(shouting)

Talkhaus Sings - FiM Edition [We're singing Smile! SUBMIT.]

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Talkhaus Sings - FiM Edition [We're singing Smile! SUBMIT.]

Post by Bwarch »

EDIT: WE'RE SINGING SMILE, for full details go here!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14486&p=193968#p193968
Bwarch wrote:Mmmm. If there is enough interest I will consider putting something together and organizing it, I probably just won't participate in the singing part of it. Let's say if we have like, at least five people interested in singing a ponies song I'll put together a thread and oversee the thing.

I could handle the audio, I'd prefer to have somebody else handle the video though.
A deal's a deal, I see five people at least interested in singing.

If it's alright with everybody I'd prefer if we hold the poll through the thread itself rather than through the polling system.
[8:06:45 PM] TheGreekBrit: What's wrong with the polling system?
[8:07:59 PM] Bwarch: I just like the idea of making sure all votes are from people who actually care, as well as making sure no accounts are being made just to boost up a vote option.
You do not need to voice a vote/opinion in this thread if you've already stated it in the general FiM thread, I'll be counting those as well.

If you need a refresher on all the songs in FiM's history here's a handy dandy list:
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Songs

For those of you just joining us/confused on what the heck, a group of us Talkhausers are going to sing a song from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and we're voting on which song we'll do.

HUZZAH.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
BTYM

Re: Talkhaus Sings - FiM Edition [Voting period]

Post by BTYM »

why don't you post this in the fim thread that already exists
ImageImage
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Organization and ease. This is a specific event that is being set up that will have a LOT of posts dealing with it, hosting it in the general FiM thread would convolute things.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

I agree with alex, Smile and Crown are top picks.

Or, if we're really enthusiastic, we could parody "At The Gala". "At The Talkhaus" would be fun to do. :3
ImageImageImage
Fidget
accidentally from a different dimension
Pronouns: she/herself

Post by Fidget »

Ehhh I know I said I wasn't interested but now I'm reconsidering. I'm not totally sure if my setup/microphone/voice is good enough, so I'll see how that goes.
Not much opinion on the songs, except that I've never bothered to listen to Help Twi'n Crown *shields up* so I would say go with Smile if its between those two. I like the idea of At The Talkhaus too.
... Probably.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Fidget wrote:Ehhh I know I said I wasn't interested but now I'm reconsidering. I'm not totally sure if my setup/microphone/voice is good enough, so I'll see how that goes.
Not much opinion on the songs, except that I've never bothered to listen to Help Twi'n Crown *shields up* so I would say go with Smile if its between those two. I like the idea of At The Talkhaus too.
If you need to listen to a song just Youtube it mang!

As for microphone quality... eeeeeh, as a musician I would heavily prefer we get as professional setups as possible, but that's not going to happen. It is entirely unrealistic to expect people who are not musicians or content producers in general to have a decent mic for the sake of recording.

So don't worry about mic quality, just make sure there's no background noise, make sure you're not clipping the mic

Spoiler for what clipping the mic is because I know somebody will ask me
Clipping the mic refers to putting more sound into your mic than it can take with its current properties. It is also called going "into the red" since on musician software an audio bar will light up right when something is too loud. When clipping happens the sound distorts and clicks, audio people will notice when clipping happens.

To stop clipping from happening is pretty simple, if you're singing and your mic is clipping, just go into the options of whatever program you're recording with and set the gain of the mic a bit lower so that it takes in less volume.

As for telling when something is clipping this can be tricky depending on what you're recording with, so I shall simple let you know if your audio is clipping when I receive it.
and try and sing as well as possible. But don't worry too much about this! Talkhaus Sings is just for fun, after all, and is not meant to be hardcore American Idol Simon level cynicism.

Also also, I'd heavily prefer if we don't do parody lyrics.

Voting for This Day Aria btw.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Voting will continue for a few more days and then we'll get down to it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Smile Smile Smile.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

These, or True True Friend.
Smile Song would probably be my first choice though.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

In theory I'd like to participate, but on the other hand I can't stand the sound of my own voice or the idea of sharing it musically for the interwebs.

...so uh, I dunno.

