(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Luiginary Void

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
CM30

Re: Mario & Luigi: Luiginary Void

Post by CM30 »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:See the problem with that is I'm not going to play this game for probably years and years.
That's your loss then.

Same with anyone who complains about Zelda game difficulty but never then tries Hero Mode.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

I still think they should just put a difficulty setting at the beginning of the game when you're making a file. Nintendo's whole thing about making the game harder AFTER you play it hasn't really made much sense to me??
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

CM30 wrote:Same with anyone who complains about Zelda game difficulty but never then tries Hero Mode.
The reward for beating an easy game shouldn't be the ability to replay the game at a reasonable difficulty level. I kind of agree with BeatBoxingBoo - there's no reason why they can't give you an easy/medium/hard option at the start. It worked beautifully in the Metroid Prime series and it would work just as well or even better in this series.

...as for the game itself, I finally bought it the other day and got up to Mount Pajamaja last night. My initial thoughts (in no particular order):

+Loving the length of the areas.
+Awesome music.
-Some of the "Rank Up" abilities kind of trivialize bosses (the Jump/Hammer booster).
-I would have liked to see a little more variety from the "Expert Challenges". They're a cool idea, but it pretty much boils down to the same 2-3 challenges spanned across the game.
QuantumPhysicsMan

Post by QuantumPhysicsMan »

I should probably get around to finishing this game at some point. I made it to the top of Mount Pajamaja before I just kind of stopped.

I also really don't like the "Dodge Ten Attacks in a Row" challenges. I hate having to resort to save scumming to beat them.
Warning: It is now too late to not read my signature.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Man, I was under the impression that Dream Team was substantially harder than the past M&L games to begin with? And having struggled somewhat against the Bowser boss available in the demo version, I'm willing to believe it.

I have yet to open the game myself because of RL pressures and only wanting to play one game at a time if possible, so...
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

I haven't actually gotten incredibly far in PiT, but I remember having a ton of trouble in the endgame of Superstar Saga.

Also, I'm using the Expert + Risk badge combo, the effect of which gives everyone a 50% chance to be instantly killed! This should be fun!!
CM30

Post by CM30 »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:I haven't actually gotten incredibly far in PiT, but I remember having a ton of trouble in the endgame of Superstar Saga.

Also, I'm using the Expert + Risk badge combo, the effect of which gives everyone a 50% chance to be instantly killed! This should be fun!!
The only real difficult bit of Partners in Time is the final boss, and that's only because you get about 3 bosses (and if you're unlucky, also a mini game section) in a row without saving.

It also feels more like a 3D Mario platformer in terms of gameplay than an RPG, simply because the areas are ridiculously linear, sidequests non existent and areas accessed through a hub area rather than a map or free roaming overworld.
The reward for beating an easy game shouldn't be the ability to replay the game at a reasonable difficulty level. I kind of agree with BeatBoxingBoo - there's no reason why they can't give you an easy/medium/hard option at the start. It worked beautifully in the Metroid Prime series and it would work just as well or even better in this series.
Well yes, I don't disagree with that. I just think that if you think this game is too easy, you should try Hard Mode and very quickly regret your previous opinion.
-Some of the "Rank Up" abilities kind of trivialize bosses (the Jump/Hammer booster).
As for that, that's just the early/midgame. When you reach the later areas, you'll really notice why they give you these rank up abilities.

And you'll hate the fact the later giant battles aren't affected by abilities, gear, stats or items.

The real game breaker are gonna be the badges though. Seriously, if you get bored and want to completely trivialise everything, go and buy the Gold and Miracle badges once you've beaten Driftwood Shore and equip them. You'll realise why by the next boss battle.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Yep. Dream Team definitely just froze. Even though it's digitally downloaded.

EDIT: Wait, it's proceeding frame by frame, every few seconds. Maybe it's just a REALLY DRAMATIC SLOW MOTION SEQUENCE
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

God it fucking glitched again. This time, it's like, playing this hammering sound over and over forever.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

From what I hear, that's a pretty common problem with eShop versions of Nintendo games. Various glitches that weren't present in the retail ones.

However, there is that patch you can download to fix some of these, have you tried it?
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Did anyone else have issues with the tilt control segments of the
zeekeeper fight
CM30

Post by CM30 »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:Did anyone else have issues with the tilt control segments of the
zeekeeper fight
Yeah, I definitely did. Still do actually. It's why I posted this article about it:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoart ... dream-team

And that video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCL5Tn74GYI

It's common enough that Mario Wiki and others note it as a common glitch, and it's seen as one of the most annoying parts of the game too.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Here I was, thinking "oh man the giant bowser fight is easily the best part of the game. this is so cool!"

then it told me to get ready to tilt and i literally screamed "NO" and then i died and now i'm freaking mad and i'm going to leave this game with a sour feeling because of a giltch
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:
MoneyMan wrote:I'm assuming that the fountain was streaming Mr. Saturn coffee.
That's exactly what I thought of too, haha. I wonder if that was intentional.
Coming off of Earthbound, this is what I thought as well. There are actually two different scenarios that get randomly picked!
QuantumPhysicsMan wrote:I should probably get around to finishing this game at some point. I made it to the top of Mount Pajamaja before I just kind of stopped.
I also really don't like the "Dodge Ten Attacks in a Row" challenges. I hate having to resort to save scumming to beat them.
Those Boo Cookies really help out with the Dodge Ten challenges. Three enemy attack cycles in a row, and you don't get damaged if you get hit.

This was one of my favorite games. Just as good as the original in my opinion (I haven't played the other two). I played a bit through hard mode (yikes), but I've set it down for now. I'll pick it back up closer to my birth month of June, so I'll be able to use the Birthday Gear closer to the end of the game :twisted:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
QuantumPhysicsMan

Post by QuantumPhysicsMan »

Sebby19 wrote:
QuantumPhysicsMan wrote:I also really don't like the "Dodge Ten Attacks in a Row" challenges. I hate having to resort to save scumming to beat them.
Those Boo Cookies really help out with the Dodge Ten challenges. Three enemy attack cycles in a row, and you don't get damaged if you get hit.
Yeah, but getting hit still restarts the counter. Save scumming lets you try again while still at 7/10 done.

Also, all of Luigi's stats are now higher than Mario's, except for speed. I seem to be really terrible at the roulette for Mario.
Warning: It is now too late to not read my signature.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

QuantumPhysicsMan wrote: Yeah, but getting hit still restarts the counter. Save scumming lets you try again while still at 7/10 done.

Also, all of Luigi's stats are now higher than Mario's, except for speed. I seem to be really terrible at the roulette for Mario.
I guess it can be frustrating going through 10 cookies if you're have dumb luck, but at least you get really good at dodging in the long run.

I can't remember what enemy was most annoying to dodge for me. I think the desert had a couple that took me awhile.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Ranted about the final boss to my friend in Steam so I'm gonna put the chat in a spoiler
11:09 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: i'm legitimately angry right now
11:09 PM - Flicky: why
11:09 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: i'm on the very last fight of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
11:09 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: and it's like
11:10 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: the entire game, my only complaint was that it was too easy
11:10 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: now i know where they put literally ALL the difficulty into!
11:10 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: because i have been on this fight
11:10 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: have not actually LOST, mind you
11:10 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: for over an hour
11:11 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: like
11:11 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: this is legitimately poor game design
11:11 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: and frankly i'm surprised
11:12 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: i don't knwo what to do at this point
11:12 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: i'm going to finish the game later tonight and i'm jsut going to be mad
11:13 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: and that really sucks, i don't want to leave the game like that
11:13 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: but
11:13 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: !!
11:13 PM - BeatBoxingBoo: especially not for a series i've held so dear for so long
EDIT: NOW i lost so yeah i'm done for however long it takes for me to get motivated to try this again/have enough free time to try this again
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The final boss? I don't remember that one being too bad, although the damage racks up quickly. Wait, which fight are we talking about here just to make sure?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Wait, what? I just had to Google the final boss because I found it so immemorable.
Yeah, I had no issues with that boss. Did you just upgrade your health the whole game or what?
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

When I get his right arm down, I can deal like 600 damage per turn but he just heals like all of it back when he summons his minions. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I throw everything I've got at him and his minions, though.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Okay then. Click the spoiler box for a quick guide.
You should be going full-on with the Bro Attacks in this battle. Zee Egg (if you rescued all the Pi'ilo people) or Bomb Derby works well at the start. Luigi's pretty much Mr. Slingsniper. When Bowser summons his friends that will help heal him, use either Zee Egg or Dropchopper to dispose of them. It's a pretty good idea to have your badges filled up before you go into this one, preferably ones that will heal you greatly.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

He just blocks Bomb Derby and I could easily do a lot more damage with Star Shooter rather than Slingsniper. But thanks I'll keep trying whenever I have motivation

EDIT: There I won jeez. Maybe I was just getting really unlucky the first couple times with how often he would summon minions.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Probably. Those last couple of normal bosses really deal damage! Glad you beat the game, and it's a bummer that had to happen to you right at the end.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Meh, if anyone's having trouble with the final boss, just come in with between two and four Gold/Miracle badge slots saved up, then freeze time until he's dead.

That worked for me when I got bored with the length of the battle and didn't want to bother with things like dodging. The badge effect is so overpowered he goes down in about 10 minutes.