(shouting)

Last movie you watched?

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Re: Last movie you watched?

Post by GanonTEK »

I saw Olympus has Fallen yesterday.
It's watchable. Just some mindless action. Bit violent though.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I watched Scream 4 last night for some reason. It was better than 3 but pretty stupid even though I got what they were going for. The last few minutes where (idk why I'm putting this in spoilers)
whats her face beats herself up
is probably the best part. Maybe cause I wanted to do the same to the whole movie.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I just saw Iron Man 3.
It was pretty decent.
Nothing I'd go watch again on purpose though.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I saw Iron Man 3 too (Hi Redsy! :D) about 3 hours ago.
I liked it. More than Iron Man 2. I would watch it again sometime.
Little disappointed at the after credits clip though compared to other ones.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

It got a laugh from me, I just plain want to see more of that character and was glad of the chance to see the cameo. The bit was funny, it wasn't as epic or as funny as other after-movie clips, but I enjoyed it.
O'Largill
soggy
First name: iLeave

Post by O'Largill »

I saw the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film a few days ago.
It was very bad. I don't know how to explain how bad it was.
Just watch the show. The show is nice.
The film was not.
*vomit*
i transformed into a half silkworm, half human anime girl, and caught you off guard. l-looks like... looks like you've been... tricked!!!
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

I saw Iron Man 3, in 3D (didn't add much, I only went because I had gift tickets left over from christmas). It was pretty great, though I really didn't like the twist near the end.
One of the main reasons I wanted to see the movie was because of Ben Kingsley playing The Mandarin. Now, I knew they weren't going to do it like in the comics, with magic rings and all that stuff. I also predicted, from his second appearance, that Killian was going to be the primary villain. It was just that they made the Fake!Mandarin so much more cooler than Killian, who was kind of bland.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Epic, which was anything but really.

All star power and graphics, no substance or creative writing whatso-freaking-ever. If you're familiar with movies as a medium and have seen movies, everything that's done in here you've seen before, it's just done mildly worse with no heart.

The beginning made me actually think "Okay maybe this movie is going to do something" especially with the queen's ceremony and whatnot. But the movie just has this straight line of events it doesn't deviate from in the slightest, there's nothing unexpected, there's no twists, there's nothing that this movie does that hasn't been done before. Count me out as a fan.
Mikkofier wrote:I saw Iron Man 3, in 3D (didn't add much, I only went because I had gift tickets left over from christmas). It was pretty great, though I really didn't like the twist near the end.
One of the main reasons I wanted to see the movie was because of Ben Kingsley playing The Mandarin. Now, I knew they weren't going to do it like in the comics, with magic rings and all that stuff. I also predicted, from his second appearance, that Killian was going to be the primary villain. It was just that they made the Fake!Mandarin so much more cooler than Killian, who was kind of bland.
I quite liked how it all turned out. We have quite enough terrorist movies as it stands, we fight muslim and russian extremists at every turn. Having this movie remind us that evil can come from everywhere was really nice. Also Fake!Mandarin was great just on his own, I quite enjoyed that entire thing, both the comedy aspects and what the movie tried to do with the overall lesson. If you want to see menacing foreigners doing menacing things just play CoD.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Bwarch wrote:
Mikkofier wrote:I saw Iron Man 3, in 3D (didn't add much, I only went because I had gift tickets left over from christmas). It was pretty great, though I really didn't like the twist near the end.
I quite liked how it all turned out. We have quite enough terrorist movies as it stands, we fight muslim and russian extremists at every turn. Having this movie remind us that evil can come from everywhere was really nice. Also Fake!Mandarin was great just on his own, I quite enjoyed that entire thing, both the comedy aspects and what the movie tried to do with the overall lesson. If you want to see menacing foreigners doing menacing things just play CoD.
Yeah, you've got a point in it being a cliche and the reminder being important. I just wish they'd gone about it better...
Otherwise the film was good.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was scrolling through Netflix at 2 in the morning and decided to attempt watching one of the Fred movies (kid that raises the pitch of his voice and for some reason is really popular on YouTube).

The movie started with one of the worst songs I've ever heard (something about 'the last day of school is the best day of school' or something) and I made it about 10 minutes before giving it up. God that was terrible, how is there 3 movies already?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I didn't know there was one Fred movie...
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Sadly, yes. Nickelodeon picked him up a while back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_3:_Camp_Fred
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Raving about Ender's Game inside, excessive use of capitals, spoiler-free pretty much.
OOOOOOH MY GOSH THEY DID SO WELL IN MAKING A MOVIE ADAPTATION.

LIKE REALLY THERE WERE VERY FEW THINGS THEY COULD HAVE DONE BETTER.

EXCELLENT sound overall, pacing was eeeeh a little bit dodgy but that’s what happens when you’re trying to fit in a book into a movie, all the little things they kept in from the book were amazing. All the slang, some of the smaller interactions Ender had in the book (Salaam), THE MIND GAME. THEY KEPT IN THE MIND GAME I WAS REALLY WONDERING IF THEY WERE GOING TO CUT THAT OUT BUT THEY DIDN’T.

They changed the ending scene but that was alright because it worked JUST as well as it did in the book, actually I’d say the movie did the ending BETTER than the book did.

They condensed all of the battle room battles incredibly much unfortunately, there’s only like… three in the movie when there was like a dozen in the book. What was kept in was really good though and I fully understand not wanting to have all the battle room drama in there. The Dragon Army period especially was very condensed.

The music was really good and the sounds they gave the formics were just soooooo cool. THAT ENDING SCENE.

Just. Aaaaaaaaah if you at all liked the book this is a must see. Hell, my whole family liked it so it has appeal outside of the book demographic as well!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I just saw Fargo. I liked that a lot.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I saw Grown Ups 2. It was basically the Adam Sandler movie of Adam Sandler movies.
Actually that would probably be Jack and Jill, but they're both pretty awful.

I'm pretty much convinced these movies are just major cash ins. Like, the budget on Grown Ups 2 was $80million and made $250million in the box office. Both of those numbers are just absurd.

You know a movie is gonna be good when the first scene is a deer peeing on people.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

On the advice of the internet I just saw Re-Animator, and the internet was right on that one. If you enjoy fun B-movies from the 80s and aren't turned off by over-the-top blood and gore then definitely give it a watch.
Baragon
runs a noise label

Post by Baragon »

i saw evolver which is a Sci-Fi made for tv movie about a ROB copy that shoots balls at people in a game then levels up and kills them in real life

probably the best scifi original i've seen tbh
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Someone just posted on reddit with a list of not very well known but good movies on netflix, so I watched the first one: Punch-Drunk Love

Wow. I loved this like on an emotional level; I connected with it really well, and the writing, acting, and most of the cinematagrophy (it was a bit overbearing right at the beginning) was excellent. It wasn't perfect; there was this one actor that felt weird. Also it stars Adam Sandler who does really well, but I think this is an Indie film or something (ie it's not dumb usual Adam Sandler).
So the movie is about a guy falling in love with a lot of pent-up anger. Watch it.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I finished reading Life of Pi for an English assignment a few weeks ago, and I watched the movie today.
I'm going with the second version of the story being true. Regardless of the fact that the movie played it off like it was supposed to be a "plot twist", I still think the second version is what happened. Although arguing over it is kinda pointless since I'm sure if you asked the author which version happened he would say "whatever version you want happened" cause it's all deep and whatnot, so trying to prove which version actually happened feels kinda pointless.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Just watched Nebraska. It's the first movie I've seen in theaters since Lincoln.
Yeah it was really good. It had strong themes and knew how to be very serious, human, funny, and realistic. Everyone, except for Will Forte who was kinda eh, was an excellent actor. There were a few places where the writing was kinda weird, but overall I liked it a lot and I'm glad I saw it.

The movie is about a road trip of a son who goes with his 77-year-old dad to claim money from the lottery. It deals a lot with old people.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I watched RIPD. It was pretty dumb but it was one of those "I don't know, I guess I'm entertained enough to sit through the whole thing" kind of movies.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

I've actually just watched The Seventh Seal for the first time and it wasn't anywhere near as pretentious/artsy as I thought it was going to be. Just a nice movie to watch for fun. Great cinematography.

The movie doesn't really need a story with a twists or surprises in it to keep me hooked. What it does, it does simply and it does beautifully. The face of the girl accused of consorting with the devil, the murals on the walls of the church, and the knight's confession to Death within it, it was all great. You really feel the disillusionment that he is going through, and it all really does give the impression that life is pointless and without meaning.

The church and monks in the film would have all it's followers live with the fear of death and the knowledge of death, and in doing so make that the whole of their lives: There is nothing more to living than simply a purgatory before death. The knight won't accept it and wants there to be meaningfulness in his actions.
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I saw Starship Troopers for the first time last night.

Watching it, I was thinking, "this movie has a lot of flaws, but I can still enjoy it." However, now that I'm trying to remember the movie, I can't think of a single thing about it that I liked. They even committed the horrible crime of showing off a huge fleet of cool starships, making a main character the pilot of one, and then having all of them do nothing for the entire movie.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

GalaxyOfJ wrote:I saw Starship Troopers for the first time last night.

Watching it, I was thinking, "this movie has a lot of flaws, but I can still enjoy it." However, now that I'm trying to remember the movie, I can't think of a single thing about it that I liked. They even committed the horrible crime of showing off a huge fleet of cool starships, making a main character the pilot of one, and then having all of them do nothing for the entire movie.
When I saw Starship Troopers I remember that there were a lot of things I thought were bad about it. Considering that the whole thing is satire though, and the straightest-played satire I've ever seen in film, I have no idea what was intentionally bad and what just happened to be bad. Like most of the acting was wooden, for example, which could have been a meta-satire of wooden acting in most propaganda, or it could have just been bad acting. It's a tricky movie to analyze.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

My buddy and I were just talking about that movie, actually. He thought it was a good movie because of how it was portraying this satire of government propaganda in the guise of a regular war movie that is, as the Doc said, played incredibly straight.

But I don't know. Despite that there's a lot about the movie that's done quite shoddily despite the satire excuse. There's the fact that whenever they shoot at anything, bugs or whatnot, they never AIM for anything. It's just a spray of bullets until the thing falls down. They've even got military videos in the movie showing them (and the audience) that the things are weak in a certain part of the body. But none of the soldiers ever bother remembering that crucial fact.

So the military never bothered actually training their recruits for actual combat? Boot camp was simply conditioning to obey orders and learning to devote themselves to the Cult of Bug Killers?

Well, yes. Apparently. That's why so many of them died when they landed on the planet. The numbers were even inflated by the military for their own purposes.

But then that begs the question: Why doesn't the military's THOUSANDFOLD FLEET OF SHIPS just bomb the damn planet? The planet has no resources. What do the humans want with these things if not to kill them? Do they ever explain that? It would have been a much cleverer satire if they did. See what I'm saying?