(shouting)

Last movie you watched?

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
dohz

Re: Last movie you vvatched?

Post by dohz »

Just finished watching Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (english dub).
“Hana is a 19-year-old student who falls in a “fairy-tale like” love with a “wolf man.” Over the course of the 13-year story Hana gives birth to two children - Yuki, and Ame, or “Snow and Rain.” At first the family quietly lives in the city trying to hide their wolf heritage, but Hana makes the decision to move to a rural town, far from their previous city life, in order to let her children grow up how they choose - as either human or wolf.”
Thoughts with indirect but general spoilers:
Loved the characters, how they were developed, the prevalent themes, the interesting irony, ah just go watch it. I just really like the story in general, especially with how real the characters felt in unreal circumstances. There was a bit of a lack of closure (loose threads and dropped subplots), but I can excuse those. It was overall pretty enjoyable.
Anyways, yeah, I’d recommend watching it.
(what sound does the mind make?)
(this, probably)
[/spoiler]
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Re: Last movie you watched?

Post by Super Llama »

I decided to take a break from commissions to watch Oldboy (the original,) only to realize that Oldboy is not the kind of movie you watch to take a break from something.

I suddenly regret ever speaking in high school.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Last movie I watched was 'A Christmas Story.'

I don't really watch any new movies because I'm boring.

Hell, I haven't even seen some classics, like the entire LoTR and such. I should get on that, although I've been watching more Game Grumps/television shows in the last while and that's been taking up my time.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

You should definitely get on LotR ASAP imo lol
ACRONYMS
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I watched Revolution OS. It was pretty interesting, albeit I wish it was a bit more current. It was made in 2001 I think, so it basically gave statistics of the growth of GNU, Linux, etc. from the beginning to when the documentary was made, but I'd like to see where that stuff is at now and what all of those peeps in the documentary are up to now.

I suppose I could Google but you know... EFFORT.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Saw Hobbit 2. While enjoyable, in places it feels like there's some padding here and there to stretch the series into a trilogy (not to mention Legolas right out of nowhere). The bit with the river was cool, even if it did feel like something out of a video game.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Just got back from watching Her.
I really liked it. It was definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Finally got around to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
Yeah I mean it's pretty awesome. Everything you'd ever want out of a Western movie. The acting was great, and some of the writing was just awesome. Great ending, and yeah, all around great movie.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I (re)watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind the other day. It's one of my favorite movies.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

The Lego Movie.

It has been a long, long time since I've laughed as consistently as I did through that movie. Just gag after gag after gag landing the mark. The score and general music was really cool and the animation was AMAZING. I was just smiling throughout the entire movie pretty much.

The only real point against it is that the characters were built kind of meh, but at the same time a large part of that was because it's supposed to be like the kind of characters and backstory kind of a stuff a kid would come up with so perhaps that's not valid...? *shrug*

It was interesting because when we came out of the theater my friend mentioned liking Wreck-It Ralph more and I came to the conclusion personally that The Lego Movie had better comedy (Since it focused almost entirely on that) whereas Wreck-It Ralph had better characters and general writing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I wouldn't like to agree with Minor Mare Man but it was pretty good, yeah. One of the Batman jokes in particular was the hardest I've ever laughed in the cinema (but then I've never been to the cinema very much, so maybe it doesn't mean anything).

Were the 3D effects any good? I saw it in 2D because I can't be arsed with the glasses.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I'm not a fan of 3D in the slightest so I saw it in 2D.
dr_kraid wrote:Minor Mare Man
I grinned.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The Mask of Zorro, which was on television about a month or so ago. Pretty good action movie.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

The Secret of Kells.

Absolutely AMAZING animation, pretty neat sound work too but DAMN. THAT STORY.

The story's just so much like, why? You needed a whole movie for... this?

Aaaaaaa I'm so conflicted since it really is a beautiful movie. Reminds me of Avatar honestly.

I also liked how it kind of had a very real feel to the characters and their conversations, kind of a Miyazaki-esque line of thinking where nothing is rushed and the conversations are really pleasant.

I am so very miffed that the plot doesn't hold up to how beautiful the animation is.
kneebob

Post by kneebob »

Truck Turner. It was pretty great. Isaac Hayes' onscreen badassery is matched only by his excellent soundtrack. It also features a memorable and jarringly edgy and performance by Nichelle Nichols. Give it a watch!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Just got back from Non-Stop. I enjoyed it but I can't say the same for my friends. I dunno. I didn't think it was amazing, but I like how it built some suspense instead of *pew pew explosions* all the time. They found it kinda of dull, but to each their own.

It was certainly better than Pompeii (which isn't saying much).
void
wow
First name: vic
Pronouns: they/he

Post by void »

so it turns out the Lego Movie is actually pretty good! even as being advertised and written for children, i genuinely enjoyed it and got a few good laughs out of it, and the animation is pretty impressive.
the thing between the main protagonist and the typical female love interest is pretty grating tho since it's really boring and predictable and dumb (i can't complain too much i guess, though), but i would otherwise recommend it!
:reimuko:
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Shepsmeister wrote: the thing between the main protagonist and the typical female love interest is pretty grating tho since it's really boring and predictable and dumb
This a million times.

It is so much a grating thing in general when studios feel EVERY story has to have a love story for whatever reason now, no matter how well done it is or if the movie even friggin' needs it.
Wildstyle is pretty cool in the first few minutes and then once Batman comes in it's like "Are you... are you really doing thi- Oh. Oh god. You are really doing this."
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Yeah ol' Wyly should have
stuck with Batman.
Because fuck your expectations.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I saw 'Non-Stop' the Liam Neeson movie yesterday.
I liked it. I'd probably watch it again sometime.
I felt everything kind of just fell into place at the end. Like, a bit too conveniently. I felt that the trailer showed too much too and ruined some of the suspense.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

GanonTEK wrote:I saw 'Non-Stop' the Liam Neeson movie yesterday.
I watched Taken last night with him. Also The Inedibles but he's not in that as far as I know.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I saw Fistful of Dollars, but it wasn't nearly as good as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
God, good, bad, ugly is so great.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I haven't seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly yet. I have seen A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more. The latter is easily the better of the two.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is soon on my watchlist though. I swear!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

When you see it you should tell me how it compares to For A Few Dollars More so I know whether to watch it.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Snakebite969 »

Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage