(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Twitter: The Thread

Post by Bean »

Tried recording commentary on my latest video, but it's just not going to work. I'm still sounding too out of it. Text boxes over a sports game video. Hmm...
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

kilon wrote:
raocow wrote:It seems fitting to talkhaus that it ended in just kind of deflating.
It's not strangely fitting, it's creepingly good fitting.
Looks like we found ourselves our motto.
talkhaus
just kinda deflating
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

vote to replace the "talkhaus let there be speech!" at the top with that
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Horikawa Otane wrote:why does food have so many calories?
Just depends on what kind you eat and what you do to try and burn said calories off. They don't mean as much if you can keep active!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

... I don't think those few calories is actually healthy but I'm willing to be wrong on it. Isn't the average healthy intake for a person supposed to be 2800?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

They use metric calories in Japan.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Bean wrote:
Just depends on what kind you eat and what you do to try and burn said calories off. They don't mean as much if you can keep active!
Oh, well I work out several times a week with a personal trainer. But currently I'm trying to whittle my diet down to about 800-1000 calores a day and it's difficult. Bleh.
I'm having trouble imagining eating that little. There was a week in Basic Military Training were I ate three of these guys a day. Not counting the stuff I could get by being in the vicinity of short females who didn't eat everything, that is about 3600 calories a day. That was the one week I was always hungry.

I eat less nowadays.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Bean wrote:
Oh, well I work out several times a week with a personal trainer. But currently I'm trying to whittle my diet down to about 800-1000 calores a day and it's difficult. Bleh.
The easiest way to start is to cut out all sugar completely (since you don't need it) and to heavily limit everything that's basically made out of fat (e.g. cooking oils, butter, nuts, the fatty parts of animals). It's pretty much impossible to cut out fat and you shouldn't anyway because your body needs some, but you can avoid anything that uses it heavily. For example, cooking oil is used in a lot of things but only sticks to the food itself in large amounts in fried (especially deep-fried) food. So cut back on that. And heavily processed meat tends to use the fatty parts or otherwise calorie-dense parts (like organs) much much more than unprocessed meat. And nuts are good in small amounts but if you're eating them all the time that's bad.

You're into Japan, so I figure you're into Japanese food. You could stick with that, although maybe that's too expensive (it's certainly expensive here). Still, there's a reason Japan has the lowest obesity rate in the OECD. Fish is protein-dense for not many calories.
Bwarch wrote:... I don't think those few calories is actually healthy but I'm willing to be wrong on it. Isn't the average healthy intake for a person supposed to be 2800?
Depends on your lean mass (more lean mass = more calories needed) and women tend to have less lean mass than men. On the other hand, women suffer more negative health consequences than men do for reaching very low bodyfat percentages. That being said, however, no-one reaches a level that low without a lot of effort and/or drugs. Besides, the recommended calorie level in the US (and, indeed, most countries) is inflated above what it should be thanks to the food lobby.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Oh, well I work out several times a week with a personal trainer. But currently I'm trying to whittle my diet down to about 800-1000 calories a day and it's difficult. Bleh.
That sounds awfully low since I don't think that would give your body the energy to actually do what it's supposed to do for you. Obviously, substituting in something like a deli sandwich or salad is better than peanut butter or a slice or two of pizza. I'd just recommend not to go overboard.

Just for my body's sake, I'm usually around 1600-2000 calories or so a day since I'll go silly with anywhere from 200-400 daily sit-ups (lately 200) while working out with weights (and now shoveling snow) or the exercise bike a few times a week. It's kind of been thrown off kilter for me with this dang illness that just keeps lingering about, but that's what works for me.

Edit: To add to your last post, those calories can be shaped into muscle or at least toned if you eat properly. With you on the low end of the diet, you might not have the energy to do that, though, so just be careful on that is all I'll say.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Oh yeah, Japanese food is definitely too expensive for me to live off too.
Bean wrote:Edit: To add to your last post, those calories can be shaped into muscle or at least toned if you eat properly. With you on the low end of the diet, you might not have the energy to do that, though, so just be careful on that is all I'll say.
Only a limited amount though. Once you exceed that amount the rest is just going to become bodyfat regardless. Also, most people won't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time except for the first few months of resistance training. Also, it's much harder for women anyway, since testosterone boosts muscle growth but estrogen hinders it.

Tiredness also depends on the food you're eating, not just the calorific quantity. When I first started eating healthily I felt a lot more energetic and less tired despite eating quite a few less calories.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Whereas the rest of the country is likely suffering from perpetual frostbite, we here in southern Arizona (And southern Florida and California too but who cares about them) are doing just dandy.

http://i.imgur.com/9iH6HDG.jpg

You can almost feel the perfect temperature emanating from the picture.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

I'm getting all types of weather in Georgia. Wish it would at least stay consistent.
That crazy voice dude
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I had to fill my gas at 8 in the morning in -50 so that was fun.
Also the fact that it's dark outside until like 9-10 o'clock and gets dark again at 6 makes everything a lot more depressing.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:
Aposke wrote:
talkhaus
just kinda deflating
vote to replace the "talkhaus let there be speech!" at the top with that
That would be super awesometastic.
rao, can we do that?
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Bwarch wrote:Whereas the rest of the country is likely suffering from perpetual frostbite, we here in southern Arizona (And southern Florida and California too but who cares about them) are doing just dandy.

http://i.imgur.com/9iH6HDG.jpg

You can almost feel the perfect temperature emanating from the picture.
I've lived in several cities for large periods of time, but it's always been somewhere hilly, near a body of water. It's disorienting for me to even look at a picture of a city that flat. When I spent a week in Pheonix a few years ago, I got dizzy walking outside if I looked more than a block into the distance. I swear, humans weren't meant to live in a place so freaking featureless.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Haha, that's weird to hear about the disorientation! For sure that's southern Arizona in a nutshell though, featureless and flat as all get out.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I suggest never living in Florida. Apparently the whole state is fairly flat.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Pholtos wrote:I suggest never living in Florida. Apparently the whole state is fairly flat.
And old people
That crazy voice dude
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Ditocoaf wrote:Pheonix
Also,
*Phoenix.

It doesn't make any sense to me either ;D
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Splurged on $5 MP3 albums on sale at Amazon this morning. There's too much good stuff on sale right now, I couldn't stop myself!
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Went to some mini golf with my cousin and brothers tonight: it was... interesting to say the least. 45, 48, 53, and 58 was the score: guess what score I got?
58, all because put too much power and technically hit the ball around 4 times, two on the same hole.
Also, does anyone know anything about "Dippin' Dots"?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

jayScribble wrote:Went to some mini golf with my cousin and brothers tonight: it was... interesting to say the least. 45, 48, 53, and 58 was the score: guess what score I got?
58, all because put too much power and technically hit the ball around 4 times, two on the same hole.
Also, does anyone know anything about "Dippin' Dots"?
I love banana split Dippin Dots
That crazy voice dude
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:
jayScribble wrote:Also, does anyone know anything about "Dippin' Dots"?
I love banana split Dippin Dots
For me at the time, it was either the rainbow something or the banana split: I chose the latter. Those things stick to my tongue hard before melting.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
PichuVSLink

Post by PichuVSLink »

Weekend, hooray!
Now that I have some more free time for a couple days, I'm going to spend it playing video games.
Also my school's "Earth Summit" thing is coming up real soon, next thursday. It's basically where a group of three or four people in a class are given a city, and you have to create a campaign for that city. We've already done notes and the written bid, all we have to do is finish and practice our speech/presentation. I hope mine goes smoothly.
patchoulis obtained

"graphics: 9/10, come on, it's CUSTOM!" -smwc hack review
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Note to self remember to pay power bill
That crazy voice dude