(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
capefeather

Re: Level Clearing

Post by capefeather »

I just realized (yeah I know, dumb, but I've had a very bad month) that I'd have to remove all of the vines in the third room or remove the Whistlin' Chuck to prevent 1-UP spamming, but since lives will probably be meaningless, it's probably not something to be bothered with.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Eh, honestly, if it's the only thing I wouldn't be bothered to much with it, especially if it's three sections deep.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Well, I finally got every single glitch I could find, most of them are fixed but there are still some that I cant fix:
-When you wall catch, then you'll un-spin jump.
-when you get hit by a koopa at the end of the 1st area, then you will be able to cheat and be bic the hole time in the 2nd area.
-Each coin gives you 2 as halfs.

Well, here is The Level :D

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

capefeather wrote:I just realized (yeah I know, dumb, but I've had a very bad month) that I'd have to remove all of the vines in the third room or remove the Whistlin' Chuck to prevent 1-UP spamming, but since lives will probably be meaningless, it's probably not something to be bothered with.
Well, yeah, especially since we're now planning on
having a level dedicated to lives farming
, you can probably let them as it is, it's just something I figured worth pointing out after a quick playthrough of your level.

Negative

Post by Negative »

My level has been in testing for a week and I feel like my level is good enough to have chance here.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=files&u=17962

Unnamed one on the bottom. I hope its decent enough.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Diddyboy:
I think the part with the p switch and bullet bills is too unfair. You should revise that or maybe just remove it. Don't have the filtering system in the second half of your level. Just use those small blocks you had. Otherwise, I think it's fine. You managed to not make it too hard. The aesthetics are nice too. After you fix those two things, you're cleared.

Negative:
Oh geez. This palette is way way way too bright. You've got to tone down the palette a lot, get rid of those weird white blocks floating in the background, and fill in empty spaces the dirt was supposed to be in. No but really, that palette hurts my eyes.
I found the gameplay to be a bit boring too. There wasn't much to it. I did like the sections where you needed to get the chuck to break blocks. I thought they were clever. One suggestion I can give is making your level revolve around the translucent blocks. Like, having some sort of things in the background trick or something. Right now, you just have those floating white blocks which don't look great and don't really add anything to the level. Try thinking about how you can involve the transparency of the foreground in the gameplay. It could really help your level and make it a little more unique.

Kevinskie:
Sorry I didn't play your level. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.
Negative

Post by Negative »

If way way way too bright means that its light blue, well, yogui had the same problem.
yogui wrote:When I opened the level in lunar magic, the level looked like it was all black. But then I played it, it was blue. I said "well, okay then hahaha" and I though it was normal, until I entered the sub-level's with the chest. Here the palette was ugly. So I think that there is a problem with your level and it should have been the same in lunar magic and when playing. Maybe it was the patch's fault? I don't know, but try to fix that.
Heres another thing.
yogui wrote:That's weird. In fact it seemed that for some reason the custom palette didn't worked for me. So I copied the palette into the original palette and it work.
The level has never glitched when I have tried it, so I have no idea why its doing that, thus I dont know how to fix it :( .

Guess I can come up with some new level design ideas thou.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

kevinskie: Honestly, I wasn't crazy about the level. It felt a little ADD with the level themes/music selections (especially with the outside parts) which kind of took me out of the feel of the level. The music isn't anything that can't be tweaked though (and it's possible you just forgot to change some stuff)

A little criticism on that though: I think if you made the outside part more like an actual outside and not like a cutscene it would be better. I did dig the castle destruction. Maybe if you could find some way to teleport the player with that instead of making them go into pipes would be better, but eh.

A lot of it chalks up to personal preference, and despite me not really liking it to much, I see no real reason to not clear you. So, if you wanna go straight there, that's fine, if you wanna edit some things I feel that would be great and limepie would probably give you a little extra time on that if you needed it? I have no idea how these deadlines work.

Edit: Oh yeah, the thwomp "boss" had a slight glitch where he was hitting blocks and they weren't destroyed. Not sure if it was just something weird I ran into, or if it was something on your end - probably the former - but you should probably take a look at it just in case.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

I am not sure what exactly I should do right now, because I'm waiting for some fine touches from VideoGuy on the counter's ASM which I have not gotten, yet. I know my level was looked at in this thread, but there were some significant issues with what I had. I'm waiting for what I need to be completely finished.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

limepie20 wrote:Diddyboy:
I think the part with the p switch and bullet bills is too unfair. You should revise that or maybe just remove it. Don't have the filtering system in the second half of your level. Just use those small blocks you had. Otherwise, I think it's fine. You managed to not make it too hard. The aesthetics are nice too. After you fix those two things, you're cleared.
I don't know what you mean by "flitering" but I can fix that Bullet trap, Its not that hard to dodge but if its too unfair to you, I'll get rid of it :D

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

My bad, I meant filtering system. Like how you force the player to take a hit so they enter without powerups. We already have a patch that only lets you enter levels as big demo at most.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

My week in testing is up.
Confused Goopas

It's kind of like a ghost house a sense.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Ometeotl: Good grief that....that is a palette. The ninji without platforms part doesn't need to be removed, but the player needs to be made aware that they can't stand on the ground, otherwise they (like i) would assume you have to take your time and go on the platform.

The level is kinda short. Where normally I might expect three 'stages' or areas to a level, then the exit, the level felt like it finished as the second stage begun. If the level is meant to be during a sunset (which it seems to be), I would recommend having a second section where everything is a bit darker, and then a final section with just stars out, maybe with only the sky visible and everything else darkened and a bit hard to see.

I think you need to maybe consider changing the palette. The orange clouds and sky look great, but the ground being dark but vivid blue isn't kind on the eyes. One other corollary thing is, if the idea that the level is during a sunset, i would suggest changing the music. The music is great, but a calmer piece with longer notes would fit better for a dusk situation.

AUS: The 9 screens that you made are technically fine; that you repeated them and put in a "puzzle" you have to brute force, isn't. A simple maze in the middle of a level, or a complex maze that is the whole level is fine; having a 5 room maze, each with 2 doors, and that be the whole level, isn't. I'm going to have to ask you to start again, or use the 9 screens once and make a full level using them.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

why can't there be a crazy, non-realistic palette? :mrgreen:
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

It's not a problem that it's unrealistic, it's a problem that the colours clash pretty badly:

When the level has you jumping through a bright orange sky onto vivid, dark blue platforms, the level isn't technically painful to the eyes, but it's somewhere part way along the same line or scale that would be on.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Those aren't clouds, those are forest canopy. Notice the leaves and whatnot.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Fixed

fixed everything mentioned previously.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Ometeotl: Is that...your entire response to my criticism? I did mention other problems, and you haven't really addressed or even responded to the palette issue, just commented on a mistake I made.

shdwdrgnix: Love the new message next to the p-switch, just change "koopa" to "goopas" (assuming there's enough characters on the line), and that'll be really helpful. Also one thing I only just noticed: no wonder I couldn't understand it was a clue, the screen isn't low enough for you to see the whole scene with the koopas. The whole thing needs to be raised or the camera lowered somehow; depends whether it's a camera issue or a screen issue, as the screen always cuts off the bottom row of tiles from the level. A couple of suggestions for the clue: make the block under the invisible block a "used" block instead of a question block. Make it so the blue koopa can't reach the shell, otherwise he'll knock it into the block; although this provides a useful 'live' demonstration, if the player isn't watching as soon as they exit the pipe, they'll miss it and not know they've missed anything. Maybe make the red koopa on the invisible block blue as well, that way it's all blue koopas explaining the clue, as the messagebox suggests. Well done on making the clue stand out a lot more though.
The screen entrance settings aren't quite right in the room after the door above the invisible block. You can tell because the screen scrolls up as you enter the room.
Really like the message in the autoscroll area.

Once you've fiddled with it and fixed the few flaws, I would suggest just showing it to a few people who know super mario world but not that glitch. Now that I know how to do it, it's very hard for me to judge how easy it is for someone to really figure it out on their own. If a few people in the testing thread or whoever will play it for you can figure it out using the clue (or already have done during the testing phase), then you're cleared.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

No, sorry, just wanted to clarify that one detail right away.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

And all has been fixed, do I repost a link?

edit: I got 4 people on skype to play it. I'll know soon if the clue is useful, to be sure I added an example nearby to practice a bit.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

flameofdoubt wrote:AUS: The 9 screens that you made are technically fine; that you repeated them and put in a "puzzle" you have to brute force, isn't. A simple maze in the middle of a level, or a complex maze that is the whole level is fine; having a 5 room maze, each with 2 doors, and that be the whole level, isn't. I'm going to have to ask you to start again, or use the 9 screens once and make a full level using them.
Brute-force? I don't understand. Could it be that puzzles are not your forte? I'll explain how to beat it.
You must make your way back to the first part of the first room with a blue yoshi, fly over the level into the second half and enter the door. This will bring you to an all blue room, you must fly over it again and a door there will bring you to the end.
Not sure what you mean by nine screens. There are 4 sublevels other than the main level.

Your review doesn't mention the gimmick (which existed before the level was a puzzle) nor does it explain why you don't like it so I feel a bit cheated by you asking me just to start over. From where? The beginning? What about the gimmick that you didn't mention? :? The level is called 'Confused Goopas' for a reason. The level is not just a few rooms with two doors each.
ALTHOUGH with that said, if it really is as bad as you say, I wouldn't mind giving it up to someone else or just dropping it completely, because I already have a level in A2MT, I'm satisfied with that. :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

This should be the final bata level! :P

Beta, took 2 days to upload for some reason <_>

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

AUS: Brute force is a method of solving passwords by trying every possible combination. Your gimmick isn't a puzzle because there are no clues, and no rhyme or reason as to why the right door is the right door. You've just picked one of your doors and made that the exit door, and the player has to try every combination until they find the right door in the right room.

Wait is your gimmick the koopas and not the maze? Having the only enemy in your level be koopas, and experimenting with ways to approach those, is a good idea. The problem is that you made 9 screens of a level, and then copy-pasted that into 4 more sublevels, and made minimal changes like giving you a different yoshi in each sublevel and some of the hard to reach areas having either a chest or a dragon coin or nothing. 9 screens isn't enough to explore the koopa gimmick, and 5 near-identical rooms isn't enough to explore a maze puzzle.

Because of there being 5 rooms and them being duplicated, the level really is 5 rooms with two doors each. Once you know that a yoshi swallowing a disco shell can fly, each room is just a case of acquiring the disco shell and then picking a door to go through that you haven't already/leads to a room you haven't explored fully yet.

As far as restarting, you can use those 9 screens, they're fine, but you need to add a lot more after it too, or make the maze more complex, with significant differences in each room. Most mazes either have completely different rooms, so you can tell where in the maze you are, or they have nearly identical rooms that can be traversed in less than 5 seconds.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Final fix

And that should be good, the 4 people that played this all found the glitch easy to figure out with the hint and the practice block aswell.