(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: I will MaGL Across the Land. X'ing Far and Wide

Post by swirlybomb »

jayScribble wrote:Mario's developing a gambling problem, spending all his lives like that.
was this intentional because that's slightly brilliant
KobaBeach wrote:In MaGLX2 create a gimmick in which raocow gets testicular cancer

Imagine the drama of a vulnerable raocow still persisting with his forum contests despite his illness
I was going to say "it's okay Koba, I got the joke";
ACesspoolofHatred wrote:It needs fleshing out, but I guarantee the talkhaus would be shocked, stunned, and moved at the effort to make raocow's videos more meaningful. We love raocow, but it's about time we had a big shock for a change.
...but then someone else already explained it :<

I thought today's levels were pretty alright. I wish A Jolly Bouncing Level was longer because it's just a happy little fun concept! Ocean was super-nice visually with all the background objects/detail and stuff, but I don't have a clue why more 'standard' music wasn't used...
For curiosity's sake; did you hum/whistle the music for Bowser's Oldest Castle yourself, or did you get it from elsewhere?

...the thing about leaving a comment at the end of the day is that my opinions don't really seem to differ from most others' and I feel like I'm just repeating what's already been said a dozen times >_>
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: To Teach MaGL X to Understand Appropriate Music!!!

Post by zmonbobbo »

Haha, I miss out on this thread for one day and the Retsupurae/Navgtr references start flowin'.

I'm... really kind of surprised my level hasn't been played yet! Every day I keep thinking "that level was better than mine" for at least a couple of the videos. I'm really excited to see what the second half holds.
I'm probably driving right now.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

SAJewers wrote:
Burgers wrote:When I first heard the ocean in Ocean I only sort of 'got' the joke... I knew it sounded just like broken music from a hack raocow had played a while ago. But I expected a message box or something to reference it. That would have been a nice "OHHH! I GET IT" moment for raocow and viewers.
the music is named "youheardthisbefore.mp3". Is that not enough?
Who habitually looks in a level's folder after playing it?
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Speaking of music... I would be *very* surprised if anyone recognized my musical choices. Obscure stuffs. Unless I left the ID3 tags on them and they cheat or something, I guess.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

swirlybomb wrote:For curiosity's sake; did you hum/whistle the music for Bowser's Oldest Castle yourself, or did you get it from elsewhere?
I did that humming/whistling myself. I had an idea for the feel I wanted for the music and figured it would be better to do it myself, than to search for something pre-existing and most likely only find something only vaguely close.
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

Rednaxela wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:For curiosity's sake; did you hum/whistle the music for Bowser's Oldest Castle yourself, or did you get it from elsewhere?
I did that humming/whistling myself. I had an idea for the feel I wanted for the music and figured it would be better to do it myself, than to search for something pre-existing and most likely only find something only vaguely close.
Wow, good on you. I really like how that level was done. You put a solid amount of work into it.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach

Post by zmonbobbo »

Rednaxela wrote:
Holy cow, you really went the extra mile. For what it's worth, I think your level was pretty amazing! I especially liked the (accidental) touch of having Bowser buried and yet unable to be retrieved. It put a pretty eerie bow on the whole package.
I'm probably driving right now.
Gezo24

Post by Gezo24 »

Leet wrote:he said that gezo's opinion regarding 8flight's judging would be similar to somebody's positive opinion regarding police brutality
What? I dont have any issues regarding 8flight. Or his judging. Or police brutality.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I quess I can share the materials I used as an inspiration for the yacht tileset.
http://youtu.be/FZEAFJ_ngtM?t=2m44s
http://youtu.be/EtrHHQ9dK3o?t=8s
http://youtu.be/ypEBW5xNr8k?t=10s

They mostly helped with the design and colors.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

zmonbobbo wrote:I'm... really kind of surprised my level hasn't been played yet! Every day I keep thinking "that level was better than mine" for at least a couple of the videos. I'm really excited to see what the second half holds.
I dunno, man, I really liked Dudes! It was a happy go lucky stage with some good jokes going on. MB and the Donut dude had me giggling.

A Swim in the Sinking Lake had me re-evaluating my ideas about how descending water stages suck. Creating an elevator stage with water was actually really cool and I appreciated that, it was neat!

Lavahouse gets bonus points for the versions of Muse songs it uses as the stage tracks. The level itself is a little average but I like what it produced. Pretty much was where it belonged qualitywise. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the kind of quality we get from the next roomful of levels. Rao's missing of the midpoint was a bit daft but that's our Rao. *canned laughter*
I like, just totally realised I posted this after literally seeing it immediately after it was posted on the Youtubes. I should be more spoiler conscious!
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Through an intervention by NPCs in the slot machines, Mario is cured from his gambling problem. Somehow he is very interested in swimming instead.

"Dudes" is a fun level. Too bad the enemy variety is small, but it's not a real problem.

"A Swim in a Sinking Lake" is a good hybrid of a swimming and an elevator level, except the two block high gap with spikes part. I like how the joke part of the level changes it to be difficult, but beatable as well in contrast to what it was beforehand.

"Lavahouse" is one hard looking level if you're not playing Peach. It has some flaws with certain jumping spots, but otherwise a good level to end a world.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix

Post by QuietProtag »

Dudes (106th place): This level looks fun, dude.
A Swim in the Sinking Lake (105th place): Not a big fan of elevators levels, but this one looked alright.

Lava House (104th place) a.k.a My level:
And my level is finally being played...

I didn't think that I was going to be ranked so high (I was expecting lower, tbh). Now to copy a bit what I said on YouTube, I can understand why Horikawa can think it's tedious, since I'm not that good of a level maker. but hey, I had fun making it and it looks raocow had fun playing it, so in the end, I'm happy. (:

Also... raocow missing the midpoint, haha.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Oh hey there random Persona 4 music, you were very relevant.

I dunno, I love Persona 4 but I don't think those music choices in the non-main areas in Lavahouse were terribly appropriate when all they did was add on several megs to the already large filesize to the whole thing. Unless those very same MP3s are coincidentally reused to a greater extent in someone else's level then it might have been better to just use built-in MP3s for the side areas. The MP3 for the main area of the stage was fine though.

Not to harp on it, I'm just remembering the trouble we ran into right before we released STTB2.5, the entire project was just too large for any of the hosting services we had access to and we had to cull a large amount of the game's music, reduce their filesize by tweaking the bitrate, and consolidate duplicate tracks. At one point there was not one but three MP3s of 'hop hop donut lifts' used in the game.

(I may or may not be guilty of using a superfluous MP3 in my stage, we'll see!)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

SpoonyBardOL wrote:At one point there was not one but three MP3s of 'hop hop donut lifts' used in the game.
Original soundtrack donut steal

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS PUN
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Those levels looked okay. I think. Also, best be listening for that zwee, Cowrao. I didn't know what the heck you were doing when you skipped the midpoint!

Also, needs moar ending punctuation in the hub.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Oh hey, all names I recognize today.

Overall, not a bad job. Good way to finish out world 2. There definitely was a bit more of a progression in this world. Levels are feeling more like actual complete levels, and I'm enjoy the bits of humour thrown around (even if it's a bit in-jokey).

Dude: Amusing take on the title. I can see this being a World 1 or 2 level in a collab. That mother brain room seemed kinda random.

A Swim in the Sinking Lake: Not bad, but felt really short. I'm kinda leaning with Horikawa on this one. I realize the second half was mostly just a joke, but I kinda wish there was a bit more than just that, especially since the first half already felt kinda short.

