(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: Level Clearing

Post by swirlybomb »

Okay, I guess this is worth a shot, plus this thread will probably give me more detailed feedback than the testing thread will by this point.

My apologies, but I couldn't figure out how to port it to baserom 2.5, so it uses 2.4.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14760273/Talkha ... khouse.ips
(The red level on the bottom row; red for identification, not because of a secret exit)

There are some coins during the latter half that often don't appear, and I cannot figure out why. The Blargg room is also a point of contention; I'd like to think it works okay, but it needs to be just right and I'm just not sure if it hits it.
I intend to make the treasure be 'The Moose', which is what the second message box is referring to.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ Swirlybomb
It's an excellent level; I loved the atmosphere and the level wasn't overly hard. I didn't see any problems with the Blarggs, but I saw a problem in this part of the level:
I died here because I had no idea that there was a ceiling here; I thought it was opened up. Can you open up that part of the ceiling, but wall off the sides so that the player can't get on top of the level?

Your level is cleared, as well.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

(sorry this took so long, been busy with abitur and stuff like that, you know.)

Here is Gelatin Factory again, I hope everything is fixed now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3mf210h1bghqta6
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Level Submission
Level: 13B
Name: Irritating...
# Of Exits: 1
Music Slot: 4A
ExGFX?: Nope
Custom Sprites?: Only the Box!
In the Box: I would like a SUN! Yup, because the level is wicked hot, so it only makes sense right? I would draw it, but... I suck at drawing plain and simple haha.

.ZIP Contains:
-13B .mwl File
-IPS File
-Text Document (of pretty much this)

.ZIP Folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?apea3p8b8wyoet0
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Camoslash, you aren't ready to submit your level. It must get cleared first. Post the IPS here and let a clearer test it.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Whoops, my bad haha... Alright here is the IPS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9kgvdwankbd59nl
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Paralars:
I'm gonna start by talking about the level as a whole. I did not like the section of the level with layer 2 scrolling at all. First of all, it felt weird not having the right music (which was weird). Layer 2 forcing the background to be black kinda ruined the atmosphere for me. Maybe it would be better as grey, but I'm digressing. The most important part of a level is the level design, and I did not have fun with the sublevel. It was basically jumping from one gelatin block to another while they scroll up and down. Nothing clever was done with the layer 2 scrolling. In fact, the scrolling itself was more of a detriment to the level design than a boon. The only time it really even affected the player was the part with the upside down lava. It was only used for a few screens and the way it was introduced was quite unfair because if you tried to get all of the blocks right at the beginning, you are basically stuck. The player needs to be introduced to the happenings of the sublevel without any danger, so the gimmick is fair. In my opinion, the sublevel does not improve the player's experience and should be completely redesigned. If you think it can be saved, by all means, go ahead and try to save it. Though, I already explained that it messes with the atmosphere and, in this context, doesn't work well for the level.
In general, the level felt a bit disorganized. The presence of the green breakable blocks did not feel justified and they were just confusing. I don't understand why they were there really. The green blocks with the coins, too. They were especially confusing because they were prevalent throughout the level and I could not figure out their function. Why are they there? They confuse the player.

Now, I'll nitpick. Can't you have the employee of the month sign completely filled in with white. It looks weird with the missing block after the goomba jumps out. Also, I think it may work better if it was a bit later in the level. It comes out of nowhere being the first enemy in the level (but this is completely subjective; leave it if you desire). The hidden springboard in the gelatin is senseless. Nowhere else in the level is anything hidden like that. Just have the pipe accessible normally. And what's with the free life? I have no clue why but when the layer 2 goes as far down as possible, spin jumping makes a bullet bill sound effect. In the third sublevel, I understand having the free life obtainable by using the cloud but all those question mark blocks and especially the coins mislead you to think you can get it without the cloud. It's a secret anyway so why the coins? I don't know how you'd go about fixing this, but I really don't like the small workers only area because it uses an invisible wall. Try not to use one. Also, the chest is easily obtainable by use of cloud. And wrong music in goal area.

