(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
devil†zukin

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by devil†zukin »

drawing spells can get a little grindy and i hate the grindy parts in those games and try to avoid them but i love the junctioning system in that game

actually ff8 is good for that i think u can probably beat the game without even fighting random battles

the card game in that one i actually played unlike the one in ff9 i never bothered with it was just kinda annoying
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rénà wrote:i think u can probably beat the game without even fighting random battles
Like the SaGa games (post-Romancing), FF8 uses level scaling

As Squall levels up higher and higher, the enemies level up alongside him
You can pretty much leave him at Lv. 7 and level up everyone else and the game will be a cakewalk

You can even increase stats simply by refining items and cards into magic that you can later junction, you don't even need to level up anyone in the first place

It's really easy to break the game
Rénà wrote:the card game in that one i actually played unlike the one in ff9 i never bothered with it was just kinda annoying
Everyone hates Tetra Master

Don't worry, you're not alone
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

I loved Tetra Master...
Pyon!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:I was bored and so I replayed FFVIII, up until a bit after where I was last time, all while trying to make sure that I got Siren when fighting Elvoret

Only took me 3 and a half hours, no biggie (I'm not the most rational person)
Heh, I was gonna actually recommend you just restarting, since GFs are super useful especially early on, but I wasn't sure how you'd take it, so I didn't. Glad you got Siren, though; she's got some useful abilities, and an extra magic junction is always helpful.
KobaBeach wrote:I'm about to go to Timber
Triple Triad is kinda neat, but I'm p. bad at it
It takes some practice. I recommend playing defensively. Once you've obtained a few cards with strong corners (that is, numbers 7 or higher on both of any of the card's four corners; you should have the Ifrit card, which is one of these), it becomes very unlikely you'll lose against normal players (whose cards' values will never exceed 7). Play those cards in ways in which the opponent can't take it no matter what it plays; obviously, the more of these strong defensive cards you have, the better. You may want to consult an FAQ to find out which people have one-of-a-kind cards (which are almost always extremely powerful), since it's pretty arbitrary (for instance, the Quistis groupies in the Garden cafeteria use the Quistis card, and the boy in blue running around the Garden's halls uses Minimog). You can also learn Quezacotl's "Card" ability and try to turn enemies into cards. While most enemies will be turned into their own card, there's a small (about 1/8) chance you'll instead turn them into a "Boss" card. These are weaker than GF and Character cards, but are still plenty stronger than the ones you'll find on most players. Outside Balamb Garden, Bite Bugs can sometimes be carded into Elvoret cards, and Glacial Eyes can sometimes be Carded into Jumbo Cactuar cards, both excellent "Corner" cards.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice. Later on, you'll find that other regions have different rules... once you offer to play a game with them, if your last opponent was from outside that region, they'll ask you to combine rulesets (for instance, the first time you play with someone in Timber, they'll ask to use their rules and Balamb's). Once the Triple Triad screen opens, you can play a game, or cancel out of the menu, and the same thing will happen: there's a chance of either a rule from the region you were just in being "spread", meaning everyone will now use it, or a chance of one of the new region's rules being abolished (no one will use it again). You can save before playing and reload if a rule you didn't want to spread does, or you *really* want a rule abolished. Balamb is one of the only regions that, by default, has the Open rule in effect. You'll absolutely want to spread that to every region in the game, as without it, the computer flagrantly cheats. Their last card will always magically be *just* the one it needs to beat you, especially under the Same and Plus rules. Also, many regions have the horrid, horrid "Random" rule in effect, which forces your cards to be selected at random. Obviously, this has absolutely no effect on the AI, whose cards are random *anyhow*, but it seriously screws *you* over, since there's little reason to use anything other than boss, GF, or Character cards, and it almost always gives you really crappy cards. Abolish this at all costs. It takes a while, but you'll be glad you did. Especially get rid of it in Dollet, as there's a card-based subquest that originates there which requires you *lose* certain cards to someone. Obviously Random makes that much, much harder.

Phew. Sorry about the wall of text. I just love Triple Triad. :lol:
KobaBeach wrote:Drawing spells is kinda tedious but I don't mind (I try to draw at least 20+ of one spell, except for Cure, of which I have like 65+ on Squall, Zell and Selphie each and a few like Protect and Esuna that I have really few of because eh)
Drawing magic will become considerably easier once you get a higher magic stat. Once everyone has a magic junction and a decent set of spells junctioned to it, you'll find that it's rare that you won't draw 9 at a time. Though tedious, it's worth getting 100 of many spells, not to use, so much as to junction, as the more spells you junction to a stat, the better the effect. Yeah, it's kinda weird that you stock all these spells and end up not using most of them to keep your stats high, but... yeah.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Getting real close to the end of Bravely Default now. I just finished the bonus dungeon, including the hidden boss at the end. Took a long time to whittle him down to 0 HP...
Imagine my frustration when the fox used "Call Adventurer" next turn, forcing me to start over from scratch. That's a trick I won't fall for again.
Now, onward to the final boss!
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Tried out Fistful of Frags the other night. As expected, it's really fun!... When it works right. It's probably just my computer and internet connection but I had a hard time getting a lag free session, even when I explicitly went to servers for low latency.

Obviously Total Biscuit didn't experience any of that so yeah, it's probably on my end.

But it's really fun, and having to really consider your shots is a blast. It's going to be even better once they get more game modes on there~
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Just before the 2nd Laguna flashback!

Laguna is the dumbest dumb that ever dumbed and I love him for that
I shall aspire to be more like him in real life

Fun fact: The guy who voiced him in the Japanese version of Dissidia Duodecim also voiced Balthier, Sanji from One Piece, Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny and that one digimon that I absolutely refuse to stop talking about (and also the Digimon Adventure narrator)

Also the sword from sanic and the black whatever (no really)

P.S. I don't know why but the fake President turning into a deformed mutant zombie thing made me laugh. It's just so absurd.

P.P.S. Don't worry I didn't miss Pet Pals vol. 1-4. I got this all under control (not really)
Ishntknew wrote:Getting real close to the end of Bravely Default now. I just finished the bonus dungeon, including the hidden boss at the end. Took a long time to whittle him down to 0 HP...
Imagine my frustration when the fox used "Call Adventurer" next turn, forcing me to start over from scratch. That's a trick I won't fall for again.
Now, onward to the final boss!
Good luck!!!!
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I got through level four of five in Road Rash last night. Just glad that the game counts 4th place as a podium spot, though, or I'd still be trying to get past it.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Phoba wrote:So Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch V4 update got released today, and my god, probably the best update it got. The only thing that frustrates me is the new maps having team mode, which teammates just gets killed by swarms of the other team. But after that, it's just amazing.
(Funny how people were talking about Doom and Megaman)
Maybe I shall consider downloading it once again.

Currently playing BattleBlock Theater together with a pal. It's fun.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

And so, having just finished Megaman V, the "Week of the Megaman Game Boy series" comes to a close. I'd say V was the best of the bunch, with a lot of neat weapons and powerups, an actual original cast, great music, and a spectacular final stage. The Rush "shmup" segment was unexpected and pretty fun, though that laser segment (albeit short) was mostly trial and error. Once inside, the return of the revenge of the revenge of the return of the four penultimate bosses from MM1-4 was a nice touch, even if they all seemed quite a bit easier. I wasn't a huge fan of the long shafts that came after those fights, though. Half of them had a hidden room if you hung to the right, while the others just dropped you into spikes. I think I lost a life after each of those blasted things.

Also: Tango! Hooray, Tango! Why wasn't he in more games?!?! Sure, he's just a less effective variation of Beat, gameplay-wise. But come on, look at this guy! Tell me he's not just the cutest widdle green robot kitty cat everrrrrr~~~~ :3 :3 :3
...sorry, got a bit carried away there. Cats have that effect on me.

Anyhow, I'll probably finish up the two "fighters" on MMAC next (they shouldn't take very long each), then... hm. I'd take on Wily Wars, since I've never played that, but I don't appear to have a Genesis emulator, and... I have no idea which ones are any good. Also, I've heard that there are some issues with unlocking Wily Tower due to the game utilizing an odd, non-standard save system. Any ideas/suggestions?

Moists:

Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Aaaa I finished Bravely Default today. That ending was amazing. One of the most clever things I've ever seen in a video game, and one of the absolute best ways of engaging a player in the plot.
By which I mean integrating the player into the plot. Ouroboros tearing open a rift to the Celestial Realm, and then seeing my own face beyond it? Now that was impressive. Especially since I could see just how determined I was to kill this guy from the expression on my face. That was even better than the way EarthBound did it.
Looking forward to Bravely Second!
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't know if I'm going to be able to beat Road Rash since that game is handing it to me on the fifth and final level of races. I went back to Kirby: Triple Deluxe and am going through a few post-game things right now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote:I'd take on Wily Wars, since I've never played that, but I don't appear to have a Genesis emulator, and... I have no idea which ones are any good.
Kega Fusion emulates pretty much all Master System, Mega Drive, Game Gear, Sega CD, 32X, SG-1000 and Pico games perfectly.
Image Image
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

YelseyKing:

I found a thing!
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:I'd take on Wily Wars, since I've never played that, but I don't appear to have a Genesis emulator, and... I have no idea which ones are any good.
Kega Fusion emulates pretty much all Master System, Mega Drive, Game Gear, Sega CD, 32X, SG-1000 and Pico games perfectly.
I'll check it out. I think I had that one before my HD crashed a few years ago, but never actually re-acquired it for whatever reason. I do recall it being pretty good.
Ishntknew wrote:YelseyKing:

I found a thing!
Ah! I thought I remembered someone making a patch that fixes that. Thanks for linking me.

