(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
freelop

SMBX Help Thread

Post by freelop »

In order to prevent the other thread being cluttered I thought it might be useful to have a general help thread.

For one is there any way of changing the period of time a P-Switch is on for?

I'm sure it must be easy to do but I can't seem to find the button.
m4sterbr0s

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by m4sterbr0s »

There's no actual way to lengthen or shorten the time the P-Switch is going on for. The time is hardcoded in the SMBX source code, and the source code would have to be modified in order to change the time the P-Switch lasts (though, the source code itself is pretty hard to work with).
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Speaking of "help", could someone point towards where I can actually obtain SMBX?
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Here Comes Dracula!

Post by Here Comes Dracula! »

Ok, so I've been fiddling around with the custom music feature in the editor. Some tracks will play just fine, but others (with no visible difference in format or file size) just don't load up.

Any ideas?
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Make sure it's a supported audio file like .mp3 or .wav. In addition, when you're using that feature, make sure you type the name of the audio file and attach the file type.

For example, if you have a .mp3 file named "Seascape", in the editor where you type in the custom music, make sure you typed Seascape.mp3. Then click the custom button and it should be able to play.
Here Comes Dracula!

The audio files I'm using are all .mp3, I've entered the correct file name and extension for all of them, some of them will play in the editor and others won't. Hence my confusion.

Are there any other factors that come into play here?
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

To be honest, the only thing I can possibly think of is file size, or the program you have is messed up. Other than that, I've known all .mp3 and .wav music to play just fine.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Here Comes Dracula! wrote:The audio files I'm using are all .mp3, I've entered the correct file name and extension for all of them, some of them will play in the editor and others won't. Hence my confusion.

Are there any other factors that come into play here?
Try reconverting your mp3 file, perhaps. Open it on an audio editor and save a copy, then try it.
Here Comes Dracula!

Opening it up in Audacity and exporting it as an mp3 seems to have fixed it.
Thanks for the help!
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

I can't seem to be able to make the world autoscroll, but I appear to have all the settings correct...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

ParuParu wrote:I can't seem to be able to make the world autoscroll, but I appear to have all the settings correct...
Untitled.png
I've gotten this from the SMBX help guide; this should help, hopefully:

Auto-Scroll

To create a level which scrolls on its own and makes a player have to move with the screen without going ahead or back, you would use this function. This is used in conjuction with the POSITION section setting.

After creating the entire level set the boundary to the size of the playable screen and select POSTION "Use Current". This will set the area that the players must remain inside. Now you may resize the boundary again back to the edges of the level itself.

Select which section will use this auto scroll feature to turn it on. The speeds are set just like Layer movement speeds. Other events may be used to change the direction or speed of the screen as its moving.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

Oh god, that looks very confusing...
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Here's a more step-by-step guide, hope it helps:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/375/

The autoscrolling interface does seem to quite badly designed. It seems like one of those things that would have been fixed in a later version.

If all else fails and you can't get it to work you could have a slowly advancing wall/floor/ceiling of spikes/lava/munchers/electricity/whatever and force the player to keep moving that way. Layer movement is a lot easier to work with as far as I can see. The only problem with that is that the player could go faster than you intended to try and leave as much room as possible. If you don't want that then you'd have to have a slowly retreating death layer as well to cage them in.

Good luck with figuring out the autoscroll!
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Here's a more step-by-step guide, hope it helps:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/375/

The autoscrolling interface does seem to quite badly designed. It seems like one of those things that would have been fixed in a later version.

If all else fails and you can't get it to work you could have a slowly advancing wall/floor/ceiling of spikes/lava/munchers/electricity/whatever and force the player to keep moving that way. Layer movement is a lot easier to work with as far as I can see. The only problem with that is that the player could go faster than you intended to try and leave as much room as possible. If you don't want that then you'd have to have a slowly retreating death layer as well to cage them in.

Good luck with figuring out the autoscroll!
Hmm, you could actually cage the player by using walls on either side... Thanks
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Is there a way to make that sort of "cutout" jump through terrain, like the kind popularized by Hacks 101?

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=4013
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

At one point in Talking Time Bros 1 or 2, raocow was flying around in a Klown Kar with a cannon on the front shooting down enemies, how exactly do you add the cannon to the kar...?
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Put the cannon on the Kar.

Nearly every kind of NPC interacts with each other, and having one object follow a platform is as simple as putting the object on the platform.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

XutaWoo wrote:Put the cannon on the Kar.

Nearly every kind of NPC interacts with each other, and having one object follow a platform is as simple as putting the object on the platform.
I tried it but the cannon falls right through it...
Here Comes Dracula!

Are you using the regular cannon or the disco cannon that the player can pick up? Because I'm fairly sure the bowser-mobile only works with the latter.
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Make sure that the Billy Gun (or the Toothie, which is on the left side of the clown car in that picture) are placed like that. After that, go on top of the clown car, press down, and hold down the run button (correct me if I'm wrong) and you'll able to use the Billy Guy and/or the Toothie together.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

m4sterbr0s wrote:
Make sure that the Billy Gun (or the Toothie, which is on the left side of the clown car in that picture) are placed like that. After that, go on top of the clown car, press down, and hold down the run button (correct me if I'm wrong) and you'll able to use the Billy Guy and/or the Toothie together.
Alright, thanks man. I decided I'm gonna drop the car and use a blue boot.

What is a good method to filter the blue shoe after the designer sees its use done?
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

It just occurred to me that the Ghost house tileset is missing the stairs. Are there stairs somewhere in the editor that I'm missing or are there actually none?
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I can't seem to locate them, either. If there really are no ghost house stairs, though, then you can simply replace the graphics for one of the various slopes with ghost house stairs graphics and use those instead. :)
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Mineyl wrote:I can't seem to locate them, either. If there really are no ghost house stairs, though, then you can simply replace the graphics for one of the various slopes with ghost house stairs graphics and use those instead. :)
Aha! Alrighty, I just looked it up in the help file how to do custom graphics, and it seems easy enough.
Thanks for the help!
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower