(shouting)

Games you would like to see hacks of

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Re: Games you would like to see hacks of

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Some Castlevania IV stuff would be neat.
One thing I'd think people would hack, yet I've never seen much of it, is DKC. :/
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:Some Castlevania IV stuff would be neat.
One thing I'd think people would hack, yet I've never seen much of it, is DKC. :/
http://www.youtube.com/prgmdest
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Maybe not the most popular idea, but I really wanted to make my own levels for Yoshi's Story when I was young

Also, yes to Wario Land 4
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Changing things up here a bit, I'd like to see some Final Fantasy 6 hacks. Some *quality* ones. Not just lazy ones that buff the enemies' stats to ungodly levels in the misguided name of "challenge", nor am I talking about lazy sprite swaps that replace all the characters with random My Little Pony characters (...seriously, why?). I'm talking some significant changes; possibly even a whole new game built on that engine. Alas, I've heard that FF6's code is an absolute mess, so that's... probably not going to happen. Sigh.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

YelseyKing wrote:Changing things up here a bit, I'd like to see some Final Fantasy 6 hacks. Some *quality* ones. Not just lazy ones that buff the enemies' stats to ungodly levels in the misguided name of "challenge", nor am I talking about lazy sprite swaps that replace all the characters with random My Little Pony characters (...seriously, why?). I'm talking some significant changes; possibly even a whole new game built on that engine. Alas, I've heard that FF6's code is an absolute mess, so that's... probably not going to happen. Sigh.
Dunno if you'll find something good here but give it a look.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

YelseyKing wrote:nor am I talking about lazy sprite swaps that replace all the characters with random My Little Pony characters (...seriously, why?).
My main theory (Besides the simple and elegant Occam's Razor of "Why not?) is that people just like having reasons to revisit a game beyond the revisitation itself.

Simply rewriting the dialogue (I assume they did this) to include the characters (and the humorful shenanigans to follow from characters acting in a way they normally wouldn't) and seeing their favorite characters in a game they like is enough reasons to say that they want to revisit a game they found joy in.

Same goes for mods and whatnot, really. Just prolonging the lifespan of games we love.

Just the other day for example I saw a nifty little mod for Half Life 2 that brings the graphics a little bit more up to par for today's standards.

http://cinematicmod.com/images/cm_12/co ... _12_08.jpg
http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/upl ... _11_13.jpg
http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/upl ... _11_14.jpg

It made me really eager to revisit the game I love (until I saw that apparently the download is 20 gigs on top of the game itself, yikes.) So I'd imagine people would have similar urges, but more on the humor side when it comes to MLP palette swaps.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Bwarch wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:nor am I talking about lazy sprite swaps that replace all the characters with random My Little Pony characters (...seriously, why?).
My main theory (Besides the simple and elegant Occam's Razor of "Why not?) is that people just like having reasons to revisit a game beyond the revisitation itself.
Hah. That was just rhetorical question. I'm a bit surprised it got a serious answer, though you raise some interesting points. A long time ago, me and a friend went over some RM2K game and replaced all the characters with our own as a joke. As time-wasters went, it wasn't a bad one. :P

As an aside, I'm not actually an MLP-hater or anything. Never watched the show, as it's not my thaaaaang, but to each his own; far be it for me to really criticize anyone's interests. I only mentioned that hack because it's like, the only significant FF6 hack I'm aware of. I'd have had that same "why?" thought about *any* kind of "resprite based on another property" sort of hack. :P
Yeah, I've seen most of those. Mostly little tweaks to make the game easier/harder, as well as bug fixes. But there do seem to be a few interesting things there I somehow hadn't noticed before. I'll have to check them out sometime.

Moists:

Lunikyuu

Post by Lunikyuu »

I know someone who used to run a FF6 hacking website which looks decently sized. No idea if you'll find what you're looking for there either, but options are good I suppose.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

YelseyKing wrote:
Bwarch wrote:
As an aside, I'm not actually an MLP-hater or anything. Never watched the show, as it's not my thaaaaang, but to each his own; far be it for me to really criticize anyone's interests. I only mentioned that hack because it's like, the only significant FF6 hack I'm aware of. I'd have had that same "why?" thought about *any* kind of "resprite based on another property" sort of hack. :P
Just for the record: the ponified FF6 hack re-balances(?) a lot of things, swaps character-specific abilities around, only allows unicorn characters to learn Magic... I believe all (or most of) the bosses have different attack patterns and are generally made more challenging... It was a while back, but I watched a playthrough of the whole thing, and I thought it seemed better than vanilla FF6 overall. BUT that's just my own opinion.

Also Umaro is replaced by someone that can use Shock!!! So that's something.
Also, making a graphic/text/difficulty-based hack of something like FF6 seems a lot more 'practical' than building a whole new world/plot from the ground up.

...I'm not sure if there are any specific games I'd like to see hacks of, but I'd certainly like to see sequels to things, in theory (Mischief Makers being a prime candidate).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

Personally, I think that Earthbound could use some MORE hacks, I mean you already have all the tools you need for it on Starmen.net's PK Hack, but still there aren't many people who make hacks for it. :?
Fidget
accidentally from a different dimension
Pronouns: she/herself

Post by Fidget »

Isn't Earthbound supposed to have a ridiculously messy and convoluted dialogue-mixed-with-flag system? I don't know anything about the available tools.

As a topic contribution: vague idea of MyLilPon-Animal Crossing. They're both cheerful towns of colorful denizens whose lives tend to center around one individual.
... Probably.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

swirlybomb wrote:Also, making a graphic/text/difficulty-based hack of something like FF6 seems a lot more 'practical' than building a whole new world/plot from the ground up.
Oh, I understand that. I know RPG hacks in general aren't really all that practical for various reasons. I'm just saying it'd be neat to see, is all.

Also, I wasn't aware of the actual changes to the MLP FF6 hack. A friend of mine watched the first few parts of an LP of it and didn't mention any changes except the text and the sprites, so I was under the assumption that it was a very basic hack. As someone who's not a fan of the show (and is decidedly on the fence about it, in all honesty), it's probably still not something I'll personally play, but I concede with what you've told me that I was wrong, and it's a lot more substantial than I initially thought.
Also, since this is the first time I've directly responded to you, I want to add... swirlybomb. That is one of my favorite usernames on Talkhaus. :D

Moists:

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Oh really? As somebody who had only heard of the hack by name I wasn't aware there were any changes beyond sprite/text myself.

Edit: Missed swirly's spoiler, up to date now. Neat!
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

Mega Man 1-6 fair edition. No slippery physics in 1 and 2 (not talking about ice physics), Big Eyes that can be avoided without luck, no superspeed falling from Magnet Beam, no clumsy hitboxes, no spike falls that require trial and error ala Guts Man stage and MM5 Wily stage 1, no enemy placement this way either, no sections with only one try like the Rush Jet section in Doc Robot Needle Man stage, no chances to get stuck and forced to game over/reset, etc...
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Euparkeria wrote:Mega Man 1-6 fair edition. No slippery physics in 1 and 2 (not talking about ice physics), Big Eyes that can be avoided without luck, no superspeed falling from Magnet Beam, no clumsy hitboxes, no spike falls that require trial and error ala Guts Man stage and MM5 Wily stage 1, no enemy placement this way either, no sections with only one try like the Rush Jet section in Doc Robot Needle Man stage, no chances to get stuck and forced to game over/reset, etc...
One thing I'd change if I could about many of the Megaman games would be the fact that the preset large life and weapon energy capsules you find here and there throughout stages usually don't respawn when you lose a life. I can understand the 1-ups, E-Tanks, and other special items not doing so, but why health/weapon refills? In some games, the lack of the latter can render a stage nearly unwinnable, especially when the vehicle/platform items are required. For instance, that MM3 Rush Jet thing you mentioned. Also, if you die too many times to the mecha dragon on Wily stage 1 of MM2, you won't have enough weapon energy to use Item 1. Have fun wasting large amounts of time farming enemies for refills.

Moists:

Lunikyuu

Post by Lunikyuu »

the RPG talk reminded me that I forgot to mention Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario in my earlier post
Davybot

Post by Davybot »

I want to see more Earthbound hacks. I also agree with Paper Mario and Wario Land hacks.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

YelseyKing wrote:One thing I'd change if I could about many of the Megaman games would be the fact that the preset large life and weapon energy capsules you find here and there throughout stages usually don't respawn when you lose a life. I can understand the 1-ups, E-Tanks, and other special items not doing so, but why health/weapon refills? In some games, the lack of the latter can render a stage nearly unwinnable, especially when the vehicle/platform items are required. For instance, that MM3 Rush Jet thing you mentioned. Also, if you die too many times to the mecha dragon on Wily stage 1 of MM2, you won't have enough weapon energy to use Item 1. Have fun wasting large amounts of time farming enemies for refills.
I wonder why all the items respawn in MM1 but nothing does in later games unless a game over happens. Why not the weapon and life energy? Would the games really lose their difficulty if they would respawn after every lost life? I don't think so. The sometimes painstaking energy grinding requires luck and patience, but doesn't add any difficulty, except in some cases where it's hard to not lose energy while farming. And in those cases there shouldn't be any luck or patience required, but... sigh.

