(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
skyluigi2

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by skyluigi2 »

swirlybomb wrote:Also been playing some New Mario Bros U recently (also we got a Wii U for Christmas), and I'm legitimately enjoying it overall, though swimming levels are pretty much 100% terrible.
Ah, if you like that you should definitely consider New Super Luigi U... it's much more difficult but also really awesome.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Personally I'm put off by Luigi U, just watching Runaway Guys play it though.

It seems just too much more of the same. The hidden Luigi easter egg hunt is kind of a cool idea, and yes a little bit more difficult, but certainly not worth buying another game for.

Especially when they reused a whole ton of things for this, same graphics, same enemies, even the same map. With the physical edition for Luigi U costing 30$, I'd splurge a little bit more and just go for SM 3D World.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

We got a deluxe set thingy that came with both Mario Bros U and Luigi U, so yeah, I have that too.

Somehow played through three worlds of it with a cousin when they were visiting for the holidays, and hoo boy is it ever challenging!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

I'm trying (again) to 100% Yoshi's Island. I almost burst into tears of joy when I completed the poochy level in world 1.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Have fun with Kamek's Revenge. That was always the hardest level to me to do a 100% run on in that game.

With all the NES stuff I've been doing, I've kind of just fizzled out on Dragon Ball: Origins for a bit. I'm hoping I give myself some time to play that again soon since I was making good progress the last time I played.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

I've been on a Dr. Mario kick lately. I've also been playing a few indie games I picked up during the Steam sale, but none of them are really sticking out yet.
I'm probably driving right now.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Yep. My shitty SD Card adapter definitely deleted my Yoshi's Island save file.

Guess I'm not 100%ing it for some more months or years!!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Really enjoying dragon warrior iii to this point. I guess as a younger man I never really enjoyed the older style rpg that much.

Meanwhile I may end up playing final fantasy 7 someday, although I can't get by the fact that THEY LOOK LIKE LEGO PEOPLE. Anyone have a strategy to ignore this fact? It's way too easy to see that.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Watch out for those pointy bits!

I don't know about other people, but it's easy enough for me to say "eh it was made a long time ago" and then not think about it anymore. So I probably can't help you :v
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:Yep. My shitty SD Card adapter definitely deleted my Yoshi's Island save file.

Guess I'm not 100%ing it for some more months or years!!
I believe in you, you can do it.

hahahageez getting so used to having New Mario Bros' midair spin ability makes trying to play SMBX hilariously awkward when I keep forgetting that I obviously don't have it.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

I've been playing MMX and trying to get speedrunning tricks down, but I realized today that I should probably work on being able to beat Boomer Kuwanger buster-only before focusing on iceless and waterless... I also experimented with a different control scheme (R for dash and A for weapon swap right so that it is easier to charge+dash+jump), but it's really hard to break a >15 year habit so I gave up on that. Tip+right of knuckle+center/left of knuckle gets a little irritating after a while, but it's a pretty smooth motion (for me at least).

Also Pokemon and Find Mii/Puzzle Swap, but those are kind of constants. My main complaint about the latter two is that you can only earn 10 Play Coins a day. If I can take at least 10000 steps a day, I should be rewarded (besides, you know, being healthy and all that stuff. These steps don't do anything for me because I have to do them to get to/from class and I'm used to it).
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

swirlybomb wrote:

hahahageez getting so used to having New Mario Bros' midair spin ability makes trying to play SMBX hilariously awkward when I keep forgetting that I obviously don't have it.
I went from NSMB U into SM 3D World and I kept on messing up the flag poles horrendously because I kept on trying to spin :(
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Cat Suit, yo
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Of course, but I kept on losing it because perspective.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Hey guys I was playing Zelda II over the past few days
I beat it

It was pretty good

Yes
Pholtos wrote:Meanwhile I may end up playing final fantasy 7 someday, although I can't get by the fact that THEY LOOK LIKE LEGO PEOPLE. Anyone have a strategy to ignore this fact? It's way too easy to see that.
Oh hey I'm playing FF7 too
We have so much in common

I'm right before the boss battle with
Dyne
at the Corel Prison.
I actually beat him and got the buggy, but I forgot to save because I'm a moron.

My fave chars so far are Barret, Yuffie and Red XIII. Tifa is pretty cool too.

Yuffie has the cutest theme song goddamn

I want to play DQ3 (also Ys III but), but I'm already playing FF7, SaGa 3, and I've been ignoring KH1 for the past few weeks and I'd rather finish up one of those before starting up another one.

P.S. I kinda want to play some WRPGs too, but I don't know where to start.
♥Ruby Weapon x Cloud OTP♥
swirlybomb wrote:I don't know about other people, but it's easy enough for me to say "eh it was made a long time ago" and then not think about it anymore. So I probably can't help you :v
The pre-rendered backgrounds are pretty great though.

I think the Lego people are supposed to replicate the chibi sprites in FF1-6 (battle sprites in 1-5, OW and battle in VI).

Honestly, I don't care about graphics. Just gameplay.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

When it comes to ff7, the graphics are fine, I just missed that entire era of gaming, so I've never gotten used to the whole polygon characters.

WRPGs are like the elder scrolls and fallout games right? Perhaps Morrowind or Oblivion would be a good wrpg to start with.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I always loved the SNES and PS1 style of games with a few Genesis and N64 stuff mixed in. No surprise that I've gone on to love the DS and 3DS since they emulate my favorite generations in gaming. When the PS2 hit, I kind of started to see my favorite genres take a hit on the console side.

Okay, I'm back to Dragon Ball: Origins. I'm getting closer to the end now at Chapter 6-3. I think it goes to 8-4 and some post-game content. I like that some levels are long and all, but there are a couple that can overstay their welcome at the same time. I'm kind of the mindset to hurry and get this one finished.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I played and finished Super Star Wars for the SNES, and for the most part it was pretty good, there were some things that I disagree with though.

One thing is parts of the level design, there were moments where you basically have to blind jump down into nothing (mostly in the early game strangely). There was one particular jump inside the land-crawler where you jump on a platform that falls down straight into insta-death lava, right before the boss nonetheless. The game is hard for other reasons but that was a big factor that played into a lot of my deaths.

Another thing I didn't like were the vehicle sections, they were either finicky with controls or were just too difficult. The last two levels especially, since it basically gives you entirely different controls for each one, and the 1st of the two itself is just a challenge to figure out. I beat that stage just by flailing around and avoiding the large towers (which insta-death you). It didn't play very well and it kind put me off at the ending. I think the controls could had been done a tad better so that while the difficulty is still there you can at least control your vehicle at the same time.

Finally, the game itself does give you the option (for Luke) to use the light-saber to fight with, but the entirety of the game it feels it's much easier just to use the blaster. It's kind of a hilarious letdown since it's sweet fun just to attack with the light-saber, but the game is so hard that the blaster is the better of the two. Can I also say how difficult the Cantina boss in this game is incredibly difficult and probably the hardest part in this game? Hard as dicks yo.

Although, despite it's flaws, I really liked the game. the option to choose your character, the health sword gimmick, the way your blaster works, and all the other levels were really fun with the blaster and it was good challenge. Up next I'll play the other two.

I also finished Link Between Worlds yesterday and started Hero mode. It feels like an entirely different game when you know where everything is/the rise in difficulty.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

All this talk about the experimental era of gaming made me suddenly think about mario 64 and how it's really not as good as a lot of people say.
What it did: Bring mario games into the 3D world. Be one of the first of it's kind in terms of 3D platforming.
What it's not: That interesting, Good Control-wise, Good Camera-wise.
This is coming from a guy who missed the entire experimental age of gaming.

I think of video games in terms of 3 ages. The age of limitations (snes and below, back when games had true limitations in terms of what could and couldn't be done.), the experimental age (n64, ps1, others of this time. Where games tried their best to come into the 3D world, where a lot of these haven't aged well in my eyes.), and the current age which focuses more on repetition and free expression, as well as in quite a few cases caring more about improved graphics than quality and challenge (Where games like CoD are made where they rehash, along with the wave of indie game developers.

I wonder if my view of the ages makes sense to everyone, or if I'm off in some sense.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I "beat" Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 100%. By which I mean I got tired of trying to look for the last few gaps and looked up where they were. Turns out half of them were stupidly obscure and the other half were blatantly misnamed. And also all the minigames are both terrible and required. Good times. Remind me to never do that again.

So after getting tired of one skateboarding game the only sensible thing to do is start playing Tony Hawk's Underground. Everything is way harder than I remembered it being on the highest difficulty (probably because last time I played any PS2 Tony Hawk game I was like 10 years old and went full-on cheat-code-mode on every game ever) and I kinda forgot how great the good part of the soundtrack is. Not sure how much of a slog the gaps are going to be once I start looking for them more thoroughly, but so far I've been having a lot more fun with this than 4.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Get back to me when you try to get all of the Manhatten gaps. The naming sense in this game is quite... meh.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Underground was definitely better than 4. That fourth one never felt right to me after 2 and 3.

Anyway, I started NES Remix on the Wii U. It's basically all those NES games but with WarioWare-styled challenges. It works pretty well for a good quick hit kind of game, but there's a decent amount of content from what I can tell.

Edit: Oh, I also finished off the main game of Dragon Ball: Origins. I'll try to go through more of the post-game side missions before shelving this one.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Games Beaten in 2014

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:COMPLETED FOR THE FIRST TIME:
1. To the Moon (I'm pretty sure I literally beat this minutes after the new years started)
Just gotta say that is almost a perfect, albeit bittersweet, way to ring in a new year.
skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

I've been playing NES Remix too and while the Remix stages are obviously the best part, playing through small sections of old NES games is pretty fun. Makes me wonder if we'll see a SNES Remix in the future...
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I haven't played any 2hu in a long time now, so I took Subterranean Animism for a ride, since I remembered that I really liked that one for some reason.

I made it to Utsuho's last spellcard (Hell's Subterranean Sun) on normal with no lives left before accidentally hitting a bullet in the first few seconds of it and getting a game over.

ReimuA's gaping ability is the cheapest thing btw
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Still going on Nightmare of Rebellion. Still raging at bosses. Muu Monnyan has earned a special place in hell for continuously putting people to sleep and spamming horribly powerful spells. Arare Yukitsuki has earned a similar place for healing herself randomly, which only stretches limited resources even further than they are meant to be stretched. At least they're beaten, but man, they're tough!
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!