(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Daizo

Re: Level Clearing

Post by Daizo »

^ yeah, and that wasn't fair that they missed me like 4 times.

Also:
Diddyboy100 wrote:All right, This Should be final!

Changed:
-Removed all text boxes
-Added a danger sign in the beginning of the stage.
-Remove all the pointless parts in The 1st part of The Pit.
-Moved the Tresure Chest.
-Removed Sublevel 5A

Enjoy the level
Re-posting this because we are in the next page.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

Il do like Diddyboy
tenta wrote:Here, changed some things.
Removed some invisible blocks.
Removed a Homing bullet.
La joie de glisser

Reposted in case peoples didn't see it.
yesimbill

Post by yesimbill »

I'm not 100% sure I'm allowed to test levels, but I just played yours Diddyboy.

A few notes about me as a player, I'm horrendous at SMW, not that I don't love it, this is probably 20x harder then SMW in it's entirety, that being said:

I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS!

A few notes all the same, I did some reading, and I know there's some parrot coin problems which are consistant in yours level as well.

I'm extremely new here and I don't fully understand the screne capture thing, so I don't have any, but there are a few coin trail things I want to mention.

There is a parrot coin very early in the level that's on its own separate bounce blox, there is a coin trail that leads right above this, which is great, to where it's safe to land, and I'm not saying add a full coin trail to where the parrot coin is, but maybe a small hint that it's there... (This is totally optional.)

The koopa in the beginning is a *RAGLEFALAGIN'*! But remember, I'm VERY bad at SMW and new to Hacks, so take that as you will...

I love your parrot coin placement, and the length of this level, Small hints that a parrot coin is comming up you might consider.

Your midpoint start is wonderful, and well placed, in my opinion.

As for these jumpy blocks, you force me to spin jump, this is of course fine, but I was consistantly able to cancel my spin jump by hitting the wall below one of these jumpy blocks. (Near one of the first parrot coins to be precise.) Just thought that was odd... it didn't affect how I played the level really, I just liked trying to make myself do it...

Anyway, I really liked the level, hope I'm actually aloud to test levels and what not, it was fun to do! I kinda hope I'm allowed to keep testing.

(These have been my own opinion!)
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

yesimbill wrote:I'm not 100% sure I'm allowed to test levels, but I just played yours Diddyboy.
Thanks for testing it ^^
yesimbill wrote:A few notes about me as a player, I'm horrendous at SMW, not that I don't love it, this is probably 20x harder then SMW in it's entirety, that being said:
Well, It was meant to be difficult so yeah.
yesimbill wrote:I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
yesimbill wrote:A few notes all the same, I did some reading, and I know there's some parrot coin problems which are consistant in yours level as well.
Well, I can't really fix the coin problem so yeah.
yesimbill wrote:I'm extremely new here and I don't fully understand the screne capture thing, so I don't have any, but there are a few coin trail things I want to mention.
Okay, all you have to do is press F1 on ZSNES and press enter on the save snap shot button so yeah.
yesimbill wrote:There is a parrot coin very early in the level that's on its own separate bounce blox, there is a coin trail that leads right above this, which is great, to where it's safe to land, and I'm not saying add a full coin trail to where the parrot coin is, but maybe a small hint that it's there... (This is totally optional.)
No thanks, but yeah, you can remember when you pass it.
yesimbill wrote:The koopa in the beginning is a *RAGLEFALAGIN'*! But remember, I'm VERY bad at SMW and new to Hacks, so take that as you will...
Its just a challenge at the beginning so yeah.
yesimbill wrote:I love your parrot coin placement, and the length of this level, Small hints that a parrot coin is comming up you might consider.
Thank you, you know I've been hacking for a year.
yesimbill wrote:Your midpoint start is wonderful, and well placed, in my opinion.
Thanks, it took me a while to figure out how to get rid of the item in the item box.
yesimbill wrote:As for these jumpy blocks, you force me to spin jump, this is of course fine, but I was consistantly able to cancel my spin jump by hitting the wall below one of these jumpy blocks. (Near one of the first parrot coins to be precise.) Just thought that was odd... it didn't affect how I played the level really, I just liked trying to make myself do it...
Can't fix this ether, I'm sure raocow (or who ever is the leader of the collab) can put a patch into the game.
yesimbill wrote:Anyway, I really liked the level, hope I'm actually aloud to test levels and what not, it was fun to do! I kinda hope I'm allowed to keep testing.
Well, good job (finally non-bad critisim for once)
yesimbill wrote:(These have been my own opinion!)
(well, you did a pretty good job then lol)

tenta

Post by tenta »