I'd probably vote for Smile Smile Smile or True True Friend if I was though (if Helping Twilight Win The Crown is indeed that good, then I might possibly vote for it if I were to actually watch Equestria Girls sometime in the next couple days (since I'd prefer not to listen to a song before I've actually heard it in the show... well, you get the idea)).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Voting will end on Feb. 19th, probably as late as I feel like staying up to be as inclusive of timezone as possible.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

I vote for Love is in Bloom just to be different.

but i guess Helping Twilight Win the Crown would have to be my second choice
dashta

Post by dashta »

I think find the music in you would be really interesting, though maybe not the most feasible thing.
As for things I think we could actually do, the flim-flam song is one of my faves, and would be my pick, though I would not be sad if smile won it out in the end.
VV My Channel, shameless advertising FTW! VV
http://www.youtube.com/user/daeshta?feature=mhee
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm only doing this because Yonowaaru made me, blame him.
Money

Post by Money »

Putting another vote in for Smile Smile Smile
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Bwarch wrote: You do not need to voice a vote/opinion in this thread if you've already stated it in the general FiM thread, I'll be counting those as well.
Sigh.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Re: Talkhaus Sings - FiM Edition [We're singing Smile! SUBMI

Post by Bwarch »

WHOA HEY I MISSED MY OWN DEADLINE WOULDJA LOOKIT THAT.

Smile, Smile, Smile wins by a landslide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vjorjlon4 HD Song Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_i1oUiyRLI Vocals isolated if you want to get the exact tune easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOSulm9YRA This is mostly for me, myself and I. The instrumental track. But if it helps you out in some way, sure!
*NOW, READ CAREFULLY HERE, send your audio to me IN A PM.

*Make your audio recording a high quality file. Preferably either 320 MP3 or WAV.

*I am not persnickety about where you host your file for me to download, but dropbox or mediafire are recommended.

*Try and record cleanly! If you have fans or air conditioning units in the background of your mic track it won't be good, try and have a quiet space without background noises, be it construction or family or anything like that.

*NO CLIPPING. This is a little bit of a musician thing but basically if you sing too loudly with the gain up on your microphone it will cause distortion and clicks on the audio file. I will be checking your audio files myself to make sure they're not clipping, and if they are I'll help you out on how to have that not happen.
Deadline for submission is March 3rd.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

It is worth mentioning just from a quick look that although the fandom is usually REALLY good at getting instrumental tracks of the MLP songs without a trace of the vocal in this case it seems they faltered the tiniest bit. All the instrumental tracks I'm finding still have Pinkie Pie's backing vocals on them, so whether we want it or not we might be stuck with having a little bit of Pinkie in there.

Not that I'm complaining precisely.

I'll be looking around to see if there's any instrumentals without the backing vocal, but I somehow doubt I'll be able to find the Holy Grail in this case.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

IF I were to participate, how exactly does it all work (I'm not very familiar with Talkhaus Sings)? Are we all singing the whole song, or just parts (and how are the parts divvied up?)?

I'd only participate if I felt substantially brave and had a day where no one else was in the house to potentially hear me, but... I may as well know anyway.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Singing just parts is fine. Singing the whole thing is fine.

If at the end of the deadline we have pieces of the song missing I'll simply inform the thread of what we're missing and you guys can provide then.

Also, I suppose if you've never watched a Sings you should know how the actual video will go. Basically I'll be in charge of splicing together all of your vocal tracks, so one moment Swirly will be singing, and maybe the next Alex will be singing. And sometimes, if I can manage it, people will be singing together on the same part.
Fidget
accidentally from a different dimension
Pronouns: she/herself

Post by Fidget »

What "Pinkie" be replaced by at the parts where the singer references themself? "talkhaus," "we," our own names, leave as-is?
... Probably.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I agree with Alex.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Bwarch wrote:It is worth mentioning just from a quick look that although the fandom is usually REALLY good at getting instrumental tracks of the MLP songs without a trace of the vocal in this case it seems they faltered the tiniest bit. All the instrumental tracks I'm finding still have Pinkie Pie's backing vocals on them, so whether we want it or not we might be stuck with having a little bit of Pinkie in there.

Not that I'm complaining precisely.

I'll be looking around to see if there's any instrumentals without the backing vocal, but I somehow doubt I'll be able to find the Holy Grail in this case.
Thanks to Cup this problem has been rectified completely and totally!

All of what I was looking at was people trying to extract the instrumental from the original song and uploading basically a leaked instrumental but with backing vocals still in there. But Cup has brought my attention that Mando recreated the Smile instrumental in REALLY nice fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOSulm9YRA

This works perfectly for our purposes!
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Oh boy, finding a time when my floor is as empty as possible.
Wouldn't want to rupture too many eardrums with my shrieking.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Are we doing the part of the lyrics in parenthesis? I've been practicing with those.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Friendly reminder that you guys have five days until the deadline to get all your submissions in, March 3rd.

Good luck everybody.
ShySmile.png
ShySmile.png (157.8 KiB) Viewed 3530 times