(shouting)

S.P.L.U.C.E. - What's that random reference?!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: S.P.L.U.C.E. - What's that random reference?!

Post by Validon98 »

"Well that happened" is honestly how I could describe this hack. Other people have already stated what's going on with it in their eyes, and yeah, pretty much there's potential but it is just so wasted. I also kind of find it dumb from just a personal standpoint that a Pokemon themed hack suddenly goes "let's My Little Pony and Homestuck this up." It's not the fact I don't like those two things so much, but more that they have nothing to do with the advertised theme and instead of just being a one-shot reference that everyone points and laughs at before it disappears forever, they keep coming up, Homestuck more than MLP (which besides being briefly mentioned was like... in one other level?). I just find that kind of dumb and silly, but eh.

Of course, there's also some of the gimmicks (because everyone likes a weirdly flopping around Luigi/guy-from-Homestuck-I-don't-know companion who is annoying to guide) and such, which were often not very well used, but of course I'm just repeating prior complaints.

And of course there is that final level. I do think it was nice reusing some of the gimmicks from the past, although there are some times when an overly long final level without a sense of some sort of pre-boss checkpoint is pushing it in terms of difficulty, and that's this case.

All in all, this hack, while probably not the worst, would probably need to be heavily worked on in order to make it generally more enjoyable. At least it's over, right?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Man... that last level. For some reason I feel like that last level of the hack was completely fitting as a finale, in ways that are both good and bad. I feel like it was a good overall summary of what the hack did well and did poorly.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Everyone else already stated their opinion on this hack and mine more or less echoes theirs so :T

raolion is very kuwait death nay and I wish he appeared more often (I was catching up with the last few vids)

That ice level music sounds like Katsushika Rhapsody and that pleases me (I used to watch the European Spanish/Castilian dub of Kochikame when I was younger)

raocow's been saying 'testudo' a lot recently and I don't get it.
Go Go Poké Rangers~♪♫♪
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ah! After ten years I'm free! It's time to conquer the League!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The hack author really needs to consider using a multiple midway patch. That last level was more like a world in a level and a world with a single checkpoint at that.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Alice wrote:The hack author really needs to consider using a multiple midway patch. That last level was more like a world in a level and a world with a single checkpoint at that.
Just think: if Nintendo made that level in this day and age, they'd have taken out the boss AND the midpoint!

Anyway, yeah. Fun hack, but quality's all over the place, yadda-yadda... I'm mildly interested in the vanilla version, now, just to see how this guy's level design gets when he can't rely on chocolate inserts.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Rezanator

Post by Rezanator »

Leet wrote:that was a fantastical jokegate

reminds me of this one part in anodyne

by the way, yall, i just remembered that scarlet devil mario series had so many non-mario non-touhou references in them, so whats the difference between that and this HMMMMM????????? (exaggerated intrigue)
The first hack did not even had the SDM!

It would have been nice if this hack had included more pokemon music. Because it's not like there are not enough games and shows to get some tunes out of.
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

*double post- sorry!*
Last edited by benzeenie 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

Yikes wrote:raocow should have used an infinite lives cheat (C222-D4DD) for this one.
I agree- this is something that I do in the vast majority of hard/hard-ish hacks that I play and also something that has been mentioned several times to raocow and something that he's talked about a fair few times too- I seem to remember him saying that he wouldn't be opposed to the idea and even that he thought it was a good (and fair) idea for a lot of the harder hacks. I don't recall him ever doing so, or even toying with the idea for quite a while though.

Well! I really really enjoyed that! I've had the Vanilla version in my 'waiting to be played' hack folder for ages now, but doubt I'll bother after watching this whole LP.

I don't know why, but as of this morning, I'm unable to post youtube comments- in fact, the comments have only loaded on two out of about ten videos I've watched today. Weird.
I wanted to say that I really liked the Power Rangers music and also to ask-
what the

Code: Select all

Fine, I'll give you FOUR levels, but that's it. Hope you had fun!
part at the end of the video was all about. I'm confused!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I also failed to understand it myself
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

They are the 'sidepath' homestock/hella jeff levels
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

benzeenie wrote:also to ask-
what the

Code: Select all

Fine, I'll give you FOUR levels, but that's it. Hope you had fun!
part at the end of the video was all about. I'm confused!
Those were the directions to get to the hidden Homestuck levels, meaning those are supposed to be post-postgame. Not that that excuses them, but still.

EDIT: ninja'd
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

They were instructions on how to access the optional Homestuck/SB&HJ levels. (I.e.: "3-Castle Down" = When on the level space of the world three castle, press down and access the stair level.)

EDIT: Double Ninja heck yeah!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I gotta admit I would have posted that Everett True Homestuck edit already but I lost it when I changed my PC. And the only version I can find online is one where the 'Homestuck' of 'Now let me explain Homestuck' has been rendered in Comic Sans rather than emulating the original text. A truly grievous loss.

And I can't find the Youtub clip neither.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
dr_kraid wrote:Ah! After ten years I'm free! It's time to conquer the League!
Dammit, not yet, you have to wait until MaGLX is finished before you can do that.

