(shouting)

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: NO ITEMS, FINAL DES--PRESENTATION!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: NO ITEMS, FINAL DES--PRESENTATION!

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Because the last one got Meteor Smashed into oblivion.

So Marth's confirmed as returning today, and I'm guessing that if Ike doesn't tag along, another Fire Emblem character (Hector?) will. Alternatively, and more relevantly because of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, I honestly think they might just squeeze in one more guest fighter from the SMT-verse. Persona 4 protagonist, perhaps?

In any case, let's get this topic back on the ball!

E: Before I forget, Here's the official site.

E2: And some more links, courtesy of Bwarch:
Smash Bros Reddit
Miiverse image and captions collection (for those who for some reason don't like using Miiverse that much)

E3: The Smash Bros U 50-Fact Extravaganza is now on Nintendo's YouTube Channel! You know, just in case the 3DS version was underwhelming.

Also, found this the other day: The Smash Bros. Miiverse Fansite. Essentially like the Imgur collection, but with some details about the game as well.
Last edited by Joseph Staleknight 8 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: WARNING! NEW THREAD APPROACHING!

Post by pholtos »

Still waiting for a Golden Sun character to be added...
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

So hey I saw this thing about cutscenes not returning in the new Smash

Somebody come forward and link a thing disproving this, proving it as false, linking a tweet by the creator, anything, PLEASE. My favorite part about Brawl was seeing the characters interact in the cutscenes..

And seeing that disappear would make me a sad changeling panda indeed.
dohz

Re: Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS: WARNING! NEW THREAD APPROACHING!

Post by dohz »

Oh, hey, this thread respawned came back.

So Marth’s back, eh? Wasn’t he, back in Brawl, actually never seen in countries besides Japan until then? I vaguely remember his taunt being…incomprehensible…to me anyways. I never did get a hang of his move set.

Man, I’m a bit conflicted about cutscenes. For one thing, I know that they’re generally frowned upon (for taking away from the actual playing), but I’ve always got an odd kick out of them. But yeah, it’d be nice if they kept a story mode. I kinda enjoyed Subspace Emissary.

Is Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U the official name? I was sorta hoping they’d keep the “synonym for ‘fight’” pattern. I suppose it’s not that much of an issue, but eh.
(what sound does the mind make?)
(this, probably)
[/spoiler]
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Melee was Marth's first appearance outside of Japan.

The reason they're cutting the cutscenes along with a story mode is because they don't have infinite development time and it would be better spent making the mode that everyone plays (multiplayer) function better or just generally releasing the game earlier.
Joseph Staleknight

Interesting. From the news I read, Sakurai ditched the story mode because he really didn't take people uploading Subspace Emissary's cutscenes on Youtube well. Of course, that's not to say development time isn't also an issue, but the former's what I keep hearing more often. Granted, he could have cut the story mode for Brawl, but I guess back then he underestimated how much people would want to share their gaming experiences.

Anyway, I also read that players could actually customize characters and their performance to some extent. I can only hope they make it balanced; I really don't want to fight against an overpowered and over-taunting Pit. (God I hate his taunts)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Joseph Staleknight wrote:Interesting. From the news I read, Sakurai ditched the story mode because he really didn't take people uploading Subspace Emissary's cutscenes on Youtube well. Of course, that's not to say development time isn't also an issue, but the former's what I keep hearing more often. Granted, he could have cut the story mode for Brawl, but I guess back then he underestimated how much people would want to share their gaming experiences.

Anyway, I also read that players could actually customize characters and their performance to some extent. I can only hope they make it balanced; I really don't want to fight against an overpowered and over-taunting Pit. (God I hate his taunts)
Actually I do remember reading that. I prefer my explanation though because that explanation makes Sakurai seem like a whingeing self-entitled idiot obsessed with his own "creativity", and Nintendo doesn't need another one of them. Aonuma & Sakamoto are too much already.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Oooooh pretty stage

ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Not sure if it was mentioned before the Great Talkhaustrophe but Sakurai uploads a picture from SSB4 every single day on Miiverse.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/ < Cool source of Smash news and gifs of moves and whatnot
http://imgur.com/a/8KnTr#0 A collection of all the pictures Sakurai has posted to Miiverse.

Super cool to see a Galaxy stage. Not one of my favorites of course, but I already got a Sunshine level in Brawl so I'm good haha. Galaxy lovers get some love now~
Joseph Staleknight

Oh hey, a stage where gravity doesn't always go straight down. If they contain the whole circumference of the planet (or perhaps multiple planets with that gravity mechanic), I'm sold!

Also, I should probably put those links in the OP. Thanks, Bwarch!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Obviously stoked to see both Mega Man and Sonic in this. I'm curious to see if and how many more new challengers there will be as this gets closer and closer to release.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I've always thought a stage based on Mario Galaxy would be cool. It just occurred to me though that it'd be a lot harder to predict thrown item trajectories when gravity varies across the stage. Since that's usually the part of the games I'm best at doing, that kind of puts a spanner in the works, but on the other hand it'll be harder for other people to dodge said items. In any case it'll be worth it because it's such a cool idea.
Joseph Staleknight

BUMP

Rosalina and Luma have been confirmed as newcomers today: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/rosetta.html

I figured they'd show up if there was a Super Mario Galaxy stage, but I didn't expect them to work together as a team. That's going to make for some interesting matches.
dohz

Re: Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U; WARNING! NEW THREAD APPROACHING!

Post by dohz »

Woahoahoah.

No idea how they’ll integrate her, but I’m already a bit of a big fan of Rosalina. This ought to be interesting. Also, Luma! I’d’ve expected her Luma to be Polaris, or at least that cream-colored one that traveled with Mario, but details. man i’m excited

e: Oh, the Luma can change color.

ee: DID IT JUST POP‽
(this, probably)
[/spoiler]
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

im pretty intresting what kind of attacks Rosalina & Luma getting to have.... Seems like of a heck Combo-Killer
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

How can they keep on making character trailers this beautiful and awesome and honestly not be putting any cutscenes in the game ;;

I'm still a little suspect if that's actually happening too...

Rosalina is tight as HELL in this trailer, out of all the characters released thus far I'm looking forward to seeing how well I play with her the most!
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Hey look! Princess Zelda is back too :O
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
dohz

Re: Smash Sis. 3DS/Wii U: WARNING! NEW THREAD APPROACHING!

Post by dohz »

Is that move supposed to be derived from Spirit Tracks? While cool, it’s a bit odd seeing this particular Zelda using it.
(this, probably)
[/spoiler]
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I don't know what the deal with the Phantom is, but I don't think she's using it. She has that same pose in the pic with Link and Peach.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Probably an assist trophy, c'mon fellas.

Seeing Zelda back is cool, mildly hoping they tweak her moveset a bit. Never really could do well with her.
WiiRool

Post by WiiRool »

I was actually hoping Zelda would have a different design than here Twilight Princess-look. This one is fine, however, I would have liked to see her Ocarina of Time equivalent appear like in SSBMelee.
Never iron the pants your're wearing!
skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

It's pretty nice that Zelda's been confirmed, but I want to hear about other characters... Ness for example. He has been in every Smash Bros. to date, but you never know with Nintendo.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

When it comes to the roster of Smash 64 I think it's safe to assume they'll be in every game. The team sees them as sacred classics at this point it seems, never daring to switch them out.

Also just so I get bragging rights if I'm right: New Pokemon character will be Zoroark.
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

Bwarch wrote:Also just so I get bragging rights if I'm right: New Pokemon character will be Zoroark.
He's not that relevant anymore, though. Mewtwo and Lucario appeared in past Smash games and they both got Mega Evolutions (in-battle form changes) in X and Y, which I feel could work as new (possibly Wario Man-styled) final smashes while being related to a more recent game like pretty much every other new reveal so far. (I was seriously expecting a more substantial Pokémon-related reveal than whatever Xerneas will end up being when X and Y came out, by the way.)