(shouting)

the Official Baseball thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

the Official Baseball thread

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Since we seem to have a ton of baseball fans here let us discuss our favorite teams, or any memories we have.
That crazy voice dude
Bean
Yep.

Re: the Official Baseball thread

Post by Bean »

I would talk about the Cubs, but I think they're about to be eliminated from postseason contention already. The Cardinals are a good team to bandwagon at least... better than any other NL Central team.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Bean wrote:I would talk about the Cubs, but I think they're about to be eliminated from postseason contention already. The Cardinals are a good team to bandwagon at least... better than any other NL Central team.
Never quit on your team, man. To be fair my Braves won 14 straight division titles from 1991-2005
That crazy voice dude
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Even though I am a Cards fan I would want the Cubs to win again someday. I know that's sounds strange.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

pholtos wrote:Even though I am a Cards fan I would want the Cubs to win again someday. I know that's sounds strange.
I feel sorry for the Marlins sometimes too, but then I remember they somehow won two world series
That crazy voice dude
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

I was super lucky as a kid and my grandfather used to always get a bunch of tickets to opening day at Fenway Park so I grew up with the Red Sox. I remember watching in awe as the first pitch of my first game, Manny Ramirez hit a home run. I remember the nights during the 2004 World Series huddled on the couch with my mom watching intently as the Sox swept the Cardinals. I remember the tears of joy and the calls between family members as they won. I still follow them to this day whether I'm in DC, Houston, or back in New England, if the Sox are playing, I'm watching.

Oh yeah, and I guess we also have some other okay sports teams in the northeast too.

Never really understood other sports, but Baseball is totally my jam.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

For the Cards fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1g4tRtQYS8

Anyways, I was a huuuuuuuge Jays fan growing up, mainly because they were actually good. One of my earliest memories was the big Joe Carter home run in the '93 World Series. I kinda stopped following for a few years after many frustrating years of mediocrity (although, '06 had a pretty good team). Got back into it again just because I missed the game so much.

Last year was a huge disappointment, even more so than 2012. At least 2012 didn't have much promise to begin with. I wasn't one of those nuts who thought they were going to the World Series for sure, but I was hoping they would at least be competitive. Not sure about this year, but if their pitching can hold up, maybe we have an outside chance at a wild card spot. Especially since the Tampa Bay rotation has taken a beating (they're still really good though).
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

RedMageMike wrote:For the Cards fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1g4tRtQYS8

Anyways, I was a huuuuuuuge Jays fan growing up, mainly because they were actually good. One of my earliest memories was the big Joe Carter home run in the '93 World Series. I kinda stopped following for a few years after many frustrating years of mediocrity (although, '06 had a pretty good team). Got back into it again just because I missed the game so much.

Last year was a huge disappointment, even more so than 2012. At least 2012 didn't have much promise to begin with. I wasn't one of those nuts who thought they were going to the World Series for sure, but I was hoping they would at least be competitive. Not sure about this year, but if their pitching can hold up, maybe we have an outside chance at a wild card spot. Especially since the Tampa Bay rotation has taken a beating (they're still really good though).
Just get a few Bautista bombs again
That crazy voice dude
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Bautista bombs don't make up for general pitching shittiness. At least, when we're getting AAA starters every other game. Hopefully no one's arm explodes this year and we have a chance. ...If the rest of the team can stay decently healthy. Reyes is supposed to be back this weekend, hopefully for the whole year.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Julio Tehran just had an amazing pitching performance against the Phillies! The only downside of the game is that we had 11 hits, yet only one run.
That crazy voice dude
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

In all honesty, the Cubs are in a rebuilding stretch, so 70 wins would be a nice surprise in a division that's proving to be surprisingly competitive in the early going. I wasn't expecting the Brewers to start out the way they did, that's for sure. Same could also be said about the AL East and Central, too.
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

A lot of close races already. I can't complain about it, especially if it keeps going down the stretch. This year should be exciting!
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

My Bravos are off to another fast start ^_^
That crazy voice dude
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Feels like the Cards and Braves have been on the road almost the whole month. A quick check shows that's almost the case with both of them only playing eight games at home so far. Cubs are hanging in there. They're only 8 GB of the Brewers less than twenty games into the season.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

My Falcons used to be terrible too, bean
That crazy voice dude
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Gattisfaction
That crazy voice dude
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Way to blow a 5 run lead, Jays.

Uuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. There's still 4 innings left, but that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dunno what Gibbons was thinking putting their worst reliever in with the bases loaded and no out.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Meanwhile my braves have the best pitching rotation in baseball
That crazy voice dude
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

RedMageMike wrote:Way to blow a 5 run lead, Jays.

Uuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. There's still 4 innings left, but that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dunno what Gibbons was thinking putting their worst reliever in with the bases loaded and no out.
Cubs blew a 5-2 9th inning lead on Wrigley's 100th anniversary. I don't even follow baseball like that (more exciting to play than watch) and even that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

MrDeePay wrote:Cubs blew a 5-2 9th inning lead on Wrigley's 100th anniversary. I don't even follow baseball like that (more exciting to play than watch) and even that left a bad taste in my mouth.
As a Cub fan, I have to say that game was very Cub-like. The kings of the come from ahead loss, baby! Hoping they can at least shut down the Reds tonight. I do not like those dudes at all.
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Welp, Melky Cabrera just took a heater to the leg. I'm so glad the Jays management decide to have a short bench so they can carry marginal longmen in their bullpen. Let's not have any protection in case someone goes down. So so stupid.

I swear, that's three years in a row where our hottest player goes down with a freak injury. It's like we're not allowed to do well...
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Bean wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:Cubs blew a 5-2 9th inning lead on Wrigley's 100th anniversary. I don't even follow baseball like that (more exciting to play than watch) and even that left a bad taste in my mouth.
As a Cub fan, I have to say that game was very Cub-like. The kings of the come from ahead loss, baby! Hoping they can at least shut down the Reds tonight. I do not like those dudes at all.
I heard Cubs (and non-Cubs) fans say those types of thing about the team, but being able to finish a game off is something that can be coached if you have the talent.

...I'm just gonna assume that the Cubs just don't have that talent. Or some goat in the heavens is sneering down on the team.

How do you even put up with that as a fan anyway?
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

Yeah, the cupboard is pretty bare for the Cubs. They're slowly amassing talent, but they're at least a couple of years from competing, I think.

In other news, pretty tough week for the Rangers. That A's series went terribly.
I'm probably driving right now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

MrDeePay wrote:How do you even put up with that as a fan anyway?
I don't know. The funny thing is how horrid they are at both making it to October and then doing anything there. Remember that baseball didn't have League Championship Series until 1969 and the Wild Card stuff until 1995. That means the Cubs have won a grand total of one playoff series since winning their two World Series titles. It's amazing.

At least they beat the Cardinals' ace yesterday? Yeah, it's the little things that keep me there as a fan.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

This four game slump does not amuse me
That crazy voice dude