(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
TomPhanto

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by TomPhanto »

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2 ... BDraft.ips

Hopefully, this level meets expectations now.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

It is neither enjoyable or memorable.

Design: Why is it a no vertical scrolling level? You have much more room above everything that you are not using. Your level is only 12 screens long(don't go too far above 16 if you can help it) and make use of only the bottom of the screen. You have room, try to experiment with it. You should definately try adding some more open area, like a platform ride that lasts a while.

Try not to underuse a gimmick. The on/off switch is quite frivolous as it changes one thing, and that thing is quite easy to begin with.

Layer 2: Why is most of the ground Layer 2? if you are not using a layer 2 gimmick don't use layer 2 as terrain. In layer 2 mode select all your layer 2, Press Ctrl+X, switch to layer 1 Mode, then Ctrl+V. Then you can use a level mode that allows a background.

Graphics: It should be easy to make something abstract, and you could probably use something already in the Rom.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I made a switch palace level! Go to the parrot house and enter the door to play it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Whoa, wait. You don't have a switch palace level claimed. FB is open if you would like that.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Oh woops, didn't realize that there were slots reserved for the switch palaces. Sure I'll take FB, thanks!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt:
I'm not sure I really liked the first half of that level, but I'm glad to say that at about screen 7 and on, I thought it was really fun. The difference between the two halves is that the first one felt like small segments that reuired precise timing while the second one was all about platforming. The whole precise timing thing wasn't really fun, and the obstacle at screen 5 was especially annoying. My suggestion to you is to keep the small introductory parts (about screen 00-02) and get rid of everything between that and the part I thought was fun. Then, add on about another 4 screens at the end to compensate for the length. Try not to have the ending be based on timing. You can throw some enemies into the mix and see what happens.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Glad you enjoyed it! Most of the timing parts were added as an afterthought, so I've removed the filler and kept the obstacles I liked the most. Also now the beginning can be rushed through if the player knows what they're doing. I tried adding a few enemies too, including a new enemy-focused end section.

Here's the new version!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt:
I had a lot of fun with this level again, and I think it was definitely changed for the better. I'm not sure exactly how I felt about the very last obstacle. By that I mean the two gas bubbles right at the end. The rest seemed like fine, fair obstacles, but I just couldn't figure out how to get past those last two without taking a hit. I had it work once by chance. I could just be bad - maybe someone else should try as well to get another opinion - but I felt like that obstacle was unfair. Overall, good job though. It is very satisfying to get past one of those moving block barrages.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

I guess I should post a playable version of my level.

-The lunatic difficulty is unfinished, so I blocked it off, but it should still be possible to hear the music.
-every coin and chest should still be possible to obtain
-still need to animate the lava
-I will get lunatic finished up very soon
-have fun, and have a cookie if you get the reference.

The temple of Yatagarasu
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

shdwdrgnx
Normal Mode :

Too many unecessary coins. Not that big of a deal but at the part where there's three podoboos I'd suggest removing all these coins and possibly just putting some where the podoboos are.
Are the two flowers on top of a turn block a powerup filtration? If so, there's no need for one because Demo gets unpowered at the start of every level.
I got killed after the end pipe because the camera was set too high.

Hard mode :
The flying part is kind of silly compared to the rest of the sublevel, at least starting from where you have to turn around halfway.
chose.jpg
chose.jpg (6.26 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
I didn't notice this tofu block at all because it is too similar to the red blocks, and got sent through that spike. Is this intended?
Also about that room as a whole, I have no idea what you expect from me. I smashed some invisible blocks and then......??? If you're supposed to get to that turn block while still having the mushroom I didn't find how.
Midpoint sends you back to the normal mode midpoint, though that should be easily fixed with the Multi-midpoint thing

The rest of the sublevel didn't feel that bad difficulty-wise, maybe even too easy? Except, as I said, that flying section that seems kind of out of place. Maybe that's just because I'm terrible at flying though.

Another thing, what is the lunatic mode going to unlock? If it's a secret exit, I think it'd be better to swap the "rewards" of Hard mode and Lunatic mode around, because chests are supposed to be more "optional" than secret exits.

I didn't get the reference !!!
Last edited by Jesuiscontent 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

shdwdrgnix:
First I'd like to say that I really liked the graphics in this level. The fire in the background was great, and the metal pipes and lava fit very well with the overall theme of the level. The whole different difficulty idea was very cool as well. I don't see the point in not having an easy mode though. You should make a level for that too instead of just giving them a free finish. I know the lunatic part isn't finished, but what was the prize for that gonna be?

There were technical errors here and there that need to be fixed. A lot of palettes were very odd like the falling platform, thwomp, and dry bones. Also in a lot of sublevels the screen starts above demo and has to scroll down at the beginning. To fix this, change the level entry settings "Layer 1, 2 Initial Position" C0 & C0 for the screen to start low. I also felt you used way too many cement blocks. Cement blocks should be used very sparingly. Find some other graphics to take their place.

