(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: ASMBXT; Postgame, raocow becomes a RaoMAN!

Post by jayScribble »

S.N.N. wrote:
Validon98 wrote:Touhou Jaiseishou (did I spell that right?): The Last Comer.
I searched for a few minutes on YouTube and Google but couldn't find any information on this soundtrack. Does anyone know where I can actually find the full thing (or if the level designer, i.e. Septentrion, could post a link to the specific song here, that would be cool).
Here's the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpRHFdR6iYs
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Great, thanks a lot.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

S.N.N. wrote:Great, thanks a lot.
You're welcome.

It's a start for enlightening the mood in this thread.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
D_Prelude

Post by D_Prelude »

I actually found the tower part of fluffy quest to be a whole lot more interesting than both of the outside jump parts. maybe because the gimmick was toned down a bit and used in a smarter way.
Simple Signature.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

S.N.N. wrote:As opposed to yesterday, I actually believe today's level WAS fundamentally cool. If certain parts of it were polished up and made to be less messy (eg. the area with the sheep spam underneath the blue blocks), I think it would be an okay level.

Also, I should probably note that when part of a level seems hilariously random, it generally means the design is lackluster. This seemed to be the case with the vertical castle portion - it looks like the platforms and cannons were placed everywhere with no rhyme or reason and it was more or less a matter of luck trying to dodge everything. I've noticed this a lot throughout the game, actually - people tend to just throw shit everywhere and call it "difficulty", whereas only a few people have even tried to come up with legit hard and creative setups.

(What was the track? It sounded like something out of a newer Touhou game.)
alex2 wrote:more words
ban alex
See? Now that's what I call constructive criticism. :) Yeah Fluffy Quest seemed kind of randomn. It's quite a good idea to put moving thigns in a hard platforming level, however it shouldn't be random. Randomness is a lackluster of good quality and only causes frustration for the wrong reasons and is considered fake difficulty. Moving platforms should be placed wisely as should the direction/ pattern they move. I think the level would have been greatly improved if a limited amount of well placed platforms would have moved with a certain speed and a certain pattern. This way it might make you feel sick and progression depends on luck!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Oh man, this thread. It's gotten more entertaining than raocow playing the game.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I had no idea the the blue switch part would be so badly received. While I do still think the switch itself should stay as it is, the bouncing sheep part should be improved in both creativity and shouldn't be as hard with out the switch.

also, I tried responding the music in video form. Here's the theme extended. And you can like embedded videos apparently.

docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I didn't think the switch was a problem. But I guess that's because a coin triggered it for me.

I think the problem with this level is that it's basically like a more extreme version of ice physics on small platforms. That and it made me feel sick. :P

I have got to admit though, my first impression of this level when I played it was really good.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Well, Fluffy Quest... besides having sheep and Mary Shephard's theme for the first half, I don't get how it's a Fluffy Quest? I mean, the second part has no sheep and it has Loose Rain instead... Ah, whatever. I can understand why people would get motion sickness from this level, but I don't think it would be too bad for myself (hopefully). In my opinion, besides invisible switches (I guess it makes the level way easier but that part with the jumping sheep looks pretty hard without it due to the nature of the moving layers), the level had some good parts, maybe? Ah well. I honestly hope that this isn't the extent of your abilities in SMBX, SP, because I think that these two levels are a rather bad way of assessing your abilities considering both were, in some way, shape, or form, hard to play due to the way the engine works. I'd like to see a level by you that doesn't have weird moving layers. ^^;
Also, yeah, for those of you who haven't played The Last Comer, go ahead and look it up! It's actually a pretty good Touhou fangame, at least in my opinion. And of course, the music sounds really nice (Phiased's theme and the stage 4 theme in that game are amazing).
Oh yeah, another thing I just remembered. I assume the nearly-world-ending sheep fairy herself was the cameo you didn't implement because graphical reasons, right SP?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Redbone

Post by Redbone »

Fluffy Quest just needs some polishing and tweaking and it'll be a pretty cool level to play. The main problem spots have been pointed out and they don't seem too hard to fix. As well I'd like to echo SNN's thoughts of enemy placements, the level would benefit really well with more thought put into enemy positioning, and bring out the level mechanic's potential a lot more.
exists on occasion
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

No motion sickness here! Enjoyed the level, but think the first switch should've been visible or better heralded. Chaotic random sheep seem fine to me for postgame, but the rotation might needed to have been a little bit slower. Amusing that the title is "strategyyo" when a bit of raocow-strategy may have been just what the latter half of the sheep run called for. The upward ascent and horizontal area was better than the first half, but kinda lacked any sort of context or focus. The boss... well, I guess Ludwig is kinda fluffy. The rinkas were actually reasonable in the Ludwig fight, even if they did look like they were copy-pasted from USS Unfathomable's end room. Maybe if Ludwig was reskinned to Sheep Man, Marry or a blocky sheep with evil red eyes it would've been thematically better and funnier.

Did the fourth grave always say "...who was killed by an angry mob"? Because after yesterday's nonsense, that's just too damn appropriate :D
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I had no idea the the blue switch part would be so badly received.
Yeah, me neither. Even I suddenly wasn't too thrilled about it. I guess it was a consequence of seeing just how hard that room could be without it, because it seems like absolutely everybody but raocow managed to find it, and hit it every time from then on.

And yay, people are starting to be more pleasant!
I don't really get it but okay
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Slit08 wrote:What a shame to see what this once awesome, friendly and somewhat non-sequitur community has become.
Wait a minute, when was this ever an accurate description of the Talkhaus?
Slit08 wrote:Many peeps here wouldn't act this way yet a few selected members tend to bash people or being incredibly rude when it comes to using words for criticism: alex or MrDeePay to name the two most prominent.
Also I kinda have to object to this. From what I've seen, MrDeePay is very critical, but he's not a complete asshole about it. He just has high standards, and his critiques generally have some useful stuff in them!

Both of these levels made me mad (Fluffy Quest less so), but I'm not mad at Pleiades. Especially since he's taking the criticism like a reasonable adult and not lashing out at everyone over it. That's the sign of an artist with the capacity for growth, and, even with bad first impressions, I'm interested in seeing any future work.

The good news is, the postgame gets way better from here on out, from what I've played. One of my favorite levels in the game is gonna show up in an episode or two.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ishntknew wrote:The good news is, the postgame gets way better from here on out, from what I've played. One of my favorite levels in the game is gonna show up in an episode or two.
The next 2 levels are Tewi Eien Tewi and Luna Tower. You must hold those levels in a higher regard than me.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

I waited for the update of Tewi Eien Tewi before attempting it, and it kinda... only took me a few tries. I don't know what was changed, but it wasn't nearly the hellish experience I had been expecting, and to be honest was kinda forgettable.

Luna Tower though I love love love. I'll wait for the video before commenting any further though.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ishntknew wrote:I waited for the update of Tewi Eien Tewi before attempting it, and it kinda... only took me a few tries. I don't know what was changed, but it wasn't nearly the hellish experience I had been expecting, and to be honest was kinda forgettable.

Luna Tower though I love love love. I'll wait for the video before commenting any further though.
I posted a video of someone attempting to play the original Tewi Eien Tewi, if that helps. It was qute bad in it's original iteration, but this update makes it much better.

Luna Tower meanwhile, I found way too long. Really cool, but went on way too long.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The sheep part in Fluffy Quest reminds me of the of the wind castle in S Mario, particularly the muncher pit with the bowser statue spinjumping. That pit is raocow decided to take the easier route. That's basically what happened in this level, too. The obstacle is doable, but it''s precise enough that a mechanic throwing off your movements slightly can ruin the attempt. Basically you don't feel like you're in control.

It's a really cool concept, but probably could have used less sheep launchers and more leeway-allowing level.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Not as funny as the last video zero stars unsubbing
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Well, I'm not sure I can see straight after watching that. Yikes.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

SAJewers wrote:
Ishntknew wrote:I waited for the update of Tewi Eien Tewi before attempting it, and it kinda... only took me a few tries. I don't know what was changed, but it wasn't nearly the hellish experience I had been expecting, and to be honest was kinda forgettable.

I posted a video of someone attempting to play the original Tewi Eien Tewi, if that helps. It was qute bad in it's original iteration, but this update makes it much better.

Luna Tower meanwhile, I found way too long. Really cool, but went on way too long.
I sure hope raocow doesn't beat the easier version of tewi ein tei really quickly and then try to play a second level.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Slit08 wrote:Indeed that's exactly what I was talking about. There's no reason to behave like that. Honestly would raocow do something like that? No! Many peeps here wouldn't act this way yet a few selected members tend to bash people or being incredibly rude when it comes to using words for criticism: alex or MrDeePay to name the two most prominent.
Next time, before you starting throwing around idiotic buzzwords about me such as some of the people on SMWC do, try understanding the context of what I'm doing. I just simply have higher standards for levels than what would be seen as the norm here (same for SMWC, but the bar at the Talkhaus is much lower) and an admittedly low submission guideline or "But raocow liked it!" (which is not an accomplishment, by the way) isn't going to stop me from commenting on their work. I do not expect people to meet the expectations I set for myself, that would be foolish, but I would like for people to at least not look like they slapped something together in their editor of choice. If you want people to hold your hand, stop looking at me. Most of the time I'm criticizing "someone", I am criticizing their work, not them.

"Would raocow do something like that?" There's no telling, to be honest, because he's inconsistent like Joe Flacco on a bad day, has poor tact (especially regarding SMWC-related junk), and a pushover. "I will defend this level even though it is blatantly terrible and the tone of my voice and reactions paint a completely opposite story!" "This level isn't even that bad even though I'm dying left and right in my own level due to stupid game mechanics I implemented into the level in the first place!" "Those meanies at SMWC called ASMT kaizo-like while I'm implying this crappy difficult contest level that is nowhere near being Kaizo is Kaizo!" If this wasn't directly associated with raocow (ie: any of his levels in this, Rupture in Reality) or the Talkhaus (ie: ASMT, AXMT, and A2MT by the looks of it), the reactions all around would be much different.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

MrDeePay wrote:
Slit08 wrote:Indeed that's exactly what I was talking about. There's no reason to behave like that. Honestly would raocow do something like that? No! Many peeps here wouldn't act this way yet a few selected members tend to bash people or being incredibly rude when it comes to using words for criticism: alex or MrDeePay to name the two most prominent.
Next time, before you starting throwing around idiotic buzzwords about me such as some of the people on SMWC do, try understanding the context of what I'm doing. I just simply have higher standards for levels than what would be seen as the norm here (same for SMWC, but the bar at the Talkhaus is much lower) and an admittedly low submission guideline or "But raocow liked it!" (which is not an accomplishment, by the way) isn't going to stop me from commenting on their work. I do not expect people to meet the expectations I set for myself, that would be foolish, but I would like for people to at least not look like they slapped something together in their editor of choice. If you want people to hold your hand, stop looking at me.

"Would raocow do something like that?" There's no telling, to be honest, because he's inconsistent like Joe Flacco on a bad day, has poor tact, and a pushover. "I will defend this level even though it is blatantly terrible and the tone of my voice and reactions paint a completely opposite story!" "This level isn't even that bad even though I'm dying left and right in my own level due to stupid game mechanics I implemented into the level in the first place!" "Those meanies at SMWC called ASMT kaizo-like while I'm implying this crappy difficult contest level that is nowhere near being Kaizo is Kaizo!" If this wasn't directly associated with raocow (ie: any of his levels in this, Rupture in Reality) or the Talkhaus (ie: ASMT, AXMT, and A2MT by the looks of it), the reactions all around would be much different.
Even though this shouldn't be the case, I agree. Be frank, and tell us what was bad. If you want a possible sequel to be any better, we have to be told what needs to be better.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

We aren't going to have easy mode updates for the rest of the post game are we?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

If there are updates it will be for mechanics that are busted, yes?

A level further on kicks my butt but it's mechanically sound. That type of level is fine. It's when a gimmick has some kind of mechanic involved that makes it unfair for the player.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Pholtos wrote:If there are updates it will be for mechanics that are busted, yes?

A level further on kicks my butt but it's mechanically sound. That type of level is fine. It's when a gimmick has some kind of mechanic involved that makes it unfair for the player.
Yeah, that sounds good. Patch out the fake difficulty and leave in the real difficulty. That would lead to a fairer postgame, because I honestly would not like to play a level because it isn't working well.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!