(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: request grab-bag

Post by SAJewers »

The Doctor wrote:Super "Mario" World 2 is fun if you're looking for more Mario. It's a well made hack with a good difficulty curve and awesome custom graphics.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=6043
I believe this was suggested earlier in the year, and lost out in a vote to 3k Leagues.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
CM30

Post by CM30 »

SAJewers wrote:
The Doctor wrote:Super "Mario" World 2 is fun if you're looking for more Mario. It's a well made hack with a good difficulty curve and awesome custom graphics.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=6043
I believe this was suggested earlier in the year, and lost out in a vote to 3k Leagues.
Well maybe it'll be a good choice now. Let's see if raocow is listening and wants to try the game.

Besides. it's not like much else has been released as far as hacks/fan games goes, at least not that's decent (or a full game).
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, S"M"W2 should be a good choice. The author is a pretty decent level designer from what I remember so I can't imagine he'd design anything over-the-top horrible.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Having played it (albit some time ago), the only complaints I have is one of the bosses near the end, and the Crystal Abyss level having a red dot on the OW, bot no apparent secret exit (I can't find any).
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

SAJewers wrote:Having played it (albit some time ago), the only complaints I have is one of the bosses near the end, and the Crystal Abyss level having a red dot on the OW, bot no apparent secret exit (I can't find any).
I just quickly checked my save file, and there's a secret exit for Crystal Abyss. It's not a bug. Unfortunately, it's been a year since I've played the game, so I don't remember the exit.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

So, this neat little game literally just came out. http://store.steampowered.com/app/267360/

It's Muri, made by Daniel Remar, the guy who made Iji, Hero Core, and Hyper Princess Pitch. It's also in the style of oldschool DOS games. Less Jill of The Jungle, and more Duke Nuken 1&2 and early Commander Keen. It's a pretty short game, and it's only 4 dollars so it might be worth a look.

The invitation is also extended to aterraformer, if he ever needs something to do when he gets angry at romhacks.

You know what? Anyone who thinks they might enjoy this game, go out and buy it. It has trading cards, if that sort of thing interests you.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

strongbadman wrote:So, this neat little game literally just came out. http://store.steampowered.com/app/267360/

It's Muri, made by Daniel Remar, the guy who made Iji, Hero Core, and Hyper Princess Pitch. It's also in the style of oldschool DOS games. Less Jill of The Jungle, and more Duke Nuken 1&2 and early Commander Keen. It's a pretty short game, and it's only 4 dollars so it might be worth a look.

The invitation is also extended to aterraformer, if he ever needs something to do when he gets angry at romhacks.

You know what? Anyone who thinks they might enjoy this game, go out and buy it. It has trading cards, if that sort of thing interests you.
This seems really cool actually. I typically don't like games that try to have a retro style, but doesn't go completely through with it. Does that make sense? This seems really authentic in it's recreation of that DOS feeling, and I think that raocow should play it. Maybe get a little bit of Commander Keen nostalgia going on.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

The Doctor wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Having played it (albit some time ago), the only complaints I have is one of the bosses near the end, and the Crystal Abyss level having a red dot on the OW, bot no apparent secret exit (I can't find any).
I just quickly checked my save file, and there's a secret exit for Crystal Abyss. It's not a bug. Unfortunately, it's been a year since I've played the game, so I don't remember the exit.
Welp, I've never been able to find any secret exit.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

raocow PALY THIS EET EESH IMPURTANT!
http://findtheinvisiblecow.com/
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

May I suggest "Typical Mario game?"

I would love to see raocow play this. It's like the title says... "typical." Or is it?

http://snmfgg.weebly.com/typical-mario-game.html

Download:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106539740/Typical%20Normal.zip

Screenshots:
I'd post more, but spoilers.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Since you've never played Symphony of the night why not give that a try?
That crazy voice dude
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:Since you've never played Symphony of the night why not give that a try?
Totally agreeing
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow should play Kerbal Space Program. Can you imagine the carnage?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:Since you've never played Symphony of the night why not give that a try?
Has Playstation emulation got any less buttocks?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

As somebody who has not really experimented but knows the scene because of a friend: It has gotten significantly less bollocks in all likelihood.

The emulation scene is kind of insane I find.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I.. would actually be curious about that.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

AUS wrote:
alex2 wrote:Why am I being brought into this
S.N.N. wrote:or hack 2 w/e works
Do this or I'll leave forever
minesweeper sounds easier, wait what's hack 2.
Oh.
That's hack 2.

no
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

PS1 emulation seems to have gotten to the point where it can do the vast majority of games fairly accurately but not perfectly (think ZSNES). There are plugins that can replicate games perfectly but they require a solidly good computer. I tried them out for my LP but running the game with them and Camtasia active could only get me 10-15 FPS with no upscaling at all and with Intel's new overclocking thing active. I'd stick with ZSNES-level accuracy.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

dr_kraid wrote:raocow should play Kerbal Space Program. Can you imagine the carnage?
I support this.

Might do it myself. It is a paid game, and I already paid for it.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

alex2 wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:There are plugins that can replicate games perfectly
No sir. There isn't a single emulator to date--for any system--that emulates its original hardware perfectly.
Ok, the semblance of perfection, in that if you compared an emulated screenshot to a real screenshot the graphics would be indistinguishable, it being a graphics plugin. This is as opposed to the other graphics plugins which sometimes have slightly different colours or pop in oddly or other things like that.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The GPU is where differences from the original system will become immediately obvious though. Well, that and sound. Most people (i.e. everyone who isn't TASing) isn't going to notice if the processor behaves slightly differently so long as the game seems to play normally and the graphics and sound resemble the original, and that plugin that I mentioned is graphically indistinguishable (to me at least) from playing on the original hardware.

Anyway, as I believe the question that led to this discussion is "can I emulate Symphony of the Night fine?" the answer is yes.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

How about Soul Anchor 2? It's basically Touhou meets Bionic Commando, but with more maneuverability and emphasis on chaining your grapples without touching the ground.

Also, I've played Symphony of the Night on ePSXe and it seems to run pretty well except for an easily fixable glitch revolving around the shop text.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Commercial games accepted? Alright! Call of Duty Black Ops! (Is that even still newest anymore?)
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the newest, Black Ops II coming before that.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

aterraformer wrote:Commercial games accepted? Alright! Call of Duty Black Ops! (Is that even still newest anymore?)
he kinda said no triple A titles
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch