(shouting)

Are these the worst Super Mario World music ports ever?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
CM30

Are these the worst Super Mario World music ports ever?

Post by CM30 »

Warning, massive ear murder in the below video. Yes, these are genuine songs from a soon to be rejected Super Mario World hack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCC7IoUabG4

It's just depressing to even hear really. It's like Mega Man meets Crazy Bus, like the second song was played by someone whose keyboard/piano got stuck in the background.

So yeah, are they the worst attempts at custom music you've ever heard? Or are there someone worse music porting attempts out there?
S.N.N.

Re: Are these the worst Super Mario World music ports ever?

Post by S.N.N. »

There's a guy who has been attempting to port since Addmusic was released. I've been porting since 2007 and he started at the same time as me, and he never actually improved. In fact, he has seemingly gotten worse. His are about as bad as the ones you posted.

(I would feel like an ass -directly- posting his channel, but if you look up "Super Mario XP Professional" on YouTube, you can find it. That's all I'll say on that.)
CM30

Post by CM30 »

S.N.N. wrote:There's a guy who has been attempting to port since Addmusic was released. I've been porting since 2007 and he started at the same time as me, and he never actually improved. In fact, he has seemingly gotten worse. His are about as bad as the ones you posted.

(I would feel like an ass -directly- posting his channel, but if you look up "Super Mario XP Professional" on YouTube, you can find it. That's all I'll say on that.)
Oh God, I came across his music ports.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure one video on his channel actually bothers to say the song included is horrible quality. Which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when you consider the quality of the rest of it.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Reminds me of something slightly better than Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, which was an official release. Yes, that's supposed to be the final boss theme from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Bean wrote:Reminds me of something slightly better than Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, which was an official release. Yes, that's supposed to be the final boss theme from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Wait, that's music from a published game? Bloody heck that's just awful. And I thought we reached the limit of 'game devs not caring' with Capcom and their proof reading 'skills'.

Ah well. Let's hope that we never get a situation where any of these terrible ports end up in a game released to paying customers.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Biiiig, big huge thing over that soundtrack. Me and a few other friends are always laughing about it, a while ago one of my favorite musicians posted a thing saying that the composer for the Dark Brotherhood soundtrack was on new software at the time and had no idea what to do.

It's interesting because the composer is from Bioware of course and when I looked it up I think I was seeing they were the same guy that worked on Mass Effect. So it's this big huge mystery for why the soundtrack is so bad.

Sonic games are hit or miss but the music is almost consistently amazing, so having this one off game from Bioware fail so miserably on the music side was interesting.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

THis thread reminded me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyRrip8b11g, though it's a sample issue more than a competence issue

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bwarch wrote:So it's this big huge mystery for why the soundtrack is so bad.
There's a rumor out there that they lost the original music so they stole MIDIs from VGMusic and whatnot.

Then again, it's just a rumor. No real confirmation.
Jesuiscontent wrote:THis thread reminded me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyRrip8b11g, though it's a sample issue more than a competence issue
related
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Heh, if you ever really need a good example of why not to skip inserting music samples for sampled songs, I think this example from the same bad hack I mentioned earlier is probably the ultimate example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmreb7gNrcA

I have no idea what the song was even supposed to be.

Also, I apologise for the crappy quality of the video. But come on, both the song and the level design are just horrible. Screw good video quality or playing, a game this bad arguably doesn't deserve either. Especially with that damn invisible coin block...
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Bean wrote:Reminds me of something slightly better than Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, which was an official release. Yes, that's supposed to be the final boss theme from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Man, that's pretty awful, but the Diamond Dust remix that plays in that one area (Central City?) is like a million times more awful. Cannot believe they butchered 3D Blast's incredible OST.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

KobaBeach wrote:
Bwarch wrote:So it's this big huge mystery for why the soundtrack is so bad.
There's a rumor out there that they lost the original music so they stole MIDIs from VGMusic and whatnot.

Then again, it's just a rumor. No real confirmation.
I heard it was due to the contract expiration and how the game was released as a late beta product due to them moving work onto Dragon Age: Origins.

I also heard it was because the music composer had never worked with the limitations of the Nintendo DS.

Both rumors, but I actually enjoyed Dark Brotherhood.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It sounds like they hired the composer the day before all the music was due.