(shouting)

Project Moonpepper (WIP Unity Engine)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Project Moonpepper (WIP Unity Engine)

Post by Rixithechao »

PROJECT SOURCE AVAILABLE ON GITHUB

LATEST TEST BUILD

GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER WITH DOCUMENTATION AND STUFF

Older stuff:
Test Build V0.0.0.005
Test Build V0.0.0.003
Test Build V0.0.0.001
Test Build V0.0.0.000

(in order of newest to oldest)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FAQ:

What is this?
An engine/framework being developed in Unity as an alternative to Mario World, SMBX and the Hello Engine, specifically geared towards ASMT games.

Why should I use this?
Unity is a completely free engine and offers a ridiculous amount of customization for the in-editor tools. The end goal of this project is a free, open-source engine and development suite that’s user-friendly like SMBX, but much more flexible and custom-tailored toward ASMT-style gameplay.

What are some of the cool features this engine will offer?
  • No arbitrary limits – as many of each resource type as you want, levels as big as your computer can handle, ALL THE CHECKPOINTS, etc.
  • Take advantage of Unity’s inherent 3D capabilities for 3D / 2.5D overworlds, easy parallax scrolling in levels and other nifty stuff
  • An extensive code framework and series of in-editor tools to help simplify creating or modifying characters, enemies, bosses, blocks, items, tilesets, you name it
  • Layer-based level editing with the option to set the movement/physics, color and other properties for each layer
  • An event scripting system similar to that in SMBX – set up fancy cutscenes and scripted events without touching the source code (though that’s certainly an option if you want)
  • Environmental controls like weather effects, darkness, tint and ambient sounds to help create the perfect atmosphere for your level
  • Build standalone executables for PC, Mac, Linux and the Unity Web Player
  • And many more!
How close is the project to completion?
I can’t give any sort of precise percentage or anything and I'm still working on a more concrete checklist, so for now let's just say it'll be a while. At the time of writing this, much of the groundwork has been laid out and most of the above features are already implemented to some degree, but the engine is still very buggy and incomplete.
Last edited by Rixithechao 9 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Re: A Unity Thing

Post by Lunikyuu »

Seems pretty interesting, though I would have to try it myself to form a full opinion of it. I will say that your sprites from the other topic look pretty cool, so I'm interested in how this will turn out.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Arright, so I've got a proto-proto-prototype. On top of other bugs and incomplete stuff, a number of things that were working in the editor are broken in this version or had to be outright disabled in order to compile it. Some of the music and sound effects don't play at all, the in-level camera is locked into place... all that fun stuff. :|

https://googledrive.com/host/0B-w323Pex ... 00000.html

But the basic progression from splash screens to title to overworld to level and back to the overworld, that works (thank [DEITY OF YOUR CHOICE] for coroutines!) Controller support is kinda working in that you can move Demo around (she's really fast and slippery at the moment, I think some of the speed parameters got reset somehow), but stuff like overworld movement has to be done with the arrow keys/wasd.

Well, I could go on and on about everything wrong with this wonderful first impression or I could spend my time trying to fix all of that stuff, so I'll just leave it at that and hopefully I'll have something more impressive to show in the next few days or so. Right now I'm trying to figure out why these tile grids are overwriting each other.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

-Demo picks up speed --> falls off-screen --> "For science"
Golden stuff.

Hey, not a bad start! But you might wanna slow down the turbo speed. I hope this progress keeps up.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

why can't all games let you skip loading (wat?)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Aaaaaand I meant to get this post up last night but I didn't because reasons. All the reasons.

Whatever, new build! Lotta stuff fixed/improved, some stuff added, new bugs and all that jazz. But most importantly, the licensing thingamajig is now 50% less racist against magical cartoon horses.
https://googledrive.com/host/0B-w323Pex ... n0001.html
Euparkeria wrote:-Demo picks up speed --> falls off-screen --> "For science"
Golden stuff.

Hey, not a bad start! But you might wanna slow down the turbo speed. I hope this progress keeps up.
Turbo Demo is nerfed, though the physics still need a lot of work. The system I currently have set up relies too much on multipliers and calculated stuff, doesn't offer enough control over individual details like jump height, walk speed, walk acceleration, skid time, etc. And that's sorta kinda really dang important for something as nuanced as Mario-style movement.

And yeah, them death messages. There's a list for each type of death, so you'll start to see some other familiar quotes + really silly/stupid jokes once I get enemies and hazards and stuff in. :D
Rénà wrote:why can't all games let you skip loading (wat?)
I also wrote one of those gameplay tip things, it was pretty much just a rant about having gameplay tip things on loading screens. But the first screen was already wordy enough for both of them and I don't know if anyone else is really bothered by those things as much as I am. They're eventually going to be replaced with proper splash screens anyway.

