(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Wyatt

Re: Level Clearing

Post by Wyatt »

Hmm...I'm definitely comfortable clearing the first half. Gameplay wise I feel it's perfectly fleshed out, and I really was expecting a goal tape where the midpoint was. Try out Paralars' palette though; while I do like the pipes now, I seem to be in a minority, and it'd be dumb to ignore everyone's suggestions. Also, make sure to have 5 parrot coins in the new level!

As for the second half, maybe you could flesh it out into a bigger level? It doesn't feel substantial enough to be a level on its own.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt wrote:Hmm...I'm definitely comfortable clearing the first half. Gameplay wise I feel it's perfectly fleshed out, and I really was expecting a goal tape where the midpoint was. Try out Paralars' palette though; while I do like the pipes now, I seem to be in a minority, and it'd be dumb to ignore everyone's suggestions. Also, make sure to have 5 parrot coins in the new level!

As for the second half, maybe you could flesh it out into a bigger level? It doesn't feel substantial enough to be a level on its own.
That's pretty much how I feel about it... well, aside from liking the pipes.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I made some slight changes so it could be a respectable 2 exit level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rd8f4gnopscu06o
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

so, uhm.
The Gelatin Factory:
It looks like this level was finished and the only thing that was said about it in Clearing was
- looks nice
- theme could be more exploited

and then nothing else ever happened to it.

here it is again
http://www.mediafire.com/?779pzv2tcidk64d
have a look, I think there is no reason not to use this level
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Septentrion Pleiades: Are those pipes that are in now the old pipes or the new palette pipes from paralars? (If they're the old ones I like them and if they're the new ones I never saw the old ones, but either way I like them a lot) Really cool level, nice job. It gets really tricky to work out where the platforms are by the coins, but that's the challenge part so that's fine. The only problem is that it's not immediately obvious that coins denote invisible blocks. I would recommend just at the start putting a jump that is clearly too huge for the player to make, with non-p-switch-enabled invisible blocks and denoting coins. That way the player has to learn that coins = platforms before they start the p-switch run, and when they do they won't be worried that the coins should be blocks and that it's all gone wrong somehow (i figured it out fairly quickly and most people might do as well, but I don't know if that's because of my familiarity with mario hacks, and would just like to make it so that people are sure of what is and isn't the challenge and etc. Also on playing it through again I noticed that you had a green koopa bounce off the new floor so the player can notice it just as they run to the right, which might be an adequate substitute, but seems a bit risky, plus they're panniced because of the p-switch run (I at least didn't notice the green koopa bounced off ground before, or rather, never made the mental connection that ground was there)).
EDIT: Oh, I should have probably mentioned, apart from that change (if you agree it's necessary or useful), you're cleared.

Paralars: Dragon coins need fixing, and it could do with a few more trapped enemy background graphics (not too many, but just having two in the level looks weird, like something was planned but never finished). More could be done with the theme I agree, and it would be nice if we could get more, but unless we can find the creator or you or someone else is willing to work on it, I'm willing to clear it as it is now. It's a jokey level, not very difficult but lots of variety of play.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

It's not like I'm not willing to work on it a bit more, but I don't really wanna participate in this whole process of overextending.
I think it uses some levelasm in the layer 2 part, because it does some weird things there, I will try to export everything into another rom and work around that until it works properly.
Maybe I can even flesh it out a bit, we'll see..
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I decided not to extend the second half of the split level since it was 22 screens. I also felt like the secret room of the original design didn't do the rest of the level justice

http://www.mediafire.com/?g1mu174hx6c85wm

It's the Yoshi's house place on the OW.
Paralars wrote:It's not like I'm not willing to work on it a bit more, but I don't really wanna participate in this whole process of overextending.
I could extend some levels if it just involve adding of what is already available using lunar magic.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I will repost TurboPup's level here; I didn't get opinion last time.
download/file.php?id=5646

Now, the yoshi coins and chest are in here but they aren't visible/interact-able because this is using a dated baserom.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

limepie20 wrote:I will repost TurboPup's level here; I didn't get opinion last time.
download/file.php?id=5646

Now, the yoshi coins and chest are in here but they aren't visible/interact-able because this is using a dated baserom.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
limepie20 wrote:Yo, yo

Phase Out by TurboPup
The yoshi munchers in the lava phase flash like the lava does. It also need to have new dragon coins. I think there was cutoff at screen 0f of level 18, but I didn't noticed it during game play.
I'm not sure if my opinion counts as enough of a thing for clearing, but it thought the level was great. The secret path was had to find, and you wont find it unless you commit to looking in what is the right place.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Septentrion Pleiades: I'm not exactly sure what this level is, and how it relates to the level you were showing previously that was all-but cleared. In any case this is fantastic; it feels a little short for a level to me but by normal mario-game standards it's just right (that's why I ask if it's a standalone level or part of the previous one or..?). You can jump over the goal at the end, and the way the platform drops suggests to the player that there's something below the goal post. Either make it impossible to jump over (difficult because it's by going above the screen that they avoid the goal tape 'barrier'), or put some kind of secret with a springboard below and past the goal tape. Fix that and whatever this level is, it's cleared.

Turbopup C/O Limepie20:
"insantiy" in the first messagebox should be "insanity". Other than that, cleared.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

flameofdoubt wrote:. In any case this is fantastic; it feels a little short for a level to me but by normal mario-game standards it's just right (that's why I ask if it's a standalone level or part of the previous one or..?).
I had an idea to make the level longer, but it won't be as original as my other work. I'll work on that. I'll also more the goal away a bit.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

He did say it was okay though. If you're going to make it longer, that's okay, but make sure it's not, like, tacked on or whatever.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

It think nearly anything really different would ruin the feeling of the level. If anything just extending it to a longer version of itself would be the only thing that would work, but it's already steep in difficulty. Do any of the testers think that my level is already too hard for this? I'm fine with the length if everyone else is.

Note: midpoint won't really work.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Yeah making it longer with no midpoint would just be tedious. The level explores its idea thoroughly, so no need to extend it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I notice a problem with this level.
right now I noticed the the level is easily passed over in some areas. I have to work on making that difficult to do.
capefeather

Post by capefeather »

I guess the message at the beginning is kind of an artifact from when I used a goal sphere at the end. At this point, I think it could refer to the secret treasure box (the one that's supposed to be on every level), but then I still run into the problem of having to put in another message at the end "somehow"... It also made a lot more sense when I was planning a boss and when the last room was just a lava flooding thing. I don't know what to do with the message, and it really represents the communication failures that I have had with this level.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Completely remapped, organized the horrible file mess, minor level changes.
The music will have to be changed, I don't know what could fit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ffe97f3von1efgu
(Gelatin Factory, Yoshi's House tile)

Please check if everything is alright.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

so am I just gonna submit it?
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ Paralars: I'll give it a go when I get the chance, although I can't get to it today.

SyStemkraSh - Lakitrouble in the Lakitundra
This is level 12F, ready for clearing. It's a simple level that you can guess by its name: it's icy and it's full of Lakitu enemies. Be warned, the level is fairly difficult.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Systemkrash:
Well, I didn't really notice any errors. I really liked how lakitus were the only enemies throughout the level (other than the spinies of course). You stuck to a theme and you did it well. The level was hard, but it was hard consistently but still fun in the end. I like the name. I just don't know whether those enemies are actually called lakitus (i.e. our graphical replacement). Either way, I think it's fine and doesn't really matter; I'm fine with keeping the name as is. So yeah, you're cleared. Thanks.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Alright, thanks for clearing limepie.

@ Paralars:
I really enjoyed the idea of the level, but it seemed a bit empty. More enemies in 116 would be better.
When the layer 2 is down all the way, I can stand on it at the bottom and not see what I'm doing.Image
You can jump over the wall here; putting a ceiling would fix this.
The treasure chest is really simple and easy to get. Can you make it challenging to get to?
I think you know what the problem is here.

Also how do you get into the Worker's Area? I'm assuming you can't, since I took a peek at it in Lunar Magic.
Once these problems are fixed, it should be good to go for insertion.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the music is 68 is probably wrong.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I only remapped a 6 months old level, so I don't know what some parts were intended to be like.
The workers area is probably just a tease.
The music will have to be replaced anyway, I just put in the castle music in the one sublevel to have something not as terribly unfitting.
For the treasure chest, I probably have an idea.
I'll fix the rest of the problems and post back.
capefeather

Post by capefeather »

Is it possible to put a message into a level that apparently doesn't have a message slot assigned to it? Or do I need to use an asm patch to do even that? -.-

Anyway, I've gone back to the goal sphere so that maybe I could refer to that as the treasure that the owner somehow lost in his sewers or something. The goal sphere does seem more anticlimactic than the goal tape for some reason, despite just replacing the tape with the sphere. Maybe put ceiling plants in there or something?

This might have been less awkward if I'd actually learned to put up with asm long enough to put a boss down there or something...

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/12461/1a.ips (the link is always the same because I delete and reupload with the same name every time, heh)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Every level has message slots assigned to them. If you are talking about a sublevel, all of your sublevels use the same messages as your main levels.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

capefeather:
Not a bad level overall, but I still think it has a bit of a ways to go before it can be cleared. Keep in mind that this is the first time I've tested your level, so if I'm repeating any bugs from earlier, let me know.

1. The music throughout the level is very glitchy. I don't think this is something you'll personally be able to fix, but take it up with whoever has the TXT (Wyatt?) and I'm sure they can.
2. The midway point is skewed and favors the first half of the level. I'd suggest moving it into the beginning of the vertical room (since players are about 99% likely to hit it BEFORE they enter that room), or make a little side-horizontal room right before you enter the vertical room.
3. Image
Minor complaint, but having red fireballs with green lava looks rather inconsistent.

4. Image
What happened to these guys?

5. Image
This part is really nasty compared to any other part in the level. The two Venus plants up top + the spikes + the Chucks makes this part a nightmare to get through.

6. Image
Slowdown here due to overloading on sprites.

7. Image
Same with here, although six of those shooters actually causes fireballs to not spawn/vanish.

8. Image
You initially can't see these guys coming down from above, leading to a blind hit from their fireballs.

Overall, it's not too bad, but it still needs a bit of polishing.