(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Aug. 4th

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

After seeing the new Charlie graphics swap, my level is now officially called "Flower Tower Power Hour".
Attachments
I have half a mind to replace the small clouds in the background with Yukarispace eyes
I have half a mind to replace the small clouds in the background with Yukarispace eyes
A2MT_00003.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

re: your picture subtitle - it would actually look pretty nice with your chosen palette there, in my opinion.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

So the bad news is, the dredge is taking a little slower than I had anticipated due to real life and a currently slow internet connection. It should be back up sometime tonight and I'll keep plugging away. I'm on page 83/~173 and I will definetely keep working on it as time & my internet permits.

Anyway, a little screenshot update of my level. My level progress isn't top priority but I've been working with it while not doing the dredge.
The digging chucks/[octobros when I'm doing making/getting ExGFX] dig up oranges to continue my theme of fruit-based attacks. The flaming pieces of airship will hurt you. I still don't have a background but I need to get around to that too. Unlike the last couple screenshots, this one incorporates my current level design plan too rather than be a sample of what the level would be like.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Keckcellent:
Maybe he's telling Demo that she's not having enough vitamins, I'm just making that up. BTW. If Octobro throws bananas that would be even more appropriate. XD
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

raocow wrote:I'm not sure I understand your question?

Make your graphic, put it in one of your map16 spots, and point it toward the original custom block?
Oh I was being silly. I didn't know that custom blocks worked that way! I thought that it would only work for the specific tile you specified in blocktool. This makes it way simpler!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah I used to think that, too.
Even if it was that way, you could always reinsert the block to another space.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

Here's the first draft for my level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ox6ha2d3xty759x
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

TomPhanto: I found your level to be a lot of fun, if a little simple. The bright colors made me happy. I saw you declare the music you want to use in the other thread, you should try inserting it to see how well it fits the stage.

Some suggestions:
-Not sure if that first message box was necessary
-When I died and restarted the level, the first boomerang bro didn't spawn
-I don't like how there's a ceiling above the first sublevel. Not sure if you know, but a2mt is patched so people can't bring a cape into someone else's level and break it
-IMO the coins that spell "RUN" would look better as "Y+B" or simply a couple arrows (this is also helpful for non-english speakers)
tomphanto_00000.png
tomphanto_00000.png (6.42 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
-This would be a decent place for a dragon coin. I think 5 dragon coins per level is actually mandatory for this game, so find some places to put those.
tomphanto_00001.png
tomphanto_00001.png (6.12 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
The top of this land mass demo's facing should be cornered off like the bottom (since you can stand on top of it)
notgoodwithusernames

Post by notgoodwithusernames »

Here is a preview of the first part for my level:

http://youtu.be/RY4apzB4vzc

The level is suppose to be extremely hard, but I want to have some fairness in the level.
I don't sign on here a whole bunch, so here are some contacts if you need to get a hold of me:

SMWCentral: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=12089
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/notgoodwithusername5
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

notgoodwithusernames wrote:Here is a preview of the first part for my level:

http://youtu.be/RY4apzB4vzc

The level is suppose to be extremely hard, but I want to have some fairness in the level.
I am loving the use of the wall jump and wind blocks, great job!

The wind blocks kind of have a funky graphic situation, I presume those are temporary?
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Oh hai guise. What's goin' on in here... lol
So I read through the few posts that were here when I wasn't.
I'll have you guys some level critiques in the next few days... it was a long weekend lol
But all in all, levels seem to be chugging along just fine.
Good to see guys! Keep it up! :lol:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

raocow wrote:re: your picture subtitle - it would actually look pretty nice with your chosen palette there, in my opinion.
Actually I think what he meant to say was just to change the small clouds not the big black one. So if he would change the graphics of the small clouds the red-black coloured palette would still exist.

Fireyblaze:
I played your level and except for the slowdowns due to sprite overload it is qite good. However, how am I supposed to pass the second room (the underground room)? Whenever I try to go into the pipe on the right (after getting the springboard and the blue P-Switch) it sends me back into the same room (it loops).
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

Welp! Here is my A2MT level for beta testing. It is half-ish complete, so It's not ready for clearing. I would like you guys to pick flaws in the level design, and the good things. here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PW23ADN4
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Ok I played this. The first two sections feel really basic. There's nothing wrong with that, the second one is especially fine, but the third part just feels really different from the other two that I think working the first two parts to fit with the third (or vice versa) might make it feel better.

In the third section, though, I have two complaints. The first being that I feel like there's no time to react. I feel like I gotta sit at the top of the screen cause the sludge or whatever takes up half of it. You could move it down a few tiles and I think it would still work.

My second complaint is that there are literal dead ends where if you go the wrong way you are dead. The parts being the pea thing at the start of the area (I thought I was going to have to use it to jump higher, but really it serves no purpose?) and the part where you need to jump on the thwomp (Unless you can actually do something in that gap and I missed it). I would work on making it a little more fair, or maybe even having multiple paths for it. I know you said it's only halfway done, but even with that I'd say those are some things to consider. Also there's a part near the end where you actually do need to be as close to the top of the screen as possible or else you're not gonna be able to spin jump off the ball n' chain to get to the end. I'd maybe throw in some marked "invisible" coin blocks, that way it's still a delay but you don't have to have psychic knowledge of what's going to be coming up ahead
A2MT - something_00000.png
Also I think the first area would be better if it was sunken down a bit lower, I really don't care for running behind the status stuff
Despite the obvious influences, I don't think Krook's March fits very well. I'd look around for a new song.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Cmbheadquarters

Thanks. I'll go about fixing them errors. Also, I think krook's march does fit simply because of the rising sludge, being reminisant of toxic tower. However I do think there are better things, but I can't find any on SMWC. and I can't port.
Last edited by Cmbheadquarters 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Cmb: A2MT's generic castle theme would probably fit pretty well, but if you have a better song in mind I can port it for you. Hell, I'll even make you an original song if you can give me some sorta direction. I'd advise to not stick with krook's march due to its extreme overuse in SMW hacks.

I'd give you some actual level critique, but Argumentable already said everything there is to say.
Cmbheadquarters

Well, I hate to ask, but could you make a custom one?

well, I want it to be Dark, y'know, sewery. (echo'd sfx?) but not slow, but fast paced.

Thanks.
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

posting again because nobody ever tested it ^_^;

http://www.mediafire.com/?clk3nrri0jdj1h5
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So, my HDD is dying, but I should be able to salvage most of the files on it. However, until I can do that, I won't be able to work on anything or upload anything showing progress.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Daarkbuu wrote:
limepie20 wrote:They do have an official name but I already forgot it.
Are Mega Don
Why that spelling? The idea is a spin on Armageddon, but i you still want that general idea R. megadon would make it look like a genus and species name. Where was this talked about, I'd like to give my two cents if the option is still out there.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Cmbheadquarters

Davic: I just played it, and I have a few complaints.

1: I noticed that alot of this revolved around bullet jumping. (BTW vines and bullets: = 99up) (see raocow's playthrough of SMWCP, when he has like 1 life, he farms them via this.) This is pretty dumb, as it is considered Kaizo-ish (see Kaizo Mario World 1-1)

2: The one up down the bottom is useless, and a trap. (kaiozy) you can't get back up there, so you have to die.

3: The music feels, well, empty... I think a more 'spacey' theme. Siren bright club lane, (on SMWC, by worldpeace) or ducktales - the moon (spigmike, also on smwc.)

Like the pallette, by the way.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

@davvic: Really like the atmosphere in this level, though I'm probably biased since AUS was one of my favorite games of all time. Also the message box was cute.

Criticism:
Time limit was too short. I had like 50 seconds left the first time I got to the dark part. The next life I had 150 and still timed out because it's not exactly clear what to do. I eventually gave up and just put a save state at the start of the dark room because it's actually really hard to grab onto the koopa shell, it usually falls offscreen and de-spawns. It's also really easy to get shot by the cannons while falling. Giving the player a powerup would make this more tolerable, but really there shouldn't be any room for danger in a blind fall. Guide the player with coins if that helps.

Tldr: You should make the final room more fair and add one or two hundred to the timer.

EDIT: Just remembered, I only found four dragon coins. Where's the fifth?

@cmbheadquarters: I've never actually done a sewer theme before, so composing isn't going as smoothly as I'd like. Here's one attempt, but it sounds way more like a castle than a sewer. Something like Pokey Pipes but with more energy would probably fit well, but nothing's coming to me right now.
Cmbheadquarters

I don't know what you're talkin' about. with the instrements being a bit more dark, it would sound great. but that could be the 'climax' of the song.
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

Cmbheadquarters:

There isnt a single spot where you need to bullet jump...why do people keep saying this...

I fixed the one up spot so you need to koopa jump to get out of it.

Also I thought the bullets + vines would be okay since they spawn in a different spot each time because its a generator? The player cant just sit there and farm, they have to move.

Wyatt:

I added another 100 to the time limit.

I added a powerup to the end of the first section

I added some coins above the koopa as a hint.

Also did you get the coin to the left of charly in the very beginning wyatt?

Heres the new version of the level for anyone else to test.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tybik1t3mbgblqj
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

If everyone keeps doing a thing you say isn't necessary, I'm thinking the problem may come from the design!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage