(shouting)

Switch Palaces!

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Re: Switch Palaces!

Post by Frozelar »

limepie20 wrote:If he wants to make that room as well.
Awesome! So it should pretty much just be a room with four different colored doors (blue, yellow, red and green)? Just give me a level number and I'll start on that right away as well!

Thank you! :D
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Thanks, I gave you AB.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Alright, got F9 done for the most part.
Link to see a video.

EDIT: I think I'd better put this up for testing; I don't know if the level is too difficult or unfair.
Click to download.

In order to test the level, go into Parrot's Pad Planning Phase (Yoshi's House) and take the second door.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Based on the video, it looks kickin' rad. I'm not very good at playing with a keyboard, but I might try playing it anyway.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:EDIT: I think I'd better put this up for testing; I don't know if the level is too difficult or unfair.
Click to download.
1. If you fall before the scrolling starts you fall into a green zone with white boxes before reaching death.

2. It's possible to phase through the second green springy platform if it's near the top of the screen. Don't know if anything can be done about that.

Although this probably should have been put in testing and development, You should post in clearing next when you feel you addressed these issues.
SyStemkraSh5642

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:1. If you fall before the scrolling starts you fall into a green zone with white boxes before reaching death.
Ah, nice catch. It's been fixed.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:2. It's possible to phase through the second green springy platform if it's near the top of the screen. Don't know if anything can be done about that.
If it leaves the bottom of the screen, it'll disappear as well.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

We seem to have some disconected on the difficult of the switch levels. Two switch levels have been tested that have ASMT world 7-8 Difficuly, and are 16 screens long. The rest are easier and shorter. I wouldn't even call systemcrash's level endgame difficult, but it's half a level.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah, it's worth saying that I kind of expect these particular levels to be 'memorably hard' (though still fun, there lies the challenge!)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

So umm, I'm dropping my switch palace level after all. Jolpengammler pretty much did what I was trying to do but managed to make it much prettier and much harder, so I don't think I was going to get accepted anyhow. :(

Slot's open!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Cirno wrote:So umm, I'm dropping my switch palace level after all. Jolpengammler pretty much did what I was trying to do but managed to make it much prettier and much harder, so I don't think I was going to get accepted anyhow. :(

Slot's open!
Hey, don't drop your level because you don't think you can make a good one. I can understand if you don't have the time, but this is the perfect chance to improve your level design skill by having a bunch of people critique your level until it is up to scale with the others. If you don't think your gimmick will work, try another one. In fact, I highly recommend thinking of something more creative; that'll make your level more memorable. Give it a second thought before you decide to stop.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Cirno, I want you to make a better level than "Dark Zone"! If you don't even try I feel bad
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Hmm, well all right, I won't drop for now, then... I'll try to think of something more creative, but we'll see if I can come up with anything.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

How will mid-points be dealt with? If both portions of a level are difficult it would make a lot of sense to have one between the portions of a level.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, don't put any midpoints in your level.
MetalicNugget

Re: Switch Palaces.

Post by MetalicNugget »

kilon wrote:While we are away from the MK, which is synonymous with Mario, the title still is
A Second Mario Thing
So it's okay to have similar things sometimes. But if someone can come up with an alternative for the switch palaces, feel free to share it with us.
I haven't read all of the posts to know if a decision's been made b ut my idea is have switch towers.Including the switch selection idea mentioned earlier.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I've been mulling over this, but I'll have to drop my Switch Palace sublevel. I have much less free time than I was expecting to have, and I still have not hashed out an interesting gimmick or idea for it.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

I could re enter it, because all exams are over and stuff I got some freetime!
Also got a little bit of an idea...
Also a question if you let me re enter, what do I do, if I use exgfx and/or a custom map16 page do i have to claim it somewhere in the forums?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I gave you level 123.
Claim things in the signups thread.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

I'm going to have to give up my sublevel. I've lost interest, plus I can't think of any interesting gimmicks that would work.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

Here is a thing... I know it needs to improve a bit, but the main idea? Is it ok?
Level 123
SyStemkraSh5642

I like the idea of the level. It's challenging, but it's good for World 9's difficulty. However, I don't like the use of the bullet bill generator since it's completely random in where it shoots its bullets. I'm not asking you to take it out, but can you try the level with and without the generator? Also, the level's length is short compared to the other levels, so it'd be good to add onto it until you hit screen 0F.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

Progress!
I removed the Bullet Generator, because it was getting too chaotic. I longered the level to 0F screens, also some minor changes. (better enemy placement)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Jolpengammler:
I definitely liked the aesthetics in this level. The only thing I'm not sure about though is the background. The foreground makes sense, but the background is just random crosses moving up and down, and it just feels like a forced abstract aesthetic. The up and down movement especially because it's just moving up and down because it can. Either way, this is an extremely nitpicky and insignificant complaint, so only replace the background with something more creative.
Alright, now I will talk about things that actually matter. I thought the level design was pretty good for the most part, but there was just this one little part that I didn't like. That section on screen five with the one tile blocks and the lava lotus was extremely frustrating. It seems like there are no safe spots, and the only way to get through is by going fast or getting lucky. I really didn't like that one part; it just seemed unfair.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

I hate making backgrounds, they look stupid or don't fit or are just as shitty as these crosses.
I have no clue what I should do about the bg. Maybe someone could help me here?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Maybe a simple checkerboard pattern? Squares and rectangles have a way of looking good. Maybe a diagonal based pattern would contrast with your terrain. Stick to geometric designs if you can't draw something good.

I haven't played it yet since I'm in a library.