The X series did this better: after every lost life all 1-ups, weapon energy and life energy respawn.

Actually, in MM1, everything except 1-ups respawns when off-screen. I'm not really sure about 1-ups, though, because they're usually placed in one-way sections in that game. The one in Bomb Man's stage, though, doesn't seem to reappear when off-screen.
Edit: It does reappear, but you can't get to it, not even with Magnet Beam, so it's another one-way 1-up.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Euparkeria wrote:Mega Man 1-6 fair edition. No slippery physics in 1 and 2 (not talking about ice physics), Big Eyes that can be avoided without luck, no superspeed falling from Magnet Beam, no clumsy hitboxes, no spike falls that require trial and error ala Guts Man stage and MM5 Wily stage 1, no enemy placement this way either, no sections with only one try like the Rush Jet section in Doc Robot Needle Man stage, no chances to get stuck and forced to game over/reset, etc...
I would like to see that too.
MM 1-6 had quite a lot bugs and unfair level design.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

YelseyKing wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:Also, making a graphic/text/difficulty-based hack of something like FF6 seems a lot more 'practical' than building a whole new world/plot from the ground up.
Oh, I understand that. I know RPG hacks in general aren't really all that practical for various reasons. I'm just saying it'd be neat to see, is all.
Yeah, totally fair (after all, this is kind of a 'hypothetical dream' sort of thread), just trying to respond to the "lazy sprite swaps" comment thinger.
YelseyKing wrote:Also, since this is the first time I've directly responded to you, I want to add... swirlybomb. That is one of my favorite usernames on Talkhaus. :D
D'aww, thanks c:

I concur regarding Earthbound and Mario RPG; hacks of those would be really rad (though as mentioned, I believe Earthbound's text/event coding can be a living nightmare...).
Fidget wrote:As a topic contribution: vague idea of MyLilPon-Animal Crossing. They're both cheerful towns of colorful denizens whose lives tend to center around one individual.
This is an interesting idea too (that I could obviously get behind)- though I would also extend it to 'custom villagers' in general (for someone like me that has a lot of furry characters).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

Is there any Mario Kart 64 hacks out there?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

swirlybomb wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:arrpuhgees
arrpigs
rapuhgs
Regarding RPG hacks, there's a hack of Romancing SaGa 3 that adds tons of stuff from every single SaGa game into it (characters, bosses, skills...).

It's called Romancing SaGa 3.12. Here's the site. (It's in Japanese)

Here's a playlist of it, it's pretty amazing.

Just dropping by to share this information with you peeps~
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
CM30

Post by CM30 »

You know what? Here's another series that really needs ROM hacks:

Mario & Luigi

You know, the series that brought us Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team.

To see ROM hacks based on it would be incredible. Even more so if they were based on the last two games, with the same level of impressiveness in the custom Bros Attacks and enemy attack patterns. God, the thought of Mario running away from and countering enemies from Zelda, Pokemon, Wario or Donkey Kong Country in this style is just awesome.

And that's not even getting into the awesome potential custom giant battles would have. Giant Luigi vs Giant King Boo? Giant Luigi vs the Tough Possessor from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon? Giant Bowser or Luigi vs Megaleg/Megahammer/Boomsday Machine/Gobblegut/Hooktail/the Shadow Queen/Super Dimentio? That would be epic. Heck, you could even put non video game/Mario content in too, for those who want to see Giant Luigi/Bowser against the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus, or the Kaiju from Pacific Rim, or Godzilla, King Kong, various monsters from Doctor Who, etc.

Heck, this mashup could show the potential alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3Pnpuijk4

Mario & Luigi hacks. Would be freaking brilliant.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Now that you mention it, I want to see Giant Bowser or Giant Luigi toke on a Zerg Leviathan, the King of All Cosmos, the Zodiac Memory, or Kraid.

Although, Super Paper Mario ROMhacks could prove pretty neat as well. Taking a page from a certain Paper Mario Game a fan came up with, there could even be bonus chapters, one of which could be a shout out to the eighth level of Stinkoman 20X6, except with levels from the original SPM, and another bonus chapter could be a shout out to Eversion!

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me