(shouting)

Mario Forever - How to abuse a driver's permit

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kraze422

Re: Mario Forever - How to abuse a driver's permit

Post by Kraze422 »

I really like the way this hack looks so far.
And I hope it doesn't turn out unreasonable/unfair like everything seems to be nowadays...
What?

Oh...
kilon

Post by kilon »

Castle was scared of being destroyed by Mario again and since he was already collapsing, he figured the best way to go is up.

So it makes perfect sense.

And I start to like this game a bit more. Does raocow failing has anything to do with it? ;)
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Kraze422 wrote:I really like the way this hack looks so far.
And I hope it doesn't turn out unreasonable/unfair like everything seems to be nowadays...
It's not a hack. That said, I agree with you.

Also, dare I ask what the aggregate playtime for this video was? An hour?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

You know, if every game I play now costs me an hour of my time for zero progress, I'm going to have to return to one game a day soon.

(back from a mario forever session)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

It turns out that those falling stars you saw in that one level, don't want you dead...they are just there for decoratory purposes. Yet again raocow made it harder for himself, but with this freakin' game, who can blame him?
MrDudeMan

Post by MrDudeMan »

The world 3 background as well as the bowser boss music are both pretty awesome.
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

watching raocow running face first into a goomba reminded me of something i found out the other day.
apparently, a goomba is kuriboh in japanese? o.o

also, gotta love the random comments about how the castle disappears at the end of each video.
is it me, or is it mimicking super mario world castle transition things but skipped 1 world. the hammer happened in world3 if i remembered right. and the rocket happened in world4
Yiazmat

Post by Yiazmat »

I like how it's been adding random hazards(?) normally not present in mario, like the falling ceiling bricks and the shooting stars.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Wow, those potatoes suit seems kinda...useless. Especially since the fire suit is clearly superior.
Elnendil

Post by Elnendil »

It breaks blocks underfoot, so places like in area 1-3 are accessible. Goomba Party made me scream by the way.

It's not entirely useless, no.
TurboPup

Post by TurboPup »

What a plot twist... Mario was the Potatoman all along!

Nice to see a Mario fangame actually using music from SMW and YI instead of SMB or SMB3 music. Their music is a great deal better IMO. Looks like they're using level design ideas from SMB1 though, which isn't so great. Its levels are quite flat and boring compared to SMB3 or SMW.

Some of the graphical effects look pretty cool. And raocow's castle murder reactions are just priceless.
"You are running on bells and whistles right now."
- Husky
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote:
Kraze422 wrote:I really like the way this hack looks so far.
It's not a hack. That said, I agree with you.

Also, dare I ask what the aggregate playtime for this video was? An hour?
My bad.
Habits, and all.
What?

Oh...
Daze

Post by Daze »

I wonder how much damage those potatoes would do to Bowser... But hey, it seems like the difficulty curve is starting to take effect (even if only due to the controls). I didn't think raocow would have to resort to chipmunk time. Still, the game's getting a little more creative. You just have to figure out what's really a trap and what isn't.

As a side note, I'm hoping that World 4's castle is destroyed by World 3's falling from the sky. ;)
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Elnendil wrote:It breaks blocks underfoot, so places like in area 1-3 are accessible. Goomba Party made me scream by the way.

It's not entirely useless, no.
Hm, never really thought about it. I guess it's more for finding secrets rather than for actual offensive power.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

I kind of dislike how the music loops so dang poorly in this game, but the gameplay itself hasn't been to bad lately. Also, don't you think that the fire flower is better than the potato suit simply because it's easier to use?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Not gonna lie, as of now I find the potato pretty awful. It's like a gimmicky power-up that is only useful for those places in the level made for that gimmick.

What I'm saying is that it's a late-megaman boss weapon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

raocow wrote:Not gonna lie, as of now I find the potato pretty awful. It's like a gimmicky power-up that is only useful for those places in the level made for that gimmick.

What I'm saying is that it's a late-megaman boss weapon.
I hate how those potatos just bounce around like that in different directions and miss the enemies half the time :(
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Well, I'm at a hotel for an out of town tennis tournament, and man, the internet sucks here, so I can't watch more than a minute of the Mario Forever Video, since I have to go to bed.

But, what I saw made me lol.

We'll do it...

BEAR STYLE!
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

Watching Mario Forever, I wanted to say two things:

1. raocow's falling-to-his-death Game Over in part 2 was hilarious, I'm sorry,

B. The music in the section after Sucky Underwater Coralspike Maze is Waluigi Pinball from Mario Kart DS, quite the catchy tune.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
kilon

Post by kilon »

I don't know anything about this game, but what do you gain from beating the lost map besides getting closer to 100% completion?

Isn't it a bonus world kinda like a world 9?
Golem

Post by Golem »

Hum. As for today's videos -

1. The Super Mario Bros. 1 controls aren't bad, they're just a different approach to platforming. Compared to the Super Mario World controls, they're pretty difficult, yeah.
However, in the Super Mario Bros. 1 case, limiting the player's control is kind of difficult to program. Programming momentum is kind of a thing, so limiting the player's control on the basis of momentum is a pretty conscious effort on the programmer's part. For example, controls like Ninja Gaiden (NES), where you have complete mastery over your horizontal position during jumps, are relatively easy to program.

2. It looks like raocow isn't grabbing coins. : - x When you reach game overs as often as you do in Mario Forever, coins are important! My suggestion to make this game at least somewhat easier--don't pass by coins without collecting them!

3. I was wondering what that music was. Thanks, StarkMaximum!
Quoth the raven, "~teehee~"
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Wow. That last level was kind of ridiculous.

Level design that more or less requires you to hope you get lucky with how the enemy projectiles come out is not good level design.
graumail

Post by graumail »

It's not completely dealing with the randomness of the projectiles. The key to dealing with hammer bros is to move quickly. Mario 1 had an almost sonicesque feel to it where you are rewarded for just running about with your scissors. There were several times where if raocow would have just kept running, he would have been alright. I'm not saying I wouldnt crack under the pressure of four fire-brothers, but speed (or a powerup) is key in this area.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

Wow, seriously, That last level was horrible. It was almost like you required sheer unadulterated luck to get past the barrage of hammers and fireballs. Guess the creator ran out of ideas for that level and basically just said "yah, let's just put a bunch of hammer/fire brothers randomly strewn around the level, and hope for the best.
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

After todays video I would actually think of screwing this game, if I were you.
I know you're ambitious and want to beat every game that you present to us in your LPs. But if it is just unfair, tedious, time-consuming and hard as hell, why would you even bother?
I remember your hard times you had in Vip4s "thorn thorn labyrinth". A game that is completely cheap just the way that level back then was isn't worth playing.
2 games a day are really cool fan service, and I hope you will keep that up. But please don't break yourself by playing games that are just plain unfair.
"What the hell. And thus hell was whated." - raocow, VIP 4

My videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TwilightArts