know what they're doing haha.
pholtos wrote:Youtube stuff quit showing up on adsense a while ago, if that's what you are talking about.
... I have no idea what you're talking about? Payment is still rendered through adsense as far as I know for Youtube shenanigans.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

What I mean is this: "The reports in your AdSense account will not show you estimates of YouTube earnings activity."

Of course if this ISN'T what you are talking about, you'll have to excuse me.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I don't mind waiting for 5 seconds before skipping ads. I disable adblock on Youtube so that peeps can get their money but I leave it on for other sites and for Twitch because fuck Twitch's ad system.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I've tried doing that, but YouTube's ads make me explode inside. So to compensate a little I always leave a like (i.e. I have an auto-like extension for any video I watch for anybody on a list of channels I chose). I would honestly like to directly help out - but pre roll ads just kill me.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

HAHAHA! Suck it Rangers fan! Playing dirty didn't save you today! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The thing is that you only get money from in-video overlay ads if someone actually clicks the ad. In contrast, you get money from TrueView in-stream ads if someone watches the whole thing and I think (although I'm no sure) you might still get a tiny bit if someone skips it. Combined with the fact that you need to make $100 before YouTube will let you have a single cent of it, you're dreaming if you think you can make money just off overlay ads.

Personally I have no problem with pre-roll ads. They're not that long since unskippable ones are never longer than 15-20 seconds, and sometimes I'll watch the whole thing anyway if it's interesting (like the one time a raocow video had the French trailer for the new Wolfenstein game). As for post-roll ads, I take the view that watching them is like tipping: if you really like the video you can do the uploader the credit of sticking around for the post-roll ad. Mid-stream ads are definitely annoying, but I think they're justified in some circumstances. For example diabetus' gigantic multi-hour videos will have a single mid-roll ad and I think for a video that long it's totally justified. It's really not a big impost when you think about it. If I'm watching commercial TV here I'll see at least 15 ads every half an hour. Compared to that ads on YouTube are nothing.
Pengu

Post by Pengu »

Finally, Pengu can soon start what Pengu has planned to be a thing for the talkhaus at the turn of this month
ImageImage
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Doctor Shemp wrote:The thing is that you only get money from in-video overlay ads if someone actually clicks the ad. In contrast, you get money from TrueView in-stream ads if someone watches the whole thing and I think (although I'm no sure) you might still get a tiny bit if someone skips it. Combined with the fact that you need to make $100 before YouTube will let you have a single cent of it, you're dreaming if you think you can make money just off overlay ads.

Personally I have no problem with pre-roll ads. They're not that long since unskippable ones are never longer than 15-20 seconds, and sometimes I'll watch the whole thing anyway if it's interesting (like the one time a raocow video had the French trailer for the new Wolfenstein game). As for post-roll ads, I take the view that watching them is like tipping: if you really like the video you can do the uploader the credit of sticking around for the post-roll ad. Mid-stream ads are definitely annoying, but I think they're justified in some circumstances. For example diabetus' gigantic multi-hour videos will have a single mid-roll ad and I think for a video that long it's totally justified. It's really not a big impost when you think about it. If I'm watching commercial TV here I'll see at least 15 ads every half an hour. Compared to that ads on YouTube are nothing.
People like you are literally the reason why the internet has degenerated into nothing but a corporate jungle over the last few years.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Speaking of YT, Nintendo is going to have an affiliate program there instead of just claiming (but not deleting) content as their own. Pretty sure it's to make that bank on Mario Kart 8 footage.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Aposke wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:The thing is that you only get money from in-video overlay ads if someone actually clicks the ad. In contrast, you get money from TrueView in-stream ads if someone watches the whole thing and I think (although I'm no sure) you might still get a tiny bit if someone skips it. Combined with the fact that you need to make $100 before YouTube will let you have a single cent of it, you're dreaming if you think you can make money just off overlay ads.

People like you are literally the reason why the internet has degenerated into nothing but a corporate jungle over the last few years.
That's inevitable. No facet of human existence is immune from the spread of capitalism. Education, health, defence of the nation, everything that has traditionally been the domain of the state is now open for profit. To imagine that the internet would somehow be immune from this is delusional. There are few aspects of your life that cannot be bought and sold by others, and all of them can be lobbied with limited consent from you in one way or the other. That's the 21st century. And since capitalism naturally tends towards monopoly, of course the internet, being now a full component of a capitalist world, will be oligopolistic. And taking 5-30 seconds out of my life to give someone whose work I enjoy a couple of cents - because that's literally all they get - is not very morally objectionable at all in the grand scheme of this process.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

I hate ads. I use adblocks on every websites. When there's ads on the radio I change channel or mute it until it's over.

Also I never noticed these smileys existed. Were they added recently? nyoro~n n~yoron
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

With Rena aboard you'll never know what wacky things may show up in the emoticons section.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Aposke wrote:

That's inevitable. No facet of human existence is immune from the spread of capitalism. Education, health, defence of the nation, everything that has traditionally been the domain of the state is now open for profit. To imagine that the internet would somehow be immune from this is delusional. There are few aspects of your life that cannot be bought and sold by others, and all of them can be lobbied with limited consent from you in one way or the other. That's the 21st century. And since capitalism naturally tends towards monopoly, of course the internet, being now a full component of a capitalist world, will be oligopolistic. And taking 5-30 seconds out of my life to give someone whose work I enjoy a couple of cents - because that's literally all they get - is not very morally objectionable at all in the grand scheme of this process.
Cause, yeah, let's just give up and take things up the ass because, obviously, there's no way to change anything about it.
By the same logic, we might as well abandon capitalism right here and now, since it's doomed to fail in a world of finite resources anyways.
kingmetaknight1

Post by kingmetaknight1 »

I should probably acknowledge that there is nothing that can happen that will cause whole-wheat bread to rise properly in my bread machine, and then use bread flour.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

new avgn on desert bus omg

+ the end made me tingly
watch the video
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Your name is leaking, Rena