(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by Paralars »

the background area color is like the same color as the hills, which I find somewhat boring.
Also, the background looks like an open area, which I think doesn't fit the switch palace area.
I think it is possible to make a background that looks like a temple/palace/indoors place with the hills graphics, but with this palette it doesn't look like it.

If you made the background color significantly darker, the hills would pop out more and it wouldn't look like a Yoshi's Island 1 type of level, but might look like a really wide cave.

The thing about the red room is just completely my personal opinion, though.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Paralars wrote:the background area color is like the same color as the hills, which I find somewhat boring.
Also, the background looks like an open area, which I think doesn't fit the switch palace area.
I think it is possible to make a background that looks like a temple/palace/indoors place with the hills graphics, but with this palette it doesn't look like it.

If you made the background color significantly darker, the hills would pop out more and it wouldn't look like a Yoshi's Island 1 type of level, but might look like a really wide cave.

The thing about the red room is just completely my personal opinion, though.
I see what you mean! Thank you a lot for this criticism and for not being super harsh with it :P
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Isocitration wrote:My switch room is also ready for testing. It's pretty hard, but I think the difficulty is warranted considering at what point in the game the switches are at. It might also be a bit on the long side, but after playing through a few other levels in the base rom the length seems about average for half a level.
It's a nice looking level, and probably needs to be shortened. I do think the palette might be improve. Also my emulator couldn't open the rom because it's "too big". I don't know why it reads it as too big, it's the same size as the others.
TomPhanto wrote:I'm also designing a switch room, FB to be exact. Just wanted to release a demo and see if I'm going the right direction with it. The music isn't final of course.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2BFB%2BDemo.ips
Well, first of all, the graphic need to be changed and I've only died once(Playing carelessly too). The arrow fits for passageway barriers and don't fit for much else. We also can't use orignal switch place tilesets.

I see the basic idea and I'm not sure it will be easy to design a good level around that. I've had problems with my level because of it's strange gimmick.
frostyfish88 wrote:Well alrightie then, I got the role of making the switch rooms and the room in which you get to pick what switch you want to press...

...So here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?689rha590xycl0c
What paralars says and more

What I didn't like was the choosing room. It felt like nothing was going on.

I also think the colored coins would go well in the final switch rooms. It wouldn't be hard to change the coin Palette so you could have colored coins appear with a P-switch. Of course that right there is just my opinion.

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:It's my switch room, on the level below yoshi's house. I've been having a lot of work to make sure the enemies didn't break the level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1kcmqfar1r6c03t
Please test.
Giant Ninji

Post by Giant Ninji »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:It's my switch room, on the level below yoshi's house. I've been having a lot of work to make sure the enemies didn't break the level.

Please test.
I don't know if it's only me, but those podoboos are near-impossible to get by without getting hurt. The way the level is made - claustrophobic spaces where there is little to no room to dodge stuff - thrown in with relflecting podoboos, is not really a good idea, unless you want countless hours trying to get through the level.

It's up to you, but I really suggest that you bring the (layer 2) ceiling up two tiles, or, if you think that's too much, one. Reflecting Podoboos were made for spacious areas; just like Clappin' Chucks are made to be jumped over, not under' and Hopping Flames were made to be seen, not be in a obscured environment.

It's just a thing a needed to say, though in the end it's up to your choice.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

TomPhanto wrote:I'm also designing a switch room, FB to be exact. Just wanted to release a demo and see if I'm going the right direction with it. The music isn't final of course.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2BFB%2BDemo.ips
Hm, the first part with all the roto-discs, I felt was okay, though I feel like you should do more with it. Like, I felt it was kind of bland to be perfectly honest with you.

And the second part with all the arrow blocks I felt was kind of... well, kind of silly, slightly pointless, and kind of spammy. I feel like you should either make that section more exciting or just take it out altogether.

That's just me though, and I'm not good at giving criticism and stuff and things.

[quote="Septentrion Pleiades""]

Please test.[/quote]

Holy crap your level was hard. I got kind of confused as to what exactly you were supposed to do at a couple of those parts where the ceiling was so low you couldn't really spin jump on top of the thwomps so I resorted to thwomp edging. Also at the end with all the podoboos and the doors, I felt as though you should take out a couple of those (edit: "those" being podoboos). But still I had a lot of fun with your level. Great job.

