(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Level Clearing

Post by limepie20 »

Lobster_Horde:
The water in your level has a funky palette. You shouldn't have a floor on the bottom tile in Lunar Magic because it isn't visible ingame. The right post of the goalpost also has a weird palette. I would clear you, but I can't figure out what to do in that secret room (the one with the right right left right right tree). Could you help me out so I can fully complete your level?
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

Limepie20: In order to do stuff in the tree room, you have to go to the parts on the right.
There are two 'rooms' over to the right. Hit the heart in the first one to make the bigger heart solid, and grab the p-switch in the second room to get past the munchers.
Also, if you're talking about the place with the mushroom and invisible floor, not being able to see it was intentional. There should be a goomba nearby that falls in so the player can see it's walkable. If you really don't like it I suppose I can change it.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

@Wyatt
Wyatt wrote:AUS: Should be able to clear you after some minor fixes. Difficulty: ★★★★ (~25 deaths)
-You get the time up glitch when you die. Also, the game over screen shows demo having a messed up palette. Not sure whether these are your fault or the fault of the baserom, so disregard if it's the latter.
-What up with the dragon coin outlines all over the place? At first I thought they were really supposed to be dragon coins but I think (tell me if I'm wrong) that there were more than 5 outlines + real coins.
-It'd be cute if you wrote "Beware the physics!!" in the background before the autoscroll part, since it really does feel like the part in ASMT with the same message.
-I didn't really feel in control at the end of said autoscroll part, you might want to tone it down a bit, i.e. have less inclines (you can't jump while on an incline if the scroll speed is too fast) and larger platforms. Do this and the level will become a solid ★★★☆.
-The very last bit in the chest area is a real dick move. You get pushed into the ceiling, but you can't actually see where the ceiling starts? Not fair. You even have to get pushed up NEAR the ceiling to get high enough to make the final jump. Really all you have to do here is get rid of the layer 2 bit that covers up the layer 1 ceiling. (If I worded that weird and you don't know what I mean, PM me and I'll take some screenshots.)
About the Time Out glitch and the gameover thing, I'm assuming that's just a base-rom error as my level has no ASM nor changes any non-custom palletes.

The "dragoncoin" thing: They're where you come out of when you go through a door, I've just changed them to something other than that gfx to prevent confusion, so, fixed I hope.

"Beware the physics!!" ..That would be really cool, would that require exGFX? I'm not sure if I would be able to do that very well, but I'll give it a shot. I've changed the platforms.

Done.

I haven't uploaded a new IPS yet, though, and that's because I haven't added the nod to ASMT with "beware the physics" :)
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Lobster_Horde:
Ah, I see.
The problem I had was I hit the heart a bunch of times so I guess I hit the unlucky even. Yeah, there should be an indicator do people don't get confused. And I think the invisible floor is really unnecessary but if you really want, you can just leave it in.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I would like to change the level name from "Broken Reality" to "Change the World"

http://www.mediafire.com/?xgdjq84kkw0m9sp
I made the night and house easier and changed resetting the ghost house so you don't have to return to the night part when you use the emergency door. Also, I expect 1 or 2 switch places to be pressed by the time the level shows up in the game.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Would that name make sense with the pokemon messageblock?
Not that it matters..
capefeather

Post by capefeather »

Kind of odd that the patch doesn't work for Argumentable. It worked for me and the other downloader didn't complain, either... Again, I'm sorry for the negativity since it seems to have attracted some negativity back. At this point I just have zero confidence in the level and it would be nice just to have some kind of concrete comment to go on. You know? I'm almost afraid to post...

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/12461/1a.ips in all its 2+ MB glory
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

Hello

It's finally the time for the final judgement. At least one on the T&D thread already thought my level is good for clearing as it is now, and that's pretty much all feedback I got since I last updated. So it's now or never. :P

Here is the ips file: http://konata.fi/a2mt/A2MT_11F_v15.1.ips (My level (no. 11F) is the apparently nameless level below the others on the ow. The level is actually titled "Tangled Grounds".)

But to be honest, I'm still a bit confused about the chest thing. Should I at this point already have the chest item and description and stuff in the rom, in my level? Or do I communicate it at the submission phase? Or is it my job to come up with the content at all? The chest itself is there, in its not-that-easy-to-get spot, though.
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Here's mine: No secret exit here

It was tested by three nice guys and I fixed what I was told to. It is the unnamed level you start on (level 16 and sub-level 46). The normal exit is easy to get and is meant to lead back or nowhere at all.
ImageImage
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

Hey there, clearing thread.