I thought the level could be a lot more fun if it wasn't so cramped. Most of the level was in a very small space and not as fun as it could've been. In addition, a lot of obstacles were secluded. For example, you would have one small section where you hit invisible blocks to climb up higher. We've seen this same obstacle before and is kind of boring on it's own. You should design the level so multiple enemies or blocks work together as one obstacle to make the overall experience feel more creative and original. I'm not saying you should redesign the level, but you should open it up and take other enemies or elements of the level and fuse them together in different ways to make something new.
You and this level have potential. I want you to shape this level into something greater.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Normal Mode :

Too many unecessary coins. Not that big of a deal but at the part where there's three podoboos I'd suggest removing all these coins and possibly just putting some where the podoboos are.

I'll try to remove some of the coins

Are the two flowers on top of a turn block a powerup filtration? If so, there's no need for one because Demo gets unpowered at the start of every level.

Thats to avoid giving a cape for the rest of the level

I got killed after the end pipe because the camera was set too high.

I will make sure this is fixed

Hard mode :
The flying part is kind of silly compared to the rest of the sublevel, at least starting from where you have to turn around halfway.

I'll make it that there is no consequences if you fail to turn around so you can try again

I didn't notice this tofu block at all because it is too similar to the red blocks, and got sent through that spike. Is this intended?

No, I guess I can make it a little more noticeable

Also about that room as a whole, I have no idea what you expect from me. I smashed some invisible blocks and then......??? If you're supposed to get to that turn block while still having the mushroom I didn't find how.

you need to hit the mushroom block and then take it to the end using the coin blocks, I guess I could put a yellow switch block to make it a little more obvious

Another thing, what is the lunatic mode going to unlock?

chances are it unlocks self-satisfaction, but I can always have the chest there and make coins the hard mode thing

I didn't get the reference !!!

Look up Yatagarasu and look at the level music, or anything involving lunatic path

limepie20 wrote:
I don't see the point in not having an easy mode though. You should make a level for that too instead of just giving them a free finish.

free finish?

A lot of palettes were very odd like the falling platform, thwomp, and dry bones. Also in a lot of sublevels the screen starts above demo and has to scroll down at the beginning.

Will fix this

I also felt you used way too many cement blocks.

I will use less

We've seen this same obstacle before and is kind of boring on it's own.

I used to have twomps there but it felt a little too much like Cool or Cruel

You and this level have potential. I want you to shape this level into something greater.

Glad you enjoyed this, I'll improve it in the morning
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I added on to my Switch Palace level. Right now, I need to ask for people to try it out and provide feedback.
Link

To get to it, go into Parrot's Pad Planning Phase (104) and take the second door next to the switch blocks.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Yo you can't put spoilas and quotes togetha like that
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yes, extremely.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Here's an updated and extended version of my switch palace level. May still be a bit too easy, but now that it's maxed out it's going to be easier to just take out and replace bits that are too easy/dull.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Pheonix:
I feel like this could be more creative overall. The whole layer 2 vertical scrolling has been overdone, and you didn't really do anything new with it. I don't like layer 2 scrolling in general because there is usually a lot of waiting, and it feels like timing puzzles rather than a test of one's platforming skill. If you want to do something with layer 2, you should think of something new to do with it. Maybe think of a way to influence the player, but not have it be direct obstacles like the things that you stand on and the things that block you. If you can come up with something more creative, your level will be much more fun and creative and will look very nice next to the other level you've made for a2mt thus far.
I hope that made sense to you.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:I added on to my Switch Palace level. Right now, I need to ask for people to try it out and provide feedback.
I played your level portion. It took me several tries to beat it, but I managed to do it. The very end is easy, but I was sort of happy for that. You may still want a second opinion about the difficulty of your level portion.

There are some things that bugged me about this level. Not sure how important these issues are, but they still bug me.

1: Is the load time for this level longer than usual? Or is it just me?

2: At this spot
slightconf.png
slightconf.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
There is a platform to the right that you can jump on by spin jumping on the fire. The player may think to ride the fire to the left when they get there the first time (It happened to me).
@Everyone
Just because I gave this level feedback doesn't mean you shouldn't.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Just a little question, When my level is finished, can someone animate my lava in the tweaking thread? Provided that I have the exgfx for the animation.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, sure. Animating isn't too hard, and there will be people (including me) willing to help.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:1: Is the load time for this level longer than usual? Or is it just me?
It's not just you; the reason why I assume is because the level is made up by several tiles in order to make the look of the level. I'm still wondering on how to trim down the amount...
Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:: At this spot
slightconf.png
There is a platform to the right that you can jump on by spin jumping on the fire. The player may think to ride the fire to the left when they get there the first time (It happened to me).
Ah, I see. I'll block it off with a wall then. Thank you for your feedback.
miguel21450

Post by miguel21450 »

Not to be a nitpicker, but my level crashes upon I enter it. I guess you hadn't inserted the music yet?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yep, that will be fixed in the next baserom.

(And if you find any more crahses, please tell us; that is not a nitpick at all.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

When IS that fabled new version is supposed to emerge, anyway.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage