-Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
Post Reply
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

-Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

Post by aterraformer »

JUMP Base ROM v1.28
Updated 3/17

-Description-
Imagine yourself back in 2002, doing whatever the hell you were doing back in 2002. Somehow you discover VIP1 and decide to play it. You are immediately blown away because SMW was your favorite game and you always longed for an experience similar. You don't care how janky some of the levels are or how the difficulty can be weird, you are just happy to be experiencing.

That's the idea. Make a collab hack in the stylings of VIP1. Now I'm gonna put it this way though, BlackEscargot's MaGL level would not get it. Just too janked. Cleaned up however, sure! I want this to be super vanilla. Some later levels can feature custom music or graphics or whatever.

This is also a tad inspired by MarkyJoe1990 when he told me I should do a youtube level contest and play all the entries as tool less as possible. Yep.

Video of More Details
Tentative 1-1
Last edited by aterraformer 8 years ago, edited 43 times in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
User avatar
KobaBeach
i am the snow ninja ghghgh
Posts: 3890
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by KobaBeach »

Eh, why not. Might be fun.

Call it "A Super Mario Thing Zero: Prelude to the Prelude to the Stupid".

The plot will be about a younger Demo (age 13-16?) and Iris going to defeat Bowser on the Clown Car some terrible OC that was probably stolen from deviantART because he wants to destroy Demo and Iris' homeworld because of some plot point involving a Golden Leek that is never really explained at any point in time. Also the Koopalings and Yoshi Eggs are there because?

Peach is replaced with said golden leek.

The credits go on to explain that the leek exploded into a million leeks, making way for ASMBXT, which takes place a few years after this.
User avatar
markyjoe1990
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by markyjoe1990 »

KobaBeach wrote:Eh, why not. Might be fun.

Call it "A Super Mario Thing Zero: Prelude to the Prelude to the Stupid".

The plot will be about a younger Demo (age 13-16?) and Iris going to defeat Bowser on the Clown Car some terrible OC that was probably stolen from deviantART because he wants to destroy Demo and Iris' homeworld because of some plot point involving a Golden Leek that is never really explained at any point in time. Also the Koopalings and Yoshi Eggs are there because?

Peach is replaced with said golden leek.

The credits go on to explain that the leek exploded into a million leeks, making way for ASMBXT, which takes place a few years after this.
Wouldn't that make the castle of absolutely no significance significant then?
User avatar
KobaBeach
i am the snow ninja ghghgh
Posts: 3890
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by KobaBeach »

markyjoe1990 wrote:Wouldn't that make the castle of absolutely no significance significant then?
That's the plot twist.
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by aterraformer »

Mods please move to Collab thing because I'm not smart sometimes. This has nothing to do with ASMT and is it's own entity.

Codename: JUMP
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
User avatar
KobaBeach
i am the snow ninja ghghgh
Posts: 3890
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by KobaBeach »

The plot will be about Mario and Luigi/two original characters going to defeat Bowser on the Clown Car some terrible OC that was probably stolen from deviantART because he wants to destroy the Mushroom Kingdom/the main characters' homeworld because of some plot point involving Peach/a bag of peaches (the fruit) that is never really explained at any point in time. Also the Koopalings and Yoshi Eggs are there because?

The credits go on to explain that Peach/the bag exploded into a million Peach clones/a million peaches.
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by aterraformer »

The story is: there is no damn story. As long as Koba has some interesting level design ideas then fine by me as long as he doesn't try to hijack in a storyline.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
User avatar
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
Posts: 1363
Joined: 13 years ago
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Gathelatio, Seat of the Orthodoxy
Contact:

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by raekuul »

Yeah, I thought that this was going to be us making a bunch of youtube levels for the hell of it and subjecting players to kaizoesque hijinks while flat-out stating that this game doesn't play fair.

We can call it "Youtube Level: The Movie: The Game"
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022
Image
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
User avatar
markyjoe1990
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Is VIP1 really "youtube level" quality though? There's a few levels like that, but I felt it was better quality than that.

I think it'd make more sense to say "Let's make it like Vip 1: No changed graphics/palettes, but creative levels that exploit the engine in interesting ways".

Or is that too optimistic?
User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 700
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Twitter
Contact:
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Argumentable »

Hey remember when ASMT was going to be "better than the VIPs" lets just stop comparing stuff to VIP and take it at face value okay???
I'm on Twitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I like to vanish from here forever repeatedly also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw

Argumentable#6424 if you wanna discord me
User avatar
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Posts: 96
Joined: 9 years ago
Pronouns: Male

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Isrieri »

Let me know if this becomes a thing because I've never touched Lunar Magic and this would be the perfect opportunity to start.
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by aterraformer »

I'm only using VIP and Youtube level descriptions as an example. I'm only looking for interesting level design/gimmicks that doesn't necessarily have to come from ascetics. Pretty much what MarkyJoe said.

Yes, new people are welcome and encouraged. We will work together to make the levels better.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
Posts: 30
Joined: 12 years ago
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Trois-Rivières, Canada

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by QuietProtag »

Hmm... sounds interesting. Think I'm going to join this collab if it becomes a thing...
Image
User avatar
KobaBeach
i am the snow ninja ghghgh
Posts: 3890
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by KobaBeach »

aterraformer wrote:As long as Koba has some interesting level design ideas then fine by me as long as he doesn't try to hijack in a storyline.
Will comply!
User avatar
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
Posts: 0
Joined: 11 years ago
First name: guy who made something
Location: COOL FREE RINGTONES
Contact:

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by yogui »

My level is done, when can I submit it?

aka I'm interested in this project and have made some levels for fun some times ago that I won't put in my main game because it don't fit smwcentral quality but would be good for a old school vip-quality youtube hack so maybe I can submit them here so they don't stay forever unused or I can stop being lazy and make some new levels.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Image
User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3790
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by raocow »

So to reformulate what you want, a full on vanilla only collab.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 872
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I interpreted it more as a MATH3 collab than anything
Image

Image
Image
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by aterraformer »

yogui wrote:My level is done, when can I submit it?

aka I'm interested in this project and have made some levels for fun some times ago that I won't put in my main game because it don't fit smwcentral quality but would be good for a old school vip-quality youtube hack so maybe I can submit them here so they don't stay forever unused or I can stop being lazy and make some new levels.
That would be great! I'm a fan of your work and I would like first time users and experienced people alike. If this seems to be a real thing, you could let me know which levels you used and any other stuff if you put in for claims.
raocow wrote:So to reformulate what you want, a full on vanilla only collab.
because I'm not entirely sure if this completely describes what I'm looking for. I'm allowing for custom music but later on in it and kinda the same with palettes but I'm more open with that. I don't know, I just keep thinking JDC when I think of that description but at the same time they used customy sprites and such. I would prefer to do without that.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3790
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by raocow »

Nobody likes hearing the same dumb songs from smw, so what you should do instead is to agree on a bunch of official songs. Like, for variety, agree on a total of 20 or so songs that can be used in the game, and like give the final level it's own thing, or something.

I think I kind of like the idea of a 'store brand collab'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
User avatar
aterraformer
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Astral

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by aterraformer »

You know, I've probably said the same damn thing in the past. I guess I just want the vanilla music to be used some of the time. The overworld songs should be changed too but maybe like the entire first world be entirely vanilla to give that feel and then by world 2 start to be more customy.

I already have a song picked out for the last stage. I'm hoping to get a multi midpoint thing going on.
Styling similar to this: Cool or Cruel - Exit
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Image
Image
Frozelar
Retired Screamer
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Place You Wish You Were

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Frozelar »

We need cutoff guys

Also for the songs, I think we should try to pick catchy good stuff like Mystery Deeps or stuff like that
I understand that good songs like that might not be exactly at the theme we're going for, but I just like good songs in a level
But if people disagree then disregard what I just said

Also I'm totally in

I call dibs on manager
(not really)
S.N.N.
Posts: 559
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by S.N.N. »

raocow wrote:Nobody likes hearing the same dumb songs from smw, so what you should do instead is to agree on a bunch of official songs. Like, for variety, agree on a total of 20 or so songs that can be used in the game, and like give the final level it's own thing, or something.
Better idea: take all of the original SMW themes, remix them, and then put them in the game. At the same time, add 4-5 new songs that follow the original SMW theme that we all know and love (perhaps one for ice levels, one for desert levels, etc).
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
Posts: 0
Joined: 11 years ago
First name: Stephen
Location: Holstaurus Heaven

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

S.N.N. wrote:
raocow wrote:Nobody likes hearing the same dumb songs from smw, so what you should do instead is to agree on a bunch of official songs. Like, for variety, agree on a total of 20 or so songs that can be used in the game, and like give the final level it's own thing, or something.
Better idea: take all of the original SMW themes, remix them, and then put them in the game. At the same time, add 4-5 new songs that follow the original SMW theme that we all know and love (perhaps one for ice levels, one for desert levels, etc).
I disagree(with SNN). Already Mario fangames rely too much on nostaglia porn, and even many custom song have an strong hackneyed feel. We need very uncommon or new stuff if we have any hope of adding atmosphere using music.
Image
Image
Image
Frozelar
Retired Screamer
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: The Place You Wish You Were

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by Frozelar »

Maybe we could compromise and have some of both or something!! Like, we could just have Mario remixes in a little pool, and unique songs in another little pool. Or something. Just throwing out ideas.
User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3790
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Youtube Level VIP1-style Collab Hack

Post by raocow »

If 'musical ressources' are going to be limited, I don't think we can afford to compromise, since every 'option' becomes meaningful.

Also isn't every smw already the same song, but at a different tempo?

Personally I think the songs should be either original or from very obscure songs/games. I don't really have a specific reason qualitatively for this, though, I just think it would be nice, haha.

BUT! Yes.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Post Reply