(shouting)

VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
GameMan1984

Re: VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

Post by GameMan1984 »

So finally after some personal s**t, I decided to come back to the Talkhaus. Though I am still dealing with it, I really want to be active during the VIP 5 LP discussion, as well as other LP discussions.
Alex wrote:After many years of halted progress, this hack has finally been completed. For three (?) years, Mix5 has stood at 99% completion. The reason is not known to very many people (save those who read the request thread); the creator of the final level disappeared off the internet for the longest while. This left the collaborators more-or-less twiddling their thumbs (for lack of a more complementory phrase).
Actually, the 99% did not mean it was 99% complete. 99% actually means the amount of exits there are in the game. I know it's weird, but that's what you get when you use Google Translate. Besides, why would the progress be at 99% for three years. It's way too weird for that to be, and besides, there have been updates shown at the VIP uploading site. Just wanted to let you know on that. Don't believe me, well then play the game and find out. I know I am 110% sure since I played this thing to completion (that included getting all the VIP Coins).
Marluxia.Kyoshu wrote:SO NOW MY FIRST POST WILL FOREVER BE REMEMBERED AS THE GREAT BRINGER OF THE SSOHPKC FLAMEWAR. Fantastical.
freelop

Post by freelop »

That tree was rather tough, good thing it is bee-hind you now.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

With the parrot, if you press x or y repeatedly (or alternating rapidly which is probably easier), you can increase the horizontal component of your velocity, so it's easier to out-zigzag the bees. Leaving the really hard part to right at the end is tedious (I watched someone play a demo version yesterday, and it was just dropping with the cape at the end, which would have been much easier). At least you can spin jump on all of the bees this time (Thorn Thorn Labyrinth left its scars, evidently). There's hope for this carol chick yet.

e:Why did no one post "bee warned" in all those spoilers yesterday? Shame on you all.
dont wanna jihad no more
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

Oh man those bee puns
Were all really quite awful
Like all good puns are

A Carol level
Gave you quite a few problems
Who would have thought that?
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I was going to say "Honey Adventure has the best music in this hack as far as i've seen" but
world 7's first level has slightly better music i think.

BY THE WAY WHAT'S WORLD 7'S FIRST LEVEL'S MUSIC I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT SO MUCH
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Cobalt wrote:I was going to say "Honey Adventure has the best music in this hack as far as i've seen" but
world 7's first level has slightly better music i think.

BY THE WAY WHAT'S WORLD 7'S FIRST LEVEL'S MUSIC I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT SO MUCH
Nah I think the best music in this game can be heard at
Area 42, the final level of the special world!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I suspect that the only reason they put that purple parrotchuting pinhead in DCK2 in the first place was to try to make you like Sqwawks by comparison. It doesn't work.

In any case, that level might have been annoying to play, but it was entertaining to watch. My favorite part was where Boon spontaneously transformed into that weird automated obliteration device from Knytt Stories, and, briefly, an apple.

And that sure was one rockin' bee.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

The next level has you concretely making an effort for that last VIP Coin.
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I have to say, that level actually looked really nice aesthetically. I mean, I've seen the DKC graphics in SMW before, but whoever made this level did a really good job. Like... I saw NO cut-off whatsoever, which you usually see in DKC levels in hacks. I'm not saying that cutoff means that the hack is awful, and I could also make an over-used joke about a certain website, but I'm just saying; this person did a really good job with the level.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I always thought of those things as hornets because I remember hearing somewhere that they were modeled off of them. Also that's a pretty great level imo.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Or maybe it's because there's a hive level called "Hornet Hole"
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
McGack

Post by McGack »

Bee Puns -_- Bee Puns.........
vgboy

Post by vgboy »

And in the end, raocow never quite learned the proper way to Zing-zag.

(At least bee more creative with your puns.)
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Well, with all the honey, he was used to having sticky controls at that point. His downfall was just trying to go straight, making a bee-line for the exit.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

vgboy wrote:
(At least bee more creative with your puns.)
None where on purpose, I guess I just say words that have the sound 'bee' in it a lot.

Please beelieve me.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Un Gato

Post by Un Gato »

I'm really quite hapbee to find the puns continuing in here :D

And I still think you exaggerate how difficult it is to notice patterns raocow, particularly since outrunning the bees was already something you had to do earlier in the stage.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Daarkbuu wrote:I always thought of those things as hornets
Yeah, they aren't bees, they're hornets or wasps. I thought everyone knew raocow was just calling them bees for comic effect/because he's crazy.

Also, I said earlier you need to hit y repeatedly to go faster, but I just tried it again and you just need to hold it down (that's a B-).
dont wanna jihad no more
TheChrisD

Post by TheChrisD »

Still a little behind with VIP5, but the Pokélevel was the best yet :D
McGack

Post by McGack »

How the heck did i forget you posted here too? I feel stupid now =/
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Bayou Juice

Ingredients:

2/5 oz Malibu rum
2/5 oz Rum (Captain Morgan's)
2/5 oz Amaretto
2/5 oz Cranberry juice
2/5 oz Pineapple juice
Mixing instructions:

Pour equal parts of all ingrediants into a shaker filled with ice. Chill, shake and strain!

---

Gonna have to try that some time, seems interesting.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

morsel/morceau wrote:
Daarkbuu wrote:I always thought of those things as hornets
Yeah, they aren't bees, they're hornets or wasps. I thought everyone knew raocow was just calling them bees for comic effect/because he's crazy.
And because, y'know, they make honey. But you're right, not only do they physically resemble wasps far more than bees, they're also exclusively referred to as wasps (and never bees) in the game itself. In the game in which they make honey.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

Also, I'm pretty sure the strategy guide refers to them as "hornet-like" and "giant wasp" a couple times. I lost the original copy I owned about a year ago so I can't be 100% sure.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I think that Rare couldn't give two craps whether they were hornets/wasps/bees/termites, and would use whatever made the most sense for the situation, I.e., for the sake of alliteration/puns or for the sake of making a level in a giant beehive.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

I think for a guy who references TV Tropes on a regular basis, his fandom would realize what this is.

People would expect bee-like insects, such as wasps or hornets, to act exactly like bees, because bees are the most popular bee-like insects. Thus, hornets and wasps live in honeycomb structures and make honey. Of course, these "bees" will never die after stinging you once, and for some reason this generally applies to real bees in fiction as well, even though the bees that make honey (and thus the ones we think about when we think of bees) are the ones that will lose their stinger upon stinging a human.

Also, for some reason, this doesn't apply to ants, despite them being quite closely related to bees and wasps. I guess that's because we have our own perceptions on ants? "Looks like ants down there" etc. The only WASPs we have are, well...

I don't get it. But don't worry. Bee happy!
Also if you clicked any of those links, good luck.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

A common real life hornet is about 5 feet long and has an abdomen about 3 feet wide at the widest point. They are armed with stingers the size of short swords and spikes the size of daggers on their backs. They tend to have extremely large, almost cartoonish eyes and a great disdain for monkeys. They live in hives about as high as office buildings. Case closed zingers must be hornets.