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I tried playing final fantasy tactics... but I kept screwing up, and it doesn't help that in that game the guys you have completely die if they die in battle... so I switched over to the sims because why not.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

But they only die permanently if you wait too long.
Pyon!
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

So I finally beat Croc: Legend of the Gobbos today and ugh, that game is something. There were so many times I had to get away from it just from how frustrating it can be sometimes.

One thing I'd say about this game is that it barely tells you anything besides the story. Although this is fine in some aspects while others it's sort of guess and check. Take the controls for instance. The main control scheme was in the options menu, but I still had so much trouble deciphering how the controls worked until I realized they were wonked up tank controls, which is really strange to put in a platforming game. Even then though, the controls are either really slippery or really stiff. When moving straight and you try to turn, Croc sort of goes all over the place and it's difficult to control (then again it was probably my controller). Standing still was, while stiff, usually the method I used for getting through levels which was basically rotating myself where I wanted to go. It wasn't until the last main world where I finally got a good handling this. The same goes for gimmicks (especially in the last main world), where it'll just shove a new concept into the mix with no explanation.

The difficulty is pretty sporadic throughout the entire game. There'll be levels that can be done pretty simply in one go, and then the next one having strenuous sections that take various repeats to complete. When I say repeats I mean you have to start a level over once you run out of lives, you also start out with 3 lives after a game over, so unless you have a way of gaining lives then you only get three instances of death. These levels are just annoying in having to do the same sections over and over just to get to that hard point that takes a lot of struggling. Luckily I found a really good life farm in one of the later worlds so this became not much of a problem. But there was one level that pretty much took all my lives, and the next being incredibly easy. Also the 'orb pot' and 'whack the mole' mini-games were horrible; only peeps who've played the game will understand.

All in all, a sort of decent 3D collect-a-thon with some charm (the 3rd world is definitely my favorite in terms of atmosphere and fun) but a lot of setbacks that sort of ruin it. Even with the frustration I had some fun playing, but I wouldn't want to play it again.

also the camera is terrible but that's old news with any 3D platformer
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I just finished Dual Destnies... HOLY SHIT, IT WAS SO AMAZING!
THAT BELOW IS A REAAAAL SPOILER, SO BEWARE!
The moment I realized that the killer could only know of the emergency ladder if they gave the instructions... that was soooooo "WTF HE'S THE PHANTOM?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
And then... I realized that Bobby has a scar on his right hand, right where Athena hit the Phantom 7 years ago...
I was so sad, Bobby was my favourite character... He even got shot by a sniper! And in the japanese version, he dies because of that!
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

Fluffi-dono wrote:I just finished Dual Destnies... HOLY SHIT, IT WAS SO AMAZING!
THAT BELOW IS A REAAAAL SPOILER, SO BEWARE!
The moment I realized that the killer could only know of the emergency ladder if they gave the instructions... that was soooooo "WTF HE'S THE PHANTOM?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
And then... I realized that Bobby has a scar on his right hand, right where Athena hit the Phantom 7 years ago...
I was so sad, Bobby was my favourite character... He even got shot by a sniper! And in the japanese version, he dies because of that!
Technically, the real Bobby was killed before the events of Dual Destinies and at some point his identity was assumed by the Phantom. At no point in the game do you ever meet the real Bobby Fulbright... which is really depressing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I played the new Wolfenstein after about 8 hours of downloading it. It's actually not too bad. Has some odd issues though. Random performance issues such as it only using 40% of my available gpu power but still lagging badly then eventually crashing, performance differing on the same settings simply by lowering them then changing them back. The volume levels are also way out of balance. There's only a master volume slider and nothing else. Then the intro videos are super loud compared to the game and the cutscenes in the game are very very quiet compared to the game. Then on top of that the mouse feels a bit weird. Might be mouse acceleration being on by default or something but it's not in the settings menu. I have to have the sensitivity at max to play the game but sometimes at that setting it's far too sensitive too. (Especially on menus where it's a pain in the ass to click anything.)

Past those issues though the story is interesting and the gameplay isn't too bad. On the easiest difficulty I can play it without it having to be a cover based shooter which I absolutely despise. Though that difficulty may in fact be a bit too easy because I haven't had to worry about my health much yet.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

decided to start SoTN and heck yeah this game is hella sweet
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I started the sims for gamecube, and the first thing I end up doing is getting a game over in the tutorial area of the story mode.

So I'm suppose to go into a hot tub, so instead I decide to sleep, and the person who was also in the tutorial gave me a game over. I found it hilarious.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Just finished the two "Fighters" in Megaman Anniversary Collection. Not great, but fun little time-waster boss rushes. Not a lot to say about them, really, though I liked the Zero cameo in Bass' ending in 2. That fully completes Anniversary Collection now.

On to the Wily Wars, since I got that Genesis emulator set up. The "May of Megaman" continues!

Moists:

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I started FFX for Vita yesterday hopefully I finish it at some point.