Oh no, cutoff.
Ettlesby

Post by Ettlesby »

The only thing I have to say about this is "Go Go PokéRangers."

That's all I HAVE to say, but I'll say a bit more.

This hack looked like an interesting time. Some of it was clever and some of it was not so clever, but for the most part it was fun to watch.

Interesting to see all the references tied together like that, too. That Mewtwo, what a rapscallion.
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

raocow wrote:They are the 'sidepath' homestock/hella jeff levels
Ohhh! I seee! Those things... I don't really know what homestock/hella jeff is/are, but this hack kind of put me off finding out. Is it to do with Homestar Runner and Strong Bad- that site?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Truth be told, I was expecting the hack to only contain Pokemon references and average levels. Then those hidden levels really made me question myself on what I have to expect.

The ending was anti-climatic and sudden, compared to the entire level. Looks like we're moving forward to filler now.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

benzeenie wrote:
Ohhh! I seee! Those things... I don't really know what homestock/hella jeff is/are, but this hack kind of put me off finding out. Is it to do with Homestar Runner and Strong Bad- that site?
Homosuck is a webcomic kinda thing that was very popular and I can't remember what the author's name was but I think it was similar to the name of the author of Terraria.

Hella Jeff is a webcomic in a webcomic of Homosuck except it's not, it's by the same author, and it includes stylistic choices like copying an image, saving it as a .jpg in low quality to generate ALL the artifacts, then doing it over and over to make stuff look like crap in addition to using as bad of grammar and spelling as it can intentionally be while remaining somewhat legible. Honestly, there's some dedication in making it bad - it looks like MS Paint is used for drawing, but it can't save the images in the required bad quality or do some other filtery-looking things that make it look even worse than if it was just purely drawn in Paint, so another program is used for that.

The latter of those isn't really all that bad of a read, it's funny. The former I didn't really want to get into because of the cultiness.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Minnakht wrote:
benzeenie wrote:
Homosuck is a webcomic kinda thing that was very popular and I can't remember what the author's name was but I think it was similar to the name of the author of Terraria.

The former I didn't really want to get into because of the cultiness.
I'll do the explainings then.

Homestuck is a flash-based webcomic by Andrew Hussie about four kids who get sucked into a reality-warping video game and the multiverse spanning adventure they go on.

In the beginning, the actions of the characters were determined by the fanbase. Neat idea, but it means the beginning of the comic really drags with a lot of alternately stupid and funny shenanigans. As time went on the author dropped that aspect, and the story's flow was greatly improved, though he still includes nods to the fans' ideas a lot.

The comic itself is pretty enjoyable if you like the kind of humor it employs. I also think it's better written than people give it credit: its plot is extremely complex, but remarkably internally consistent and free of glaring plotholes. I find the characters (well, most of 'em) to be very interesting as well.

It's currently on an extended hiatus, which will end when Hussie has finished the rest of the story and uploads everything that's left in one gigantic update.

The fanbase on the other hand... hoo boy. Well, you saw some of its awfulness in this hack. This comic is, for better or worse, insanely popular. And, naturally, some of the fans take their love of this comic way the hell too far and have gained a reputation for being REALLY obnoxious.

And unfortunately some of this bleeds over into the comic. Hussie likes to deliberately troll his fans when he feels they're being stupid, so on occasion the comic takes a break from the actual plot and does some off-the-wall stuff to annoy those fans. These asides generally only make sense if you're familiar with the fan shenanigans that they're reacting to. Sometimes it's funny, and sometimes it's just annoying.

So that's my take on it: it's an interesting read and can be very fun, but there are a lot of obnoxious idiots in the fanbase.
Last edited by Dark Hunter 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

benzeenie wrote:
Yikes wrote:raocow should have used an infinite lives cheat (C222-D4DD) for this one.
There's no need to use infinite cheat code when you can find live farming spot. And almost every hacks have one somewhere, just find a place with a koopa shell and water and you go to 99 lives in two minutes.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

yogui wrote:
benzeenie wrote:
There's no need to use infinite cheat code when you can find live farming spot. And almost every hacks have one somewhere, just find a place with a koopa shell and water and you go to 99 lives in two minutes.
But why should I waste my time grinding lives in a risk-free environment when I can just input the GG code?
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Mewtwo used to take more hits. Requesting that raocow roll back his version of the hack and fight the frue final boss.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

The Doctor wrote:But why should I waste my time grinding lives in a risk-free environment when I can just input the GG code?
Because it's cheating, and some people don't like cheating even if it means taking more time for the same results.
Similar to how some people prefer to took their time to breed their pokemons and refuse to use pokegen to create their pokemon even if at the end both pokemons are considered "legit" and have the same IVs.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

yogui wrote:
The Doctor wrote:But why should I waste my time grinding lives in a risk-free environment when I can just input the GG code?
Because it's cheating, and some people don't like cheating even if it means taking more time for the same results.
Similar to how some people prefer to took their time to breed their pokemons and refuse to use pokegen to create their pokemon even if at the end both pokemons are considered "legit" and have the same IVs.
Apples and oranges, that is.