(shouting)

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

Post by AUS »

Complain about it here if you feel like it, personally I don't care.
Last edited by AUS 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
kilon

Re: Ohno! Youtube changed again!

Post by kilon »

You do care. You just refuse to acknowledge it.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I mentioned this in the Twitter thread, but having no Friends tab option sucks. I do not really subscribe to anyone, so that makes the homepage kind of moot. Also don't like not being able to [x] out videos I don't want showing up on that page, either. Really, it's another halfhearted design that could have been better if there was a modicum of thought put into it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm dreading the day they switch over their channel design. It's going to make it so everyone has to remake their channel backgrounds if they made one. It seems like this whole update is trying to make everything look all futuristic and whatnot, but really, it just looks convoluted and ugly.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
freelop

Post by freelop »

It's ugly and you can't remove videos from your front page that you watched but they finally fixed it so you don't miss videos because the person you are subscibed to posted more than 4 videos.

Yes I know about the "load more videos" button they used to have but I found it wouldn't always work.
sasukebowser

Post by sasukebowser »

Let's talk about IMPROVEMENTS YEAH!

At least they fixed the whole "skip two seconds of a youtube video if you fullscreen/unfullscreen it". I almost switched off Firefox's hardware acceleration just because of this.

I'm so glad they FINALLY fixed the "you can't remove people from your blocked list if they deleted their account" thing. I've sent them so many messages about that. Also why there was no confirmation for adding people to your block list I'll never know. :/

and that's all i can think of

but yeah the interface is shitty
Sigs Screw Off
Put this in your signature if you have sigs turned off.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

WTF YOUTUBE

e: noooooo, not the favicon, wtf

ee: wtf
wtf.png
dont wanna jihad no more
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

... How would you even show that, other than the obvious? At least you can use bananas for condoms.

And there's a sentence I never thought I'd say.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Welcome to Another Pointless Youtube Change that Does Nothing to Improve the Site Itself But Makes it Look Like the Programmers Are Doing SOMETHING at Least
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

I like how they loudly advertise the new layout as "much easier to use" and "intuitive" and then they suggest you to TAKE A TOUR in order to understand it.

This is pretty much the basic rule of website design: If your layout is so complicated that the user needs to be told how to use it, it's NOT A GOOD LAYOUT.

Ugh, Youtube sometimes, can't we just go back to the stable version we had from 2005 to 2008? I wouldn't mind a new layout either but PLEASE not one designed by those Google "experts".
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. For everything I use it for, it's exactly the same. Aesthetics are useless, so I don't even pay attention to them.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

DancingMad wrote:Welcome to Another Pointless Youtube Change that Does Nothing to Improve the Site Itself But Makes it Look Like the Programmers Are Doing SOMETHING at Least
I think if the programmers wanted to look like they're doing something, they should have fixed all of the glitches with the previous version -- Not overhaul the whole thing and make it look like crap.
Aposke wrote:Ugh, Youtube sometimes, can't we just go back to the stable version we had from 2005 to 2008? I wouldn't mind a new layout either but PLEASE not one designed by those Google "experts".
Yeah. Ever since Google bought YouTube, it's been going down-hill. I liked it before it became all corporate...
I feel like such a hipster...
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I dunno, i'm kind of in peteyboo's shoes where functionally, I don't really perceive much difference. Like, yeah, it looks different, but, eh. I can see videos fine, I've always just kind of ignored the rest I guess?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

the actual video watching portion of the site looks fairly unchanged, so i'm alright with it

Also i don't know if anyone figured this out yet but adding /home after youtube.com will change it back to the old layout (although the design for the background and buttons are still the same)
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

It might be the old layout, but it's still doesn't show friends activity

I don't like my friends enough to subscribe to them (plus it's all about seeing what videos they favorite cause in a few cases, like with paste, they're usually pretty good)

Edit: Oh, subscribing takes care of that. WELL I don't know then
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

raocow wrote:I dunno, i'm kind of in peteyboo's shoes where functionally, I don't really perceive much difference. Like, yeah, it looks different, but, eh. I can see videos fine, I've always just kind of ignored the rest I guess?
It's not really the video viewing page that's bugging everyone; it's the new homepage (at least for me).
Not only did they take away a bunch of really nice features and add a bunch of crappy new ones in, but it just seems like another silly excuse for YouTube to shove their partners in your face.
Just click that "add channels" button at the top of the homepage. Go through there and try to find a channel that ISN'T partnered... And then try to find one that you'd actually take a moment out of your day to watch... I think the only one that seems like a reasonable recommendation for me would be BlueXephos, and that's because their channel has something related to video games on it. The rest of YouTube's "recommendations" for me are VEVOs for random people like Justin Bieber and Rihanna.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Most of my recommendations are mega64 guys and SA LPers. It's not until I click "load more" that I get (mostly) people I've never heard of. I think you're just watching a bunch of shit videos.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

My "recommended channels" has raocow, raoclassic, chuggaaconroy, DeseasedCrab (why?), and a couple others.

Youtube doesn't know anything about what I like except that I watch two people's videos every day, and people doing things like them might be interesting. lol

Edit: Clicking "see all" gives me only a few channels I've never heard of/watched a video from.

Although the suggested videos are sometimes annoying.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Argumentable wrote:I think you're just watching a bunch of shit videos.
I haven't even heard of most of the channels that are in my "recommendations". When would I have watched KidsTV123 or hooplakidz?
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

If you watch shit you get recommended shit. I don't know what hearing of these has to do with anything.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Youtube's recommended me DC since forever. It must be watching raocow.

edit:
Argumentable wrote:If you watch shit you get recommended shit.
beaten
dont wanna jihad no more
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Argumentable wrote:If you watch shit you get recommended shit. I don't know what hearing of these has to do with anything.
Okay. I haven't WATCHED videos from any of the channels that are recommended for me, or anything even related to them.
Why would I watch AdeleVEVO? I can't even name a song of her's off the top of my head.
Daikoru

Post by Daikoru »

I never like changes. I'm used to the old theme, having stuff change around makes me feel not on a safe ground.

But dunno, for now, it's not that bad, it will take a bit of time to get used to, then it will feel back like normal. It's not like some Flash gaming website that changed to a theme that annoys me while playing games and changed stuff around so much that I just entirely stopped searching for new games on it.
Incarnate a Pokemon Gijinka in this Role Play forum!
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Ashanmaril wrote:
Argumentable wrote:If you watch shit you get recommended shit. I don't know what hearing of these has to do with anything.
Okay. I haven't WATCHED videos from any of the channels that are recommended for me, or anything even related to them.
Why would I watch AdeleVEVO? I can't even name a song of her's off the top of my head.
Okay. You're hopeless
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
What do you want me to say?
I really don't watch much on YouTube other than LPers, so I don't know why they're recommending me VEVOs.
My main point was the fact that no matter what you watch, they'll recommend you partner channels. Period.