(shouting)

Last movie you watched?

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: Last movie you watched?

Post by RedMageSusie »

limepie20 wrote:When you see it you should tell me how it compares to For A Few Dollars More so I know whether to watch it.
After about a month, I finally got around to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Totally worth it.

And to answer your question (if you're still interested), I would say you should see For A Few Dollars More. It's definitely a good step up from A Fistful of Dollars and is closer to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in terms of quality and plot. Lee Van Cleef is still in it. The role is different (which confused me at first), but he and Clint Eastwood have really good chemistry and there are some tense moments that'll grab your attention.

Essentially, I probably wouldn't rewatch A Fistful of Dollars, but I'll probably rewatch For A Few Dollars More, even after seeing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER

IT'S REALLY GOOD

IN CASE ANYONE HERE HASN'T SEEN IT YET
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

swirlybomb wrote:CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER

IT'S REALLY GOOD

IN CASE ANYONE HERE HASN'T SEEN IT YET
Same here. 'Murica.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

I went in with the right expectations and I came out a happy camper with Winter Soldier.

Long as you go in expecting the usual/a ton of action sequences you're good.

If you're expecting them to get creative somehow you're at the wrong movie.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Captain America definitely surprised me. I went with my friends because I just wanted to hang out, but it was thoroughly entertaining. Yeah, there were some dumb moments, but I tend to be more forgiving when the rest of the movie is pretty good.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I watched Wreck-It Ralph last Monday and it was good
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

It had been at least 10 years, and it was as good as I remember it. =D
My brother left halfway through because it was "too weird" for him, but my sister absolutely loved it.
Uncle Sam

Post by Uncle Sam »

Last movie I saw was Downfall, the one with the famous Hitler scene that's parodied everywhere

It's actually a very good film IMO
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

RedMageMike wrote:
limepie20 wrote:When you see it you should tell me how it compares to For A Few Dollars More so I know whether to watch it.
After about a month, I finally got around to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Totally worth it.
Oh, thanks for responding. Maybe I will check out For a Few Dollars More, then!

In other news, I watched Frozen and it was ugh. But that's not very surprising.
I also watched American Hustle and the acting, visuals, and music were very good. It was entertaining and fun to watch for sure. Other than that though, there's not much to say. And I feel like the character development felt off and weird. Especially Amy Adams' character's intentions made no sense or were confusing at times. I think it tried to do too much. It should've been more focused. But not looking too deeply into it, it's very entertaining to watch.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I liked Frozen, personally. It was a fun little romp, good songs, and I liked the character of Elsa and what kinds of conflict she had to go through.

Fearing ones own power is a really interesting character trait, I can dig it. X-Men is the only other place I've really seen it done.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I liked the visuals of Frozen. Pretty good animation. But I thought the plot was the same thing as all the other movies! And yeah the music was nice and catchy. But I don't think it was very original because a lot of the tunes are very familiar already.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

limepie20 wrote:I liked the visuals of Frozen. Pretty good animation. But I thought the plot was the same thing as all the other movies! And yeah the music was nice and catchy. But I don't think it was very original because a lot of the tunes are very familiar already.
Nearly every teenage girl in my vicinity is obsessed with its soundtrack. It's a bit unnerving.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, I know it!
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

Frozen was the last movie I watched, and... I don't get what's so great about it.

The absurdity of the premise was kind of off-putting, especially: so, princess with ice magic accidentally injures her sister, and some trolls have to heal the sister by making her forget about the ice magic. Sounds reasonable. Then, apparently, the ice princess's powers supposedly can get really dangerous in the future if she gets too scared, so they... scare her. Into not being scared. And then they decide to lock the ice princess away to learn to control her powers. Er... kind of heartless, but... OK. But they've got to lie to the sister? Why? And then they... lock the sister in the castle? OK, it's not explicitly said that she was locked in, but she sure did seem over-excited about having the windows and doors open and "finally [having] a chance" at finding a boyfriend, or something.

So the ice princess's parents die in a boat or something. Tragic. Then the ice princess becomes the ice queen, and apparently she has to keep her powers a secret from the citizens too. Because, of course, it's not like they could have, you know, played it up as a good thing from the time she was a child. So she sort of succeeds, but then she gets into a fight with her sister, loses her protective gloves, accidentally freezes some things, gets treated like a monster, and runs off. WOW! I DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING!

People make mistakes, but the amount of stupidity needed to create this scenario is ludicrous. All of this could have been prevented if the sister was just told, "Hey, by the way, your sister is training to control mysterious ice powers she has." Or if the citizens were told, "Hey, the princess has really wonderful ice powers that are going to bring us good fortune in the future!" Or if the parents and trolls didn't use scare tactics. The number of stupid decisions required for the conflict to happen is too large for me to suspend disbelief.

The rest of the movie was just... mediocre. Not bad, but not special.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

What if there was an open-source movie. Just think about it.
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

dr_kraid wrote:What if there was an open-source movie. Just think about it.
Actually, someone is crowdfunding exactly that:

https://cloud.blender.org/gooseberry/

They call it "open production" and "open animation". I get the impression that they just mean that they're using "open source" software, as opposed to being free/libre culture, but I could be wrong.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I watched Blade and Blade II again recently. I still need to rewatch Blade Trinity but I'm watching Stargate SG-1 which has caught my interest a lot more. The trilogy is still fairly interesting though and after not having watched them in quite awhile I realized just how bad the events of the first two movies actually were for the vampires.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Since a friend knew I was on a recent Street Fighter kick, we watched the Street Fighter II animated movie. It took awhile to get anywhere, then a lot of things were just written off since I think the people behind it realized that they must have an over the top anime battle finish. It was silly fun.
Last edited by Bean 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel today. There was a guy in front of me in the audience who was younger than me and wearing a three-piece suit. I can't say I was surprised.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Amazing Spiderman 2.
It was really bad.

It has a lot of issues but one thing that stood out to me is that it was one of the first movies where it had a basically 100% blatantly bad soundtrack. First of all, they used Electro as an excuse to shoot fake dubstep because that's what the kids are into these days I guess (I'm not kidding. It was literally playing music every time he shot electricity or anything) but there was one scene where Electro got all mad at Spiderman because he really liked Spiderman before but Spiderman didn't remember his name so the soundtrack started playing some song where it was whispering thoughts from the perspective of electro. Like, it wasn't audible thoughts from Electro, it was actually in the soundtrack. It was whispering things like "he lied to me, he's using me, he hates-a-me" and then it finally builds up to a line in the song that goes "SPIDER MAN'S MY ENEMY" and then he does a big electricity thing and the fake dubstep drops and it's supposed to be cool but it was seriously the most awkward fight scene I've ever seen.
I'm sure you could find the song somewhere, it was just bizarre.
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

Star Trek uh...Nemesis, I think. The villain was dumb.

Oh but if it counts, then the Malaysian Dub of Return of Cooler, the DBZ movie.

EDIT: A sample, if anyone's curious! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2bh8g_Jwfg
Pyon!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Iron Man 3.

It' a movie with human bombs. In a nutshell.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Ashan wrote:Words
Might have found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDyAouw3nUw

... For being a crappy song it sure does have some star power behind it haha. Pharrell and Hans of all people.

Man I'm digging this too. I sure hope this isn't the exact song you meant because it's pretty kicking. There's got to be a different song on the OST that's similar but worse.

Dat atmosphere.

Edit: Nope, second half blatantly has exactly the words bit that Ashan speaks of. 5:12 it starts.

I disagree Ashan this is a pretty neat combination of orchestral and electro. The vocal samples are a little bit cringey when they become clearer at that time stamp, but otherwise quite nice.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I tried finding the song and came across that song too but it's not it. It sounds similar, but it was way cornier, particularly in context of the scene. That song has some kind of whispering, but in the scene it had slower whispering that actually said the lines I mentioned. It was literally singing a song about how electro was mad at Spiderman for not being his best friend or something.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Snakebite969 »

Madoka rebellion.

NEVER GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN ENGLAND SO IT'S OK
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage