(shouting)

A2MT Update Thread

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: A2MT Update Thread

Post by raocow »

FoD (FlamesofDoubt): do you still got that 'demo-made hall' graphic tile around?

As the levels are getting finalised and even the overworld are pretty much getting designed (just gotta make them at this point), we're going to have to look into adding these either bosses or cutscenes at the end of each end-of-world-stages. I figured what we could do, to create a sort of standard, is to go in each of these levels and replace the goal by a pipe. This pipe could lead to a small mini level, just like a hallways made of those graphics, not more than three screen longs. We could have a flavour of a 'demo clone charlie', and extra midpoint for those who have a boss, and the boss door go from there.

Just for an extra bit of flavour, and to create a common 'entrance' so to speak.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

This seems like a good thing to do.
The boss/hallway thing will require some sublevels to be used, though.

And especially the intro and the ending need cutscenes (as in asmt).
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Just wondering, after claiming a level, do I have a set amount of time to complete it?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

normaly I say 'it'd be nice to have something in testing a week after getting your ressources, and have something playable and hopefully clearable in two', unless your level demands a very high level of detail and programming, but I'll give you a little bit more let since you didn't seem aware of that.
Camoslash

Post by Camoslash »

Ohh, okay. Well thanks for the little bit of extension =) Guess it is hammer time right now! (MCHammerreferencelol)
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

something's weird.
I played Mad Science Laboratory in the new baserom and there is this part where you have to outrun a thwomp, but it goes off too early and kills you as soon as you start going.

This doesn't happen in the version of the level that I worked with, well I don't know what exactly in the baseROM causes this issue, but it will have to be changed in the already inserted level, because the level is currently unbeatable like that.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Paralars wrote:something's weird.
I played Mad Science Laboratory in the new baserom and there is this part where you have to outrun a thwomp, but it goes off too early and kills you as soon as you start going.

This doesn't happen in the version of the level that I worked with, well I don't know what exactly in the baseROM causes this issue, but it will have to be changed in the already inserted level, because the level is currently unbeatable like that.
Hrm, that's most likely a mistake on my part. I saw that the level had thwomps inserted on different sprite numbers, and I thought that those thwomps were the same because their names are the same as the other thwomps inserted the base ROM, so I made them use the same file. I'll fix it when I get the chance.

Disregard all of this.
SyStemkraSh5642

Quick Update:
+ = good, - = bad
+ Level 003 (Septentrion Pleiades - Skyway to Wonderland) is inserted
+ Level 00E (Septentrion Pleiades - Time Will Hide Your Way) is inserted
+ Level 124's blocks, sprites, and music inserted
- replace the levels with Parrot Coins
- Mad Science Laboratory's thwomps need to be fixed
- TurboPup's level cannot be inserted because it uses the same level slot as 018 (SyStemkraSh - Aerial Athletics), which is already inserted.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Huh, that last bit is surprising. I guess we should put turbopup's level 'in reserve' and just slot it in when there's room.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Alright, I'll do that.
SyStemkraSh5642

Maybe I can just forfeit my level slot and give it to TurboPup? All I have done is the graphics and about 2 screens, and I didn't claim anything else except a few ExGFX slots and the level itself.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

There is no need for that. We'll wait for more levels to free up.

e:
I mean if you think you can't finish your level then, yeah, you can forfeit it, but don't forfeit it to TurboPup just so his level gets in. Paralars is ahead of him on the reserve list anyway so the level would go to him.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

limepie20 wrote:There is no need for that. We'll wait for more levels to free up.

e:
I mean if you think you can't finish your level then, yeah, you can forfeit it, but don't forfeit it to TurboPup just so his level gets in. Paralars is ahead of him on the reserve list anyway so the level would go to him.
(emphasis added)
He would? Why? Isn't a cleared level more important than a potential level? Same with System forfeiting his?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well, that's just my opinion. I'd like it to be fair, but, Systemkrash, it's your choice entirely.
SyStemkraSh5642

limepie20 wrote:Well, that's just my opinion. I'd like it to be fair, but, Systemkrash, it's your choice entirely.
I don't want to see a completed level waiting when we're trying to finish the levels in A2MT, so let's get it in.
Alex suggested that we could insert TurboPup's completed level into 116, which was Alex's level slot before it went into dredge.
raocow

Post by raocow »

You know, if alex is going to insist, fine. Fine. Use up alex's level since he offered it. We still got the ressources of Alex's level anyway if someone ever tries to finish it or whatever.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wait, TurboPup already has level 122. That's odd. I guess either he made it under the wrong level or there was some weird level swappage earlier. Well, Systemkrash I guess inserting is fine. Here I made a new mwl that inserts into the right level for you.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14599145/122.mwl
SyStemkraSh5642

@ limepie20: Well in that case, I'll get this inserted then.

So, I guess this issue's been resolved..?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yessiree.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Though in that spirit, might as well... might as well remove Alex's level and give it to the next in line. I believe this would be another case of getting a level that's essentially completed right in, too. Limepie, if you would like to pm the lucky winner about this, that would be wonderful.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Gelatin Factory, coming right up!
I'll have what I already requested, please.
(in Signup thread)
SyStemkraSh5642

Small update. Lots of negatives.

+ = good, - = bad
+ I now have the format of the chest data (thanks Alex) and can hopefully begin inserting things
+- Level 122 (TurboPup - Phase Out) is inserted, but has a Map16 problem with its ground; you can fall through it in the third section
- Level 003's (Skyway to Wonderland) music is glitched; probably
missing a .bnk file
- replace the levels with Parrot Coins
- Mad Science Laboratory's thwomps need to be fixed
- 004 (Diddyboy100 - The Great Pit) needs to be edited for quality control; maybe this thread should be revived?

Level 10E:
Currently trying to make observations and see where the problem could be at.
Level 004:
Had an awesome conversation concerning level 004 on IRC at both #talkhaus and #smwcp. Both agreed that the level needed some "adjustments" and "tweaking". At the same time.

EDIT: Will be busy this week; progress may slow down.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Why do levels get Cleared and inserted in the first place if we're gonna change them afterwards either way?
Seems like a a waste of time.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

I've entered a testing phase for my level, once I finish that and rebalance it a little, I will test it to check out for bugs, and then I will post an ips for everyone else in the testing thread.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Paralars wrote:Why do levels get Cleared and inserted in the first place if we're gonna change them afterwards either way?
Seems like a a waste of time.
Things happen in the process of adding levels. Other levels could screw up because certain designers may overwrite ExGFX numbers or Map16. It happens a lot when you get a lot of people fooling around i the same ROM.

As for why the DESIGN gets changed .. well, testing and clearing seems like it irons out most of the flaws in a level, but at the same time, people may miss stuff or you may get a clearer who lazily lets a subpar one through. Subjective tastes may also factor in here - if a cleared level gets through because one person liked it but the vast majority hate it, then it'll likely need to be altered.

It's all part of the collab-making process, though. Nothing will be perfect on the first go, so multiple tests will be necessary to patch up stuff.