Also thank you for your criticism Septentrion, I'll try to think of something more exciting to add into the choosing room, although as of right now I see it pretty difficult to add anything. I'll add something if I can think of anything, but as of right now... well I dunno man.

And that sounds like a neat idea that I probably should have thought of... I'll add some P switch action. :P

Thank you!
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:It's a nice looking level, and probably needs to be shortened. I do think the palette might be improve. Also my emulator couldn't open the rom because it's "too big". I don't know why it reads it as too big, it's the same size as the others.
Thanks for testing it. Can you tell me which part of the palette you didn't find that appealing? If I change the palette I'll have to do quite a bit of Exanimation work so if you could be as specific as possible that would be great.

As for the level being too long, I reversed the direction of the boo ring, which makes that section go by much faster and I also altered the final screen so that the solution is much more intuitive. Other than that I don't see a way to shorten it without completely mutilating sections.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Isocitration wrote:Thanks for testing it. Can you tell me which part of the palette you didn't find that appealing? If I change the palette I'll have to do quite a bit of Exanimation work so if you could be as specific as possible that would be great.

As for the level being too long, I reversed the direction of the boo ring, which makes that section go by much faster and I also altered the final screen so that the solution is much more intuitive. Other than that I don't see a way to shorten it without completely mutilating sections.
I'm thinking the palette doesn't fit in well with the other switch places, and that really the only issues I have it.

Also try to make sure your ips is playable next time.

Also, everyone else should remember that the switches are suppose to be endgame difficultly.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Hmm, I tested the IPS and it worked on all emulators. Maybe the download bugged or something.

Well, anyway here's an updated IPS that should definitely work, as I've already had someone test it for me.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68067696/levelFA%20again.ips
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Isocitration wrote:Hmm, I tested the IPS and it worked on all emulators. Maybe the download bugged or something.

Well, anyway here's an updated IPS that should definitely work, as I've already had someone test it for me.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68067696/levelFA%20again.ips
know that I understand your level, I like it a lot more. I felt it was quite hard, and the end was absolutely evil(in a good way). The second gameboy should be necessary for progression like the first. In lunar magic I spotted the a2mt goomba at the top of screen 0A.

About difficulty, mine and Iso's level might need a tune down, but the rest here need a tune up. Remember house of turner from ASMT?

-----------------------

edit:
raocow wrote:yeah, it's worth saying that I kind of expect these particular levels to be 'memorably hard' (though still fun, there lies the challenge!)
Both of the harder levels(121 and FA) aren't your typical 5 bullets at start type of difficulty. I tested another level earlier that has the potential for the difficulty but didn't have the unique feel yet.

I think level Iso's FA should be brought to clearing after some fixes(possibly made slightly shorter) but I'm still unsure about my level, and I might make it short by cutting out some throwps.

Giant Ninji, my level isn't "hours of frustration" hard so I'm keeping the first part as it is.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I apologize for my long absence.
@ Septentrion Pleiades: I loved the look of the level, but I think you should at least change the background to another color or change the outlines of the pipes. It's hard to see when the fireballs will bounce off of the walls, because the outline and the background are the same color. While the level was pretty difficult, I didn't have much trouble with the first part after a bit of practice, although I think a bit more space between the ceiling and the floor would help. If you're trapped with a bouncing podoboo and you're Super, you're probably not getting away without getting hit.

In the section with the Thwomps, the spaces are only three tiles large and that doesn't seem to be enough time for even Small Demo to pass through. I made it through the section as Super Demo by spin jumping on the Sparkies, but I doubt that was the intended way to pass through. Could you add more space between the Thwomp and the floor, please?

Other than that, I thought the level was pretty cool.

@ Isocitration: I really like the look of the level, although the second part was a bit confusing.When the numbers and the X's popped up, I had no idea what they were for until the layer 2 killed me. Also, you can progress through the second part of the level without touching the Game Boy Color. The level was okay in terms of difficulty.

@ frostyfish88: Really like the look of the hub area. In the green switch room, you can see Demo between the pillars and the ground.

@ TomPhanto: The idea is alright, although the level is a bit on the easy side. Also, you might want to make the level look a bit more abstract.

Also, I should post my Switch Palace level (F9) in here for testing, as well.
Click to download F9
Here's a video of the Switch Palace level if you're not interested in downloading it.
Click to see the video.

The following problems have already been addressed:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:1. If you fall before the scrolling starts you fall into a green zone with white boxes before reaching death.

2. It's possible to phase through the second green springy platform if it's near the top of the screen. Don't know if anything can be done about that.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:Also, I should post my Switch Palace level (F9) in here for testing, as well.
Click to download F9
Here's a video of the Switch Palace level if you're not interested in downloading it.
Click to see the video.

The following problems have already been addressed:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote: 1. If you fall before the scrolling starts you fall into a green zone with white boxes before reaching death.

2. It's possible to phase through the second green springy platform if it's near the top of the screen. Don't know if anything can be done about that.
I really liked the look of your level, nice n' abstract without overdoing it, and it had a nice focus. It felt a little... empty to me in some spots. Also the difficulty maybe could be upped just a tiny bit. That's probably just me though. Great job SyStemkraSh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the feedback. Also I'm probably being kind of stupid, but "In the green switch room, you can see Demo between the pillars and the ground."? Hmm, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks again!
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

frostyfish88 wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the feedback. Also I'm probably being kind of stupid, but "In the green switch room, you can see Demo between the pillars and the ground."? Hmm, what exactly do you mean?
On second thought, I may have been thinking of the yellow switch. Here's a photo:
Link to Photo
Basically, the layer priority is off between the pillar and the ground. Either make the floor and ceiling have layer priority or make the pillars have no priority.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:
frostyfish88 wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the feedback. Also I'm probably being kind of stupid, but "In the green switch room, you can see Demo between the pillars and the ground."? Hmm, what exactly do you mean?
On second thought, I may have been thinking of the yellow switch. Here's a photo:
Link to Photo
Basically, the layer priority is off between the pillar and the ground. Either make the floor and ceiling have layer priority or make the pillars have no priority.
Oh, thanks for teaching me something new! I thought that that problem was simply unavoidable, although I guess I probably should have thought of this. Thank you SyStemkraSh!
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

@Septentrion Pleiades

Since you are the only person to give me feedback on my switch palace level I'll give you feedback on yours. The diagonal fireballs are difficult to deal with, but there are tricks to dealing with them, so I think they are okay. However, I have 2 issues with your level.

#1 and most importantly

The first thowmp that is over a block that does not move is so close to the platform that I was unable to get past it unscathed. I found this especially unfair, because you cannot simply run and jump out of there quickly enough which is the easiest way to get there in a situation that looks the about the same. This needs to be changed so that you can just run through it quickly, or at least give the player a break to see what is coming since it is not obvious how to deal with it. I needed tools to figure out how to get past this part.

#2 this may be a personal opinion

I am not a fan of jumping in or out of a 2 block tall tunnel if the risk is death. For me there are jumps that sometimes work, but the same kinds of jumps fail often too. Thus I find these easy to screw up. However, you do only have this once in the level. A picture is included of the part that I am refering to.
2tall.png
I would recommend making the tunnels taller or make it so you don't die because of this.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Let's try this again, shall we?
This time there's a few more actual enemies?? Not sure if this is difficult enough, but it's more than just waiting for the correct time to maneuver around layer 2 platforms now, I guess.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Pheonix wrote:Let's try this again, shall we?
This time there's a few more actual enemies?? Not sure if this is difficult enough, but it's more than just waiting for the correct time to maneuver around layer 2 platforms now, I guess.
I played your level. I don't know if I would call this level easy, since it killed me a lot. It may be hard enough if you consider the first attempt at it, since knowing how the timing is going to work in advance was the only way I was able to get through.

Now on to something else.

Please test my switch palace portion.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:Please test my switch palace portion.
I really really like your switch palace portion a lot. I honestly don't have anything to say about it other than it was really really fun and I liked the graphics a lot. Oh, also at that place where you bounce from the pitching chuck to the red koopa guy in screen seven, the red koopa guy didn't spawn for me the first time so I got kind of confused at first until I realized "hey shouldn't a guy be there".