Lava House: I can sort of understand where the tedium might come from. Some of the jumps look a bit irritating to pull off, especially with big Mario. That being said, I didn't look that bad. I would agree it deserves to be ahead of most of the levels played so far.
Sandwichman

Post by Sandwichman »

I'm surprised that my level hasn't shown up yet, it's kind of bland imo. Kinda worrying whether it was accepted or not at this point xD
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

"Dudes" was neat

But all the levels were neat-o, really
Not bad, Zmonbobbo, Pichu and Luigi
ACesspoolofHatred wrote:It needs fleshing out, but I guarantee the talkhaus would be shocked, stunned, and moved at the effort to make raocow's videos more meaningful. We love raocow, but it's about time we had a big shock for a change.
Now I kinda regret editing that reference/joke out (I worry way too much about how people may react)

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of NAVGTR, Hori
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
PichuVSLink

Post by PichuVSLink »

Ah, as much as my level deserves its relatively low place and, yeah, the comments were completely fair, but nothing makes me feel better about myself than hearing raocow laugh at my level. <3
patchoulis obtained

"graphics: 9/10, come on, it's CUSTOM!" -smwc hack review
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

Hey Horikawa, now that we're out of World 2, any chance we can get an updated list of who is left?
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Everyone, what were your favourite World 2 levels and why?
Probably Bowser's Oldest Castle because its idea and theming were very interesting and solid. A close second would probably have to be Dudes because it just seemed to lighthearted and fun while still maintaining an interesting level design.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Dudes was pretty silly, and it looked like a pretty decent level to boot. Any level that makes me laugh sits alright with me.

A Swim in the Sinking Lake was a pretty neat concept and take on the name, but the level itself didn't have a lot to it. The sinking water part was a neat concept, though swimming between spikes and having to contend with already vile bloopers and fish while sinking is pretty stressful and not a terrible lot of fun. And I get this was the joke, but the ending was just so abrupt that... yeah. Wish it could have had something more to it. The use of Aqualiss music was great, though.

Lava House was an interesting way to end World 2. It's a difficult level, but not a lot of consistency from challenge to challenge, it felt a lot like an odd obstacle course than an actual level. But, I have to admit, I think this level is one that tackled hard difficulty best so far - for what it's worth, the obstacles were challenging, but I'd say each of them was fair and let you contemplate your next move, and after you beat this, I think it would feel like you accomplished something. Making something hard is a difficult task, and I've gotta commend the author for this.
I dunno, I love Persona 4 but I don't think those music choices in the non-main areas in Lavahouse were terribly appropriate when all they did was add on several megs to the already large filesize to the whole thing. Unless those very same MP3s are coincidentally reused to a greater extent in someone else's level then it might have been better to just use built-in MP3s for the side areas. The MP3 for the main area of the stage was fine though.
I can kind of see why it is the way it is. It's absolutely true that a lot of tracks are pointless or not needed, but a good ten points on the judging rubric were devoted to music alone, which I'd assume scared a lot of people off from using default music and instead use a custom track, even when it wasn't really necessary. Especially considering how easy it is to implement custom music in your level as opposed to, say, custom graphics. Though what I might suggest if this thing is released to the public might be to bundle the music in a separate zip (or zips) from the game to make the game a bit more downloadable, considering you can go without music without the game crashing anything.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Everyone, what were your favourite World 2 levels and why?
Ah, man. Bowser's Old Castle probably stuck out as the most memorable, if maybe not my favorite level from a gameplay point of view, just because of the sheer cleverness and memorability of the concept. If this were ever polished up, I'd totally play it.

But for a level level, I'm going to have to go with Ocean. If you take the the ear-rending music out of the equation, this level is very pretty and nifty from a gameplay standpoint, and I loved how you had to maneuver through the underwater plants in particular. Good stuff.
Redbone

Post by Redbone »

If I had to describe the levels played lately, I'd go with "cute." They all seem to be levels made just to have a good time, and that's just dandy in my books. :D

Also props to Luigiman's level for some of those hammer brother placements, they seem fairly tricky.
exists on occasion
Kil

Post by Kil »

Dudes was the best level by far and will probably be so for awhile
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.