Also wow, the stuff you've got in the programming thread is incredible... I need to get this code in presentable order so you can tell me everything I'm doing wrong.

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: A Unity Thing (WIP ASMT Engine)

Post by Hoeloe »

It's certainly a start. It looks like you might want to work on your collisions and such - I'm not sure how you're managing blocks, but since it's basically the most important aspect of an engine like this, it's important to get it right - It's the sort of thing I'd normally sit and think about for a few days before actually implementing, just to make sure I knew what I was doing. That said, it's a start. It's got a long way to go, but it could turn out awesome, in time.
TheKirBro

A Unity Thing (a.k.a Demo the Hedgehog)

Post by TheKirBro »

Definitely a good start. Here is what I think of it so far:

PROS: I love the humour placed in the game so far. It's quite funny that when you die, instead of just saying "TOO BAD" or "YOU DIED", it says "FOR SCIENCE.". Also, I liked both the version numbers. It got a chuckle out of me.

CONS: Demo is a bit slippery. Also, from the picture you gave us, the levels seem to not fit Demo's current state (i.e. going faster than light and jumping so high that she could touch the asteroid belt), although I know this will be fixed for the most part later.

Hope progress goes on well. Also, sorry if this seems like a block of text.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I don't have a new build ready quite yet, but here's a few things to look forward to:

- Splash screens temporarily removed to reduce start-to-play time
- Title screen reworked into a proper test room with much more varied terrain
- Revised physics in accordance with this thing
- More robust camera based on this video
- Blocks' sprites don't disappear anymore
- Powerup states are in, mushrooms work
- Demo can now look up, duck, crawl and slide (sliding is still buggy)

@TheKirBro: You're talking to the king of text blocks here :lol: That, good sir, is no text block.
And, yeah, at times I do worry I'm overdoing it with the all the dumb jokes so I'm glad to hear you didn't find them annoying or anything!

@Hoeloe: I agree that I was probably too hasty with putting this project up, but what's done is done and the only thing to do now is to push forward, right?

Blocks are handled the same way as regular ground: rigidbody + box/mesh collider + specific layer. The only difference is that when the player hits a block with a positive vertical velocity, it calls Physics.OverlapSphere at the collision point to trigger all of the blocks the player should've hit (otherwise it usually won't pick up collisions with the middle blocks) and the player's vertical velocity is set to zero. In the last test build it doesn't check for relative position beforehand or push Demo out of the block at the end, which should account for much of the wonky behavior with bottom and side collisions.

AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

This'll probably end up really good..if you don't quit randomly at some point due to reasons.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

AUS wrote:This'll probably end up really good..if you don't quit randomly at some point due to reasons.
I'm not going to leave everyone hanging like that, if I do have to quit I'll make sure to put the source up so you guys can pick up where I left off, assuming I haven't done so already by that point.

Now, quick question: While I'm focusing on the physics, are there any particular aspects of the SMW physics that folks generally don't like compared to other engines? Like, if you guys could have the ideal combination of SMW and SMB/2/3/X physics, how would y'all mix and match them?

TheKirBro

Post by TheKirBro »

Rockythechao wrote:
AUS wrote:This'll probably end up really good..if you don't quit randomly at some point due to reasons.
I'm not going to leave everyone hanging like that, if I do have to quit I'll make sure to put the source up so you guys can pick up where I left off, assuming I haven't done so already by that point.

Now, quick question: While I'm focusing on the physics, are there any particular aspects of the SMW physics that folks generally don't like compared to other engines? Like, if you guys could have the ideal combination of SMW and SMB/2/3/X physics, how would y'all mix and match them?
Since SMBX and SMW are on opposite ends of the physics spectrum, I say try to find a balance between these two. Maybe that way Demo could be more mobile than SMBX, but less than SMW, and that could make level designs easier.
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

I'm a sucker for ice physics (pls dun murder), so I have to say, SMW's ice physics are WAY better than X's.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

maybe just have a script for each instead of trying to combine them (i loove smw physics btw)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

The ground movement and jumping tables have been transcribed, converted to decimal and added into Unity as a series of arrays. I'm setting up a PlayerPhysics asset type, but it's going to be really clunky until I can A) serialize 2D arrays, or B) figure out how translate the data tables into inspector-friendly formulas that offer as much clear control as the data tables while not being completely unmanageable ("I just tweaked the walk acceleration, why is Demo suddenly doing [something weird] with [something completely unrelated]?")

I s'pose the important thing is that sets of physics data are now files that can be duplicated, tweaked, etc. and then assigned to player characters in a single inspector field, even if the editor interface for said files isn't super-intuitive at the moment.

devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

you can use a custom inspector OR just a 1 dimensional array of structs
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I whipped up a function to display serialized 1D arrays as rows of fields, so in theory I should be able to fake the tables. Just need to write up a propertydrawer for the class.

...Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose the smartest way to handle this would be to give each slope angle a "downhill pull" multiplier and use that to interpolate between min and max values for everything else.

It won't be as accurate as using the exact values, but it should be close enough (at least, in theory) and much easier to manage -- I'd really only need one array, Vector2 for everything else.

EDIT:
So instead of having an arbitrary number of movement types for each physics set I thought I'd try something a bit more... interesting.

Every tile and object is assigned a substance type, which changes the player's physics while they're in contact with it. So for an ice tileset you'd set the tiles that are supposed to be slippery to the Ice substance, and whenever the player lands on those tiles their movement is changed accordingly.

I also added an "atmosphere" setting to the scene properties controller to change the global substance in the scene. If the atmosphere substance is solid it'll overwrite any objects or tiles set to use the "Normal" substance; otherwise the player will simply behave as if they're submerged in the global substance as long as they're not touching something else.

The implementation shown in that image is far from final -- I'm going to make substances modify the player's physics instead of override them, since that gets in the way of giving different characters different physics, and I'm planning on adding plenty more options to control how the player collides with substances and what happens when they do. I'll probably throw in some properties like those in SMBX's NPC codes too for good measure.

But yeah, I'm pretty dang excited about this thing. In theory, this system could easily be used to set up all sorts of standard Mario level elements and then some -- lava, quicksand, toxic water, bombable blocks, Donkey Kong Country 2 honey walls, Spelunky spikes... I'm really curious to see what other sorts of crazy creative things folks could pull off with this!

But I'm getting waaaaay ahead of myself here, still have too much to do with the physics to get caught up in my own swirling maelstrom of hypesauce.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

You konw, I'm glad that you are super open with this and aren't afraid to show pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-not a greek letter yet stuff.

The guy who was trying to make the radish engine was weirdly secretive and never shown anything.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

It'd be neat if people would come up with names for projects other than "A [thing] thing". It was a funny and distinctive title for the original and its direct sequel, but with this oversaturation it really stops feeling like a silly fun thing and more like laziness.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

raocow wrote:You know, I'm glad that you are super open with this and aren't afraid to show pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-not a greek letter yet stuff.
The guy who was trying to make the radish engine was weirdly secretive and never shown anything.
Ninja Christ I certainly wasn't ready for this oh man oh man okay just chill Rocky you can do this just play it cool
*proceeds to trip, tumble down a large flight of stairs and spontaneously catch on fire*
Nailed it.

To be completely honest I was incredibly afraid at first, still am a tiny bit. I'm usually overly-cautious and hesitant to share something if I feel it's not up to par... there was a point when I was actually considering keeping this project a secret until I was almost done with it, but I'm glad I took the chance with that first post. The feedback and encouragement from everyone really helps, and, well, there's no sense in building an engine for a community and not getting their input until the last minute! :)

Still working on the whole "not taking forever to write each post" thing, though! :lol:
Ditocoaf wrote:It'd be neat if people would come up with names for projects other than "A [thing] thing". It was a funny and distinctive title for the original and its direct sequel, but with this oversaturation it really stops feeling like a silly fun thing and more like laziness.
I'm all for giving this engine a better name, but I'm not coming up with any clear winners. Can't think of any puns that don't sound painfully-strained, for some reason "Moonpepper"/"Starpepper" keep coming to mind (Lunar Magic + Chili Pepper because Radish Engine? *shrug*) but those just sound silly.

"The Engine Formerly Known as AUT"?

...Yeah, I think I'll just leave it to the professionals.

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

"Moonpepper" is actually a pretty neat name. I'd use something called the Moonpepper platforming engine.
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa

Post by july »

"Moonpepper" is a great name for an engine/rock band/illicit substance.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Moonpepper sounds awesome. I'd go with it if it were me making the decision.
This whole thing seems awesome. Even if I don't know squat about Unity.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ditocoaf wrote:It'd be neat if people would come up with names for projects other than "A [thing] thing". It was a funny and distinctive title for the original and its direct sequel, but with this oversaturation it really stops feeling like a silly fun thing and more like laziness.
Okay, Now I'm going to re-name my "Super Demo World" fan game into "A [thing] Thing". It'll be great!
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Project Moonpepper (WIP Unity Engine)

Post by Leet »

the future of talkhaus games is bright
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.