Great job again MarkerMMan.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

pheonix:
Surprisingly, the atmosphere is very calm because of all the safe spots and maybe the colour, I don't know.
I think it's respectably hard, you often run into situations where the layer 2 position gets you killed, but you can avoid that by quick thinking or knowing what's ahead.
I like the level design.
What I really dislike, though, is the time limit, because the whole design forces you to take your time.
Sure, it's possible to beat in time, but you will definitely get into the <100 zone no matter what.
Maybe the time limits for the sublevels will be mixed together later, so that might not be your responsibility anyways.
Apart from that, the pencils look really ugly in this environment, especially at the bottom and then there is this part where the buzzsaw (you should consider making them blue) falls onto a layer 2 object and it's not really obvious how they will interact and where it will land.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

pheonix: I originally replied in the wrong

1. Layer 2 and sprite interact: The fire saws pass through through layer 2, and at the first one, it looks like you expect the player to take advantage of that. Either make it clear layer 2 doesn't interact with sprites(a lot of work) or allow sprite interaction with layer 2(easy and makes more sense). You have sprite bouyancy enabled in this level that prevents proper interaction with layer 2. To enable the interact click on the lakitu head in lunar magic, and uncheck obvious block.

2. Waiting for layer 2 is sort of boring. Just keep this in mind, not much to do about it.

3. Blue coins appear in one location. Don't feature a gimmick once, even a small one. Put more coins like that, and you will be the third switch level to feature colored coins like this.

4. Just A small suggestion, see spoiler
lookatthat.png
You can make your level look scary and more organic by making nonflat spikes surfaces

----------------

We should definitely make color matching coins a recurring theme everyone. Best collaborative SMW hacking switch level project ever!
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

@Sept
I just saw the picture when you were on the ground. you fell in the ground because of the watermelon part right?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Yes, walk from the left of it and you too can fall through floors.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

A few little things. Added a few coins to the level to help a little to guidance (and one example which I hope helps with actually timing stuff, maybe), actually went and did something with the pencils so that they don't look completely out of place, and added something that maybe shows that layer 2 doesn't care about sprites (although given how some of the stuff is done the other option was sadly not really too usable, not without changing up a whole bunch of stuff at least). I've also gone and forced time to 0 in the level, since I don't know how the whole time thing is going to be done and all.

edit: this one should actually be the right one
Last edited by Pheonix 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Pheonix wrote:[url=http://db.tt/MGv6qbbQ]
That's the same IPS you posted last time.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

I'm due for an update. Again it's sublevel FB for the switch palaces. Again this is just a demo. Again, the graphics aren't final. However, I changed the concept to something that may work more nicely. I'll just see what you guys think.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2BFB%2BDemo.zip
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Pheonix wrote:A few little things. Added a few coins to the level to help a little to guidance (and one example which I hope helps with actually timing stuff, maybe), actually went and did something with the pencils so that they don't look completely out of place, and added something that maybe shows that layer 2 doesn't care about sprites (although given how some of the stuff is done the other option was sadly not really too usable, not without changing up a whole bunch of stuff at least). I've also gone and forced time to 0 in the level, since I don't know how the whole time thing is going to be done and all.

edit: this one should actually be the right one
It's a bit shorter than the other switch places submitteed, only 10 screens (16 screens seems to be the normal size). It's also a bit on the easy side actually. Try to experiment with new ways the endanger the player with the room you have.

Visually, there is just one thing the bothers me. The layer 2 looks like it should be more solid than the layer 1. This can affect how the gameplay fills. I think the dashes you use might look better one layer one, or you can make layer 2 a lighter color. I think you should consider making a more interesting color theme overall if you try that. Page 36 of Direct Map16 Access even has light blue coins. This paragraph is mostly artistic suggestions so don't worry about it to much.

You have a single koopa in a place that easy to overlook. I think the sparkies actually drive the layer 2 point across better. Don't use an enemy only once.

Also, you should have made a new post, I didn't notice the new link until today.
TomPhanto wrote:I'm due for an update. Again it's sublevel FB for the switch palaces. Again this is just a demo. Again, the graphics aren't final. However, I changed the concept to something that may work more nicely. I'll just see what you guys think.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2BFB%2BDemo.zip
It is quite easy, going just by gameplay. I consider this level to not have found an identity yet, so it's hard to judge. You need to have interesting ideas, which I haven't seen any of.