Its getting more and more inactive now... What's going on?
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Its mostly because of holidays. My guess is that everything will go back to normal within the next few days.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Well I took a look at Tenta's and Diddyboy's level. I had no issues Tenta's level, but Diddyboy's level probably needs a fix.

First of all the time is 49C. This level shouldn't even need a timer much less have letters in the timer.

The coins seem more like a picture perfect path most of the time then a guiding path. I mostly ignored the coins since trying to trail them got me killed. For example, I got through the long narrow hole with the colorful koopas by sticking to the middle.

These are good levels, so I expect them to be cleared soon after the leaders of this thing respond.

Edit: Also diddyboy's level has a pipe at the beginning of sublevel 4C that really should be used. Right now demo just suddenly appears below the pipe. Make sure your level entrances make since.
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

tenta wrote:Its getting more and more inactive now... What's going on?
As raocow "said" in that video,

The moderators are inactive. Really, I think it would be best to get some more now when we need it. Some people that are for the Level Clearing.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Grr I am now here for level clearing. Sorry about the absence, but I finally have the next two weeks with not a thing to do, so I'll be hella active even if no one else will. What still/needs clearing?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
tenta

Post by tenta »

tenta wrote:Il do like Diddyboy
tenta wrote:Here, changed some things.
Removed some invisible blocks.
Removed a Homing bullet.
La joie de glisser

Reposted in case peoples didn't see it.
This.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

tenta: The screen entrance needs to be changed, so that the screen doesn't scroll down at the start of the level. Really like the background, especially the sky. Very especially the sky! Though the foreground clashes with it a bit because of how simple it is in comparison.

I agree with Wyatt, but of course it's your level and you can do what you want as long as it's good. It is a hard level as you intended, but I take some issue with that difficulty, because it's a frustrating difficulty rather than just challenging. It seems a little bit too easy to put thin, spread out platforms, ice physics, homing bills, invisible blocks, and a constant bullet bill cross generator in there, and then have that be the difficulty, because that's randomness and sloppy mechanics making it hard, not the level design actually being challenging.

If someone dies because of something random or because demo is hard to stop and they just slip off the edge of a thin platform or they get hit by a homing bill while trying to navigate the four or so other frustrating elements...it doesn't make them want to keep trying, it makes them angry and frustrated at the level. A fairly good indicator for what kind of challenge something is is who's fault it is that a player died. If they feel it's their fault, they know they need to improve, but if they feel it's the levels fault, usually because of something random, or a combination of unwinnable elements, they feel cheated and get angry.

Another thing to remember is that all these extraneous and difficult elements; the bullet bills, the platforms, the ice physics, get in the way of the person enjoying any actual level design. The level would be just as challenging if it was just a flat series of 2x1 blocks 4 blocks apart over a pit, so I can't really judge what the level design itself is like, because it's hard to notice how it impacts the level when so much other stuff is constantly going on.

You don't need to make the level easier so much as you need to make it fairer on the player. I get that it's meant to be a short but hard challenge that leaves the player relieved but edgy, however to get that kind of reaction the player needs to feel that the challenge was fair. If they don't feel their skills is being judged fairly, then they won't judge the quality of the level fairly.

Having said that, between the p-switch section and the ice physics and the bullet bills, I quite enjoyed some of the level design, and you certainly know how to make a level whimsical and interesting, as exhibited by the message blocks and the goal tape. If you keep at it and work towards legitimate difficulty, I think you can still make your hard, short level, but it isn't quite there yet.

capefeather: The orange podobos jumping out of green lava isn't a problem, but the orange dripping effect that falls off them is. I don't know how easy it is to change that though, it might use the same palette as the podobos.

I'm a bit confused, when the messageblock mentioned a thwomp collection I assumed we'd at best, have a gimmick about thwomps being in exhibits and maybe escaping, normally, have a level that just revolves around lots of thwomps, and what I actually got was a fairly good, if fairly stereotypical, castle level. Was the thwomp thing what the level was originally going to be about or..?

On the subject of the level it's alright. A decently made castle level with all the normal castle level challenges done well. As a completely vanilla castle there's nothing wrong with it and no criticism I can make. Partly because the early messageblock got my hopes up though I was expecting something a bit different. No doubt this was a good level, and if it was in the original SMW you wouldn't notice it as any different. Just with the hacking tools available these days I always hope to see something that surpasses SMW rather than matching it.

Having said that I can clear it as soon as we sort out what the deal is with that messageblock, and if the podobo splash can be 'fixed'.
tenta

Post by tenta »

flameofdoubt wrote:tenta: The screen entrance needs to be changed, so that the screen doesn't scroll down at the start of the level. Really like the background, especially the sky. Very especially the sky! Though the foreground clashes with it a bit because of how simple it is in comparison.

I agree with Wyatt, but of course it's your level and you can do what you want as long as it's good. It is a hard level as you intended, but I take some issue with that difficulty, because it's a frustrating difficulty rather than just challenging. It seems a little bit too easy to put thin, spread out platforms, ice physics, homing bills, invisible blocks, and a constant bullet bill cross generator in there, and then have that be the difficulty, because that's randomness and sloppy mechanics making it hard, not the level design actually being challenging.

If someone dies because of something random or because demo is hard to stop and they just slip off the edge of a thin platform or they get hit by a homing bill while trying to navigate the four or so other frustrating elements...it doesn't make them want to keep trying, it makes them angry and frustrated at the level. A fairly good indicator for what kind of challenge something is is who's fault it is that a player died. If they feel it's their fault, they know they need to improve, but if they feel it's the levels fault, usually because of something random, or a combination of unwinnable elements, they feel cheated and get angry.

Another thing to remember is that all these extraneous and difficult elements; the bullet bills, the platforms, the ice physics, get in the way of the person enjoying any actual level design. The level would be just as challenging if it was just a flat series of 2x1 blocks 4 blocks apart over a pit, so I can't really judge what the level design itself is like, because it's hard to notice how it impacts the level when so much other stuff is constantly going on.

You don't need to make the level easier so much as you need to make it fairer on the player. I get that it's meant to be a short but hard challenge that leaves the player relieved but edgy, however to get that kind of reaction the player needs to feel that the challenge was fair. If they don't feel their skills is being judged fairly, then they won't judge the quality of the level fairly.

Having said that, between the p-switch section and the ice physics and the bullet bills, I quite enjoyed some of the level design, and you certainly know how to make a level whimsical and interesting, as exhibited by the message blocks and the goal tape. If you keep at it and work towards legitimate difficulty, I think you can still make your hard, short level, but it isn't quite there yet.
Well thanks for the compliment about how i can make a whimsical? and interesting level though its only my 11th level :).

I Removed a lot of homing bullet bills so there is only 5 homing bullet bills now.
Removed the crossfire bullets but i added a normal bullet nill generator at the same zone.
For the P-switch zone, its not hard if you know how to time jumps at the precise place.

That said. Tell me simply what is missing this time and il fix or change it.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

tenta: Could you upload a new version please? It's tricky to just imagine how it will be, and because of the way the level is frustrating, it could suddenly become manageable just from removing one or two things, or it might need a semi-major overhaul. It's difficult to tell without playing it!

I think those changes will definitely help though. As hard as it is, ice physics on high platforms is technically legitimate difficulty, because if you understand it you can compensate, and without those homing and crossfire bills the player can focus more on getting the ice physics right, without having to worry about smashing into a bullet bill.
tenta

Post by tenta »

Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

My level is cleared, now what do I do? D;
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
tenta

Post by tenta »

same thing as me. wait a long time.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Kevinskie555 wrote:My level is cleared, now what do I do? D;
If it's cleared you got to submit it in this thread
in a file containing all your level's resources. Follow the instructions in the first post.

Daizo

Post by Daizo »

This should be the finale of the finish, the IPS you guys been waiting for, after like 3 weeks (or something) When the Which struck 12, The Great Pit is Finally finished!

Changes:
-Fixed the coin trail
-shorten timer
-And Only 6 lives lost when testing. (try and beat this live time)

The Finale download:
I <3 IPS'es

Oh yes, This post is too fancy for me :lol:
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Diddyboy100 wrote:Changes:
-Fixed the coin trail
-shorten timer

The Finale download:
I <3 IPS'es

Oh yes, This post is too fancy for me :lol:
some parts of the coin trail still a quite misleading. early on a trail swerves to much, not saying it's impossible but muscle memory how I ended up passing again. Also there is a part where the coin trail goes like this:
_______@
______@
_____@
____@
___@
__@
##
## Death!

Those are the only 2 points that seemed unfair this time.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I knew there would be rejections :?

But Why not have another Finale Download 8-)

Changes (Includes history, goes to the 7th version):
11th version: (this one is the updates for this beta)
-Fix the coin trail a little (should be perfect now)
-Made hints for the parrot coins (with purple coins, was suggested earlier)
-Made short cuts (with purple coins)
-And a Record of 127 left of game seconds, 0 lives lost and all coins collected in one round (Try and beat the time without any lives and coins lost while your beta testing)

10th version:
-Fixed the coin trail
-shorten timer

9th version:
-Removed all text boxes
-Removed Sublevel 5A

8th version:
Can't remember :|

7th version:
See above.

The download:
Sup, Beta Tester?

capefeather

Post by capefeather »

I'm not sure what the podobo dripping palettes use, and LM doesn't make it very easy to check. I thought it would be fine just because the podobos themselves were orange. I don't quite remember why I left them orange, though...

I definitely had problems with the message. I tried not to have awkward large spaces in the message, so instead of something like "Owner" I ended up saying "Avid Thwomp collector". I could probably change it to "The Owner", though. I also had problems because the transition from the first room to the next room wasn't supposed to be "normal" exactly, and was supposed to be the result of the fridge logic of, "Hey, why is Mario able to go down pipes when there are still plants in them?" I've found it impossible to convey that aspect.

As for the "vanilla", well, I'm figuring that it's not a big deal, seeing as how there are plenty of vanilla levels submitted already. I just find that there are way too many tools to learn/distinguish/use to the fullest, and that combined with school timing really killed my motivation to do much of any "chocolate" for this level. I did plan for a boss once... but I felt that the level making process was dragging on too long even without worrying about making sprites or graphics or ASM coding. Maybe the bar in that aspect is being set too high for such an increasingly complicated and frustrating endeavour.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

capefeather wrote:As for the "vanilla", well, I'm figuring that it's not a big deal, seeing as how there are plenty of vanilla levels submitted already. I just find that there are way too many tools to learn/distinguish/use to the fullest, and that combined with school timing really killed my motivation to do much of any "chocolate" for this level. I did plan for a boss once... but I felt that the level making process was dragging on too long even without worrying about making sprites or graphics or ASM coding. Maybe the bar in that aspect is being set too high for such an increasingly complicated and frustrating endeavour.
Yes, this is right. What's most important is the fun factor not whether the level is vanilla.

There are times when a level being vanilla could take away from it but make sure you aren't just biased against vanilla levels (you in general, of course not you capefeather).
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Diddyboy100 wrote:I knew there would be rejections :?

But Why not have another Finale Download 8-)

Changes (Includes history, goes to the 7th version):
11th version: (this one is the updates for this beta)
-Fix the coin trail a little (should be perfect now)
-Made hints for the parrot coins (with purple coins, was suggested earlier)
-Made short cuts (with purple coins)
-And a Record of 127 left of game seconds, 0 lives lost and all coins collected in one round (Try and beat the time without any lives and coins lost while your beta testing)

10th version:
-Fixed the coin trail
-shorten timer

9th version:
-Removed all text boxes
-Removed Sublevel 5A

8th version:
Can't remember :|

7th version:
See above.

The download:
Sup, Beta Tester?
Ehem?

tenta

Post by tenta »

Hey guys. Im still waiting.