(shouting)

Official Tea Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Official Tea Thread

Post by Ashan »

Bartle wrote:Stop using crappy infusers and buy something with a finer mesh, duh
What kind do you use?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The idea of the infuser isn't to strain your tea, it's to allow you to remove the leaves when it's convenient to prevent the brew becoming bitter. As an aside, you should do without an infuser whenever possible as you'll get a better flavour (eg you only need a prescribed amount of cups or what you're using won't suffer being left for a while, like oolong). What you want is a strainer, something like a little sieve to sit over the cup when it's time to pour it out the pot. So the waggish suggestion of filter paper isn't far off the mark. The suggestion that you should throw your tea away is particularly idiotic.
dont wanna jihad no more
freelop

Post by freelop »

Bit of a brainfart whilst making a brew today, put sugar into the teapot instead of a teabag.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

freelop wrote:Bit of a brainfart whilst making a brew today, put sugar into the teapot instead of a teabag.
I know that feel. I think the worst brainfart I ever had when making tea was one time where I finished pouring, and then immediately put the kettle in the fridge because it's approximately the same colour/size as a 2L bottle of milk. I came back down half an hour later wondering how I'd managed to lose a whole kettle in my own house.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
freelop

Post by freelop »

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

We have one of those Tassimo things that you put the little cartridge in, press the button, and it makes a cup of the drink for you. It's mainly for coffee but we bought a box of the tea cartridges a while back. It's not the best stuff ever, but regardless:

One time I tried making a cup of tea with that, so I filled the machine with water, put in the cartridge, and pressed the button. It wasn't until halfway through I realized a mug might be helpful for, you know, catching the tea.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I once used a machine like that just to make hot water, because I couldn't find my kettle.
It appears that if you don't actually put a tab in, the water starts leaking out of every single crack.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

I like chai tea (and I know just enough about tea to understand that "chai tea" is redundant except that colloquially it is recognized as certain type of spiced tea) and Thai tea and uh... well 20-1 says I'll drink whatever tea you throw at me provided I can dump enough milk and/or sugar into it, which is to say I will RUIN MY TEA in the eyes of the connoisseurs.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Black English Breakfast with no sugar all day 'erry day

But not actually all day because I don't have access to a teapot for most of the day. I don't use an infuser though, I just make a whole pot. I'm a quantity guy. Putting milk in the tea makes the antioxidants stop working or something scientific like that.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I used to work at a tea place called David's Tea and it was the best job ever and I miss it ;_;
I only was hired for Christmas time time cause they needed a lot of extra help, and was let go in January cause Christmas was done.
I got 50% off all things, so I bought a crap ton of tea and mugs and things.
Maté tea is awesome, as is rooibos or white. And herbal. I don't really love green tea, except for matcha, because it makes me reminisce about Japan. Any tea with pomegranate or mango is the best~

I put agave in my tea as sweetener. It's best.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Gyokuro.. I have heard of that. Or something like it. I'll try it sometime probably~
Also I have a pomegranate green tea here too, but I didn't find it that good, either. It wasn't terrible, but I prefer just... matcha.

I forgot how much I love oolong tea, as well. I have this vanilla oolong, and it tastes almost creamy, but yet it isn't. It's pretty cool. Peach oolong also is amazing.

And has anyone tried pu'erh tea? I've only had coffee pu'erh tea, and it tastes really good as an iced latté. But I don't think this kind is very common at all.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Ahh, I love fruity teas. Some of the fruit herbal teas I have taste amazing iced. Almost like juice, even. *-*
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I'm kinda afraid of mixing teas, cause I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow and create grossness.
Deidara Iwahara

Post by Deidara Iwahara »

Redsy wrote:Maté tea is awesome, as is rooibos or white..
What kind of white teas do you like? Most of the ones i like tend to be very flowery or with citrus. I could live off of good lavender or violet white tea. I save fruity for green teas and sweet (aka basically dessert) or full of spices for rooibos.
Crispity Crunchity Peanut Buttery
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

What kind of white teas do you like? Most of the ones i like tend to be very flowery or with citrus. I could live off of good lavender or violet white tea. I save fruity for green teas and sweet (aka basically dessert) or full of spices for rooibos.
Fruit fruit fruit fruit fruit.
Pomegranate, or apple, or strawberry, or mango. The selection of white teas I can find isn't very big, so those are kind of the only ones I've tried. I think. But they are fantastic. I've also just tried straight white tea, and it was quite nice too.

For flowery teas, I prefer black.

And for rooibos, I like spiced, usually.

You'll screw up. A lot. A ton. I did and do, but that's part of the fun. Admittedly it's the bad part of the fun that everyone wishes they could do without
The first part rhymed.
But yeah, idk. Tea is expensive sometimes, and I can't even mix anything with the pomegrante white tea I have because they discontinued that particular kind for who knows why, so I don't want to waste it ;_;
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Honey in tea, experts. Is there a rule? 'cause I pretty much use it every time.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Agave >>>>>>> Honey.
Honey in tea is actually gross in my opinion.
Agave is where it's atttt.
Deidara Iwahara

I only use honey when it is one of my favorite fancy honeys or i am sick and need its antiseptic properties. I actually need to fix my sourwood honey because it crystallized, it's really good for green tea.

Otherwise honestly i just use varying types of sugar. I don't like agave or "regular" clover honey or anything like that.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Bartle wrote:I used to rhyme like Doctor Seuss but soon began to make a noose

I don't think I've ever bought tea at more than £10/50g. I still think that's a little expensive but it's still cheaper than what most cafes charge per cup.
That's unfortunate.

That's like.. $15. I think. Some teas I get, mostly white teas, are $20+/50g. Which is too bad, really.

Oh, I have this one black tea, and it tastes like root beer, and it's so cool, and it's great~
Deidara Iwahara

Redsy wrote: Oh, I have this one black tea, and it tastes like root beer, and it's so cool, and it's great~
Ok where can i obtain root beer tea because i need some of that in my life.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Maple syrup...
Being Canadian, I must try that.

As for root beer tea, umm..
http://www.davidstea.com/organic-root-b ... 78B9&DEID=

There's a cherry cola one as well, but I guess it's being discontinued. I don't remember if I actually bought any, but I've tried it and it tastes good ><
Deidara Iwahara

Redsy wrote:Maple syrup...
Being Canadian, I must try that.

As for root beer tea, umm..
http://www.davidstea.com/organic-root-b ... 78B9&DEID=

There's a cherry cola one as well, but I guess it's being discontinued. I don't remember if I actually bought any, but I've tried it and it tastes good ><
This place also has birthday cake rooibos?! And strawberry white tea sounds good... Well now i know where my next paycheck is going.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Hahaha yeaaaah, I had a %50 discount when I was working there, plus free tea while working. I bought a lot of things. A lotttt of things.

Birthday cake rooibos is delicious, and I want to try that with maple syrup. xD
That or the Oh Canada rooibos.
The strawberry white tea is really good too. It tastes like strawberries. And tea. v.v
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Oh I love hibiscus! <3

Also I don't think you can find many of them in America. There's many in Canada though~
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I spent my new year's having a tea party with Bilbo Baggins. I even bought a bloom tea for it. ;_;

And yeah, I suppose that's what Canada is.
Though, David's Tea isn't as common as Tim Horton's. =3=