Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
tenta
First name: Alex

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by tenta »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Well, hiding the secret better would still be faithful to the level
How ever did this become the most controversial level?
HE won't know there is a secret until he reach the end no? And he still have to search where is it and how to go there. lol
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Honestly, it's likely he will know about the secret as soon as the current broken ceiling is on the screen.
tenta

Post by tenta »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Honestly, it's likely he will know about the secret as soon as the current broken ceiling is on the screen.
How will he know that there is a continuation at the top left and that you have to use a p-switch there? Anyway the chest even is hidden abover the big question mark.
tenta

Post by tenta »

Come on Sept... I want to finally clear my level. Lol. Its been forever.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

One easy change you should make before you post is the fire flower by the P switch. It seems unneccessary.

Another issues that was that bothers my is the coin path below the red koopa(see picture in previous posts). It should lead to land.

FIx these things and you can post striaght in clearing. I cannot clear this being a normal member and all.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Here is my post for my half of a switch palace level. Here is what I have made so far. YES I know the pipe at the end is ugly and it WILL be fixed before this level is turned in.
3 questions remain

Is this difficult enough?
Is there anything I may have missed or misunderstood about the switch palaces?
Do we need to worry about the dragon coins and treasure chest stuff in the switch palaces?
Attachments
A2MTswitchmarker.ips
(452.17 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Alright team! Back from vacation, and back with progress~
Spoiler'd
Opening:
The attachment 105.PNG is no longer available
Inside Bonus Castle~
105.PNG
105.PNG (264.7 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Level Designer Lane: [Not finished yet]
18b.PNG
18b.PNG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
This will then go back into the castle for a quick sublevel where you'll be able to either go find the chest, or come back outside and progress into a court yard or something with the following much like the level designers:
ASM:
Chdata
Diortem
Chibikko
Alex

Graphics:
Terry von Feleday
Paralars

Music:
Wyatt
Chrom1um
SNN
moose
rockdet
Paralars
Spitznagl

Writers
-MoneyMan
-chdata
-Servant
-Moniker
-Joelcll

Editors
-Diortem
-Paralars
-flameofdoubt
If anyone has anything they'd like to add, then please let me know on skype at profdemetri@hotmail.com, as I'm on that more then I'm on the talkhaus. If I don't get any messages, then I'll just carry on doin' what I'm doin' lol
Happy hacking guys!
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

looking good man, looking real good. :)

I don't understand the category "editors", though. What does that mean?

Oh, and I just noticed you wrote AshanmarilL, it's just one L
Last edited by Paralars 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:Here is my post for my half of a switch palace level. Here is what I have made so far. YES I know the pipe at the end is ugly and it WILL be fixed before this level is turned in.
3 questions remain

Is this difficult enough?
Is there anything I may have missed or misunderstood about the switch palaces?
Do we need to worry about the dragon coins and treasure chest stuff in the switch palaces?
It seems too difficult. Can you even pass it without savestates? Enemy placement seems to be mostly base on killing the player at death passages. It should be playable at a much more organic way.

Many of the enemies don't fit at all with the aesthetics. Clouds definitely stick out in this sort of place. Also, the moles do not fit at all, and are a cheap death as it's impossible to comprehend what is happening beforehand. You should consider changing theme of the enemies.

The purple block arrow wouldn't be necessary if you didn't put a place to land on up there.

Also, you should end the level with a door(this was decided as the method of ending switch half-levels) so don't worry about the pipe.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:It seems too difficult. Can you even pass it without savestates? Enemy placement seems to be mostly base on killing the player at death passages. It should be playable at a much more organic way.

Many of the enemies don't fit at all with the aesthetics. Clouds definitely stick out in this sort of place. Also, the moles do not fit at all, and are a cheap death as it's impossible to comprehend what is happening beforehand. You should consider changing theme of the enemies.

The purple block arrow wouldn't be necessary if you didn't put a place to land on up there.

Also, you should end the level with a door(this was decided as the method of ending switch half-levels) so don't worry about the pipe.
Yes, I can beat this without savestates. It took me several tries, but I beat it. The arrow is there to let sprites through, not the player without using a sprite block.

The directions said end or post game difficulty (I forget which). Have you played limepie's level or one of raocow's two levels? Those are MUCH harder than what I have.

However, I guess it could be fun to alter the asthetics of some blocks and enemies a bit. Also I will add coins and other things to make blind jumps less blind.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote: Yes, I can beat this without savestates. It took me several tries, but I beat it. The arrow is there to let sprites through, not the player without using a sprite block.

The directions said end or post game difficulty (I forget which). Have you played limepie's level or one of raocow's two levels? Those are MUCH harder than what I have.

However, I guess it could be fun to alter the asthetics of some blocks and enemies a bit. Also I will add coins and other things to make blind jumps less blind.
I was talking about this arrow, and how you don't need to allow the player up there.
arrow.png
arrow.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
It was already determined that "Further over there" is too hard so we can't compare to that one, but I remember "betrayal rock" being much less deadly. You should try to rely less on bottle-necking the player into death and allow more flexible gameplay. It is possible to keep the difficulty up, but it will be quite fun if you can pull it off.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

I took what I was told and modified my level based on the feedback.

@Septentrion Pleiades
That arrow was originally designed to show that you need to go straight down to be safe since it was a blind drop.

Rushing can make it easier to get past the moles. In a lot of my test runs after jumping on the red parakoopa I often went under the baseball chuck and it is a clear run from there. If you jump up the stairs right you should be able to get to spot where nothing can hurt you.
Attachments
A2MTswitchmarkerver2.ips
(452.14 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

The arrow could be replaced by a barrier that prevents you from going up there. Also my problem with moles was that they were too confusing(fixed now), not hard to get by.

New stuff: The clouds are quite nice now, but I think transparency between the lines instead of black would make it look perfect. A lot of your enemies seem out of place, graphically, but I'm sure you can fix that easily.

Design flaws: You should consider making a nicer beginning. It's unlikely that the music for the switch places will start on such a dramatic note so your level shouldn't either. Screen 08-09 has empty a huge empty space if the player decides to go up. Avoid using certain types of enemies only once.

Finally, I would like to say that you should try making it less linear, as switch palaces are traditionally puzzles in hacks. It doesn't even have to be a puzzle, but do something more than left to right.

This is the most developed level for the switches we have so far, and we should really get some of the leadership to comment on what's being done right.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote: Design flaws: You should consider making a nicer beginning. It's unlikely that the music for the switch places will start on such a dramatic note so you level shouldn't either.
Aren't the 2 music choices that are narrowed down in rule#2 of the switch palaces forum relatively dramatic?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:Aren't the 2 music choices that are narrowed down in rule#2 of the switch palaces forum relatively dramatic?
Neither of them of the death right away types, and compared to SMW boss music, are quite tame.
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

Level 107: Glitched running GFX
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

...Yeah, there's a lot of glitched graphics in my level for some reason. They weren't there in the testing or development, so something had to go wrong on insertion.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Glitched graphics could either be caused by one of two things:

1. Someone (in their infinite wisdom) overwrote ExGFX files or Map16 reserved by other people in the ROM. As long as someone has kept a base ROM archive handy, this should be fairly simple to fix.
2. The ROM is getting too full, and as such, something like levelASM is overwriting ExGFX files. Having taken a look at the base ROM, this seems like it could be likely. It can typically be fixed by extracting and reinserting graphics, but the best solution would be that transfer to a fresh ROM which is (apparently) being worked on.

Hopefully it's the first one.
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

I think the graphics are glitched because you overwrote SP1 with something entirely different. (SP1 contains running particles and other important stuff)
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

It's my switch room, on the level below yoshi's house. I've been having a lot of work to make sure the enemies didn't break the level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1kcmqfar1r6c03t
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

My switch room is also ready for testing. It's pretty hard, but I think the difficulty is warranted considering at what point in the game the switches are at. It might also be a bit on the long side, but after playing through a few other levels in the base rom the length seems about average for half a level.

The level on the overworld you'll want to play is Yoshi's House.

Also it's based on the WtH2 room in this video: http://youtu.be/vMhosqEp9Ek?t=3m45s

Anyway, download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68067696/LevelFA.ips
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

I'm also designing a switch room, FB to be exact. Just wanted to release a demo and see if I'm going the right direction with it. The music isn't final of course.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/A2MT%2BFB%2BDemo.ips
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Well alrightie then, I got the role of making the switch rooms and the room in which you get to pick what switch you want to press. To access my content, just go to "PARROT'S PAD" and walk to the right until you come to a pipe that's just kinda there. Also they're completely vanilla (OH NO), I'm just a vanilla type person I guess.

Also I didn't touch the music at all because the switch palace music is universal. That IS what I was supposed to do right?

So here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?689rha590xycl0c

Man. I'm preeetty nervous. Man.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

The rooms are very nice and unique, I like that vibe of arbitrary safe platforming in a no-challenge reward area.
The music should probably be changed to support the different themes even better.

What I don't like, personally, is the glowy tile between background pipes in the yellow room (it looks glitchy) and the background palette in the red room (it's flat and looks too much like an open area)

Very creative choconilla (we still need a word for that) use, by the way ;)
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Paralars wrote:The rooms are very nice and unique, I like that vibe of arbitrary safe platforming in a no-challenge reward area.
The music should probably be changed to support the different themes even better.

What I don't like, personally, is the glowy tile between background pipes in the yellow room (it looks glitchy) and the background palette in the red room (it's flat and looks too much like an open area)

Very creative choconilla (we still need a word for that) use, by the way ;)
Okay, so I'll change the yellow switch room's background completely.
Hmm, how would I change the palette to not look "flat" and "too much like an open area"? Or did you mean the whole background in general and not just the palette?

Also it's all 100% vanilla :P EDIT: Okay, I'm a bit wrong... the springy arrow blocks in the choice room aren't vanilla.

Thanks for the feedback!