(shouting)

8 Powers - Let's Mario it up in gimmickless gimmick town

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Slit08

8 Powers - Let's Mario it up in gimmickless gimmick town

Post by Slit08 »

Hey there guys,

after a long and hard journey to the exotic horse island, inhabited by only the most stupid and masochistic of all green horses, rao the cow returns back to well-known land. Well... except that it is not that well-known. A nameless adventure in a nameless landscape begins as unheard words echoe through the lifeless forests of a rainy plane, names that were never spoken and a call that is never answered whisper hopeless in a dark rainy night.
This and much, much more awaits us in the new Japanese SMW hack, played by raocow. Unfortunately I don't have any download link, so maybe someoene else (preferably raocow himself) can post it here. All that is known about this hack at this point is that it seems to be pretty gimmicky.
Fun times lie ahead!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
CM30

Re: _________ - Let's Mario it up in nameless gimmick town

Post by CM30 »

Oh yes, this hack. It's pretty cool later on, although you're right that the intro is a bit slow. If raocow chooses the down path next, he's going to find a pretty interesting gimmick, since it's actually going to lead to a ghost house and those have their own distracting visual gimmicks in this hack. The level to the north of where the video stopped is the world 1 boss level, there's one of these per world and these introduce the custom bosses the game has.

Also, because someone on Youtube wondered, the music from the rainy level is Hometown Domina from Legend of Mana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5kpd6Swmk

Carol included in his addmusic songs, hence why Japanese hacks use it.

The first level music is the Romancing Saga Vanguard music used in Brutal Mario, also bundled with an old addmusic version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQb3obc5Nxw

It's just that carol's one is really quite poor quality and sounds really calm and relaxing compared to the original.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

How many worlds does this game has anyway? Is it a full 8 world hack or is it a shorter game with only like 3 or 4 worlds?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I'm probably just imagining things, but did that first level feel like a thinly-disguised Yoshi's Island 1 edit to anyone else?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The power of eight, I thought (ie collect the eight magical doo-daas).
CM30 wrote: The first level music is the Romancing Saga Vanguard music used in Brutal Mario, also bundled with an old addmusic version:

It's just that carol's one is really quite poor quality and sounds really calm and relaxing compared to the original.
Yes it's a shit port but you're not even close.
dont wanna jihad no more
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

CM30 wrote: The first level music is the Romancing Saga Vanguard music used in Brutal Mario, also bundled with an old addmusic version:

That's Treasure of the Rudras music. Specifically Riza's boss music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfST-dLgGcQ

Though it seems a bit altered.

CM30

Post by CM30 »

Oh yeah, got mixed up there. No big deal, both ports are kind of mediocre and both are from the days of carol's addmusic.

But this hack has 6 worlds. You've got the forest one, the second forest one, the ice one, the ocean, the island to the right and the sky world (cuts out before the boss). The boss on the island is a bit of a disappointment, I'll tell you that much.

Also, the red tiles on the overworld aren't that meaningful in this game, only sometimes do they seem to lead to a secret exit.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Considering these hacks, I half-expected the coins in the first level to kill you. But it looks like it's starting simple and plain.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Looks like a typical Japanese hack so far. By that logic, I'm expecting the last few levels to be wonderfully gimmicky and the rest of the hack to be a mediocre romp to get to that point.

All things considered though, it's nice to see something SMW related again.
vgboy

Post by vgboy »

I'll probably do a full translation later, but for now, the first video.

Intro
I want you to gather the energy from eight power spots.
...Well, give it your best shot!
~Author~

Author's House
~Info 1~
Stages with a "?" mark are No Yoshi zones.
Stages with a "[Keyhole]" mark have secret goals.

~Info 2~
Capes are disabled in stages with a "∀" mark and in Power Spots.

Stage 1: Koopa Road

Stage 2: Zag-Zig
Zag-zig...
Slide with the Down button!
~Author~

Stage 3: Rainy Forest

And the other stage that isn't OVER DURN is Prickly Spikes. I WONDER WHAT TILESET THAT LEVEL HAS
Cup

Post by Cup »

Does anyone else die after the world two boss?

Also the game has a difficulty rating readme with kanji! Oyster would be overjoyed! It honestly does help so much with context.
limepie20

Re: 8 Powers-Let's Mario it up in formerly nameless gimmick town

Post by limepie20 »

I've only seen raocow's video from today, but I sure hope there will actually be gimmicks soon. I love japanese gimmick hacks, but the problem is there aren't any yet, and this guy's level design seems pretty tasteless.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

"What are all these Koopas doing here?" in a level called "Koopa Road". Man raocow, you need to learn some Japanese Mario names.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

I'm with Lime to the Pie on this one, bring on the gimmicks because the level design is less than stellar right now!
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:Considering these hacks, I half-expected the coins in the first level to kill you. But it looks like it's starting simple and plain.
I fully expected that collecting coins in the level would cause you to die the second you touched the goal post.
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:Considering these hacks, I half-expected the coins in the first level to kill you. But it looks like it's starting simple and plain.
Nah, coins killing you comes later. Literally, this game has its own version of the land of communism.

Also, there are a few 'minor' bugs raocow should probably watch out for. Two of these are in the second world boss level, so something will need to help raocow get past that point since there's a problem that could really affect his run. Also, there are some unfinished levels because this is apparently a work in progress and Japanese hacking sites don't 'moderate' submissions. If raocow comes across some, don't bother with them, they're not done and will mess things up if 'beaten'.

Oh, and this hack uses a lot of the same music as Brutal Mario. Probably because most of Brutal Mario's music is literally just the stuff from carol's addmusic.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Yeah, I know he knows its a WIP, but there is a nasty bug at the level mentioned which is pretty much mission critical and will completely halt the LP unless he somehow finds a way to bypass it.
Yoshi-kun83

Post by Yoshi-kun83 »

Looking about the early areas, there seem to be few areas where you can actually use Yoshi, as most of the time the horse is blocked out. There is an easily exploitable box at the very start of a stage that drops capes, so if it comes to it there's a simple cape farm spot there. Not many levels block out flying, so a bunch of them you could just fly over if desired. There is also one boss who is simple enough to defeat, but is everywhere it seems.

Of course, this is all based off of my first look at the game, having only played a bit of the early parts.
[As for what path to take...]

Going down from the first split seems to be the ideal first path to take.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I'm going to be slightly bothered by the title of that power spot and come up with my own explanation for it. "DURN" does not really seem like anything at all, so I'm assuming the author tried to transliterate "オーバーダン" and instead probably meant for ダン to actually mean "dan," like the ranking system in Go. So "over dan" would mean that you would literally have to pass beyond the highest ranks you could be classified under, which sounds a lot cooler to me.
(or you could pretend he's from southern USA and is trying to say "darn" but whatever)
can YOU use the packet sauce?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Because it's obviously supposed to be hot, it might be over done (cookery) or over burn (this is making less sense now), or maybe the background's supposed to represent Sunset over Durn Hill (I'm betting this one).
dont wanna jihad no more
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Funny that an English phrase would be so hard to meaningfully translate.
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Aww man, an unfinished hack? I think I'll wait for raocow's second run.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

OVER DURN, huh? More like OVER NOT.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

I'm thinking that OVER DURN is a Japanese style pun, but done with English. Over done + burn = over durn.

Given jigsaw zig zag over there, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.
Yoshi-kun83

Post by Yoshi-kun83 »

Couple of things about the world that raocow left off on, or overworld music land...
They are things you will find out on your own pretty quickly, and in one case might actually be told in-game, but in-case you want it to be a surprise...
So, when you come up to Leaf and Plant, that level seems like it's finished, but doesn't have anything to lead to I guess, so after finishing the level, instead of a goal you get a death. The red dot that is not a cave in the second world is a get no coin level, which I assume the speakerbox at the start tells you. Everything is fair play but coins. And there will be two paths to take in the world, both leading to the same spot.