(shouting)

8 Powers - Let's Mario it up in gimmickless gimmick town

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kles
First name: h

Re: 8 Powers - Let's Mario it up in gimmickless gimmick town

Post by Kles »

I thought the "can't see Mario" was actually pretty cute and done fairly well. I wish this hack put more care into its ideas - it could be quite nice.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

That boss was actually good
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah except the ice birdo level which was like 10 times the same screen, I liked today's levels as well and the boss was pretty funny. That's a good sign (question mark)

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh the invisible mario level was actually what I expected when I heard there was a japanese gimmick hack. It's cool to finally see something like that, but I know on the inside there will only be a couple more levels like that.

The first two played today seemed like the exact same level except the birdos were replaced with a blizzard. Everything is just flat terrain where you deal with one enemy at a time. By flat terrain, I mean there is only one place you can be standing on a specific y axis.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

That was probably the best part of the game. The boss was well done and the invisible level was well done.
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I'm enjoying this LP despite the general blandness of the level design and the underutilization of the gimmicks. Probably because tone- and content-per-video-wise this is, like, the polar opposite of how N!SMW2 ended up.

The invisi-Mario level was pretty cool though, and so was the boss (graphical glitching aside).
CM30

Post by CM30 »

I'm enjoying the LP for the same reasons, because raocow actually makes noticeable progress in each video now. If anything's potentially annoying about Yoshi's Island hacks, it's that they don't damn end and make each level a marathon level based around puzzles and collecting, whereas SMW levels like the ones in this game at least give you pretty much at least one gimmick/notable difference a video.

I have to say as well that the water world has some pretty interesting gimmicks (although less interesting than the invisibility level) and the sky and mountain/island levels are kind of unique as well. Unfortunately, there are some pretty poor design choices in the later areas just like in the early ones.

Oh, and a new demo was apparently released:

http://www7.atpages.jp/smw/view.cgi/1327919027/

Introduces two new levels and a new boss, and fixes Leaf and Plant, the kill room level in the ice world and another boss end sequence as well.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Anyone know what the music from the boss level was from?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ometeotl wrote:Anyone know what the music from the boss level was from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxGE-Zn9ms

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I meant the level, not the boss itself.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mJp4P3V7w

Which is Area 5 ~ Arle vs. Rulue (Track 22) from Super Nazo Puyo: Ruru no Ruu.
dont wanna jihad no more
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

You know, I'm really starting to think that this game was designed by a 12 year old or something...
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

So the gimmick for the first level was that one "invisible" block?
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yes, the gimmick was that one block and not any of the rest of the level like the flopping fish
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
muuma

Post by muuma »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4HWWRdfURs

Haha~

Nonetheless, this "apple" moment would make a great song.

edit:
RobinLSL wrote:You know, I'm really starting to think that this game was designed by a 12 year old or something...
+1, I don't ever remember seeing a video where raocow cleared 4-5 levels in a row in 10 minutes like that.

And it seems the author wants to upload his rom while raocow plays it so I don't know if he/she is aware but the level design doesn't seem to evolve much, like he/she does it in a hurry or something.
I see what you did there...
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Argumentable wrote:Yes, the gimmick was that one block and not any of the rest of the level like the flopping fish
That one block added a lot more to the level than the flopping fish, seeing as touching those fish killed them instantly.
raocow on "raocow":
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Flopping fish is a better theme, but hey, to each his own
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Wow, a 15 minute video in which raocow was actually challenged a little bit.

I guess that's an improvement?
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Wow, that alternate solution to the shell level was actually extremely well thought out. Weird for this game.

Rock Smash was obnoxious, though. I'm vision impaired, so the entire level and the background blended into each other.
raocow on "raocow":
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Today's levels were kind of meh in my opinion. Honestly, the Thwomp boss? Really? He made three new bosses for his sprite pack in the last few months, yet he uses an old, outdated crappy sprite from smw central instead?

In a game with custom bosses like this, it's freakin lame. Just like Brutal Mario using a premade sprite.

I sort of liked the Muncher gimmick, but the others were done better in other hacks.

However, there is some good news coming. Not only did the maker update it again with some new (and pretty interesting) levels, but he's released some new bosses he plans to potentially use in future. And the later levels are actually quite interesting gimmick wise.
Like the fadeout level. Flying evil heads that shoot fire level. Falling cluster lightning level. Land of communism 2. Etc
They're also a bit harder, I suspect the fadeout effects in two upcoming levels will really annoy raocow.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

ROCK CRASH was pretty bad. The central gimmick seemed pretty annoying, and not very well thought out. The level might as well have been a cement block maze because that's how the level was constructed.

Great boss and great ending. The hack might not be good, but it is entertaining at times like these.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

Well, that was a random spike in difficulty.

And this took longer to record than today's Distorted Travesty video?

Jeez.
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Wait around a whole lot: the boss.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

It seemed like the top of fish boss didn't actually "exist" as far as the game as concerned. Also, do the plus and minus balls mean anything in Japan, or is that just "what sprite should I use? Fuck it, plus and minus balls"?

P.S. Seriously, that last thwomp boss was extremely lazy. If you have a thwomp sprite and an earthquake sprite, you should be able to put them together.
raocow on "raocow":
Greader

Post by Greader »

This boss looked like a good example of a waiting-around boss gone wrong: You always have to wait around until the boss gives you the opportunity to attack, the boss takes at least a few hits too much and if you don't manage to grab the block (and the block is only there for a short amount of time and moves fast enough that either you are exactly where you need to be or you don't get it) then you have to wait out until you can attack again.

The problem is just that the longer the fight goes on the more likely you are to die, and with a boss that only gives you the chance to attack once in a while that means that if you die, you can't do anything next time to speed things up. You can't use your knowledge of the boss's pattern to attack more frequently, you can't play more aggressive to hit the boss quicker, there is nothing really you can do to speed things up. After a few tries it just gets anoying as you have to go through the same pattern over and over again, just to get a chance at trying to figure out how to survive the pattern you died on, and if you did not figure it out then you have to everything all over again for another chance.

Sorry for that little rant there, I probably seem to be way more angry there than I actually am.