(shouting)

Level Finalization/QA List (Tweaking of Inserted Levels)

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Final Tweaking of Inserted Levels

Post by limepie20 »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:We even have the 4 switch entrances right?
They are al cleared. One still needs to be inserted.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I'm also liking the OP format, but I'm going to edit the name of the colors in because I have trouble telling colors apart, if that's okay. Also, what do the stars next to the names mean?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:I'm also liking the OP format, but I'm going to edit the name of the colors in because I have trouble telling colors apart, if that's okay. Also, what do the stars next to the names mean?
those stars are the old rating for difficulty level. I didn't want to erase information when converting to a new format.

Go ahead with any changes you feel fit.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

What does a yellow comment mean on your level, doesn't say anything about that =/ But I am guessing I should shape up the level more, correct? Talking about Irritating...
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Camoslash wrote:What does a yellow comment mean on your level, doesn't say anything about that =/ But I am guessing I should shape up the level more, correct? Talking about Irritating...
They are functionally light orange.

Edit: It is low priority and might not even be changed. If the author agrees then we would gladly accept a resubmitted level.
muuma

Post by muuma »

Not have been here for around 5 months, and I missed AxemJinx and MrDeePay's tests of my level, so I would like to know if it is still possible to edit my level as I don't know at what point the game is actually.

If I read your tests correctly, I might change a lot of things in my level, so it may take a while to edit, and I am pretty busy with work right now. So I request your patience. Well, I guess I'll just make it more simple and put more sprites then, but I like this gimmick except I don't really know how to deal with it. So if you can give me if possible some advises by MP it would pretty helpful to me and you would have my deep gratitude.

I might start this week-end as I am free (ans this is why I am posting here) and submit some results if possible before Monday.

Thanks for your attention.
I see what you did there...
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

muuma wrote:Not have been here for around 5 months, and I missed AxemJinx and MrDeePay's tests of my level, so I would like to know if it is still possible to edit my level as I don't know at what point the game is actually.

If I read your tests correctly, I might change a lot of things in my level, so it may take a while to edit, and I am pretty busy with work right now. So I request your patience. Well, I guess I'll just make it more simple and put more sprites then, but I like this gimmick except I don't really know how to deal with it. So if you can give me if possible some advises by MP it would pretty helpful to me and you would have my deep gratitude.

I might start this week-end as I am free (ans this is why I am posting here) and submit some results if possible before Monday.

Thanks for your attention.
Your level is considered at passing quality. I'm trying to organize all current issue in the First post on this thread. Right now we haven't had a serious Cooperative go through of the entire game. I suppose that will be done when the final normal level gets put in.

Here is what we have, from misterdeepay. I found these to be very subjective, so don't worry about it too much. Really, I would only suggest worrying about your level if there is something you know you want to change.
- Level could really use a checkpoint at the start of the auto-scroll. The sublevel goes on for quite a bit.
- Boss is a pain in the ass for what I suppose would be obvious reasons.
\
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If you want to edit your level, go ahead. When you're done, post it in clearing again, and we'll check it out.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I started going through the levels and making edits to the OP. Red is of course highest priority, but I found the level 6's gimmick is completely screwed up. Its insertion into the rom didn't go well apparently, because it worked in testing.

I will try to give each level a color in the meantime. The goal is finding gamebreaking stuff, and not complete reviews at this stage.
MrDeePay

Re: Level Finalization List (Tweaking of Inserted Levels)

Post by MrDeePay »

I'm sorry, but my point is criticism is more of an accept quality during development. After ASMT came out the was a sublevel (zaqaar's hell) that everyone suddenly started to have a problem with. I spend more time in the collab area, so I was going of SNN's impression of you.
Criticism is valid no matter when during the hack's development it is. (Design/Alpha, Beta, post-release, etc.) If you're talking about level authors who are initially "No, it's fine!" only to later go "On second thought, maybe...", especially if it's post-release, then that's another story. I haven't bothered with any base ROM updates since I posted the last time here (hence lack of activity on A2MT), so I don't know how seriously you are taking my commentary. (I know Cup pretty much blew off my gripes with his levels, for sure.) If I were to "go all out" on my commentary, (I was told by one of your own to "lower my standards/expectations.), this hack would definitely never be released in a timely manner.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

We are planning to take every criticism you gave into consideration. We are currently in the process of fixing levels, but everything is going very slowly because of school. So yeah.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

MrDeePay wrote:Criticism is valid no matter when during the hack's development it is. (Design/Alpha, Beta, post-release, etc.) If you're talking about level authors who are initially "No, it's fine!" only to later go "On second thought, maybe...", especially if it's post-release, then that's another story. I haven't bothered with any base ROM updates since I posted the last time here (hence lack of activity on A2MT), so I don't know how seriously you are taking my commentary. (I know Cup pretty much blew off my gripes with his levels, for sure.) If I were to "go all out" on my commentary, (I was told by one of your own to "lower my standards/expectations.), this hack would definitely never be released in a timely manner.
I couldn't agree with the first part more. However, I don't think that your criticism will delay the hack that much, as we could always disregard more little things.

I have created 4 level of level acceptiblity: Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue. I might not even elevate any levels to blue status before A2MT even comes out.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Might I ask what the difference is between Green/Passing and Blue/All Good?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

swirlybomb wrote:Might I ask what the difference is between Green/Passing and Blue/All Good?
Green means that there are likely issues that could be brought up. Blue means that it's been heavily tested, and that other levels should be focus on if you are a tester. The blue/green difference is for testing.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

Excuse me sept. But you made a little mispell in my level name. Its La joie de glisser and not La jole de glisser :).
SyStemkraSh5642

tenta wrote:Excuse me sept. But you made a little mispell in my level name. Its La joie de glisser and not La jole de glisser :).
I'm probably to blame for that. I'd fix it, but Septentrion beat me to it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Systemkrash, could you at the very least, leave a note in the OP if you edit. I put a section at the bottom for that. It's a too many hands in the cookie jar sort of situation.

I've haven't seen any red cleared. Have you had no time to fix anything, or just haven't updated?
SyStemkraSh5642

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Systemkrash, could you at the very least, leave a note in the OP if you edit. I put a section at the bottom for that. It's a too many hands in the cookie jar sort of situation.

I've haven't seen any red cleared. Have you had no time to fix anything, or just haven't updated?
Truthfully, I actually didn't know I was supposed to fix the levels in the red yet. I thought we were going through all of it first... Also, my finals are over now, so I should be fine to work on these.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:Truthfully, I actually didn't know I was supposed to fix the levels in the red yet. I thought we were going through all of it first... Also, my finals are over now, so I should be fine to work on these.
Your not close to overtaking the testing, so don't worry about fixing them too quickly. Red levels are stuff like crashes, and unacceptable yoshi coins. It would be most logical to focus on them.

Also I've found a couple of levels not on the overworld even, plus alex's level isn't in the baserom.

Let me and other people worry about testing. The work you do is too important to lay that burden on you. The list was organized for your convenience, after all.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

MrDeePay wrote: Demo Kong Country:
- Broken music in the bonus rooms because of the lack of samples. Just replace the song with another bonus track. Maybe that Japanese one that's seen in those types of hacks perhaps? After fixing it to be AM4 friendly, of course.
I don't know how the samples didn't get inserted, but if you need them, then you can download them from here.
It wouldn't make sense to replace a Donkey Kong Country song in a Donkey Kong Country themed level. xD
MrDeePay wrote:
- ROM crashes on screen 03 of level 186. This level is currently unbeatable.
This problem has come up in the past, and I believe that the block I used on that screen might've been overwritten. I was using one of the .bin animated hurt blocks. Re-inserting the block will probably fix the problem.
Yoshi Ambassador!
SyStemkraSh5642

Karatekid5 wrote:I don't know how the samples didn't get inserted, but if you need them, then you can download them from here.
It wouldn't make sense to replace a Donkey Kong Country song in a Donkey Kong Country themed level. xD
From what I remember, I think that the samples WERE inserted, but were then removed in a later version to make more space in the ROM. The only samples that have been inserted are Chrom1um's, I believe.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, don't worry about it. It'll be inserted.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Every level has a color now. Just because a level is green doesn't mean it doesn't have anything to be fixed. I could change the green w/slight problems to yellow if preferred by SystemKrash.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Alright, getting on that fix now, completely forgot about it, heh...
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

so, I recently played Mansion of Onoffness in the current baseROM, and I noticed that it is for some reason a lot harder than it was when I tested it.
Back then I found the autoscroll segment difficult, but doable.

So, I searched through my folders and found the uninserted test version of that level, and the autoscroll was much better.

For some reason, in the baseROM version, the first two switches in 170 are one block higher, so as soon as you hit those, you are usually dipped into the on/off block by just a bit, and when they turn solid, you slip completely through.

I'd recommend lowering those two switches again, the current state is unreasonable and this really makes it a lot better, I don't think noseman would mind, that's how he originally submitted it, after all.

EDIT:
Some other issues:

-Skyway to Wonderland
you can skip at least one of the pipe mazes by walking on the top row of tiles after bouncing off an enemy, just letting you know
The messagebox is empty, this also applies to a lot of other levels, like Gelatin Factory, I don't know if those didn't get inserted yet on purpose or it was just overlooked.

-Goofy Grotto
getting the first dragon coin reveals a glitched graphic.
The no yoshi intro should be removed, also applies to a lot of other levels.

- Tangled grounds
at the part where you jump on many tofu spring blocks, there is a single coin that looks like it indicates a block, judging by the surroundings, but there is none underneath

- A.D.D.
Running really fast into the bonus/water transition crumbling blocks can easily kill you for no reason