(shouting)

A2MT Update Thread

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: A2MT Update Thread

Post by limepie20 »

The level is C5. I already had it claimed under Talkhaus so anyone who wants to make it is ready to go.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAwhat?? I mean yeah, I finished my level and I'm fairly proud of it, but it was pretty vanilla and I honestly would have no idea how to go about making your crazy shenanigans.

Although if I had adequate resources (for the messages/text and stuff I guess), I could perhaps design the level, if someone else were to code in all the codey things (permanent-star-thing, 'killing' the goalpost, etc). Though if you do want to thrust it upon me, I'd probably wait a week JUST IN CASE I decide to make a thing for the Talkhaus Contest.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

haha, I just said it that way to just make sure someone 'has' it but if you'd rather think someone else would be more.. equipped to do so, that's fine.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Although that IS a solution, I'd rather it'd be intergrated in a level anyway. It just.. 'looks' better. Like, I don't know about you guys, but to me now the rpg text tool just makes me frown everytime I see it.
Cup

Post by Cup »

An rpg text in the style of the cheetahmen 2 would be a lot of fun actually. I'd prefer that be the into to an interactive one honestly.

Keep it fast paced, silly, and fun. If you scroll through the slides as fast as that video, I think it'd set a perfect tone while still telling the story. Just keep the text very light and tongue in cheek. Plus since it's the intro, it can be easily skipped.

(But we should only do this if we can get that music)
raocow

Post by raocow »

Let's see how this would 'translate'...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Mwj21-Scw

The Artist is back with
new space demons! He wants to
stop Demo from
ruining his evil plans!

He creates seven sibblings. The
strongest space demons yet!

The Artist plans to use the
sibblings to destroy his failed
expirment [sic]... Demo! Iris!
And Catnip! [I unno, that yoshi-cat replacement]

You must help Demo
fight The Artist and his
evil team of stuff.

Stop The Artist before its [sic]
to [sic] late for Demo.
You can not [sic] let him destroy
Demo.

During the game you will have
Demo... The
same Demo in every
level to fight for you...... [I counted them, six periods]
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

When I read that idea, it made me laugh.
I think it would be hilarious, and it would set the mood, playful, for the rest of the game.
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
raocow

Post by raocow »

Because I like to muse useless about this project while we're STILL waiting after stragglers, I propose that to save some time we make the 'last level' by taking every screen number 04 of all non-test levels and sublevels of ASMT and string them together loosely, graphics and all.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

With graphics and all, it would be incredibly hard. But if we just made a nice castle tileset (like asmt's) and just strung together the structure of each screen 4, that would be cool.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Actually the best tileset would be something that looks painted or scribbled or something. Considering the theme and all. For enemies it's just a concern of putting logical levels together (ghosts levels string in a row, castle levels strung in a row, etc)
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

I still have no idea how the screens are supposed to be connected, as there will be unmakable jumps and cut-offs all-over-the-place. Also the level will be restricted on a single palette for back- and foreground, which will make many parts look incredibly weird.
Still: kind of a good yet crazy idea.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Think of it as an 'assemblage' puzzle for the level designer. You gotta put the puzzle pieces together in a way that makes sense!

The fun part is that litteraly anyone right now could give it an honest try, just putting 'stuff' together, and we can make cohesive graphics later.
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

At least you can try, yeah. Too bad Im kinda bad at hacking and stuff, else I would take part at the project aswell. I'd love to be some kind of overworld-designer, or atleast providing ideas.
Servant

Post by Servant »

I am willing to collaborate with Swirlybomb to try and integrate the introduction text with his intro level if we still want to do it. But that'll have to wait until school ends for me in May.

The introduction text is written in the style of a 'non-interactive cutscene' though, so it might take a while to rewrite it so that it could fit with whatever swrilybomb has designed.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Um, I haven't done anything. Especially if we'd want to do the Cheetahmen 2 idea- there wouldn't really need to be a 'level' designed for that. Unless the silly first idea is still on the table, in which case I could possibly find time to make a thing sometime, despite my previous overreaction.

Whatever text would be in the 'level' would have to be pretty concise, though- no huge exposition dump, otherwise it gets long and boring and the gag wears itself out.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Servant

Post by Servant »

Hmph. If that's the case, I might as well put the intro cut-scene text into the A2MT manual then, because I think it's still necessary.

I'll think about a concise summary to help people who don't read the manual get into the plot, but I suppose that depends on how the silly level is actually structured. How do you view the plot being delivered?
Servant

Post by Servant »

Rough Draft:
Hey Demo. I'm Iris. I kidnapped you from your Master so that you can be destroyed.

You're destined to destruction anyway, so don't feel bad. Them's the breaks, after all.

You have to be destroyed before I can 'exist'. And since I like 'existing', well...

It's a pleasant prison anyway, so just sit here until I formally send in the death squad. K?

(last part of the level, before Demo formally escapes from the 'intro' level) Wait, where you're going?

EDIT: Alternative last 'line':
"No, that's the exit. Turn around."
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

give me a day or two since im busy IRL and il fix the stuff again.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Servant wrote:Rough Draft:
Hey Demo. I'm Iris. I kidnapped you from your Master so that you can be destroyed.

You're destined to destruction anyway, so don't feel bad. Them's the breaks, after all.

You have to be destroyed before I can 'exist'. And since I like 'existing', well...

It's a pleasant prison anyway, so just sit here until I formally send in the death squad. K?

(last part of the level, before Demo formally escapes from the 'intro' level) Wait, where you're going?

EDIT: Alternative last 'line':
"No, that's the exit. Turn around."
Okay.

I could totally see this in an intro level thing somehow, with the text floating above the player (using Map16 I suppose?) as they move along, delivering a story introduction without taking control away from the player. The letter-blocks could even be destroyed on touch like everything else in the 'silly intro level' concept. But then again, would the dark foreboding text clash too much with the silly concept? Or maybe the area with the text is completely different from the area where Demo's invincible? Say, the first area looks something like a space-prison, after the "Wait, where are you going?/No, that's the exit. Turn around" line, the player is zapped to the more surreal area where Demo kills everything on touch? If it's acceptable enough for the story, I could possibly see it working in-game, in a mind-screwy kind of way.
Servant

Post by Servant »

I think what you'd propose would work. After all, there's going to be abstract levels anyway in this game (at least for the Switch Palaces), so the player might as well get used to it right off the bat.

So yeah, it's acceptable enough for the story.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14760273/Talkha ... 0rough.ips

SUPER-rough draft of what I'm thinking of this thing. The first area would obviously have some spifftastic custom graphics that look appropriately space-jail-y, but I just used super-boring castle tiles just to get a possible general layout idea. The star in the second area is for the purpose of simulating being invincible, since I would have no idea how to program the thingamajigger. All the objects would be destructible too, but I'm being super-lazy and not making custom blocks for that just yet. Etc etc etc. This is just a proof-of-concept/rough idea thing. Don't enter that door or use that key!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

For the intro I think the best solution would be to make a playable level with the text as a background.
Super idea: the level is completely black and you walk through a covered black tunnel, Demo is basically invisible.
On the upper half of the screen there are a few badly-made snapshots of Demo and Iris interacting with the text written below, the whole thing as foreground objects, like a comic strip.
At the end you either walk out of the black (no screen transition) and start with some random shenanigans level that shoots you into space America from where you land on the OW map, or the comic strip just ends and the intro is over.

For the reasonable-difficulty-normal boss level, graphic wise, we could either make an ordinary castle/mansion/gallery tileset or:
a tileset of different drawings and pieces of art that reflect the different themes in the other levels but are somewhat consistent.

By the way, I still didn't finish that Gelatin Factory level thing, had a hard time coming back to ROMhacking the last month, I also didn't get any message about finishing, so you might as well close the level if this is something that's just being waited on...

Basically my "I'm existing again" post
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

I was wondering if I am still supposed to be doing something or if I'm done? Haven't heard anything in a while, been kinda busy, my level is already inserted.
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Kevinskie555 wrote:I was wondering if I am still supposed to be doing something or if I'm done? Haven't heard anything in a while, been kinda busy, my level is already inserted.
If your level is inserted, then no.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Wrong. Test levels and give feedback
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw