(shouting)

The awesomeness that is MKF

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Slit08

The awesomeness that is MKF

Post by Slit08 »

MKF is based on a Mario engine that has been changed and adjusted to implement or design stages which are inspired by other games!
Now you can have a look what people are capable of creating with a Mario engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMpW3YT ... ture=feedu

Even a Megaman styled level can be designed wuth this Mario based engine. Look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQ4cinf ... ideo_title

What do you personally think of that? I am really impressed by the detail the devs put into this game!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: The awesomeness that is MKF

Post by raocow »

I heard the controles are really stiff, and the difficulty curve a straight up wall, with zero save system
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Money

Post by Money »

Yeah, honestly it does have quite a few problems, which includes difficulty. Don't worry though, the dev team is trying to tone down on the difficulty of levels that are near the start and fix other problems.
Also, if you don't have a pretty good computer the game will lag to hell (which is another struggle the team is trying to fix), so beware that.
And finally, MKF used to have a save system, but it kinda stopped working for some reason. It's disabled until someone gets around to coding a new one.
It's still in Beta .41, and the dev team is not known for getting new versions out particularly fast, but each update brings a ton of new stuff, and they say a new version is coming soon, so there's that.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

The controls are pretty good in my oppinion. You can actually use a controler as well if you prefer to use it. Yeah there's currently no save system but then it's a beta version. The game is far from finished. Lots of levels will be added as well as some new characters. Once everything is finished there will be a save system and locked levels (you can play every level you want to in the beta, mostly for testing purposes).

The hunt begins!
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

Man, what is the point of adding a million characters and stages if they can't even get Mario's basic physics to work right? That's like the number one thing.
Money

Post by Money »

Zaidyer wrote:Man, what is the point of adding a million characters and stages if they can't even get Mario's basic physics to work right? That's like the number one thing.
you can blame mario's physics on the base engine they used, fixing his physics are pretty low on the priority list
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I suppose I'll post in here...

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is a platforming fangame starring many of gaming's old greats as they band together to stop a threat across the video game universes. Here's the link to the channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam

To address some of the comments in here,

Most characters in MKF have extended platforming abilities, Mario included, some can jump farther and higher than in their original games, and many have gameplay alterations based on other game series.

The controls are not stiff, That's a complaint I've never heard before. Possibly related - some collision issues still need to be worked out. The difficulty curve is being tweaked as development goes on, and the upcoming beta version .5 has a save feature.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Hey there peeps beta version 0.5 is out. You can get it here: http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resourc ... 673.0.html

Have a release trailer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18pALdpK8ec
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

man, they are only half way done? (version -0.5-) How big do they expect the completed game to be?
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Zaidyer wrote:Man, what is the point of adding a million characters and stages if they can't even get Mario's basic physics to work right? That's like the number one thing.
It's the LittleBigPlanet philosophy of design.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

raocow wrote:man, they are only half way done? (version -0.5-) How big do they expect the completed game to be?
It's more like 80%, this is just the fifth release "wave". The next release will probably be the full game unless we do a quick .51 bugfix version.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Well, rather 60 percent. They have 200 stages in this game already. The final release is supposed to have roughly 300 levels plus a bonus world with 20 levels. :)

To be honest this game has gone way overboard. It is filled with many stages from many different games, but unfortunately this also destroys the replayability and the overall fun of this ambitious fangame: it has lost its focus. :( There is as good as no variety to the worlds: most of them consist of 30 minute levels and a bunch of map enemies. It is a damn shame because most of the people will just quit before finishing the game.

However, the devs still do an amazing job on it. I mean they work really hard. One of the lead devs, Lars Luron updated the entire code for this game in order to keep the frame rate high (before this general update the game suffered from constant frame rate drops).

raocow, I suggest not LPing the final version of this game. It would take way too long since I predict a total playtime of 40 hours. Also playing it privately would be a waste of precious time as well that could be better invested in other things since it is difficult as hell (I predict many unfair deaths due to blind jumps, weird collision issues, missing checkpoints and sudden traps like walls shooting out of the ground in the Energy Zone).
Of course I do not want to tell anyone what to play or not to play, but as someone who likes your videos and the joy that you bring to many people when they are watching your vids, I can just advise you to keep yourself happy and joyfull with other projects. :)

It is a good game, but it sure has its flaws.

The hunt begins!
raocow

Post by raocow »

200... 200 ?!

That is insane. Like... what.

I thought Production and Asmt kind of felt a bit long in the tooth and they're like less than half that.

That's just... I am speechless, hahaha.
Especially since I'm guessing a lot of them have to be kind of fillery. I mean, you can't have consistant quality with that sheer amount of numbers...
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Dude, what? I'm a developer, I know how complete it is. There are ~150 stages in .5, There are about 180 stages already finished. The total stage list is 215, and there's a good probability that will get cut down to ~205 - 210. Counting the playable characters that aren't finished, and the cutscenes I put it at about 80% completion. Where did you get the number 300 from?

Also I don't think you are giving raocow's gaming skills enough credit.
It is a good game, but it sure has its flaws.
A game that is still in beta, mind you. I don't know how you guys work with your collab hacks (I'd like to try making a stage for one, sometime) but we have been known to completely cut a stage out if we decide it's unsatisfactory, or cut parts of stages, redesign entire rooms, etc. Hopefully people won't find too much of what they'd consider filler. More likely than not, that would fall to their gaming history.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Haha, well yeah...
when I wrote this message it was still April 1st. It was a little Aprils Fool prank. Sorry, that you took it serious Aura, but you should know that I am a huge fan and supporter of MKF. :D So yeahh...
The game is good as it is. :P If you want to raocow, you can download it and play a few stages for yourself to get a feeling of how it plays. ;)
Except for the collision issue that I mentioned in my prank message it doesnt have any really big flaws. :)
Also, you would not believe it but most if not all of the levels are no fillers. :P Reason for that is that all of them are different landscape and mostly enemy wise so you have something new in every level.

The hunt begins!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

AuraLancer wrote: we have been known to completely cut a stage out if we decide it's unsatisfactory, or cut parts of stages, redesign entire rooms, etc.
Thank god. I applaud you for this
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Del

Post by Del »

WALL OF TEXT WARNING

Hi there folks, I'm Del, one of the main developers (just like AuraLancer here) behind the project Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. I've heard a few of my friends talk about raocow a couple times and his Let's Plays, then I looked at this topic and I noticed people don't have a very clear concept about the game so I decided to register in here (took a while, geez, you guys sure got a lot of spambots lol), just to make some stuff clear since the game seems to have gotten a not so good reputation in a few communities over time, mainly because they are expecting a perfect game from playing the early betas, which are supposed to be buggy, incomplete and incoherent, and because our old dev team made some very bad decisions and planning during early phases of development (such as having +300 incoherent levels planned and who knows how many characters).

I'll try to be as careful with spoilers as possible since I heard raocow doesn't like spoilers at all.

This game is a massive and very, very ambitious project, based mostly on a Super Mario Bros. 3 root gameplay.

It will have 10 main playable characters, those are the characters that will be the most balanced and will have a lot of power ups and gameplay options, plus around 10 more optional characters that can be either under or overpowered, but those will be a lot simpler than the main ten. You only start the game with Mario and Luigi and will unlock the rest of the characters little by little.

The game currently has around 220 planned levels in total, most of them are small-medium length sized levels which can be cleared in 3-10 minutes, greatly depending on the player's performance, the character being used, if the player decides to fully explore the level, and if the level has a boss. Some levels have a medium-large length, and there will be a few gargantuan-length levels that can take up to 20 minutes or half hour to clear even if you're a good player, but these will be minimal, having only 1 or 2 per world, and only in a few worlds.

The difficulty curve will work like this - each world will have a path of obligatory or mandatory levels you have to clear to progress. These levels will follow a difficulty curve as you progress, with mild difficulty spikes in some of them. We are trying to reuse as many enemies as possible in these levels to let the players learn how to deal with them slowly, but there's just so much we can do given the crossover nature of the game. An experienced player that has played a lot of video games and knows the universes these crossovered enemies and obstacles come from, will have a much easier time than occasional players. Then we will have optional/secret levels that can be accessed through different means i.e. alternate exits in mandatory levels, world backtracking, opening gates in the world maps, etc. These levels will not respect the difficulty curve, they can be easy or have a very high difficulty, varying also in length, and the enemies you encounter can be very strong and never seen before, but these levels are optional and have to be played at your own risk. Clearing them can give you different sorts of rewards like money or unlock more content.

A lot of people complained before about a "lack" of difficulty curve in the game, mostly because they don't realize it's a beta and played the game in debug mode i.e. they would go from World 1 to World 9 with a random character and then move to World 4 and play any level without noticing if it was mandatory or optional, and they saw the game as being very chaotic.

I know it's a lot of content, but we try to have quality control over the new levels and content in general we're making, we have a team of beta testers that give us as much feedback as they can and find many glitches, then usually we showcase these levels on YouTube to get further feedback from the public. Then we release playable demos of the game where people can play these levels and find yet more bugs and give more feedback, this allows us to redesign some levels that turn unpleasant in some parts, tweak certain spots where there's unfair enemy placement for example, add or remove power ups or checkpoints, nerf or buff enemies or bosses, etc. A few people have LP'd the released betas too, giving us perhaps the most useful feedback possible. I know you don't like spoiler, but here's a link to a video of one of the levels with the highest quality and acceptance from the public, if you'd like to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWeZMSY9fVk

A lot of people have complained about collision detection and physics, we're also working hard to improve them, I think the main problem remaining are those slopes... darn slopes, but they will be fixed soon.

And the biggest problem the game has is its performance, being built in Game Maker, perhaps the least resource-friendly game making application out there, and with the massive amount of content being added to the game, has made the game playable only on strong computers (2.2 or 2.5GHz in processor being the minimum req), but we're hoping we will reduce this in the final version once we finish polishing the code and externalize many resources among other possible solutions we can't do in the current betas since we still have to work in the game.

The game must be around 80-82% complete now, it will still take some time to be fully finished, but it'll be worth the wait, hope this cleared some of the confusion.

I'm not really sure if raocow would like to LP the game (oddly, someone in our latest video mentioned it would be awesome if he did, lol), but I can tell this game will be a great and very nostalgic experience if played even privately, it's worth a try.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

The game is pretty cool but I find it humiliating that a mario game makes my computer's fan go crazy after 10 minutes :(

Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Jesuiscontent wrote:The game is pretty cool but I find it humiliating that a mario game makes my computer's fan go crazy after 10 minutes :(
Yeah, the game is made with Game Maker. Unfortunately it needs a lot of performance BUT the devs are doing their best to improve this.
Plus Game Maker 9 was recently announced; it will be released soon. Let us hope it is performance friendlier.

The hunt begins!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I don't think Game Maker 9 will be released for awhile, and it may not be a good idea to look forward to having to port it over. A project as massive as MKF is sure to have its share of issues from a port to it, based on what I've heard is changing. The idea of the Game Maker apps running even faster sounds nice though.

I'm sure the MKF devs will have it fixed up by the final version. The improvements over time this last year should be a good indicator that they're very capable. The final game is sure to be a massive nostalgic mess of fun.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Ha, actually guys, check out a vid of this level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_ITPF9 ... 5SZf28I%3D

It is totally awesome. It is a world boss stage which means that it is the final stage in a certain world which has an encoutner against the World Boss, a boss that is more complex and difficult to fight than the regular bosses in normal stages. :)

The hunt begins!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Slit08 wrote:Plus Game Maker 9 was recently announced; it will be released soon.
No, it will not. GM9 is a complete rewrite of GameMaker in C++, and I don't believe its production has even started. What will come out soon is GM:Studio, and I'm not sure it'll be any faster than the current top version of GM, though I could be wrong. :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

So... with Lars and I being the only two people to touch the source file of this game in over two years, we decided to put the shambling corpse out to pasture. You can get the source file through this link - http://www.fusiongameworks.net/smf/inde ... 4.html#new

There's more info through the jump, but basically you'll need GameMaker 8 to do anything with it like exporting an exe or testing it. You'll also need Windows XP, Vista or 7 to play it or an exe without it crashing. This source isn't much different from the last beta release (.5.3), so if you just want to play go grab that. We've actually created a lot of content since then but none of it has been merged into the master source, sorry.

Here's a link to the last release: http://www.fusiongameworks.net/smf/inde ... 673.0.html
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

*drops shovel*
MKF is back in action with fresh blood. dooki51 picked it up months ago and has made several new releases. If you're interested in seeing what's new and what's coming up, try it yourself!

https://d-turbokiller.itch.io/mushroom-kingdom-fusion

I'm not personally involved in this renewal other than running the Discord (which there is a link to on the page, come join if you want), but I know some of you peeps will be intrigued by this news.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Newest release changes up quite a bit, including flat out remaking a bunch of stages. This will be a common theme going forward. Still working on porting the game to Studio to help with stability and getting it to run on Win 10 for some people.

https://fusion-fangaming.itch.io/mushro ... dom-fusion