(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: request grab-bag

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote:The link above worked!

This is going to be... special.

spoiler I played through the intro stage so that won't be blind but nobody likes seeing my faffle with the controles.
I like seeing your faffle, even if it does make me throttle my monitor in despair sometimes. :lol:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The updater is larger in file size than the game? What is this madness.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

raocow wrote:but nobody likes seeing my faffle with the controles.
implying you won't be faffling the entire series
(I'm just remembering Nitroid, I don't know how complicated the controls in this are)
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
malipo

Post by malipo »

If you are looking for some filler stuff, judging for Ludum Dare 26 has ended.

The theme was Minimalism.

Top Entries (Jam)
Top Entries (Compo)
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

raocow should play the hack "Call of Cthulhu"!
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Jolpengammler wrote:raocow should play the hack "Call of Cthulhu"!
It looks good but it's like a whole world or two in one long level. You only get a level select by beating it. It's kinda dumb.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Savestates exist. Also the design and art and everything is awesome!
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

you should play no more plumbers 2
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Fun fact: I would have kept playing it's part of the huge amount of games with permasaves that don't save on my computer!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Well, I haven't recommended anything in a while, but really raocow - you should play Rayman 1 at some point.

I beat most of the game recently and it made me remember why I got so addicted to it as a child. It's one of those games that presents you with difficult levels - but makes it all ok by having an amazing atmosphere. It also would be in no way the hardest game you've played - given that I managed to beat it and in all honesty - you are definitely better at platformers than I am.

If making the game incredibly easy to obtain is a bribe you're willing to accept - here is where I got my copy. All you have to do is download and run the game.

*link snipped*

Two things you'll want to do if you download the game are to delete the two random save games that come with it and set the framerate cap to 60 in the game options (otherwise the game will run way too fast).

User was warned for this post: No warez mang.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Re-recommending this commercial game that I suggested, but dissapeared thanks to the talkhaus going away: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223220/

I expect it'll do on sale in December during the Christmas sale.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Oops, sorry about the link. Amazing game either way.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, been playing some Mario fan games (not hacks) recently, so I may as well recommend some of them.

For starters, Super Mario Fusion Revival. It's pretty much bar none of the most impressive fan games in recent history, and just looks and sounds ridiculously awesome for something that's the result of maybe five people working in their free time. Has some crossover elements (like previous project Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, which could itself be worth a play given that it's now 'cancelled' and is gonna be wrapped up as quickly as possibly), but is mostly good old Mario length levels with reasonable difficulty and mostly vanilla style enemies (just with unique designs depending on the world). Here's a few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ZCCp8RKJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO4XLGH6sPY

Another one to recommend would be Super Mario Blue Twilight DX. Bit old now, and the engine is showing its age, but it's still a pretty good game. Lots of interesting levels and bosses, a whole bunch of WACKY seasonal levels to celebrate halloween, christmas and april fool's day and some good old humour in there too (like a certain ending).

It was actually on a TV show once, with G4's Attack of the Show featuring it about eight years ago. A trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h1ROKY4fdQ

Finally, I'll recommend Attack of the Walrus again. Why?

Because it's basically 'raocow the fangame'. As in, the kind of surreal randomness raocow uses in his commentary, in sort of game form.

Some examples of its strange ideas (apart from just killer Walruses as a concept), include:

A level based on a trivia game, where you have to answer real world quiz questions correctly to progress.
Snarky message box text and comments
At least one level that makes Normal Mario Bros look somewhat sane
And some interesting twists on traditional level and boss concepts that could be interesting to see.

He needs to try it, just because of how... well, Let's Play like the game is. It's basically tailor made for video game walkthroughs on Youtube by sarcastic and semi witty internet personalities with some of the bizarro gimmicks featured.

You can find the games at the following addresses. All three have good reviews online, with the games review averages on Mario Fan Games Galaxy being:

Super Mario Bros Blue Twilight DX: 8.8/10
Revenge of the Walrus: 8.3/10

Super Mario Fusion doesn't have a score there yet, because it's only currently a demo and hasn't been submitted.

Downloads are:

Super Mario Blue Twilight DX

Revenge of the Walrus

Super Mario Fusion Revival
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

CM30 wrote:Super Mario Fusion Revival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ZCCp8RKJw
DUUUUUUUUDE.
Rao I'm gonna go ahead and second this request. And if you don't I just might do it myself, that trailer is amazing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Huh? Is Super Mario Fusion Revival done?
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

The last thing raocow needs is another Super Mario engine
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

ano0maly wrote:Huh? Is Super Mario Fusion Revival done?
0.4.1 beta as said in the trailer, so still not completely done I suppose.

Still worth doing methinks, there's probably a good bit of content already to have fun with.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Not yet. But it's worth mentioning, because:

A: Even the demo is great.

B: It shouldn't take ridiculously long to finish, given that we're nearly on v 0.5 at the moment and progress is fairly decent.

Also, one minor recommendation for raocow:

Play Super Mario Blue Twilight DX in late December.

Really, there's a whole seperate 'side story' that's unlocked when you play on Christmas Day, So it'd be pretty darn neat if you played in then, and hence when you Christmas Day video came up, you got to play through Mario's Christmas Story or whatever as a sort of inbetween episode.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I personally think he should wait until it's finished, so that we don't have spoiled content.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

CM30 wrote:

B: It shouldn't take ridiculously long to finish, given that we're nearly on v 0.5 at the moment and progress is fairly decent.

Really, there's a whole seperate 'side story' that's unlocked when you play on Christmas Day, So it'd be pretty darn neat if you played in then, and hence when you Christmas Day video came up, you got to play through Mario's Christmas Story or whatever as a sort of inbetween episode.
Not to mention you have to play it on Oct 31 to even get the good ending.
I also suggested Blue Twilight a good while back, and I even played it again not too long ago.

It sucks.

By aged, I mean REALLY aged badly. I remember loving this years ago, but now, this thing is not LP worthy. Don't bother. The ending was good though.
Instead, I'd recommend Super Mario XP as a short game.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Uh, the GMC Jam #12 came and went..Well, it's still in the voting process now.

I find this funny because the last post I have on this thread is telling you that Jam #10 is done.

Can't remember if #11 happened and talkhaus 'forgot' or if #11 happened while the talkhaus was offline.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Sebby19 wrote:
CM30 wrote:

Not to mention you have to play it on Oct 31 to even get the good ending.
I also suggested Blue Twilight a good while back, and I even played it again not too long ago.

It sucks.

By aged, I mean REALLY aged badly. I remember loving this years ago, but now, this thing is not LP worthy. Don't bother. The ending was good though.
Instead, I'd recommend Super Mario XP as a short game.
I don't know about that. I mean yeah, Blue Twilight DX hasn't aged fantastically and does have quite a lot of glitches and things, but I still found it a pretty fun game regardless. And I guess the halloween issue can be gotten past by changing the system clock.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, may as well post some possible Super Mario World hacks here in case raocow or anyone else wants to talk about whether they might make for viable LP series. Both are Japanese and were found on a random site:

1. Luigi of Shadow

A Japanese hack by an unknown author, this one has Luigi become a psychopathic villain and do something evil, with Mario having to travel the world to stop him. Well, that's about all I could understand in the plot, I can't read Japanese.

As far as game structure goes, it's your traditional Japanese Mario hack. Decent amount of worlds, graphics ranging from mostly vanilla to fairly custom, some use of music, asm, sprites, etc. Nice edited overworld.

The Good:

It's very long. As in, it has at least TEN worlds and over one HUNDRED exits. This means if you ever get about three or four months free and need something to kill time, well this game could do quite nicely.

It's got some Japanese hack 'charm', with lots of interesting level concepts, a good mix of vanilla and chocolate elements and hey, Luigi as a murderous sociopath for whatever reason (which was somehow also the case in Brutal Mario, SMW YEAHH, The Mario, S Mario and various others). Feels a bit like a VIP game (probably because of the overworld and the presence of graphics the guy nicked from the VIP series in the endgame)

Lots of secrets to find. Secret World/Star Road, Switch Palaces, secret levels and alternate paths, you name it and it's present here.

The Bad:

It's very long, so if you try it out and absolutely hate it, well it sucks to be you. Also, god help the possible translation team, because not only does the hack break very easily in Lunar Magic, but it's as mentioned, about ten or so worlds long, meaning lots of message box text to translate.

Some questionable designs. Has some dodgy level gimmicks and some questionable custom bosses, probably because the maker found SMW Central and decided that every single boss on the site had to be included somehow.

Has a few glitches. Including one pretty bad one later on (very, very late in the game).

Download:

http://www7.atpages.jp/smw/view.cgi/1380180914/

2. Super (yes, just super)

Another hack I found. Much less of a doorstopper than Luigi of Shadow and a bit remniscient of those hacks raocow played back in the mid 00s with the per level custom gimmicks and 'DIY' feel to the whole thing.

No real plot here. Indeed, no real boss battles either for that matter.

The Good:

Has a nice one 'gimmick' per day format that might adapt well to a Let's Play.

Nice level designs and concepts in some cases, like the very cool second or third fortress (with a very clever twist on the old block train/snake concept) and the puzzle layouts of things like the switch palaces. Indeed, the four switch palaces and one of the later (puzzle based) fortresses might give the old mind a good workout because of how they're structured.

Fairly short, so it could slot nicely between bigger and better games.

The Bad:

Fairly short, so it's not a long term LP series by any means. Short in this case means that the most levels a world has is three or four, and some worlds have just two levels.

Some levels/gimmicks are far less interesting than others. For example, one or two just use stale Japanese hack gimmicks, like 'on/off block mania' or 'this block kills you on touch'. And level design ranges from 'pretty good' (mostly from world 2 onwards) to 'absolutely awful' (the start of world 1).

No bosses period. Is this bad? Probably, it means the fortresses/castles feel a bit anti climatic when you reach the end and simply find a goal sphere instead of a battle. And given the guy's (basic but seemingly half decent) ASM abilities, it feels a bit disappointing he never even tried to make a custom boss for any of the eight or so worlds included.

No ghost houses. At all. That might disappoint some people.

Download:

http://www7.atpages.jp/smw/view.cgi/1384103497/

So that's the latest in 'Japanese Mario hacks that might be interesting LP prospects'. Could be neat to see what others think of them.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I could stand to have more shorter projects so Super sounds like a good idea.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Super Mario XP is also short: 8 levels.

Yeah, with no B-sides going on, shorter games sound like better ideas.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000