(shouting)

A2MBXT beta testing

The second SMBX collab!
Slit08

Re: A2MBXT beta testing

Post by Slit08 »

Unfortunately I cannot Progress. Upon entering "A World one Level" I get an error message: Run Time Error "13" Type Mismatch. Does anyone know how I can solve this Problem?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Oh, that. Apparently SMBX insists its decimal separators be periods instead of commas. If you go to your Regional Settings and set the decimal separator to ".", then it should work.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

ztarwuff wrote:Wow, seriously? Soggy Sands is... I had to go look at the original judging reviews. Each one of the three judges mentioned the level being lengthy, with one judge saying the level would go into Zebraworld.

<snip>

As MonkeyShrapnel was around to heed my advice in regards to Koopa Time, I think he should still be around to take heed of our advice and fix his level himself. If I PM him with my comments, does anybody else want to add their comments to my PM as well?
Hey, wait a minute - why aren't the changes I made to this level in the update either?

Here - try the change I made and see if you like it better: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/490 ... ySands.zip

Also - while you're at it - try the larger changes I made to Triforce Trials. Nobody has given me feedback on it and it was left out of the update too for some reason. -_-

Come on SAJewers - why were my updates left out?

Oh, also - can you please go in and fix the music for Abstract Assault. Just rename the music file "VR Training.mp3" and it should work. I guess I changed the name at some point and they somehow got out of sync.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mabel wrote:
Credits:
how does everyone feel having a skip option for this? would be annoying to replay the last level and have to sit through it every time(unless it only plays once then i guess its fine)
I'm not sure If I'm gonna do this, what should change is that after you collect the super leek, you have to enter a door. That door takes you to a "loading" screen in a blank section in that level. halfway in the section, you collect a leek (moving the SMW leek from the super leek room into another room). collecting that fires an event that causes blocvks to appear right behind the leek/player, along with a warp to end the level. on the other side, is a warp that leads to the cutscene. then add a level dot in the OW to replay the cutscene.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Mabel wrote:Palov Gold:
-I dont think you need the text when switching characters anymore, since you have lunadll displaying the same message when you start the level.
Huh, that's weird. It doesn't happen in my original copy of the level. But you're right... whenever I hit those character switch boxes, the text appears.
Mabel wrote:
-no filters after the midpoint, was this intended?
Not needed. The filter was only because Kood couldn't get past an obstacle that was meant to show that you could safely spin jump off a yellow enemy. By the time you get to the midpoint that's no longer an issue.
-why are the chase goopas immune to fire? of all the things to be immune to fire why chase goopas?-.-
This was my first level. It's probably a consequence of thinking that the difficulty I came across in ASMBXT was normal for this community.

Mind you, the level in this package isn't my latest revision. I could have sworn I submitted a new revision after someone complained that the second half felt a bit lacklustre.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf8x5n13u67vv ... ersion.rar

Maybe I didn't. Anyway, the version in the link addresses the nofireball issue and the weird text issue.
Axon

Post by Axon »

In response to criticism, an update to Johnson McCain and the Communists:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zn7woh22cpz5 ... stsV13.rar

Changes:
- Added coins in a few safe spots
- Altered the shell cannon part of the ship to be slightly more forgiving.
- Increased the initial distance between the last 2 blue goopas and their shells.
- Increased the size of the platform below the first powerup in the interior section.
- Added a 1-up somewhere.
Also, why is the old music file for the interior section back in the folder?
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

New Problem. While I did solve the Problem with the regional Settings the Super Leek didn't appear at the end of Castle 1 after I defeated the Princess (I played as Kood).

The hunt begins!
Kil

Post by Kil »

I'm waiting for a big update to test since the original version I downloaded was kinda raw and had several issues

Is that gonna happen
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay, replayed Castle 1 with Demo and once again no super leak but instead a normal leak after defeating Peach in Another Castle. However this does not Trigger the EoW 1 cutscene so any advice or any solution to that Problem would be greatly appreciated.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Slit08 wrote:Okay, replayed Castle 1 with Demo and once again no super leak but instead a normal leak after defeating Peach in Another Castle. However this does not Trigger the EoW 1 cutscene so any advice or any solution to that Problem would be greatly appreciated.
Works perfectly fine for me. If it doesn't work in the next update, then I don't know what to tell you.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote:
Mabel wrote:
Credits:
how does everyone feel having a skip option for this? would be annoying to replay the last level and have to sit through it every time(unless it only plays once then i guess its fine)
I'm not sure If I'm gonna do this, what should change is that after you collect the super leek, you have to enter a door. That door takes you to a "loading" screen in a blank section in that level. halfway in the section, you collect a leek (moving the SMW leek from the super leek room into another room). collecting that fires an event that causes blocvks to appear right behind the leek/player, along with a warp to end the level. on the other side, is a warp that leads to the cutscene. then add a level dot in the OW to replay the cutscene.
OK, just did this.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Erphh. Are you ignoring me SAJewers? I already asked you twice why the changes I made to Sloppy sands and Triforce Trials weren't in the latest release.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Portal 2 music in Shelter in the Snow? gets ContentID'd.

Short video to finish World 4.
Out of Season (Secret Leek)
The issues I have with this level were addressed by the level creator previously. If that patch gets made, this level will have no issues except that you should remove the warp out of the secret route back to the normal route. There's no reason to want to go back.
Johnson McCain and the Communists
Right at the very end, after you get the super leek, a door is briefly visible in the centre of the screen. I thought the difficulty for this level was fine but I was playing with the fixed version Axon just posted.

Also, even though all my videos have subconsciously become LP-like, this one really became LP-like and I think it's actually one of the better vids I've made (this level specifically).
EOW4 Cutscene
Quite a few typos and grammatical errors. See the video.

Also, don't ignore docopoper, that's just rude.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

docopoper wrote:Erphh. Are you ignoring me SAJewers? I already asked you twice why the changes I made to Sloppy sands and Triforce Trials weren't in the latest release.
SAJewers wrote:Yeah, I probably missed some updates. repost the link and i'll get it for next time.
^

EDIT: Damnit, now I have to find new music for Shelter in the snow. Also Graphical Glitch is fixed already.
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

SAJewers wrote:I had to put a way out in that level because otherwise you'd be stuck with no way out, and would have to reload the game.
If the only real newer than new changes I should take into account are that and the ice Cat Llama as a reward, I could just do those on mine and things would be fine, right?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

OK, updated update archive of levels: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z

Note that for the "castle" levels, I only tested the world 1 castle level, and I know that one works. The other ones should, but I can't guarantee it.

Also, If I missed an updated level, then re-post it, as I missed it when you posted it earlier.

DinnerSonic wrote:
SAJewers wrote:I had to put a way out in that level because otherwise you'd be stuck with no way out, and would have to reload the game.
If the only real newer than new changes I should take into account are that and the ice Cat Llama as a reward, I could just do those on mine and things would be fine, right?
I honestly don't know what was changed and by who. The main thing was that the player needed to get back to the main area after beating the boss. It might be best just to download the latest version that I have and compare.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

New updades for my levels:
I fixed some more cutoff from Mishitest I noticed while testing.
The fruitcat clouds is slightly longer now.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing

Edit:
Latest version of Another Castle was impossible to finish. There was no warp out of the bossroom.
Also in the section 4 the player was too far to the left to collect the leek in there.
Here is the version with a door and the leek slightly to the left.
Attachments
Dragondraikk-AnotherCastle.rar
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 2595 times
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

And now for the videos that sapped all the fun out of my day along with most of my enthusiasm for testing this game. If you're watching these in public, watch with headphones in, at the very least for Parc du Debonair and Lightning in a Box onwards.

HUB
The new leek system is glitchy as all hell for me but that could well be because I have an old save: leeks are always visible and world 8 was unlocked just by getting world 5's leek. If someone could start a new save to see if it all works fine, that would be great.
900 Place des Ormeaux
See the video for where the typos are.
Dyin' for an Electrifyin'
Fine, but I'd recommend removing ? boxes in hard-to-reach places if they only have a single coin in them. It feels like a kick in the teeth to risk yourself for nothing. Your call though.
Parc du Debonair
This is extremely technically impressive garbage. It could just be my general dislike of and incompetence at custom bosses but this seemed fundamentally unfun to me. A good place to start improving it, in my opinion, would be slowing down Science and stopping the bullets from staying on screen and flooding it.
Crazed Circuitry
Fine but I recommend varying up the Thwomp segments a bit. There's no practical difference between each jump. Your call though.
Fun Times at the Laundromat
There's an instance where a mushroom can touch lava. Fix that and this would be the best level in World 5 (so far at least) by a long shot (in my opinion).
Lightning in a Box
Fine but way too hard for me. If you want to make concessions to that then I'd recommend lengthening the blocks after the conveyer (see the vid) so you don't suddenly speed off and die. Also the powerup filter before the boss seems unnecessary: the section's challenging (at least for me) even with a feather.
I Do Think You Fit This Shoe
It's not obvious how to kill the boss. My first reaction is to grab the carrots but you can't do that, and once I realised I couldn't do that I assumed that I couldn't grab the vegetables either. I recommend making both grab-able. Secondly, remove the vegetables at either side of the level: they're just red herrings. Thirdly, I think the difficulty could be toned down slightly by removing the piranha plants or the centre flower, but that's your call. The first two issues are more important.
Grand Trunk Arena
After myself and others put so much free time into testing this game, some others much more than me, this is how you repay us in general? By mocking us? You little shithead. Yes, I'd be just as incensed if it was directly targeting someone else such as, for example, Sept P, who mentioned the damn problem in the first place! I am staggered that you would publicly whinge about constructive criticism in such a malicious way. Poison Tree's textbox has nothing on this. There's also numerous problems in the second half but I won't mention them here or in the buglist. Minnakht, if you're reading this, you can watch the video and see them for yourself. Fix them yourself if you want to (I know you don't) but I encourage everyone else not to fix them. It's quite clear he'd like his name permanently attached to a flawed level that he can call his own much more than he'd like making something good that other people helped with, even though he'd still take full in-game credit for the latter. You're a really shit person.
EuroShell R&D
I really don't know how to judge this. Shell-riding still seems arbitrary to me. Every time I think I've figured out how to do it properly it suddenly doesn't work. I get the feeling from the large amount of powerups that you kind of expected this. I really don't know what to say.
Superfluous Security
There's an instance where a mushroom can touch lava. The level, in my opinion at least, could also be made much better by removing every single donut shooter.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Grand Trunk Arena
After myself and others put so much free time into testing this game, some others much more than me, this is how you repay us in general? By mocking us? You little shithead. Yes, I'd be just as incensed if it was directly targeting someone else such as, for example, Sept P, who mentioned the damn problem in the first place! I am staggered that you would publicly whinge about constructive criticism in such a malicious way. Poison Tree's textbox has nothing on this. There's also numerous problems in the second half but I won't mention them here or in the buglist. Minnakht, if you're reading this, you can watch the video and see them for yourself. Fix them yourself if you want to (I know you don't) but I encourage everyone else not to fix them. It's quite clear he'd like his name permanently attached to a flawed level that he can call his own much more than he'd like making something good that other people helped with, even though he'd still take full in-game credit for the latter. You're a really shit person.
Hmm, well I haven't gotten to that level yet and will only be able to watch your video later. But letting a level be crap is not something I want to allow happen. There first off should be no whiny textboxes in levels - that reflects terrible on the game as a whole and sours the player's opinion of the level creator and thus the level.

At this point I have become very willing to make changes 'for the good of the game' as opposed to complying with authors being stubborn. So if I hate this level as much as it sounds like you hate it when I get to it I will have no qualm in making larger scale changes to make the level at least bearable if not pleasant (obviously though I will always keep the original structure of the level).

In fact I will probably go and remove that message box from poison tree too. These sort of things should not be in the game.

Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

EuroShell R&D would be better without the first two switches. they get on the way of the player in the first shell jumping section. It also looks like someone has made it a lot harder by adding more spikes and deathly shell jumping. It was not this bad before.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I made EuroShell R&D less unfair.
Ztarwuff had a new version coming, so this is not needed.

Edit: Add the other file to the folder of the Fun TimesAtTheLaundromat by Axon and SuperfluousSecurity by Sedron. It prevents the beet from falling into the lava. This works for any level that has beets coming out of item boxes near lava.
Attachments
Axon-funtimesatthelaundromat.rar
Add this to the Axon-funtimesatthelaundromat and Sedron-SuperfluousSecurity
so that the beets do not fall into lava.
(80 Bytes) Downloaded 193 times
Last edited by Willhart 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Johnson McCain & the Communists changed its music! Noo!

I think with Parc du Debonair, most people liked it because it won them over on cool points alone. But like you said, it just isn't any fun regardless. Science moves too fast to be hit, and the shots just go all over the place, meaning there is little to nothing you can do against him which is awful. There's even shots that stay endlessly on the screen if you stay up there to try and hit him. I mean, you could say that brings in an element of strategy, because I think you're intended to wait until Science slows down before you hit him. Even then, the window you have is very thin.

Disco shell riding in Euroshell is one of those things you really just have to know how to do for it to be entertaining, which I pointed out when I played it the first time. I thought it was all mostly fair in the first draft, just that the concept itself might have been too tricky for World 5. Of course, its obvious that hoping that a proper difficulty scale is impossible at this point. I think the level got changed to be less lethal though, so that's good.
(What is the trick to shell riding? I think its walking onto the shell as it bounces away from you, then holding the direction you want to go in. Works most of the time for me.)

Did Superfluous Security's scroll speed get booted up from 1? I hope so.
Last edited by Isrieri 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kil

Post by Kil »

If you guys really want to make unsolicited changes to levels, you should just focus on making them easier. Random design "flaws" are not that big of a deal. It's the having to repeat the level 30 times and bullshit deaths that are going to turn people off.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

While it looks like maybe
Science
could slow down some, you kept dying before he slowed down enough that you could attack again, Shemp.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

To make Science work the way it currently is without changing anything, all you need are periodic mushrooms* to drop in. Like say, after he starts to speed up again, when you're window for hitting him has expired. It makes him an endurance match instead of a tricky twitch-finger fight. But lets face it: He is an endurance match.

*IN ADDITION TO the powerups at the start.