Here is my IPS for level 5: BLOCK FORT
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48607961/a2mtlvl005.ips

It has one exit and has some pretty hard jumps here and there. The real difficutly, I think, lies in getting the chest, though.
The design is simple but I think pretty well done. It could be either a normal or a fort level, I guess? It is BLOCK FORT, after all.

Anyways, please play it~
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Wyatt, as far as I can remember everything you touched on got fixed, except the Time Out and Gameover bugs, which I assume were just from the Base Rom that I got not having all the patches yet. I added the nod to
Muncher's level.
To clearers:
Here!

Note: As of this post, it includes technically some things that I haven't got approved to use yet..But I requested them, and they were free at the time, so it's probably not a problem?
EDIT: Limepie20 fixed that.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

capefeather:
Oh man, I think your level improved a lot since last time I played it. The second sublevel works a lot better as a gameplay room rather than a puzzle room. The room with the midpoint is really weird because you can skip the whole thing. I don't really like that. Plus, it was really misleading and took me a long time to figure out I need to just go in the pipe at the beginning. It's very counter-intuitive. The last sublevel needs a few fixes. Firstly, I don't like how the music just changes. Don't get me wrong, I love that music, but it just creates an odd transition. The music should be kept the same as the room before. Also, having no background looks bad. You had the layer 3 in the other rooms. Can't you use it there? The on/off penguins didn't have swell palettes. The black on them needs to be removed. And my last complaint is that the ending is very anticlimactic. You are in action and suddenly, you won. All you have to do to fix this is take out the goal sphere, extend the last hallway a screen or two, and add a goal bar (or sphere if you want). It's just weird to have it right there. But overall, I think it was a great improvement and you don't have a lot to fix.

Gwaur:
For the chest, when you submit your level, you can include what you want the contents of the chest in your level to be IF YOU WANT. If not, we will throw in one of those generic "fits any level" chest items.

Anyway, your level. Well, the saws (munchers) blocking the blue p switch by the parachuting bombs have a bad palette. They appear again next to the goal. It is annoying waiting for the whole p switch to run. This happens at the place where you need to use a shell to bypass being killed by a saw the p switch is sitting on. You should find a way to mitigate the amount of time you need to wait. Otherwise, I had fun playing your level. After those two things are fixed, you're cleared.

That's it for now. I will try to play more levels later.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

spitznagl: The first area is great, I really like its happy atmosphere :) The second area still feels dickish though, here's what I have to say about it:
-First off, the music here breaks bsnes. Post the music code and I'll fix it up.
-The first shell is almost guaranteed to hit you, give the player more time to react.
-Same with the fence next to the koopa with the red shell. Also, if you bounce off the red shell, it doesn't hit the turn blocks, leaving demo stuck.
-I don't like the whole "forced hit" motif going on. You absolutely have to get hit by the spikes next to the up arrow. Then there's the koopa that falls on you; is there any way to dodge this? I assume the up arrow has something to do with it, but with the time limit, I didn't bother trying to figure stuff out and just tanked the hit every time.
-I actually quit after I screwed up the disco shell part, so no comments about what's past there. I did manage to fall off the side (!) next to the turn block the disco shell has to hit, so I saw everything I missed and it looked pretty similar to what came before.

In summary, the area feels way too based on trial and error, and also on the time limit. I always felt rushed, and most of my deaths didn't feel fair. My favorite parts of the area were the little p-switch run, the part where you're dodging bullets and baseballs (minus the green koopa that falls) and the disco shell part; they were all hard, but when I passed them I felt like it was because I had learned, not memorized, what to do.

Hopefully I've given you some kind of indication on how to change things. Despite frustration at the end area, I still genuinely really hope this level gets fixed up and put into the game. You've got time, try to make it work!
7TC7: Cool level! Change a couple things and you're cleared. Difficulty: ★★★
7b.png
-This level needs a midpoint. Add one, probably here.
7a.png
-You can jump over the ceiling here. Any curious player will probably try this to see what's there, only to be disappointed that there's nothing. The easiest fix would be to just extend the lava on top one tile to the left, but then it might look weird. Experiment and see what works.

Just change those two things and you're cleared. Though, I have to ask, was I missing something with the green tiles? I could never tell if a tile was ground or not. I think this was intentional, but some parts were hard to figure out without fireballs.
So that leaves these people to be cleared:
Septentrion Pleiades
AUS
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Hey there clearers !

Sooooo I didn't get any reponse from the "revised" version of my level so I figured I might as well go ahead and post it here :mrgreen:

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/17829/Danci ... ellsv3.ips

It's a cave level based, as you probably guessed from the file name, on shells.

It's the red level at the bottom of the overworld, though there is only one exit, it's just for identification purposes.

In case you're not finding one of them for some reason, yes the parrot coins and the chest are all in the level.

About the missing death/gameover music : Wyatt said it's a problem with the music itself and he'll kindly take care of it, so yeah, please bear with it for now :P

Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

AUS: I'm happy to say that you're cleared :D
But first fix these two tiles' layer priorities (behind the red goopa)
aus.png
New list of dudes we need to clear:
Septentrion Pleiades
Jesuiscontent
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Modified version (starts at the midpoint)

-Added two horizontal tiles so the first shell isn't a problem once you know it's there.

-Removed the red shell and made the grid longer.

-Removed the two spike filters. I'm not so sure about removing the one before the baseball section because it makes the bullet jump not obligatory. You can now just take the hit from the green koopa, but I guess that it let's the player make a choice.

-The disco part is now much easier since you don't have to get the mushroom in time before the turn block stops turning. You can also bring the green shell anyway.

I hope I didn't get what you said wrong and that just removing stuff is indeed the solution. I personally feel that it makes the section more fair after all.

-The time limit is really just meant to put pressure on the player. It'll only make you die if you start waiting, but with nowhere to explore it shouldn't. I wouldn't mind just taking it out though.

-Now that I think about it, I'd like to compose the music for this area too. Would it be too late if I do that this week-end?
ImageImage
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Thanks, Wyatt!
Also yeah, I fixed that thing you pointed out.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

I put my level up for clearing. It doesn't really have a huge gimmick to go about it, but I think that the level design is very different from other levels. The atmosphere is supposed to be ironic, as the happy, easy looking level is actually not that easy. That is kind of where the name came from.

I know of one thing that will need to be changed before the level is put in the game, and that is the time limit. I set it at 999 so I could get a good idea on how much time it takes to actually beat the level. I normally beat it in around 400 seconds, so 600 seconds sounds fair.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Alright, final completed version of my level is complete, and everything mentioned has been fixed/toned down. Everything has been played without savestates, so it is certainly possible to beat.

When cold, make sure to dress warmly.ips
JellyBlock

Post by JellyBlock »

Whoo! After a whole year and a half of endless procrastination, my level is finally done! It's fully beatable, has 5 parrot coins, and a chest. The only problem I have is that whenever I move over the chest, it doesn't do anything. Did I insert the chest into the level incorrectly or something? Also, the title on my level is not showing up no matter what I do. In case you need to know, it's titled "Coin Town USA". Anyway, here's the level. It's uploaded to Media Fire and not attached to this post because it's freaking .05 MB over the limit. http://www.mediafire.com/?gvv0trdi63m0icv
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I found some problems with my level. I removed a quite a few power up opportunities since there was way to many. I was always too lax(with playing) during testing.

I also found a coin creating cut off, and a unnecessary POW question block. I also found a Spike that should be a muncher saw in the house part . I have fixed this in my current level.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

I think my level is ready for clearing, it's already been through the testing thread a few times.
http://www.mediafire.com/?m3stnkkk4wipnfr
There you go ^^
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

7b.png
-This level needs a midpoint. Add one, probably here.
I thought so too at some point but wasn't sure, so I put one down now. Ok?
7a.png
-You can jump over the ceiling here. Any curious player will probably try this to see what's there, only to be disappointed that there's nothing. The easiest fix would be to just extend the lava on top one tile to the left, but then it might look weird. Experiment and see what works.
You guessed right. I put the lava there, so that it would be to hard but I guess I wasn't throughout enough. I think now it should be impossible.
Though, I have to ask, was I missing something with the green tiles? I could never tell if a tile was ground or not. I think this was intentional, but some parts were hard to figure out without fireballs.
Thats... wow. Those things look pretty indistinguishable on your screenshots. They are much more visible on my game or in lunar magic (not very obvious but at least visible). I changed them a litte. Better now?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48607961/A2MT_5.ips
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/15352/024%2BAir%2BArena.ips

I submited in testing but no one responded, and its the deadline. :o so i posted here.
luckily everything wyatt told me to do ive done, exept the music. the chest should be through the door but sprite C5 has been deleted via new sprite tool usage and the base rom zip is corrupted so i cant get it :(