Sorry, Camoslash. I'll try to play your level later if someone else doesn't first.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

limepie20 wrote: I have no clue why but when the layer 2 goes as far down as possible, spin jumping makes a bullet bill sound effect.
Cause that's how SMW works
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Argumentable wrote:
limepie20 wrote: I have no clue why but when the layer 2 goes as far down as possible, spin jumping makes a bullet bill sound effect.
Cause that's how SMW works
Man, Nintendo had no clue what they were doing.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Ugh..

ugh.

What am I supposed to do?
I just sat in front of that level for 40 minutes and I had no idea what to change exactly.

I don't have any idea what TheGuyWhoIsSitting went for with this level, I just feel it ought to be finished, I believe he kinda forced himself to get it somwhat done and I think the idea and the graphcis are really cute.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well, my suggestion would be to fix the minor errors, get rid of the confusing blocks, and then replace the layer 2 sublevel with a new normal sublevel.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Thought I should just re-post this lol:

Level: Irritating...

IPS ---> http://www.mediafire.com/?9kgvdwankbd59nl
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I present thee...

http://www.mediafire.com/?i8gi87t6magg0kf

...my level

Still might change it's name though.
SyStemkraSh5642

@ Camoslash:
Your level is okay, but there are a few problems. I constantly saw your lotus fireballs despawn throughout the level because you put 3 of them in the same screen. There are also some occasions where there are layer priority problems such as the fireballs going behind the lava and re-appearing onto the foreground, but that's not too big a deal.
Image.
In this area, a mole can hit you if you're unfortunate enough to fall beside it.
This corridor is too small for Super Demo; raise the ceiling so it isn't.

Other than that, it should be fine.
@ Septentrion Pleiades
I honestly had a harder time in the first part of the level than the second because of the slower scrolling layer 2 grinder logs. I think you should lower some of those logs and make the level easier or give out more power-ups, because I honestly couldn't beat the first part without save-states.

Also, the level felt empty; it seems that you didn't put enough enemies, but instead put grinders everywhere as your only method of trying to kill Demo. It gets old jumping over grinders and avoiding them repeatedly.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Alright, fixed those up, except for the layer thing with the hearts, I didn't really see that much of a problem unless you would like me to fix that I would. Should I post the IPS again? Or is it all set to go?
SyStemkraSh5642

I'd like to give it another try before clearing it.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I made many of the harder jumps easier and completely changed the enemy dynamic of the first part, although it seems to make slowdown. The first part should be much easier because of mushrooms.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gaxnjuib0903nkj
SyStemkraSh5642

@ Camoslash and Septentrion Pleiades: You're both cleared! Camoslash, maybe you can try to make the level a bit less cramped than it is, because it makes playing as Super/Big Demo harder. Septentrion, there's an issue in the second part where if you die, you're frozen. If I remember correctly however, that was because of the song you chose. It was fixed in a later version.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

My level is finally ready to be cleared!

La joie de glisser
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Tenta, you need to post an ips so that the clearers can infact, clear it. Thank you in advance. 8-)
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Progress seems slow. Hopefully that's due to the no IPS thing! Lets get this stuff cleared! :D
SyStemkraSh5642

@tenta:
I'm really liking the level so far. The length is no longer a problem, although there some other problems.
That piranha plant over to the right can actually jump into the ceiling, then jump into the slope. It happened to me when I took the top path.
If you're unlucky or time your fall incorrectly, the goomba can hit you before you see it.
I have no idea where to land from here.
You can't escape from here once you fall in. You can fix this by making the corner tiles and the dirt tile between them solid, like what you did with one of the other tiles.
Thwimp graphics are glitched, but it's minor.

Also, if you throw/waste the P-Switches, the player can get stuck. Lastly, I think you should put one 3-up at the end instead of two.

Fix up those problems, and you're good to go.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

From the arrow puzzle on is my work actually. Aside from his ending. How did you get stuck inside the cement though? I thought I made that impossible. Unless you got there with a cape? If so I removed that but tenta put it back in. Which I told him would break the level. Also I was going to add a reset door, but no one gave me that secondary entrance I asked for. So I just said screw it xD
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Here is my level to be cleared.

Level 10
Heatstroke

I believe it to be a STROKE of genius! HAHAHAHA.

I'll shut up now.

Also, sorry to anyone who is inconvenienced by the .7z format.