(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Re: raocow Plays: ASMBXT After World 3 is World 4

Post by Octagon »

Due to all that comma wonkiness, the bullets in River City are super fast for me. Interestingly, this doesn't make things much harder, since the out-of-place koopa counter terrorist somethings conveniently play an animation before they shoot...
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Stop all that. I'm betting nothing in those spoilers is relevant to this LP. I think there's another thread for general asmxt discussion. Anyway, Rao asked that people not discuss future levels here, even in spoilers.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Octagon wrote:Due to all that comma wonkiness, the bullets in River City are super fast for me. Interestingly, this doesn't make things much harder, since the out-of-place koopa counter terrorist somethings conveniently play an animation before they shoot...
Oh, so that's why they shot their bullets so fast for me, and I thought it was intentional.
It just, at some point, changed for absolutely no reason whatsoever on my end.
It might not be the comma/period thing after all, I don't know, I know nothing...
Ditocoaf wrote:Stop all that. I'm betting nothing in those spoilers is relevant to this LP. I think there's another thread for general asmxt discussion. Anyway, Rao asked that people not discuss future levels here, even in spoilers.
...but that's what always happens in the LP threads...
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Octagon wrote:Due to all that comma wonkiness, the bullets in River City are super fast for me. Interestingly, this doesn't make things much harder, since the out-of-place koopa counter terrorist somethings conveniently play an animation before they shoot...
Comma wonkiness...?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Validon98 wrote:
Comma wonkiness...?
The differences between how the computers view the comma and period in mathematics (whether a "," or "." is viewed as a decimal point)
If the game is played in a place where the opposite of the how the game is written (i.e. the player is in a comma decimal point when the game is made in a place with a period one) it freaks out.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Paralars wrote:...but that's what always happens in the LP threads...
True. COUNTER ARGUMENT: You know what always happens to LP threads that include tons of posts about things raocow doesn't want posts about? THEY GET LOCKED.

I wrote a lot of things in all caps so you know im srs
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Prosecuted to the Full Extent of the Jam would be an excellent album title!
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Tree of coins thing: The spriteset had the topmost tree graphics missing, so as a joke I did that. The text I made up on the spot.

The background was tiled by Duker, that's his work, superb job and thank you once again!

I hope someone got the 'A Mega Demo Universe Lateral Manufacture' thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it was supposed to be a Yoshi Coin, hence the 'horse coin'.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

dear diary, today i learned there was another word for twilight in portuguese

sf3 has the best sf music (necro has the best themes in new generation, 2nd impact and 3rd strike), i heard the ex games also have good music but i don't remember the first two's music (i never played ex3)

taizo hori is the guy from dig dug and also the father of the guy from mr. driller (susumu hori)

i don't get the IaMP and SWR thing though

kash needs to make more levels, it's like chriddof and docfuture tried to make a mario world hack, minus a bunch of references to obscure 80s and 90s pop culture and 70s-mid 80s british programming
dr_kraid wrote:Prosecuted to the Full Extent of the Jam would be an excellent album title!
it would probably be a fanmade dodonpachi remix album (with a few esp ra.de./espgaluda and deathsmiles remixes here and there)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Spoilered for size, before and after for the background.
From this:
Image To this:
Yeah I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Kashkabald wrote:The background was tiled by Duker, that's his work, superb job and thank you once again!
No problem dude.
Last edited by Duker 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
fart.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

KobaBeach wrote:dear diary, today i learned there was another word for twilight in portuguese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6IN4Rwy_zQ
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

So...
Capital City [of Flowers] in the Sky sort of happened. I guess it was a nice sky level type thing.
Where's the Floor? was another level that sort of happened. The whole Piranha Plant coming out of the wood thing a little disorienting and a bit strange. Plus I had no idea that was the secret exit.
Lusco Fusco... was that supposed to make sense in any way, shape, or form? I'm utterly baffled by it. Something about a tree and car keys and a mega Demo emporium thing that I don't get and Immaterial and Missing Power and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. It kind of went over my head.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

Hey there, talkhaus! What's your opinion on this...

At first I didn't want to see anywhere ahead of where raocow was up to with the game, because most (not all, but definitely most) Youtube let's play vids I've watched in the past that weren't either new or nostalgically old to me were less fun than ones I knew inside out or had played recently.
For most of World One, I managed pretty much to watch my daily raocow, then that evening (raocow vids are a midday-ish thing here in the UK) I'd do the levels he'd done- rinse and repeat daily. That was my initial plan, but, the levels were just too fresh in my head which took a great deal of fun out of them for me; so- end of World One-ish- I played waaaay ahead of Monsieur cow and (probably obviously!) got a lot more fun and WAY more laughs from the game, but slightly less from the daily cow vids.

So, everyone- what are your thoughts/habits/routines/rituals/vows with respect to the aforementioned above-upthered-(^^^^)ness?
"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~
I wasn't sure if this should go in the ASMBXT thread, as it could apply to any game really, but this is where I'm puttin' it! (Could a mod move it/start a new thread with it if need be please?)
"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-,._.,-~"~-Hey! These wavy lines I made are pretty cool! 8-)
Too long; didn't read? Don't be lazy!
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

benzeenie wrote:All sorts of things
Personally, it doesn't really make too much difference to me. One of the reasons I watch raocow is because he plays the kind of games I don't, which is pretty much my number one requirement for let's players. The more well acquainted I am with a game, the more likely I am to get annoyed when a let's player doesn't play it well; I find it far easier to be patient if it's a game I'm no good at. Furthermore, I don't actually find I lose anything from being 'spoiled' by prior knowledge of a game. When I see a scene, I react pretty much the same as if I was playing the game myself. If it's gameplay that's trying to get a reaction, I'm usually too focused on actually playing the game to provide an emotional response.

That said, I was going to make ASMBXT the exception to the rule, since I know how hard the other forumites worked on it, but I've simply never had reliable enough internet to download the dang thing. So there's that.

I find that, on the rare occasion I do have foreknowledge that the let's player doesn't, I enjoy their reaction more because of the anticipation. It's an interesting game to try and guess how they'll deal with something before they do.

tl;dr don't be lazy

Edit: acquainted has a c in it. I always fudge that spelling. Q is a letter that confuses me whenever it appears.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote:
benzeenie wrote:All sorts of things... tl;dr don't be lazy.
All sorts of things... tl;dr don't be lazy.
Good sir, I like the way you think! :D

*EDIT*
Something I forgot to mention in my long rambling mess of a post before- Does anyone else have any problems/issues with the text boxes in the game? I'm not sure what it is, (the white on blue?) I've got pretty good eyesight and only seem to have trouble with this game's text; it's weird! I read very fast usually, but I find I have to pause when watching raocow- and when playing myself I often have to re-read the text a couple of times.
I really haven't got any idea what it's about- I can't think of any other online or offline reading problems I have. I read a lot of stuff online and a huge amount of books in my spare time too.
(It's a bit worrying to be completely honest!)
Last edited by benzeenie 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

I enjoy LPs whether I've played the game or not, which is one reason why (not on the talkhaus, obviously) I've actually begun LPing a few months back, because it's enjoyable.

EDIT: This made me think that perhaps people might be interested in them, so I linked my LPs in my signature. That is, if you care. You don't have to.
Also, this discussion is a bit off-topic, huh?

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

benzeenie wrote:
TheVulpineHero1 wrote:
benzeenie wrote:All sorts of things
tl;dr don't be lazy.
Good sir, I like the way you think! :D
Please don’t say you are "lazy”
だって本当はcrazy
白鳥たちはそう
見えないとこでバタ足するんです
本能に従順忠実 翻弄も重々承知
前途洋々だ(ry

i'm sorry i just couldn't help myself

also,
dr_kraid wrote:Prosecutedt to the Full Extent of the Jam
just correctin' ya!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

benzeenie wrote:<snip> <snip> <snip>
<rip>
Crap! I ripped it...
Sorry for ripping your post benzeenie. :|
I just played ahead immediately since working on the game means you usually have pretty much everything spoiled anyway (and I didn't do much to stop that for myself).

Though - now I have about 47 stars... And this game is hard. So raocow is already overtaking me.

I will admit though - knowing what's coming up takes a bit of the fun out of it. So I'm kind of glad raocow is outclassing me at platforming.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

benzeenie wrote:Too muchImage
Well, you can't really expect a let's play of a game that you've already played to be be extremely enjoyable, since you have already played it you're either bored of something you've seen before, or (sub)consciously critiquing the gameplay style. sometimes you might have to chose between playing a game and watching.
But, if you want to continue doing both, you can see how, an LPer would react to a stage or part you had trouble with or you can be interested by how a level can be progressed differently as a different player character.
man, that entire second paragraph was probably complete nonsense
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Emitan

Post by Emitan »

I just knew he would accidentally get a powerup without using the clock.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Come on, raocow! It's one thing to have a "let's yell at the screen" video when there are puzzles about, but really... When signs say "hey use a shell", the concept of using a shell should spring to mind pretty darn quickly. :roll:

If I had to give World 4 a theme, I'd go with something like "Almost Rainy Rainforest". Most of the levels that fit in any environment in the first place either are forest area levels or have something to do with water, even though none of them are ever "water levels" like we're used to. In fact, most of the time there's barely anything to swim in.

...Though I have to admit, counting "Welcome To River City" just because of the name is... stretching it.
I don't really get it but okay
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

darkychao wrote:Somethin' something' somethin' Image
Image You try'n to hit me with them may-mays??? Image

I wonder if many people will get this..?
I also wonder... If there is anyone who gets it- will they say so, or will they pretend not to.

---

Anyone else think that raocow seemed to be playing extra badly today? He was playing (imho) the same way I do when I've just switched up from a regular old SMW hack- straight to playing on the SMBX engine.
cheez8 wrote:When signs say "hey use a shell", the concept of using a shell should spring to mind pretty darn quickly.
Also, THIS! ^^^
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Its funny how raocow understood the coin arrow in my level to use the shells against the Lakitus... then even managed to kill himself off his own shells.
RyutheXIIIth

Post by RyutheXIIIth »

KobaBeach wrote: Please don’t say you are "lazy”
だって本当はcrazy
白鳥たちはそう
見えないとこでバタ足するんです
本能に従順忠実 翻弄も重々承知
前途洋々だ(ry
I salute thee.
NEW CONTENT COMING SOON
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

benzeenie wrote:So, everyone- what are your thoughts/habits/routines/rituals/vows with respect to the aforementioned above-upthered-(^^^^)ness?
I find raocow fairly entertaining regardless. Last game I played at the same time though was Distorted Travesty which I got stuck in the jungle on before quitting. Usually I watch a few videos and then download the game (such as ASMBXT which I have yet to even unzip) but I have a habit of not getting around to playing it due to being busy with other things.